Mold on riding gear

Shurup

I don't know how it happened and I don't know if it's a common occurrence, but I've got this ugly mold on my riding gear:

post-111234-13805236322084_thumb.jpg

Same thing is on my leather gloves and jacket (not leather) and even on my helmet in trace amounts (at least for now).

I always clean and dry out my gear before putting it away (if I don't plan on riding for some time) but living in this dump tropical weather it can never be really dry.

I don't know how to get rid of it. I can wash a jacket and it stays off for a while, but I can't wash the leather boots and gloves.

Anyone else is getting it? Is there a chemical I can use to kill it, but something that isn't harmful to myself?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well I don't have the dehumidifier and not planning on getting one, but technically it should work.

I'm not sure what's the science behind the aspirin suggestion, other than it's made from mold itself. Maybe some antibiotics will work instead? Is aspirin an antibiotic (I'm not a doctor)?

There must be some household cleaner chemicals that might help, I'm off to work for a month, if nothing else comes up here, I'll have to ask at a Big C or Track in the household department.

Just leave them in the sun! The leather will get dry but you can then treat with dubbin.

BTW the newspaper like forum titles are Ok but I thought i was going to read about some high tech form fitting clothing. Nothing like saying what you mean in Englishwhistling.gif

I.e. I've got mold on my ridding boots.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

The sun will kill it all, you can wash the boots on early morning if you know the day is going to be sunny. otherwise it can get worse if you wash and not able to be able dry up.

The mold grew up because you left it on the dark and with humidity. Sun light kills most fungus.

For this type of mould ( Aspergilis Niger) that grows on any black leather gear and on bamboo blinds, I found that washing it is Potassium Permanganate works well.

It is a good idea to do it on new items, like blinds before you install them. You can get it at any hardware shop or chemists. Ask for dàang táp tim, ด่างทับทิม ,

It comes in a tiny tin. Just put the contents in a bucket of water and dunk the item in. Then, as others have said, dry it well in the sun and treat the leather afterwards.

• Like 1

Just leave them in the sun! The leather will get dry but you can then treat with dubbin.

BTW the newspaper like forum titles are Ok but I thought i was going to read about some high tech form fitting clothing. Nothing like saying what you mean in Englishwhistling.gif

I.e. I've got mold on my ridding boots.

There are a few different spellings for the fungus (mold and mould) in English dictionary, same like color and colour.

That's funny if you think about the other mold, the topic title takes a whole new meaning. :D LOL

Where do I get dubbin in Thailand? Do you know the Thai word for it?

Well I don't have the dehumidifier and not planning on getting one, but technically it should work.

I'm not sure what's the science behind the aspirin suggestion, other than it's made from mold itself. Maybe some antibiotics will work instead? Is aspirin an antibiotic (I'm not a doctor)?

There must be some household cleaner chemicals that might help, I'm off to work for a month, if nothing else comes up here, I'll have to ask at a Big C or Track in the household department.

most ACs have an in-build dehumidifier. just check your remote control. it is stated as a 'drop' symbol.

• Like 1

most ACs have an in-build dehumidifier. just check your remote control. it is stated as a 'drop' symbol.

All A/Cs are dehumidifiers they remove the moisture from the air as part of the cooling process, that's why water pours from the evaporator.

For this type of mould ( Aspergilis Niger) that grows on any black leather gear and on bamboo blinds, I found that washing it is Potassium Permanganate works well.

It is a good idea to do it on new items, like blinds before you install them. You can get it at any hardware shop or chemists. Ask for dàang táp tim, ด่างทับทิม ,

It comes in a tiny tin. Just put the contents in a bucket of water and dunk the item in. Then, as others have said, dry it well in the sun and treat the leather afterwards.

How about the old standby a mild dilution of bleach then dry in the sun with a fan blowing over the equipment. Then store in a well ventilated space.

Edited by moe666
  • Like 1

ventilation is key, and as someone said, it seems to specifically effect dark leather.

we had real trouble with it in the owners storage room in my house at the beach. we lost thousands of baht worth of bedding in 4 months before we put in ventilation fans on a timer. no problem since

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk