Carbon Forum Asia, Clean Energy Expo held in Bangkok

Lite Beer

Carbon Forum Asia, Clean Energy Expo held in Bangkok
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Asia is emerging as a strong leader in carbon markets, climate innovation and green finance, according to the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA).

This year, China's first carbon-trading pilot began, Kazakhstan initiated its emissions-trading programme, and South Korea's carbon-market design process began to take shape. Alongside these, the Green Climate Fund's selection of Songdo, Korea, as the host city will draw the attention of the global financial community to the region.

These steps reflect an important reality: An effective response to climate change combines sound market-based policy, technology and finance. Those three ingredients work together - when a clear policy stimulates companies to adopt new technology and access markets to finance it cost effectively.

This year's "Carbon Forum Asia" brings those three elements together as for the first time it is being held in conjunction with "Clean Energy Expo Asia", in Bangkok from now until Friday.

"Once again we've assembled leaders from the region who are working on new carbon markets - and new financing strategies," said Dirk Forrister, president and chief executive officer of IETA. "As a bonus, we are co-located for the first time with Clean Energy Expo Asia, offering you a window into the innovative technologies and clean energy strategies that will help bolster carbon markets."

Prasertsuk Chamornmarn, acting executive director of the Thailand Greenhouse Gas Management Organisation, said: "TGO has been actively involved in the development of a voluntary carbon market in Thailand. Later this year, TGO will be launching the Thailand Voluntary Emissions Reduction Programme, which will provide project developers of emissions-reduction projects with the opportunity to participate in the carbon market and gain returns from investing and developing low emission-projects.

"TGO has also been a prominent entity in the development of a voluntary emissions-trading scheme in Thailand, which is expected to be launched next year. The introduction of a voluntary emissions-trading scheme will be an achievement that will mark significant progress in the establishment of a strong carbon market in Thailand.

"TGO believes that large-scale events such as Carbon Forum Asia immensely facilitate international cooperation in carbon-market development and climate financing, and hopes that the forum will further advance the carbon-market development agenda of introducing new market mechanisms, schemes and financing opportunities that will assist in addressing global environmental problems in a more effective way."

Linking opportunities in Asia to global investments

Carbon Forum Asia will showcase carbon-market business opportunities from developing countries in the region. This year the Asian Development Bank will invite experts and project developers from over 12 developing countries to contribute to the forum and showcase their projects, covering a range of sectors including renewable energy, cook stoves, transport, agriculture and waste.

They include the Cambodian Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy, the Water Authority of Fiji, the Vietnam Low Carbon Agriculture Support Project, and CECEP Zhangbei Wind Power,

"Carbon Forum Asia is an excellent platform in the Asia-Pacific region to share knowledge and identify business opportunities in the evolving carbon market," said Gil-Hong Kim, director of the sustainable infrastructure division of the ADB's regional and sustainable development department.

"ADB is proud to be a sponsor of Carbon Forum Asia from its inaugural event in 2006. In Carbon Forum Asia 2013, ADB will discuss with participants and stakeholders the linkage of domestic carbon markets, in addition to exploring carbon-market project opportunities."

The TGO (Public Organisation) returns with an official Thai pavilion to connect local project developers and governments with international participants at Carbon Forum Asia. The pavilion features companies such as Thai Biogas Energy Co, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, Advance Carbon Securities Venture Co and Vichitbhan Palm Oil Co.

Japan is expected to announce a new climate target as part of its national energy strategy after the Fukushima disaster. The Overseas Environmental Cooperation Centre, a non-governmental organisation established with the support of the Japanese Environment Ministry, puts its highest interest on climate-change-related subjects. At Carbon Forum Asia, it is providing the latest information on joint crediting/ bilateral offset credit mechanism, the Japanese government's initiative in new market mechanisms.

The OECC returns with a Japan Pavilion this year, bringing together the Global Environment Centre Foundation and the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies.

"The intense discussions due to take place over two days will keep participants up to date with the regional developments in carbon footprint reduction, to set the framework to help bring about a more sustainable future and to illustrate how this fits into the global agenda for climate change," said Michael Dreyer, vice president for Asia-Pacific of Koelnmesse, an international trade fair and exhibition centre in Cologne, Germany.

