Patong Mayor Pian suspended

webfact

Patong Mayor Pian suspended
Phuket Gazette

patm.jpg
Patong Mayor Pian Keesin has been suspended from office pending a court hearing on allegations of vote fraud. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Patong Mayor Pian Keesin was suspended from office by the Administrative Court Region 8 in Phuket Town yesterday over a vote fraud complaint filed against him by the Election Commission in Bangkok.

“We received the court order yesterday instructing Mayor Pian to cease all activities in his capacity as Mayor of Patong,” confirmed an official at Mayor Pian’s office.

“He is now waiting to receive a subpoena notifying him of when to present himself to the court and testify in the hearing concerning the complaint against him,” she added.

Mayor Pian will remain suspended from office until the court hands down its verdict, the official explained.

“In the meantime, Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban will fulfill duties as Acting Mayor,” she said.

The court also suspended all five members of Mayor Pian’s Rak Patong (Love Patong) party who won Patong Council seats in Voting District 1 in the September 3 election last year.

The councilors suspended from office are Jaroern Khwanyeun, Prasarn Noochet, Prasit Phatkor, Mana Phanchalad and Narong Cheuayuan.

Mayor Pian and the five councilors stand accused of importing voters specifically to cast votes in the election.

A complaint against the “Patong Six” was filed with the Phuket Election Commission (PEC) after discrepancies were noticed between the number of votes cast in Patong Voting District 1 and the number of voters registered in the area.

The only councilor to win – and so far, and keep – a seat in Patong Voting District 1 from last year’s election is Chalermsak Maneesri of the Patong Gao Na (Patong Progress) party.

Mr Chalermsak was ordered out of office in 2003 after he was found guilty of importing voters specifically to cast votes in the election (story here).

Just one year earlier, Mr Chalermsak’s brother, Surasak, was ordered out of office by the then-Interior Minister Purachai Piemsomboon, who accused Mr Surasak of bringing the office of mayor into disrepute.

The complaint against Mayor Pian and the five councilors was filed by Tachapon Khamintong, an officer at the Kathu District Office.

The Kathu District Office is headed by Kathu District Veera Kerdsirimongkol, who personally posted the complaint online on August 10.

The complaint also follows Mayor Pian being publicly named by Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Director-general Tarit Pengdith as being under investigation on suspicion of involvement in the Phuket “taxi mafia”.

If the court does rule against Mayor Pian, he will be allowed to run for re-election, confirmed PEC Director Kittipong Thiengkunakrit.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Patong-Mayor-Pian-suspended-22351.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-27

Yet to be transferred to an inactive position though.

Which means he can't make decisions,

but the kick backs still flow to him.

He is elected, so there will not be any transfer to an inactive position.

This is the second time lately he has faced a major setback.

In past times he was never named in any kind of negative tone, but the times are changing.

• Like 1

In past times he was never named in any kind of negative tone, but the times are changing.

I agree, he has been more in the spotlight lately, However, if "times are changing" - they are not changing fast enough to save this island from going broke.

Under the past, and current management, which are the same - look at the damage they have done to the tourism industry here.

Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years.

I agree, he has been more in the spotlight lately, However, if "times are changing" - they are not changing fast enough to save this island from going broke.

Under the past, and current management, which are the same - look at the damage they have done to the tourism industry here.

Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years.

"Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years."

If it is to regain the tourism it lost over the last 2 or 3 years within 1-2 years I agree with you. But these things take time, and it will take a few years for things to really change.

Also, I don't think the 'lost tourism' will come back, things never go back to the way they were. But with fundamental changes, which are slowly slowly starting to happen now, it will be on the up again in a few years. And I don't mean tourist numbers, because these are up, but I mean another change in tourist demography.

• Like 1

"Things need to change a lot quicker if Phuket is to regain the tourism it has lost over the last 2 to 3 years."

If it is to regain the tourism it lost over the last 2 or 3 years within 1-2 years I agree with you. But these things take time, and it will take a few years for things to really change.

Also, I don't think the 'lost tourism' will come back, things never go back to the way they were. But with fundamental changes, which are slowly slowly starting to happen now, it will be on the up again in a few years. And I don't mean tourist numbers, because these are up, but I mean another change in tourist demography.

If positive change moves so slowly here, it will continue to decline, more rapidly, to the point that a huge market share of the lucrative western market has gone.

