Enraged villagers protest over-sized truck nuisance, get results

webfact

Enraged villagers protest over-sized truck nuisance, get results
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Villagers_protesting_about_ov
Villagers protesting about over-sized trucks rumbling past their homes. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Villagers on Soi Han Farang finally lost their patience with the constant stream of over-sized trucks rumbling past their homes and held a protest yesterday afternoon to demand an end to what they view as a serious nuisance and health hazard.

The road is used many times a day by trucks bringing soil and construction materials to about half-a-dozen property-development companies in many areas such as Koh Keaw, Srisoonthorn and Pah Kok.

The nuisance is heightened by the fact that the road is in a bad state, causing soil to fall from many of the trucks.

“There's a one-kilometer stretch along the road that is in a poor state of repair. The trucks are even noisier there,” Koh Kaew Subdistrict Administrative Organization (OrBorTor) President Khuakiet Chitkhua said after his visit to the area.

“Locals are concerned about their health because of all the dust raised by the trucks,” he said.

Two months ago, the villagers staged a similar protest. Following negotiations, trucks were only allowed to use the road between 8am and 5pm, and were not allowed to use the road at all on Saturday and Sunday.

“Despite those strictures, the villagers got tired of the trucks and all the dust. That was why they protested again yesterday,” Mr Khuakiet said.

In response to the most recent protest, Mr Khuakiet has banned all over-sized trucks from the road and has set aside a 4-million-baht budget to fix the roadway.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Enraged-villagers-protest-over-sized-truck-nuisance-get-results-22352.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-27

Have the same problems here for years already. Drives one nuts. Incredible amounts of dust and diesel from those 50 yrs old antique trucks. Have a 2 m high liguster wall along the roadside. Looks completely black on the roadside. For years the road added a few holes every week, worsening the amounts because thet get paid per load, thus drive as fast as possible. Now this year they build a new cocrete road. Makes it somewhat better. Thank god the pit has almost reached its finishline. But trust me it is a big misery those nonstop trucks. PS the road costed 3.2 mB.

• Like 1

For that amount of baht it could be gold plated.

For that amount it could be done nicely and orderly, not cheeting

so good on them...

glegolo

And that's including the skim. Unfortunately, all that means is more dosh for the back pockets and

less quality for the pavement (which for that amount of money should be cement/concrete.

And life goes on wink.png

Good on them, this sort of thing needs to happen more. I am shocked to hear Thais complain about the noise, they think I am crazy when I shout at the irritating bloody dogs across the street to shut the hell up ! Most Bangkokians seem to love being as noisy as they can, it severely irritates me...I wish people here would speak up; and protest more often, it's the only way things will ever get better...

• Like 2

What do you mean with an over-sized trucks ? Is it bigger than allowed ? Thailand do not have any regulations regarding noise, pollution from trucks, noise pollution in general, and no thai do care about his next. If they have regulations they do not enforce them as most of the other regulations and laws. Thailand is a 3rd world country and will be forever, as I can imagine. Maybe 4th world country.

• Like 2

Have the same problems here for years already. Drives one nuts. Incredible amounts of dust and diesel from those 50 yrs old antique trucks. Have a 2 m high liguster wall along the roadside. Looks completely black on the roadside. For years the road added a few holes every week, worsening the amounts because thet get paid per load, thus drive as fast as possible. Now this year they build a new cocrete road. Makes it somewhat better. Thank god the pit has almost reached its finishline. But trust me it is a big misery those nonstop trucks. PS the road costed 3.2 mB.

How do you think all those holes get on the roads? There are weigh stations all over Thailand, and the only purpose they serve is to make tea money for the weigh station workers.They will in all likelyhood be on a par with the BiB.