What Would You Change (if you could)

klubex99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd swap the wet season for an extended Thai style 'cool' season. Occasionally I hanker for a bit of civic organisation, but I think that would come at the expense of the raffish charm Thailand can exert over you. Plus, you can fly to Singapore for the week if you need your fix of that.

• Like 1

Give us a decent status, stop 90 day reports and just use annual visa's, or 5 year permits for long stay retired, treat us more like people and not the well used "Aliens".

. Agree and married men streamlined perminant residents w/o reporting and given a right to travel w/o visa and the right to work.

Posted this on another thread ....but seems just as appropriate here as it is asking what you would change (presumably to make things better)

“We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? Save the planet? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. We're gonna save the fuc_kin' planet? . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are fuc_ked! Compared with the people, the planet is doin' great. It's been here over four billion years . . . The planet isn't goin' anywhere, folks. We are! We're goin' away. Pack your shit, we're goin' away. And we won't leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, and we'll be gone. Another failed mutation; another closed-end biological mistake.”
George Carlin

• Like 1

Give us a decent status, stop 90 day reports and just use annual visa's, or 5 year permits for long stay retired, treat us more like people and not the well used "Aliens".

Why on earth should they dish out 5 year visas to the retired? What about if they fail to meet the 800,000THB criteria one year? A lot DO

Nah, keep it the way it is.

I don't like visa runs or reporting any more than the next guy but I'd rather that than give a load of foreigners the run of the bloody country just because they spend a few bucks.

Now if you run a company employing Thais, maybe there's some call for relaxing the visa/reporting rules but otherwise, forget it.

Why on earth should they dish out 5 year visas to the retired? What about if they fail to meet the 800,000THB criteria one year? A lot DO

I don't like visa runs or reporting any more than the next guy but I'd rather that than give a load of foreigners the run of the bloody country just because they spend a few bucks.

Now if you run a company employing Thais, maybe there's some call for relaxing the visa/reporting rules but otherwise, forget it.

A retired guy of many years does not need 800,000 a year to live on rolleyes.gif unless he has ladies on each arm to take care of.

Take a look at your home country and see about foreigners infiltrating it without a few bucks. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I seem to remember in history (in America)...That all those Europeans who immigrated there also thought they had a better way to live than the Native Indians. As I remember they just extinguished those that got in the way ....for what they believed was progress and a better way of life. This is Thailand and I for one am very glad that the western influence has been kept to a minimum...Yeah life is sometimes Chaotic, strange ,....different...But thats what makes Thailand a great country to live in ....Its NOT the west

allow foreigners to work as freelancers/entrepreneurs/companies without any restrictions, as long as their clients are exclusively abroad

If the Thai Government had any sense they'd make BKK / Thailand a hub for online start ups, internet entrepreneurs, IM'ers, freelancers etc.

So many already here doing it anyway but having to keep it on the low down as here on tourist visas.

They did something similar in Santiago, Chile where they invited online start ups to come bootstrap their business, make it easy for them to stay, gave them $40,000 worth of capital and a whole load of other benefits.

Yet still BKK will have far more online business owners here than Santiago I'm sure of it.

Start-Up Chile is a program created by the Chilean Government, executed by Corfo via InnovaChile, that seeks to attract early stage, high-potential entrepreneurs to bootstrap their startups in Chile, using it as a platform to go global. The end goal of the accelerator program is to convert Chile into the definitive innovation and entrepreneurial hub of Latin America; this is a mission shared by the Government of Chile and is a primary focus of the Ministry of Economy.

In 2010, the program, at that point just a pilot, brought 22 startups from 14 countries to Chile,providing them with US$40,000 of equity-free seed capital, and a temporary 1-year visa to develop their projects for six months, along with access to the most potent social and capital networks in the country. These selected entrepreneurs were approved by an admission process conducted by Silicon Valley experts and a Chilean Innovation board that focuses ardently on global mindsets and worldwide potential. Of all required criteria, it is essential that the chosen entrepreneurs work in a global mindset, believing that the route to success is via expansion not isolation.

http://startupchile.org/

A retired guy of many years does not need 800,000 a year to live on rolleyes.gif unless he has ladies on each arm to take care of.

Take a look at your home country and see about foreigners infiltrating it without a few bucks. coffee1.gif

Or until he rocks up at the hossie clutching his chest without insurance and begging for a free operation . . . rolleyes.gif

Frankly, I've heard enough about the "immigration problems" in Britain to last me a lifetime. It's all <deleted> aimed at blaming everyone else for their woes.

Or until he rocks up at the hossie clutching his chest without insurance and begging for a free operation . . . rolleyes.gif

Frankly, I've heard enough about the "immigration problems" in Britain to last me a lifetime. It's all <deleted> aimed at blaming everyone else for their woes.

Think you must expand on your post, l don't understand it.

You might not want it to become a Thai bashing thread, but the outcome is predetermined. Give it four or five posts, and see what happens.

You are likely correct. IMHO, it is the Thai Worldview. As the only country on Earth that was never conquered by a Western Power, Thailand has never had to deal as a Vassal to foreigners.

The obvious outcome is that they simply do not understand us like the Burmese, Vietnamese, or Chinese do.

