What's the cost per gallon for fuel here?

ClareQuilty

I was just calculating, and given that the PTT yellow 'real gasoline' that I use tends to run around 47 baht per liter, and given that there are supposedly 3.78 liters per gallon, that's 178 baht per gallon, or about $5.70/gallon at today's exchange rate (about 31.3).

That's pretty shocking. Almost 65% higher than in the USA, according to gasbuddy dot com.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont know where you get your figures unless it's US Gallons. But in the UK its 4.5 litres to a gallon. which makes the conversion to Baht at 47 Baht to a GBP = 211.5

Per litre in the UK it's £1.42 a litre X 4.5 = £6.39, times that by 47 Baht = 299.8 Bahts to a gallon.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

I dont know where you get your figures unless it's US Gallons. But in the UK its 4.5 litres to a gallon. which makes the conversion to Baht at 47 Baht to a GBP = 211.5

Per litre in the UK it's £1.42 a litre X 4.5 = £6.39, times that by 47 Baht = 299.8 Bahts to a gallon.

Since he is quoting in dollars ($) then assume US gallon. 1 US gallon = 0.832674 imperial gallons so his figure is correct at $5.74 USD / US gallon based on 91 regular. Price of regular gas in the US is around $3.587/gallon at the moment.

However, PTT shows no listing of regular (non-gasohol) 91 but 95 at that price. So 91 gasohol is about $4.42 USD/gallon. This article showing Thailand ranks 47th most expensive for gasoline - Highest & Cheapest Gas prices by country. Turkey ranks #1 at $9.89/gallon. Kuwait cheapest at $.81/gallon or 25 Baht/gallon or 6.6 Baht/liter smile.png

//Edit - when I first moved to Thailand it was around 11 Baht/liter for 91 regular.

• Like 1

Since he is quoting in dollars ($) then assume US gallon. 1 US gallon = 0.832674 imperial gallons so his figure is correct at $5.74 USD / US gallon based on 91 regular. Price of regular gas in the US is around $3.587/gallon at the moment.

However, PTT shows no listing of regular (non-gasohol) 91 but 95 at that price. So 91 gasohol is about $4.42 USD/gallon. This article showing Thailand ranks 47th most expensive for gasoline - Highest & Cheapest Gas prices by country. Turkey ranks #1 at $9.89/gallon. Kuwait cheapest at $.81/gallon or 25 Baht/gallon or 6.6 Baht/liter smile.png

//Edit - when I first moved to Thailand it was around 11 Baht/liter for 91 regular.

I'm sorry but he's correct which is another reason I left among many others like nearly EVERY other primary living expense being cheaper and better quality and even getting a worthwhile job, gas here is only about 3.25 to 3.45 per gallon for 91 gasohol. my V6 VW GTI takes 93 and up and it's only 3.65 per gallon at the discount stations like Sams club etc. never been close to $4 per gallon in the year I've been back.. It's relative to where you live/lived as places like Ca have ridiculous taxes included in their fuel prices..

never been close to $4 per gallon in the year I've been back.. It's relative to where you live/lived as places like Ca have ridiculous taxes included in their fuel prices..

In case you are referring to my post, the $4.42 USD/gallon is the Thai equivalent price for 91 gasohol here versus $3.58/gallon in the US. It is a comparison to what it cost in the US versus here.

• Like 1

never been close to $4 per gallon in the year I've been back.. It's relative to where you live/lived as places like Ca have ridiculous taxes included in their fuel prices..

In case you are referring to my post, the $4.42 USD/gallon is the Thai equivalent price for 91 gasohol here versus $3.58/gallon in the US. It is a comparison to what it cost in the US versus here.

Ok, my head is spinning now, this is the third time I've edited this, I think we're saying the same thing, can't quite tell anymore..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Gallons are not an international accepted unit.

All accepted units are mentioned in the SI table. Better use liters.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It'd be advisable to read the thread, liters are compared to gallons in volume versus price so it is relative..

If you feel the need to compare to gallons you still use them?

Try this: a box from 0.1x0.1x0.1 m(eter) holds exactly 1 liter pure water with an exact weight of 1 kilo at 20 degrees Celsius or better 293 Kelvin.

Try this with imperial units. All car manufacturers also USA use SI units.