Once they are gone, it's very difficult to lure them back.

I would suggest a major restructure is needed, ASAP, to stop Phuket hemorrhaging what is let of the traditional western market.

The "slowly slowly" approach, so that "influential people" can organise their assets and financial affairs, save face etc etc will not affect change quick enough to save the Phuket economy from the rapid decline we are seeing now.

In my opinion - Too late already

• Like 1

Criminal charge and prison sentence, anyone?

Naa, just get sidelined and have your snout pushed out of the trough for a few months.

The last thing anyone with power wants to do here is open the Pandora's box of local godfathers politicians actually having to face charges for their criminal offences.

Worst case is he will go back to being Patongs kamnan (village chief) like he was before becoming mayor. The kamnan is very similar to mayor.

You have definitely changed your, previously hopeful attitude to pessimism. Why?

I think ever since the DSI has come to the island, there has been new positive shine to Phuket. The changes will take it's own time, but at least the path have possibility to go for the better.

You have definitely changed your, previously hopeful attitude to pessimism. Why?

I think ever since the DSI has come to the island, there has been new positive shine to Phuket. The changes will take it's own time, but at least the path have possibility to go for the better.

Over the years I have taken a neutral position about Patong. In the last year or so I have become more pessimistic. For sure the DSI are making a show of cleaning up. Note I say 'show'. Lets see if there is really any changes. But we won't know for a few years.

Over the years I have taken a neutral position about Patong. In the last year or so I have become more pessimistic. For sure the DSI are making a show of cleaning up. Note I say 'show'. Lets see if there is really any changes. But we won't know for a few years.

The way I see this show, is that we are now witnessing an power battle, which will take some time. DSI is slowly getting control of some of Phuket's activities, which has gone wrong for a long time.

This is to gain trust of the middle class people, who are still too afraid to go against the thugs. When DSI is more trusted, it have much more power to do the actual cleaning.

First thing DSI did when it came to the island, was naming the few powerful people on the island. That was something that at least I have never heard done before.

Now Pian is taken out of the power, at least temporarily. This will give some time to change voters attitudes. It would be triumph if he would not be elected when there is next elections. The more time goes by, the less likely it is that he would be re-elected.

This is also a message to others. If Pian can be taken out, then it's possible to happen to them as well.

Maybe I'm just being overly positive, but at least it makes the waiting more enjoyable.

Is it "pessimism" or "realism?"

• Like 1

The way I see this show, is that we are now witnessing an power battle, which will take some time. DSI is slowly getting control of some of Phuket's activities, which has gone wrong for a long time.

This is to gain trust of the middle class people, who are still too afraid to go against the thugs. When DSI is more trusted, it have much more power to do the actual cleaning.

First thing DSI did when it came to the island, was naming the few powerful people on the island. That was something that at least I have never heard done before.

Now Pian is taken out of the power, at least temporarily. This will give some time to change voters attitudes. It would be triumph if he would not be elected when there is next elections. The more time goes by, the less likely it is that he would be re-elected.

This is also a message to others. If Pian can be taken out, then it's possible to happen to them as well.

Maybe I'm just being overly positive, but at least it makes the waiting more enjoyable.

Does Pian have a sister?

Maybe she will be "elected" in as Mayor. :) :)

• Like 2

Is it "pessimism" or "realism?"

Why do only pessimists call their views 'realistic' and those of optimists 'rose tinted'? Why don't optimists call their views 'realistic' and those of the pessimists 'black tinted'?

If Pian is not voted for next time, the winner will just be another "pig" wanting a good feed at the trough.

Sorry, but, until the Thai people have a sea change in attitude towards corruption, short-termism and to show a willingness to subsume their own interests for the good of the many, then the only changes you see will be the faces.

Therefore, if Pian is re-elected again, it will be the same as putting lipstick on a pig.

If Pian is not voted for next time, the winner will just be another "pig" wanting a good feed at the trough.

Sorry, but, until the Thai people have a sea change in attitude towards corruption, short-termism and to show a willingness to subsume their own interests for the good of the many, then the only changes you see will be the faces.

I agree, and the only way their attitude will change is when Phuket, which is themselves, goes broke. Then, they might implement some positive changes in order to compete.

The "Phuket brand" has been severely devalued over the last 2 years.