"Carbon Forum Asia is the ideal platform for the global players to get in tune with the Asian market, reinforced by the delegation of both regional and international attendees.

"The co-location of Carbon Forum Asia with Clean Energy Expo Asia further strengthens the value of these discussions, by presenting a unique opportunity for greater collaboration and knowledge exchange between organisations and professional across the entire carbon and energy value chain."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-29

The irony!!whistling.gif A meeting about clean air In Bangkok?

Driving into Bangkok in the morning (in my case from the south) you can literally see the mushroom of polution over the capital! sad.png

And the government has proven, they understand the seriousness of the situation by adding another million cars to an already trafficjammed city.

But at least they are going to make a few tourist $ on the participants in the meeting, so who cares??

• Like 1

"Carbon Forum Asia, Clean Energy Expo held in Bangkok"

Lets hope someone in the govt is there taking notes.

Sadly...they have their notebooks but there's no ink in the pens & those

that have tablet PC's....their batteries are all dead. Oh the irony...

Not to intentionally rain on any ones parade with the exception of the out and out ill informed basher.

China is spending more money and developing more green energy than any other country in the world. Yes many Asian countries are riding on their coat tails. The fact remains they are still the leader in the field. I have no information on South Korea but I would not be a bit surprised if they too were not doing a lot in the field. Even here in Thailand the land of copy there is work going on in the field.

If we were to wait for western countries to come up with the answers it would be a heck of a lot longer wait than what we have ahead of us now.

Japan with there recent set back in Atomic energy is turning there hand to green energy. They are a nation with high research capabilities and should provide interesting alternatives. the day is coming when it will be cheaper to use renewable non polluting energy sources as cheap as the ones we use today. Then even cheaper.

My thanks and congratulations to Carbon Forum Asia. It might not happen in my day but the day will come thanks to organizations like them.wai.gif

• Like 1

Not to intentionally rain on any ones parade with the exception of the out and out ill informed basher.

China is spending more money and developing more green energy than any other country in the world. Yes many Asian countries are riding on their coat tails. The fact remains they are still the leader in the field. I have no information on South Korea but I would not be a bit surprised if they too were not doing a lot in the field. Even here in Thailand the land of copy there is work going on in the field.

If we were to wait for western countries to come up with the answers it would be a heck of a lot longer wait than what we have ahead of us now.

Japan with there recent set back in Atomic energy is turning there hand to green energy. They are a nation with high research capabilities and should provide interesting alternatives. the day is coming when it will be cheaper to use renewable non polluting energy sources as cheap as the ones we use today. Then even cheaper.

My thanks and congratulations to Carbon Forum Asia. It might not happen in my day but the day will come thanks to organizations like them.wai.gif

China needs to spend more,as for Japan where is your eveidence

Since Dai-chi Fukushima is unlikely to be re-started the immediate load fr TEPCO will be from fossil fuels unless you have any evidence to the contrary.

Abe and the regulators have misled the public from the start.

While cheap fuel sources are of course attractive,when will renewables become cheaper.

Of course if include 2500 years of safe containment and decommisioning fission has no chance.But the reality is like here not even in sunny Thailand is solar payback period economic.

While wealthy individuals can opt green those with no capital ,credit or miniscule incomes have no option.The Germans have inflated the demand for panels in a climate where it is marginally efficacious.

Fusion and fracking look like the realistic futures from where I sit.

• Like 1

...<snip>...

the day is coming when it will be cheaper to use renewable non polluting energy sources as cheap as the ones we use today. Then even cheaper.

That day will be later than 200 years from now.

Wind is not viable, bird kills, variability of wind, blade failures need lots of room to avoid killing people. EON in Germany has to keep 80% reserve power from fossil fuel plants because of the variability in the wind.

PV solar starts at ~20% of the 1kw/sqm (200watts /sqm) and goes down in efficiency from there (ends up at about 6% depending on many variables) and the lifespan of panels is 20-30 years. Efficiency reductions from: clouds (50%), temperature of the panels (1% per deg C about 25C), age (1% per year), position of panels (30% if not tracking the sun).