Your crusade to convert the 400 million odd people who still use imperial measures starts in this thread? :D

• Like 2

Claire,

If my calculations are correct. US gasoline is 10% ethanol so you need to compare apples to apples. At 38.63 Baht/litre and US gas at 3.57 a gallon average then our fuel is 30% more expensive.

(38.63 x 3.785)/31.27 = $4.67/US gal.

Edited by VocalNeal

I started 500 years ago with this crusade. In that time every European city had its own units. Now there are two big systems left. The SI one (the biggest, and also used under scientists all over the world) and the imperial one. So I am quite successful until now....

Then you will know that 3.785 litres is actually the old Wine gallon taken to the US by the original settlers from England. 4.5 litres is the Imperial "standardized" gallon created in the 19th Century to end your 500 years of confusion.

Even with SI little is standard. Is fuel consumption in kilometres/litre or litres/100km? Beer is sold in cans of 330ml or 660ml, wine or spirits in 750ml or 1litre. Coke is sold in 330ml or 440ml.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

It'd be advisable to read the thread, liters are compared to gallons in volume versus price so it is relative..

I suppose obvious but maths is sometimes confuses and is difficult for some, the metric system is so much easier for everyone, and yes you are right in respect of it being relative, as long as people think US gallon so many litres, UK gallon so many litres, my daughter would love the price of fuel to be the same in the UK as it is in Thailand, I think I would be in thinking correctly that the USA has always benefited from cheap fuel.

• Like 2

Bottom line is I noticed this on my last vacation. It is more expensive than in the US to run a car here.

I seriously doubt it is cheaper to run a car in the USA.

Tax, insurance and maintenance costs in Thailand are very low.

Correct me if i´m mistaken:

-Cars are more expensive in Thailand than in the US for sure.

-Fuel is more expensive in Thailand.

-Insurance in Thailand is not cheap if you go for a good premium with 100% coverage (not 80 or 90%). Camry 2.4 is roughly 30.000 per year?

-Tax, average would be 2-3000 Baht per year. Maybe 4-6000 for premium cars, V6, high ccm

-Maintenance costs, the biggest difference and plus for Thailand as they can rely on super cheap labour. Parts aren´t much cheaper.

I think this is a close thing? Thailand maybe in the long term of a car´s lifecycle.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Bottom line is I noticed this on my last vacation. It is more expensive than in the US to run a car here.

Correct me if i´m mistaken:

-Cars are more expensive in Thailand than in the US for sure.

-Fuel is more expensive in Thailand.

-Insurance in Thailand is not cheap if you go for a good premium with 100% coverage (not 80 or 90%). Camry 2.4 is roughly 30.000 per year?

-Tax, average would be 2-3000 Baht per year. Maybe 4-6000 for premium cars, V6, high ccm

-Maintenance costs, the biggest difference and plus for Thailand as they can rely on super cheap labour. Parts aren´t much cheaper.

I think this is a close thing? Thailand maybe in the long term of a car´s lifecycle.

But resale value is much higher as well, so the higher initial price is compensated to a great extend.

I have no idea about the endresult BTW, but maybe somebody else has made some calculations.

Neither are barrels.

But try looking up the worldwide price of a liter of crude oil. Anywhere.

BTW, a barrel of oil is defined as 42 US gallons of oil. Where's that in the SI tables?

Edited by impulse

@maprao, calculated guess? Guessed guess? Or just a guess?

Absolute fact on EVERY aspect except for insurance and possibly upkeep of older cars but in both instances you also get what you pay for.

JFYI IMO I think many TEFLR's should stay off the motoring forum, it's simplistic math and no reason to attempt to convolute it so pedantically.. No offense Claire your point was well stated..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

I suppose obvious but maths is sometimes confuses and is difficult for some, the metric system is so much easier for everyone, and yes you are right in respect of it being relative, as long as people think US gallon so many litres, UK gallon so many litres, my daughter would love the price of fuel to be the same in the UK as it is in Thailand, I think I would be in thinking correctly that the USA has always benefited from cheap fuel.

Yes we have benefited from inexpensive fuel relatively speaking the country's size and resources make it possible as well as the market for outside producers to offer their products competitively. What most people haven't noticed is China's booming fuel hunger over the last 20 years is the primary catalyst for global price increases. Just in my lifetime ,which is not that long, I have seen .25 per gallon to what it is now. I did the math years ago and only for a short period when the dollar was 44 versus the baht and there were fuel subsidies that fuel and other commodities were even close to cheaper living in Thailand, even simple things like good tomatoes as another example.

