general visitor UK

You should write a sponsor's letter briefly outlining the history of your relationship, your plans for the future and the reason for her visit at this time.

Evidence of your relationship, phone records, email headers etc. to show contact if you live in the UK; A copy of your passport to show your immigration status if you live in Thailand and any evidence you may have, such as letters addressed to each of you, if you live together in Thailand.

Her circumstances in Thailand, e.g. employer's letter if she works confirming that she does, the amount of holiday she will be given and that she will still have a job on her return. Note that the embassy may phone the author to confirm the details and if this, or any other supporting letter, is written in English then they will doubt it's authenticity if the author is unable to speak to them in English. If it's written in Thai then they will be happy to speak to the author in Thai. If she studies, a similar letter from her place of study. If she owns land, evidence of this.

Evidence that the finances are available to fund the visit; last 6 months bank statements and pay slips are best.

Evidence of the accommodation available; such as a brief description of the property and who else lives there to show there is a room available for her use; sharing a room with you or with another female is acceptable. If staying with a friend or relative then a letter of invitation from them confirming these details. It would help if you can include a mortgage statement or other evidence to prove ownership or a landlord's letter confirming she can stay there; whichever is relevant.

See this guide for more suggestions. Not all suggestions will be relevant to you.

• Like 1

It's not been that long since we did this for the first time, though you refer to her as a friend whereas in our case she was/is my girlfriend so maybe different circumstances, but perhaps my input will help (someone) a little.

Preparation is everything, check it, and check it again. I made some really basic mistakes and made some assumptions... you shouldn't. It resulted in our first application being refused, but after addressing where we went wrong her visa was granted second time around. We'd only been together for 6 months by that time, she came over in June and we go back together in October (to get married, one of her reasons to return), so no reason as many people suggest to keep the visit to a month, if they're happy she'll go back I think we've proved a longer visit should be okay.

As for the mistakes we made, my girlfriend stopped work and moved back home so I was supporting her, but I didn't highlight any payments to her in my proof of income paperwork, nor did we include her bank statement showing receipt of any monies. If you support your girlfriend, show clear evidence of that. And I stated that there was no export facility for Facebook chat and free Internet Skype video conversations so hoped they'd accept that on face value. Nope, you've got to be kidding, if it's not tangible evidence they won't consider it. In the end I was able to take and print dozens of screenshots of Facebook chat from many different days (make sure a different date is visible on each grab), and show Skype calls (conversation -> view old messages, ctrl-a to select all then ctrl-c to copy, paste into a Word document and edit - I removed personal chat and just left all the "call to" and "call ended" entries which in our case was 11 pages of size 8 font with narrow margins, so hundreds of calls every day we were apart). I also included copies of my mobile phone bills highlighting all calls to Thailand on my standard bill, and explaining I had a second WorldSIM phone specifically for talking to her (again first time round they picked up that the phone number given for me wasn't the WorldSIM number so make sure you explain if you use more than one number).

For her ID we used passport, ID card and house book, We included my passport to prove I'm a British citizen, and included the visa stamp pages to show I'd been to Thailand 3 times. As proof we'd met I included 3 pages (of 8 photos) in a timeline giving date taken and a very short description against each photo.

Not sure what stage you're at or any specifics of your relationship, but good luck...

Edited by GarryUK
  • Like 2

It's not been that long since we did this for the first time, though you refer to her as a friend whereas in our case she was/is my girlfriend so maybe different circumstances, but perhaps my input will help (someone) a little.

Preparation is everything, check it, and check it again. I made some really basic mistakes and made some assumptions... you shouldn't. It resulted in our first application being refused, but after addressing where we went wrong her visa was granted second time around. We'd only been together for 6 months by that time, she came over in June and we go back together in October (to get married, one of her reasons to return), so no reason as many people suggest to keep the visit to a month, if they're happy she'll go back I think we've proved a longer visit should be okay.

As for the mistakes we made, my girlfriend stopped work and moved back home so I was supporting her, but I didn't highlight any payments to her in my proof of income paperwork, nor did we include her bank statement showing receipt of any monies. If you support your girlfriend, show clear evidence of that. And I stated that there was no export facility for Facebook chat and free Internet Skype video conversations so hoped they'd accept that on face value. Nope, you've got to be kidding, if it's not tangible evidence they won't consider it. In the end I was able to take and print dozens of screenshots of Facebook chat from many different days (make sure a different date is visible on each grab), and show Skype calls (conversation -> view old messages, ctrl-a to select all then ctrl-c to copy, paste into a Word document and edit - I removed personal chat and just left all the "call to" and "call ended" entries which in our case was 11 pages of size 8 font with narrow margins, so hundreds of calls every day we were apart). I also included copies of my mobile phone bills highlighting all calls to Thailand on my standard bill, and explaining I had a second WorldSIM phone specifically for talking to her (again first time round they picked up that the phone number given for me wasn't the WorldSIM number so make sure you explain if you use more than one number).

For her ID we used passport, ID card and house book, We included my passport to prove I'm a British citizen, and included the visa stamp pages to show I'd been to Thailand 3 times. As proof we'd met I included 3 pages (of 8 photos) in a timeline giving date taken and a very short description against each photo.

Not sure what stage you're at or any specifics of your relationship, but good luck...

many thanks Gary this most helpful I will do as you have suggested

I understand any evidence of a reason to return to Thailand and not stay in the UK is most important.

A letter of employment should be a big help.

A 'sponsor' letter from yourself to say you will be responsible for her welfare and expenses in the UK. Date stamped photos good too. The more paper work you can provide the better.

My GF was granted a visitors visit. The flaky bit I only had was a reason to return to Thailand so in my letter I made it clear she will return by the visa expiry date so not to jepodise any future visa applications. I will travel back with her as well. I also stated I would fund her ticket back if she wanted to go back earlier than we had planned. I made her application into sections and into a nice folder. You can cut and paste Skype calls which I did. Now we use Tango which might be a problem next time round but I will deal with that then.

Her visa was granted in 3 weeks, no job and 900bht in the bank when I brought her over. Her 4 month stay here this summer has done wonders, as she went back and got a job, understands how expensive it is to live in th UK and values the money I send her each money as she has seen I work very hard for it. She has left a stack of clothes and other items here in the UK so I am guessings she wants to come back next year.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My GF was granted a visitors visit. The flaky bit I only had was a reason to return to Thailand so in my letter I made it clear she will return by the visa expiry date so not to jepodise any future visa applications. I will travel back with her as well. I also stated I would fund her ticket back if she wanted to go back earlier than we had planned. I made her application into sections and into a nice folder. You can cut and paste Skype calls which I did. Now we use Tango which might be a problem next time round but I will deal with that then.

Her visa was granted in 3 weeks, no job and 900bht in the bank when I brought her over. Her 4 month stay here this summer has done wonders, as she went back and got a job, understands how expensive it is to live in th UK and values the money I send her each money as she has seen I work very hard for it. She has left a stack of clothes and other items here in the UK so I am guessings she wants to come back next year.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app thank you for input much appreciated