Buying a washing machine

junglechef

Need to buy a clothes washing machine ? (closest emotion I have to a washing machine) Looking at large capacity, around 10-12 kg, and wondering if anybody has any advice. Went to Siam TV and seems Iike there's a bunch and the price mainly corresponds to where they are made. Think the ones with one compartment for wash and spin looks most convient and will just line dry as before. I don't know much and don't know if there is anything I should be aware of or of there is a especially good place to purchase etc. Any useful recommendations will be rewarded with one load of free washing (delivery not included) ?

Here is my tried and true household appliance purchasing method. Not yet patented, but am considering doing so.

Go into the first appliance store you find, go into the particular department of the appliances you wish to purchase and go "Eeeny, meeny, minie, moe...........I'll have that one please!"

This method saves an inordinate amount of grief comparing specifications and prices of <deleted> that really doesn't matter anyway. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

make sure you get one that has the post in the middle, the ones that dont will tangle up your cloths and will be a tremendous pita when you pull them out.

Have you tried tying them in knots before you put them in the machine to see if they get un-knotted? whistling.gif

• Like 2

Bought a new one just a couple months back. Went to many places, and got some idea of sizes prices etc.

Ended up at Makro and bought a new one there.... replacing one that was here at least 18 years and heaven knows how much time before that.

Suggest the single tub with spin, then seperate dryer or line dry is good here most times.

I use also a samsung, had ik at home too for 7 years never a problem, now I have a frontloader 7kg I dont need a bigger one since I live mostly alone but definately not smaller. just the pillows and blankets just fit in so for me its perfect. make sure you get one with the warm water option!

make sure you get one that has the post in the middle, the ones that dont will tangle up your cloths and will be a tremendous pita when you pull them out.

Have you tried tying them in knots before you put them in the machine to see if they get un-knotted? whistling.gif

ehh...they come out in double knots.

Americans traditionally preferred top loaders while Europeans with smaller kitchens went for the convenience of under counter front loading machines. I've used both for years and get the feeling that front loaders give better results for whatever reason.

• Like 2

Americans traditionally preferred top loaders while Europeans with smaller kitchens went for the convenience of under counter front loading machines. I've used both for years and get the feeling that front loaders give better results for whatever reason.

And front loaders are easier to get the dog in, when he's dirty of course laugh.png

• Like 2

I think front loaders may do a better job on really grungy dirty kid's clothing. But as 99.9% of our needs are for just normal sweaty daily wear, we went with the convenience of the top loader. We bought a 10Kg Panasonic from Tessco-Lotus for about 8,000 baht including a free vacuum cleaner. It does the job nicely, and the Turbo-Air spin cycle get the clothes dry enough so that hanging them for a couple of hours does the trick. It's got lots of different settings that we never use, other than the water volume (which is automatically set by weight if we allow it.) I did the installation myself, hooking it into the hot water heater in the shower to give us the option of cold or hot water, but so far, the only time we've used hot water is when we forget to turn off the heater before washing the clothes...

We have a toploader, and I am looking forward to the say it breaks.

Always had a front loader in uk, commonsense tells you that as the drum rotates gravity causes the clothes to fall into the water every rotation. With the toploader what you put in first stays at the bottom,just Swilling and all getting tangled up.

Do miss the hot water wash here, but I will get a water heater next time if they don't heat up internally

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Visited Thai friends in BKK last week, noticed they have a new Samsung front loader, so asked why.

answer was - clothes are now a lot cleaner, the top loaders do not clean...

sadly bought a new top loader again end of last year Electrolux T-Drive, expensive for top loader, I hate it, cleans No, clothes just smell better but do not get clean.. us the 30 min soak and the extra heavy duty turbo clean, takes just on 2 hours and clothes are not clean !!

before had a much cheaper LG top loader, somehow was better, just needed constant repairs, still have it, will take it to recycle place this week. before last repair was pot luck if the water would drain away... repair worked for a month now just keeps filling and over flowing

OK things are different here, but before I came here had a real cheap front loader [unknown name brand], sold with the house, had it 13 years with no problems at all

Top loaders are best and always have been. You do not need warm or hot water. Saha Panich on the Mae Rim Road is a good place to check, they have great service if you ever need a repair.

Top loaders us so much more water and do not do as good a wash as the front loader, that is a fact

I was expecting a lot of "my wife says..", or "the housemaid reckons.." type of statements. Either you're not giving credit where it's due or you guys know more about the laundering process than I do. I hope you're not going to start discussing soap powders.

I don't think women in Thailand know much about cleaning clothes properly, hence the replies. I always wash my own clothes as I've never found anyone here that knows how to do it as well as, or better than me.

Soap powders? They are all the same.

Top loaders are less kind to your clothes. They have a stronger "pulling" effect. But they are easier to load/unload.

Front loaders clean clothes better. They replicate - more than top loaders - the action of hand-washing clothes. The pulling is also less severe so your stuff will not get torn up so much. But if you have bad knees or bad back, squatting to load/unload can be a downside.

Some French brands have a drum which washes clothes "sideways" but all loading is from a top open lid. Those are expensive though.

If you wear mainly jeans and own less delicate fabrics, go for the cheaper top loaders.

• Like 1

I was expecting a lot of "my wife says..", or "the housemaid reckons.." type of statements. Either you're not giving credit where it's due or you guys know more about the laundering process than I do. I hope you're not going to start discussing soap powders.

I don't think women in Thailand know much about cleaning clothes properly, hence the replies. I always wash my own clothes as I've never found anyone here that knows how to do it as well as, or better than me.

Theres actually a picture on soap bags that indicate whether they are intended for hand or machine wash.

Seem to work the same to me though.

I've used a front loader for many years. Clothes wash cleaner and last longer. My first front loader (an Asko) lasted about 10 years before it broke down and I decided to replace it. The one i have now is 6 years old. A technician told me front loaders work best with the non-foaming kind of soap powder made specifically for them. Or as the advice line of a soap poweder concentrate made for top loaders told me - "You can use it in very small quantitites."

I agree that nobody cleans clothes as good as you can do it yourself. As for soap powder - I bring Ariel gel from UK every year for light colours (I've tried every brand available here and they just don't measure up), and use a locally produced OMO liquid with a bit of Vanish added for dark colours.

I agree that nobody cleans clothes as good as you can do it yourself. As for soap powder - I bring Ariel gel from UK every year for light colours (I've tried every brand available here and they just don't measure up), and use a locally produced OMO liquid with a bit of Vanish added for dark colours.

To think, I could have gone to bed not knowing that! Thank God for the internet. To be fair, you are a woman so these things are more relevant to you.

Not an OMO man, myself, never was, but I bet there are a few here who are.