Thermal solar has a much better chance, but the technology still needs huge work. Storage of high temperature working fluids is the big issue.

Australia just dumped their Carbon trading scheme as it is a huge tax on people with no benefit.

The US EPA just announced that their coal power plant ban won't reduce CO2 at all.

CO2 is not a pollutant, it is natural fertilizer for plants. Experiments on the growth of crops with elevated CO2 around double current values showed a very large gain in plant growth and yield.

Besides, what is oil and coal? Stored sunshine is the answer. Water vapor is 8 times the effect of CO2, but you can't control people with something you can't tax or ban.

• Like 2

...<snip>...

the day is coming when it will be cheaper to use renewable non polluting energy sources as cheap as the ones we use today. Then even cheaper.

Wind is not viable, bird kills, variability of wind, blade failures need lots of room to avoid killing people. EON in Germany has to keep 80% reserve power from fossil fuel plants because of the variability in the wind.

PV solar starts at ~20% of the 1kw/sqm (200watts /sqm) and goes down in efficiency from there (ends up at about 6% depending on many variables) and the lifespan of panels is 20-30 years. Efficiency reductions from: clouds (50%), temperature of the panels (1% per deg C about 25C), age (1% per year), position of panels (30% if not tracking the sun).

Thermal solar has a much better chance, but the technology still needs huge work. Storage of high temperature working fluids is the big issue.

Australia just dumped their Carbon trading scheme as it is a huge tax on people with no benefit.

The US EPA just announced that their coal power plant ban won't reduce CO2 at all.

CO2 is not a pollutant, it is natural fertilizer for plants. Experiments on the growth of crops with elevated CO2 around double current values showed a very large gain in plant growth and yield.

Besides, what is oil and coal? Stored sunshine is the answer. Water vapor is 8 times the effect of CO2, but you can't control people with something you can't tax or ban.

CO2 is quite capable of killing humans. Try staying in a roomful for a couple of hours. It may not have occurred to you but we are not plants.

So oil and coal are 'stored sunshine'... you really are well up on your physics and chemistry I see. Graduate of the George Bush school of environmental protection and coherent English (judging by the final bizarre statement).

• Like 1

Keeping the environment clean is a great idea, one sponsored by the West for the last century.

However, to tie it to carbon as in the discreditd idea of 'Global Warming' - the Ice caps have grown by thousands of kilometers in the last few years - is insanity...

Yes, clean air, cleaner cars, clean the soot out of coal fired electrical plants and of course, clean streets, but remember all that trash makes for more trouble when concentrated in a land fill...

Paper on the street is unsightly, but is biodegradable. In a land fill, that same paper will be preserved for generations of archeologists a thousand years from now.

...<snip>...

CO2 is quite capable of killing humans. Try staying in a roomful for a couple of hours. It may not have occurred to you but we are not plants.

So oil and coal are 'stored sunshine'... you really are well up on your physics and chemistry I see. Graduate of the George Bush school of environmental protection and coherent English (judging by the final bizarre statement).

Thank you for your eloquent proof of my point with your ad hominem attack.

Never let facts get in the way of an emotional response.

All valid, but having seen the pollution in the major cities in China first hand, I would suggest they are the ones who need to spend the most, because they have the biggest current and future problems.

• Like 1

Bangkok/Thailand is to clean energy what a frog is to ice skating.

Well, perhaps it's a way to get started on increasing environmental awareness. I guess something's better than nothing.

An Asian corporation will do something like, change it's incandescent light bulbs to florescent, and then put out a full page ad in a newspaper touting what a 'GREEN' company it is. What we'd like to see: skylights, natural shading, more solar panels, passive solar for heating water, less manic use of air.con, less use of internal combustion engines, and a lot more. Just the current fixation on air.con is sick, when you consider it's usually not needed (certainly not as cold as Thais have it), and how much electric it sucks. Also, the amount of lights turned on at night is sicko. Thais in particular, and Asians in general have zero consciousness of light pollution, and very little grasp of conservation of energy.