Farang Scavenger

keestha

Could have been a drug pick up.

Could have been a private investigator going through the targets rubbish.

There could have been waste from a nearby business that he uses. Eg. sawdust for gardening etc.

There could be many other reasons for what he was doing other than looking to recycle something because he is skint.

I have met a few homeless foreigners living in Thailand. Once in Phuket town I was approached by one in KFC with a sob story begging for money. It has been reported in the media recently that the number of homeless foreigners living in Thailand is increasing.

"No reason to feel superior though, life has its twists and turns, and anybody could end up in a situation like this". Very true.

We never know what cards fate will deal us in the next few days. One year you can be a millionaire and the next year you could be sorting through the bins.

Sympathy for all the people that live like this but maybe they'll pull themselves back up.

Rubbish....it's all down to the choices we make and going from millionaire to rag-picker is very, very unlikely.

• Like 2

There is a beggar farang that hangs out at the fountain outside Villa market rear entrance.

He is there right now and asked me for 20 baht so he could buy some bread.

I don't mind giving people money if their hungry or in need but if they waste it on beer they get no sympathy from me.

I told him that and he assured me its for food.

Look out for him. Thick Northern English accent but looks quite normal and not homeless looking.

You're all assuming that all of these 'scavengers' are down on their luck. Some are, some are taking advantage of turning what many of the those who subscribe to consumer culture 'rubbish' be recycled. There is one farang who told me she and her husband use my particular area as their hunting ground biggrin.png Even the stuff the Thais won't touch (and that's not much) such as polystyrene is collected and broken up to add to their too-densely filled soil packs. How kewl is that?

I remember neighbours in the UK simply throwing out good rugs/furniture which could be updated with a clean/lick of paint. So much waste.

Even Art - Watch Waste Land. Fantastic documentary.

If you'd been in the Chalong area 12-15 years ago then you might have seen me

going through a few bins.I wasn't skint, I was trying to feed 55 geese using the

the bakery throw aways.

Cut off the green stuff,dunk the bread in water and the geese were happy.

Agree for the most parts with jpegs comments.

• Like 2

There is a beggar farang that hangs out at the fountain outside Villa market rear entrance.

I don't mind giving people money if their hungry or in need but if they waste it on beer they get no sympathy from me.

Look out for him. Thick Northern English accent but looks quite normal and not homeless looking.

I just walked into villa not less than 10 minutes ago and a man approached me. I gave him the money (20 baht) after he admitted to me it was for an Archer.

Luckily wine and sherry is expensive in Thailand. Otherwise there would be bums all over the place

I just walked into villa not less than 10 minutes ago and a man approached me. I gave him the money (20 baht) after he admitted to me it was for an Archer.

Luckily wine and sherry is expensive in Thailand. Otherwise there would be bums all over the place

Didn't know you were Scottish :) With the recent price increase should have given him at least 25.

If you'd been in the Chalong area 12-15 years ago then you might have seen me

going through a few bins.I wasn't skint, I was trying to feed 55 geese using the

the bakery throw aways.

Cut off the green stuff,dunk the bread in water and the geese were happy.

Agree for the most parts with jpegs comments.

If you were seen doing that now, you would be arrested for "working" without a work permit (geese farming) but allowed to remain on Phuket, for the right amount of "tea money."

How times have changed on Phuket. :) :)

Surely beggars, buskers and bums wouldnt have a work permit or visas. Their first priority is alcohol

Interesting post.

Is "recycling" an occupation reserved for Thai's only? Can a foreigner have a "recycling business/company?" Would that allow him to scavenge through garbage bins, legally? :)

Surely beggars, buskers and bums wouldnt have a work permit or visas. Their first priority is alcohol

Interesting post.

Is "recycling" an occupation reserved for Thai's only? Can a foreigner have a "recycling business/company?" Would that allow him to scavenge through garbage bins, legally? smile.png

It wouldn't. The foreigner would only be allowed to work as the general manager of the recycling business, assuming it is not on the prohibited occupations list. For those whose dream it is to scavenge themselves legally, the only way would be to first acquire Thai nationality.

By the way a load of paper, plastic, glass and metal which fits piled up on the back of a pick up easily bring in about 1100 Baht. So I don't pity the Thai scavengers too much, filling up the salaeng (motorcycle with side car) several times a day, they make way over the minimum wage. At the other hand it is a bit of a loss of face for status conscious Asians to do this, once the wife of an acquaintance blushed heavily when she saw I noticed her scavenging.

Interesting post. 

Is "recycling" an occupation reserved for Thai's only?  Can a foreigner have a "recycling business/company?"  Would that allow him to scavenge through garbage bins, legally? Posted Image

It wouldn't. The foreigner would only be allowed to work as the general manager of the recycling business, assuming it is not on the prohibited occupations list. For those whose dream it is to scavenge themselves legally, the only way would be to first acquire Thai nationality.

By the way a load of paper, plastic, glass and metal which fits piled up on the back of a pick up easily bring in about 1100 Baht. So I don't pity the Thai scavengers too much, filling up the salaeng (motorcycle with side car) several times a day, they make way over  the minimum wage. At the other hand it is a bit of a loss of face for status conscious Asians to do this, once the wife of an acquaintance blushed heavily when she saw I noticed her scavenging.

Not only Thais would lose face. I would be embarrassed by a farang scavanging company.