Good quality golf - need some advice

scubascuba3

I'm planning on coming to Thailand for a month or so and play golf. I'd like to base myself not too far from bangkok so i can go back every few days. The course needs to be good quality, and a good price.

Any recommendations of area and course? Stay at a nearby hotel? Ideally no cart but reading some golf reviews it seems common to have to use one. Can you get a good deal if you book a course for a month or several rounds?

I've spent several months in Thailand so not a Virgin but never played golf. I'm a golf club member, pretty good standard, so course needs to be good, no point paying good money for poor to average courses.

Any advice would be appreciated

Yes, the Pattaya area has the best concentration of courses, some of them very very good. Laem Chabang, Siam plantation and the Old Course being the best out the lot, but a bit more than 2000 baht and I think compulsory carts. A trip to Kancanaburi, about 2 hours NE of Bkk could also be an option. Evergreen and Blue Sapphire ( 400 baht unlimited golf weekdays) are two nice courses. If you are willing to travel around a bit there are some great deals to be had.

Best choice and prices are in the Pattaya area as about 25 course and good options. As noted by others, Pattaya Sports Club rates are good and most bars/societies are affiliated with PSC and use their rates. You pay the bar for transportation and competition fee if playing with one who has competitions which are most of them. Note the biggest hurdle for visitors whether in Bangkok or Pattaya is transportation. Expensive if you direct hire or rent a car but much better going with groups as they charge 200-300 Baht on average for transport. The Pattaya Mail (Friday English paper) has a round up of golf results for the previous week and posting of golf groups and where they are going for the following week. Saves going around to check out the various places. The upcoming schedule is not on their website although golf results typically are posted. A further note is that most bars play 2 to 3 days a week during Monday -Friday with some on weekend. Easy to sign up and join the groups when you get here. I have looked for similar option in Bangkok and there does not seem to be much.

• Like 2

As to carts, they normally only insist on you renting one on courses where the green to next tee distances are long, or where you have to go a long way round water. Even then, your caddy (they're compulsory too smile.png ) will drive it - there's no reason that you can't walk. You may hold up the game at times if your playing partners are all using carts, but you can always hop in if that's happening.

Brilliant info guys, thanks for that. Can you recommend a good hotel for location and price. In bangkok for example I know a couple I stay at for about 1000 baht a night or less. Anything in pattaya you recommend?

Have a look at http://www.golfclubpattaya.com/web/. That would seem to meet all your needs, golf + cheap room, and possibly more given that LK Metro is chock full of Pattaya's other attractions.