Rubber protesters threaten to rally if Thai govt does not accede to demands

webfact

Rubber protesters threaten to rally if gov't does not accede to demands

BANGKOK, 30 September 2013 (NNT) – Rubber protesters have threatened to hold another rally against the government unless it accedes to their demand for rubber price guarantee. They have , however, assured that there will be no roadblock in Bang Saphan District of Prachuap Khiri Khan Province.

According to the protesters, they will take to the street again unless the government address the issue of para rubber price decline, adding that the rubber network will hold a meeting at Thammarat Intersection in Prachuap Khiri Khan’s Bang Saphan District to discuss the possibility of another rally. They however, affirm that the intersection will not be blocked.

As for the lifting of the roadblocks on Highway 41 in Cha-uat District of Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, the network spokesman said the reason was that the protesters wanted to allow commuters to pass through, as the 10th lunar month festival was approaching.

Another reason was that officials agreed to release a protest leader who had been arrested during the clash with police on September 16th, when the latter attempted to break up the rally. However, the charges will still be pressed against the released leader.

Lastly, the protesters said they would hold another big rally if the government remained oblivious to their demand, which is for the government to guarantee the price of rubber at 100 baht per kilogram.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-30 footer_n.gif

There's a flood crisis Northeastern and Central Thailand wide, maybe coming down to North Bangkok, and those guys at this time have nothing else to do than complaining about their own benefits??? Who are next, the rice farmers???

In no particular order...... Rice, corn, sugar cane, tapioca, prawns

Next will be flood-damaged crops

bring it on!!

soon enough every single ppl will protest for something, if the government yields for this stupid demands.

<deleted>, they arent even growing food that might understandable a bit, as a necessity for rich and poor alike. but rubber?

free market in work, dont like it, grow veggies, article just says prices on the rise!

• Like 2

I cant help thinking that if they cant make a profit then its time to wind the business up, why should the Govt prop up a loss making industry, leave it to the Malays. Perhaps I should hold a rally to get free visas? Rallies dont achieve to much, unless you factor in violence and that has no place in a democratic country!

Next! Oh the rice farmers, oh yes the rice farmers, perhaps government intervention should be visited again on if it is a good idea in the current times.

• Like 1

100 baht/kg is only 25% over the marketprice!

The ricefarmers have been getting 40-50% over marketprice for a couple of years!thumbsup.gif

That will teach the southeners to vote for the Master next time around!!

or not getting.

in my area not one seen that 20thb/kg rice price. last year it was all 14-15thb.

anyway, who is protesting?

the land owners, who has the money but doesnt like to do much work, and not happy that the tappers take 60% of a now smaller pie...

or the tappers, who not happy that they cant get a larger %, but price down, their share is down too?

Its does make me wonder how these protests are seen in the Asean community, do they have similar rallies when things are not as good as they could be? How will they view Thailand in this sphere? Some of the members seem a lot better prepared than Thailand in many areas, might not be the golden street that Thailand thinks it is going to be where everyone ( who is already rich ) will get rich overnight without doing anything, like learning English.

Rice growers,Rubber tappers,next the Sugar growers are going to want a sweetener,

then the Banana growers are going to want a hand.! so it goes on,the government

has opened Pandora's box,and they are never going to get the lid back on again.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

The problem with this, everybody wants something, good luck to anyone making their cause heard, take to the streets , tell the PTP administration what you think of them, stand up and voice your concerns , but no violence , do it peacefully with respect for others, not like the red shirts, with the encouragement from the PTP, who have no respect and receive none in return from the decent people of Thailand.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I can remember when the Thai government pledged that they would make Thailand 'the hub' of rubber production in the world. Just like they are going to be the number one 'hub' for everything in the world at one time or another. So in a way, they encouraged many farmers to convert to rubber. They even gave subsidized land for its cultivation.

They however, may have repeatedly to make Thailand the 'the hub' of rice production many times over. They never urged the rice farmers to convert to rice. Rice farmers grow rice off their own backs, and by their own choice, and yet they get all this extra consideration from the government. Even though it is driving the country towards bankruptcy.

Now with rice.... A farmer can convert away from that crop after the latest harvest and choose his own path, yet with rubber.... The farmers have had to invest 7 years work, expense and time into establishing their plantations. Its not so easy to convert. Yet, in difference to the rice farmers, the rubber farmers were ENCOURAGED to do it..... Very important in distinguishing between the two.

Yet the rubber farmers are being left high and dry while the rice farmers are cossetted and tit fed (once again).

We also have another rubber problem unfolding in palm oil. Since the government urge 'plant, plant and plant some more... The price has crashed. Only last year the government vowed to make Thailand the (you guessed it)... 'the hub' of palm oil production in the world.

Sometimes I wish this government would get on a plane at their 'vowed to be No1 airport in the world' and f***off.

I think its about time the gov did something different and rotated the relief between farmers who are struggling. The rice farmers have had their time, now move that scheme to the rubber farmers or any form of farming that is suffering the most.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

bring it on!!

soon enough every single ppl will protest for something, if the government yields for this stupid demands.

<deleted>, they arent even growing food that might understandable a bit, as a necessity for rich and poor alike. but rubber?

free market in work, dont like it, grow veggies, article just says prices on the rise!

Condoms and tires are also used by the rich and poor.

And surgical gloves are used by doctors for everyone's benefit.

However to demand minimum payment at double the rough average price over the last decade is ridiculous. They have had a a few very profitable years. I did not notice them all complaining then.

Now prices are declining to where world demand and supply meet. And so they will have to ramp down their lifestyles a little.

That is life.

There's a flood crisis Northeastern and Central Thailand wide, maybe coming down to North Bangkok, and those guys at this time have nothing else to do than complaining about their own benefits??? Who are next, the rice farmers???

The rice farmers 'were' protesting, the corn farmers were holding a protest today.

Global demand and market prices do not interest them, they are each only interested in themselves and '<deleted>' the rest. TIT

Edited by johnlandy

Seems to me that the moment the government starts subsidizing any particular crop, it is only asking for trouble when other farmers, businesses, etc. fall on hard times. They then will want subsidies as well. Hasn't it gotten to the point all governments are not about providing basic services but have gotten into the business of trying to win votes by getting its tentacles into all aspects of life? This is not only happening in Thailand but everywhere. In the USA there are farm subsidies, energy producing subsidies, and the list goes on and on. This has created an inequity for farmers and businesses. The increase in services provided by governments have created dependency and people now expect the government to take care of them cradle to grave. The rubber farmers only want their share of government subsidies so they don't go broke. After all isn't the Thai government basically subsidizing rice prices?

• Like 1

Its does make me wonder how these protests are seen in the Asean community, do they have similar rallies when things are not as good as they could be? How will they view Thailand in this sphere? Some of the members seem a lot better prepared than Thailand in many areas, might not be the golden street that Thailand thinks it is going to be where everyone ( who is already rich ) will get rich overnight without doing anything, like learning English.

Some of these posters on Thai Visa think that if all of Thailand learns English they will be rich. Never mind math or science drop every thing learn English.

Just between you and me I think they want every one to speak English so they don't have to learn Thai to converse with a Thai.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thais, especially the male of the species, are spoiled and protected children. Bring on ASEAN in 2015 and see what happens, though I do not for one minute think the thai government will allow free competition in employment from other members of the union.

Personally I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how little difference it will make 6 months after the excitement and expectation wear off.wai2.gif