Were it not for my family I'd a left years ago because between lack of solid, worthy employment and higher prices across the board and so many other negative factors there was nothing of benefit there for me, (cue poo slingers).. The reality is that's why so many Americans don't travel or live internationally there is not much more to offer on the other side and we're often criticized for that as being self absorbed or arrogant (I prefer to think blessed) but that criticism also comes out of an ignorance of where/what we come from. Any climate, any landscape one could want and all of it mostly clean and spacious. There is some beautiful country and people in Thailand it/they're just too hard to find these days IMO, end of rant..

• Like 1

See my post above, it most certainly is and tax is so far more expensive there for vanilla cars it isn't even comical it's sad.. As for the others, you get what you pay for.. I'd also add that due to such a savings in fuel it brings us back to nearly equality for the other costs, so overall add in all other reasoning and driving here versus there is nobrainer on which is cheaper and offers more enjoyable choices, hands down, the US.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

@maprao, calculated guess? Guessed guess? Or just a guess?

The feeling I got from running two cars (which I own) that I keep in Thailand "parked up" and use when I am there on vacation. Just felt it was expensive. I wonder how people in Thailand run cars where the average wage is far less than what we I I get in the west. If I feel it is expensive they must be hurting....

Edited by maprao

Neither are barrels.

But try looking up the worldwide price of a liter of crude oil. Anywhere.

BTW, a barrel of oil is defined as 42 US gallons of oil. Where's that in the SI tables?

the weight of history.

but the sooner everybody gets rid of gallons, ounces, feet, yards, miles, etc. the better.

• Like 2

try looking up the worldwide price of a liter of crude oil. Anywhere.

the weight of history.

but the sooner everybody gets rid of gallons, ounces, feet, yards, miles, etc. the better.

This is when I know I'm an American - I can't stand the place, its politics, its food, or anything about it, but if you propose doing away with our dear measuring tradition my blood boils. :D

But yes as some people have pointed out the cost of living is actually not all that low in Thailand - overall a 'middle class lifestyle' with car, real house, and everything is about the same cost here as in the (non CA/NY) USA. And with virtually no employment/income opportunities.

try looking up the worldwide price of a liter of crude oil. Anywhere.

the weight of history.

This is when I know I'm an American - I can't stand the place, its politics, its food, or anything about it, but if you propose doing away with our dear measuring tradition my blood boils. biggrin.png

But yes as some people have pointed out the cost of living is actually not all that low in Thailand - overall a 'middle class lifestyle' with car, real house, and everything is about the same cost here as in the (non CA/NY) USA. And with virtually no employment/income opportunities.

Americans use metric when it suits them some NASCAR races are run in Kmswink.png

Claire,

If my calculations are correct. US gasoline is 10% ethanol so you need to compare apples to apples. At 38.63 Baht/litre and US gas at 3.57 a gallon average then our fuel is 30% more expensive.

(38.63 x 3.785)/31.27 = $4.67/US gal.

That Bloomberg link was excellent, and a great tool to compare those apples to apples...smile.png

Includes avarage daily salaries per country, and % of daily salary to spend on a gallon of gasoline....

Edited by tingtong

When it is not in the SI there is not much reason to use it. It is a matter if time and then the volume from a barrel is given in liters. It can take a few 100 year, but it will happen. Same as all different European units have disapeared. ...

So will the 5$ per litre.laugh.png

Boiling blood. There are no advantages to the imperial system. Only thing is that when you have grown up with a system you have "the feel with it" this maybe the reason that blood starts to boil ( at 100 degrees Celsius I suppose) you' know when a distance is 10 miles how long it takes you to walk run or ride this distance. I have no idea I have to convert this into metrical units and then I know also That is because we are both used to our system. Nothing to get angry about. But when we go back to the can soda from 330ml (and this amount originates from an imperial volume, but I have no idea which one). And you want to load a truck with a max loading capacity from 30 tons, you do not need a pocket calculator to calculate how many cans can be loaded The SI units are in that way much, much better then any other system from the past. What still fails is a metric system of time measurements Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was that Tons or Tonne you write of. biggrin.png

• Like 2