Cash withdrawals

mizztraveller

The TD Bank in Canada has a chequing account called "All Inclusive" which does not charge for worldwide ATM withdrawals. However, you must maintain a minimum balance of $5000 in order to avoid the $30 monthly fee. You also get free certified cheques and money orders, a free safety deposit box, commission-free traveler's cheques and other goodies. So if you use the AEON ATM, you can withdraw cash as many times as you want for free. Those who have concerns about keeping their money in a Thai bank and being a victim of card-cloning or other fraudulent acts may also want to consider such an arrangement. North American banks will refund you if you are a victim.

I have Bangkok Bank and Schwab. Very convenient and BKK bank does not appear to be charging anything for receiving my ACH transfers, or do they?

On the subject of cloning/ATM scams strongly recommend that local bank account holders set up a second account not linked to any ATM card to hold most of your assets. Mine is not even linked to Bualuang iBanking, all transactions must be completed in the bank. I noticed when using my ATM card at restaurants/retailers nobody ever checks signature or asks for ID.

Keep the amount in the daily use account less than one can afford to lose, 'cause if you get cloned or simply drop you card and somebody decides to go shopping with I understand here that's all on you baby. With Bangkok Bank you can also set up your account so you get a text message every time there is an transaction but I have not tried that yet.

Edited by arunsakda

The Halifax credit card doesn't charge a cash withdrawal fee, and nor do they charge a foreign exchange fee either so you get the best rate possible! Just load it with cash to avoid the interest charges.

What do you mean by 'Just load it with cash'. You cannot 'load' a UK Credit card, only a cash/pre-paid card card.

The Halifax credit card doesn't charge a cash withdrawal fee, and nor do they charge a foreign exchange fee either so you get the best rate possible! Just load it with cash to avoid the interest charges.

Only the Halifax Clarity card -which is brilliant. All other Halifax cards make the usual charges.

With Clarity, you are given wholesale exchange rates which are very favourable. I only use it for payments (not cash) and they claim their bill from my bank account by direct debit later, so no interest either.

Yes I didn't make that clear only for the Clarity card does this apply. About preloading the card someone made a comment on another thread that it would break the T & C but I've just read the T & C and nowhere does it mention that you can't do this.

Sorry I hadn't seen this reply when I made my post above.

You will find in the T&C,s that you cannot 'deliberately overpay/put the Credit card in a credit possition.

You will always have to pay a minimum of 1 day, normally two days interest on any credit card cash withdrwal assuming you pay the FULL payment outstanding on the card as soon as you see the interest has been applied otherwise, if you wait till the statement comes out you will be in a compund situation.

Please also note that in the UK 'cash withdrawal' on a credit card can include foreign currency/travel cheque purchases and any betting/savings purchases.

BKK bank does not appear to be charging anything for receiving my ACH transfers, or do they?

They charge .25%, or a minimum of 200 baht, a maximum of 500 baht. This is not labelled anywhere, but if you do the math, you'll see the amount of baht you received will be less by the amount of this backend fee. And, the dollar amount that you ACH will be less the front end fee from Bangkok Bank NY.

Use the 0830 TT rate as the FX rate for the transfer -- sometimes Bangkok Bank advertises several TT tranches for the day, but 0830 has always been the rate I've received.

BKK bank does not appear to be charging anything for receiving my ACH transfers, or do they?

They charge .25%, or a minimum of 200 baht, a maximum of 500 baht. This is not labelled anywhere, but if you do the math, you'll see the amount of baht you received will be less by the amount of this backend fee. And, the dollar amount that you ACH will be less the front end fee from Bangkok Bank NY.

Use the 0830 TT rate as the FX rate for the transfer -- sometimes Bangkok Bank advertises several TT tranches for the day, but 0830 has always been the rate I've received.

Along with the fees in New York on their web site, this is on the Bangkok Bank web site:

4. What fees are payable to receive funds from abroad?

The fee is 0.25% of the total amount (minimum fee of 200Bt and a maximum fee of 500Bt).

An intermediary bank (between the sending bank and Bangkok Bank) may also deduct an additional handling fee before sending funds to us.

So Bangkok Bank does list their fees, if, when you say, "labeled anywhere", you mean disclosed.

Also, I have always gotten slightly better exchange rates from Visa compared to Bangkok Bank's TT rates. The difference is whether the fees are more. Mine are not.

Edited by hml367

Only the Halifax Clarity card -which is brilliant. All other Halifax cards make the usual charges.

With Clarity, you are given wholesale exchange rates which are very favourable. I only use it for payments (not cash) and they claim their bill from my bank account by direct debit later, so no interest either.

Yes I didn't make that clear only for the Clarity card does this apply. About preloading the card someone made a comment on another thread that it would break the T & C but I've just read the T & C and nowhere does it mention that you can't do this.

Hmmmm.....

Can I put money on my card to increase my available credit whilst on holiday?

Credit cards are not designed to be used this way. Using the card in this way breaches the product's Terms & Conditions, which state:

16.9 You must not make payments or transfer funds from another credit or store card to your account that would leave a credit balance on your account. We may return any funds that exceed the balance owing on your account to the account from which the money was sent.

Back to school for you.

Though to be fair, they do only state credit or store card. So....I agree with you. :)

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Don't be surprised if you get told, "Cannot", and pointed to the ATM.

Every time I've tried (3 times at 3 different banks), that's what they told me. "mai dai" .... as they point to the ATM's.

See post 11.Major Branches do it !

For those that have not been able to use a particular card inside the bank for a signature transaction, check if the card is specifically an ATM card. If it is, then that is where it will work.

I have one card which will only work in an ATM. It accesses my account directly without going through the normal ATM services; i.e., PLUS. A card such as this would not work in the signature required systems the banks are connected with.

I used a debit card from the US with mastercard logo, and there was a 50 thb fee wrapped into the exchange rate, so I saved 100 THB, the only AEON in Phayao was broken at the time. Transfers from BKK Bank NY only beat AEON if it is over a few thousand USD.