Kittiratt believes Thailand will not face real estate bubble

webfact

I do some work for a property evaluation company and earlier this year all the evaluators in the company agreed that there was a glut of overpriced condos.

They predictec that at the end of this year or early next year the bubble would burst.

Many of the presales for new condos are to the same few investors and now these investors aren't able to rent them out or sell them.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real estate bubble in Thailand is different than in western countries and is already happening with more and more foreclosures in sight...but....may be a good opportunity for foreigners....I can see the Government changing the rules for property ownership in Thailand, just to help bank sells pre owned houses Thai people are not buying...Just wait to see....Thailand still a good target for real estate investors...

Kittirat only needs to tour the Pattaya region to realise the hollowness of his words. Buildings going up everywhere, completed projects sitting empty. Vast numbers of them. In my mooban, 10% of the houses are for sale and have been for a very long time, while a dozen or more houses for rent are gathering dust. Kittirat gives far too much credibility to the banks, which have the history to prove him wrong (1997, Mr K?)

At Central Rama 9 the SCB are having a promotion,. Buy one get one free! eg buy a town house and get an apartment free. Buy one block of land get another, also free.

Advertising posters are on display with photographs and the prices of the available properties .

"The finance minister needs to |lie sometimes to create good feelings. The world knows this as a 'white lie'. As leader of |the government's economic team, I'm allowed to tell white lies.
this is what he has said in the past.
Kittiratt's 'white lie' will put govt claims in doubt

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Kittiratts-white-lie-will-put-govt-claims-in-doubt-30189085.html

Whom can beleive this guy?

• Like 1

BANGKOK, 28 September 2013 (NNT) – The Finance Minister has expressed his confidence that Thailand will not be faced with real estate bubble, believes banks have plans to cope with the situation.

Wait a minute. This guy is the Finance Minister of the entire country and he believes that banks have plans to cope with a real estate bubble? Believes? Sounds like someone who doesn't like to ask questions he doesn't want to know the answers to.

Edited by marell

"..believes banks have plans to cope with the situation."

beilef can be far away from certainty..

indeed, you just need to look on the banks repossessed property lists to see how right he is!

I've seen several properties repossessed in our Moobaan this year. Most were bought just after the last flood as our Moobaan was kept dry whilst most area around badly flooded. The builders cashed in on this and put the prices up so people bought expensive houses, plus the new premium and were heavily mortgaged. They all had nice SUVs and Merc which were also on credit. Many of our friends and neighbours admit to doing this - maximum mortgage, maximum car loan. If something happens on their incomes, they are screwed quickly.

Same recipe that caught many Westerners out in 2008.

• Like 1

Is there no-one out there willing to come to the support of "Porky pie" Kittirat?

Surely someone in the PTP fan club can agree with his predictions and beliefs and tell us we are all cynics and doubters?

Well, given his propensity for white lies, being economical with the truth, fudging figures and actually claiming its allowed for finance people to do this - then probably unlikely anyone outside of PTP would come to his support. The PM/DM and her brother obviously support him because he didn't get re-shuffled.

Based on his performance so far, he will have no trouble finding a position in the international banking world when he quits politics - how's that for support ! wink.png

• Like 1

Member of my Mrs family has worked for a certain bank for 12 years. She says that house repossession's are running at an all time high since she has been there. There is also the matter of a high number of people failing to keep up with loan payments on cars/trucks/motorbikes.

Seems Thailand may well become the HUB of unpaid debts !

• Like 2

I believe I can fly...ooops!

Perhaps it isn't a bubble bursting but the wax holding the whole financial setups wings together is melting due to the hot money rushing out of Thailand.

Those flying high investors who remain here are indeed in for '' a cash crash landing.''

Best perhaps described as ''An Icarus Moment''whistling.gif

Sorry Xonax... I hit the wrong button or something and your post ended up here

Sorry Mr. Kittiratt, but I'm from L.A. and I and most of the posters here are from a nation that have suffered an untold loss into the trillions, and it was to a tee; all about real estate speculation and very bad loans. I've seen your dog and pony show more times more times than I can remember. Unless you have a better grasp on your development, and have stiffer regulations on loans, you're going to go down.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

Somebody should build a condo building up here in Chiang Rai. There are farang eager to buy a condo or two, but zero supply. Some large apartment buildings are being built here, but they're all 'one-size-fits-all' single hotel room sizes, with no kitchenettes. It's odd that all the condo apartments catering to farang are being built in southern tourist areas, as if 100% of condo-buying farang are in those few cities.

Actually, I don't care that much, it just seems strange that there's no supply to meet demand. I spoke with aThai fellow who was building a 100 unit apartment building, and recommended he halve the # of rooms and double their size. He listened for a moment, but didn't take my advice. 5 years later, his occupancy rate is in single digits.

For me: I bought rural property near town for a pittance, 15 years ago. I live in a rent-free home I buildt myself, in the middle of a sizable park-like forest, so am in a different realm, literally.

• Like 1

whistling.gif What I want to see published is:

• Not the number of housing unite available for sale
  • Not the number of housing units sold
  • but instead the number of housing units actually OCCUPIED by the owner. (as a percentage of sold or available units)

That is because I believe that many of these so-called housing units are being bought for investment purposes only and are not occupied by the owners.

That is to say the owners don't actually live in their "investment" units.

To me that is the first indication of a housing "bubble".

I suspect that that occupied units figure is less than 50% of the available units in many housing developments especially around Bangkok.

In my opinion if less than 50% of the available units (whether "sold" or not ) are not actually occupied by their owners I would call that housing development a place not to invest in or buy property in.

And it seems that most "real estate salesmen" are very reluctant to answer that very question even if asked directly by potential buyers.

wai2.gif

I just want to say that the housing bubble is nothing compared to the failure of banks for bad loans and then having them crying for bailouts from the govt to save the mom and pop savings accounts. You don't have to be an economist to see it coming. My ex wife made a fortune in foreclosures.

Edited by metisdead

Well there is a condo project just outside of Bangkok that has maybe 4000 units and it is empty. There is a big office complex near me that is almost empty and has had a for sale sign on it for a couple years now. And they are building about 10,000 units within about 10k of my home. Nope no potential for a housing bubble.

whistling.gif What I want to see published is:

• Not the number of housing unite available for sale
  • Not the number of housing units sold
  • but instead the number of housing units actually OCCUPIED by the owner. (as a percentage of sold or available units)

That is because I believe that many of these so-called housing units are being bought for investment purposes only and are not occupied by the owners.

That is to say the owners don't actually live in their "investment" units.

To me that is the first indication of a housing "bubble".

I suspect that that occupied units figure is less than 50% of the available units in many housing developments especially around Bangkok.

In my opinion if less than 50% of the available units (whether "sold" or not ) are not actually occupied by their owners I would call that housing development a place not to invest in or buy property in.

And it seems that most "real estate salesmen" are very reluctant to answer that very question even if asked directly by potential buyers.

wai2.gif

Ya, I see crazy signs all over when I am driving that say 15-26% return on your investment!! 55555

A friend of mine moved into a new rental and got a great deal because there are so many vacant units.

Prices don't seem t be going up much/at all, so how can there possibly be a bubble. All I see is massive oversupply and massive amounts of new condos being built.

Agree, so it also is a matter of perception. Through western glasses real a state in Thailand is not that expensive at all and "askingwhistling.gif " prices seem to be stable at the moment. Still the oversupply you mention is really here and growing and this will regardless if the Thai like it or not going to reflect in the market prices. Perception will adjust to reality not the other way around, even in Thailand.

Just hold on, observe and pick up the pieces.

• Like 1