Changing their worldview could change their attitude, which would change many things, including the very unusual Immigration processes.

However, none of that is likely to occur.

4 things come to mind:

1. Get rid of all the energy saving light bulbs that have plagued the island, and revert back to incandescent or use led. The light from these bulbs is horrible, they emit mercury gas and poison the environment.

2. Educate people, especially children as they are more susceptible, as to the dangers of excessive mobile phone use. One 10 minute call by an adult shuts down the blood brain barrier for up to 2 hours, a 2 minute call by a child has the same effect, this will eventually lead to an epidemic in neurological problems, tumors etc.

There was recently an epidemic of breast cancers among the women in Brazil, the cause was identified as mobile phones being kept in bras while not in use.

Similarly with wireless devices, schools in many countries in the west are throwing out the wireless networks and going back to cable as there was an increasing amount of sickness among pupils. The increase in use of wireless enabled ipads among children is another epidemic waiting to happen, they sit with them on their lap for hours frying their reproductive organs, leading to dna damage, passed on to their children.

3. get rid of all the plastic and use paper and glass.

4. Stop putting MSG and huge amounts of sugar in ........ practically everything.

Everyone would be a lot healthier if these changes were made.

Not to argue against your 'changes,' but CFLs do not emmit mercury vapor unless you smash them.

The mobile phone -> cancer connection is likewise nonsense. It doesn't have either the

energy or intensity to do anything to human biology.

As far as what I would change, I would give all the Thais perfect English. At least then they could educate themselves about the world, integrate and be competitive in ASEAN, and articulate to foreigners why they are so special instead of just 'you no Thai people, no understand Thailand.'

Edited by BudRight

Think you must expand on your post, l don't understand it.

You said

A retired guy of many years doesn't need 800,000 a year to live on blah blah

and I said

Not until he turns up at a government hospital clutching his chest and without insurance asking them to save his life.

The point is, he may not need 66,000 a month to live in Thailand but if he ain't got medical insurance - a lot haven't - then 800 large in the bank can at least pay for a couple of life-saving operations. I think the 800k requirement is pretty bloody sensible.

You might not want it to become a Thai bashing thread, but the outcome is predetermined. Give it four or five posts, and see what happens.

I don't think so really.

Most people may post that they wouldn't change a thing.

I have my gripes, but if I was asked to target any particular thing, I may find it difficult.

However, Those annoying Thai soaps may well find themselves in the cross hares.

The awful Thai comedy Thais watch and I'd love to change some of the racist attitudes. We've all heard the Indian putdowns. I'd also like to change "you farang, you rich" attitude. Nothing more annoying than a taxi driver, asking for tip because "you rich farang" - a sure fire way NOT to get a tip.

Apart, from that, nothing much as others have said, this country and culture is so welcoming and rich, you wouldn't want to change it.

no this culture is so welcoming provided you are rich everything needs to be changed it is 3rd world ,dirty ,dangerous ,stupid, poor souls don,t know what a safe clean country is,

I don't think so really.

Most people may post that they wouldn't change a thing.

I have my gripes, but if I was asked to target any particular thing, I may find it difficult.

However, Those annoying Thai soaps may well find themselves in the cross hares.

The awful Thai comedy Thais watch and I'd love to change some of the racist attitudes. We've all heard the Indian putdowns. I'd also like to change "you farang, you rich" attitude. Nothing more annoying than a taxi driver, asking for tip because "you rich farang" - a sure fire way NOT to get a tip.

Apart, from that, nothing much as others have said, this country and culture is so welcoming and rich, you wouldn't want to change it.

no this culture is so welcoming provided you are rich everything needs to be changed it is 3rd world ,dirty ,dangerous ,stupid, poor souls don,t know what a safe clean country is,

That seems a little off-topic and unconstructive. Is there anything specific that you would change, or do you believe that it would be impossible to change Thailand for the better and it is perfect the way that it is?

SC

A few of the changes I would like to see made:

1. Give those on long term visas the option of a 5 year visa including a multiple re-entry permit. This would only be available to those who have lived here permanently for a minumum of, say, 5 years and would be available regardless of whether or not they were married.

2. Improve driving standards and come up with a system where somebody's licence can be taken away for a period as in the west.

3. Increase the maximum foreign ownership in condos to, say, 75%. This could be restricted to the main tourist areas such as Bangkok, Pattata, and Chiang Mai.

Alan

At lot of people are in favor of a 5 year visa with multiple entries....and great idea it is but if the government did that it would lose out on all those visa fees. Thailand is not about to cut out a revenue stream (no matter how small it is)....Or for that matter the visa runs (as much sense as it might make) because then all those Thai's and tour companies that provided the minivans and trips would be out of business...

No ...I think if the Thai's can figure out a way to get more money out of the "farangs" they will. Their not about to do ANYTHING to make our lives easier ...unless of course they can make money off of it.

You are likely correct. IMHO, it is the Thai Worldview. As the only country on Earth that was never conquered by a Western Power, Thailand has never had to deal as a Vassal to foreigners.

The obvious outcome is that they simply do not understand us like the Burmese, Vietnamese, or Chinese do.

Changing their worldview could change their attitude, which would change many things, including the very unusual Immigration processes.

However, none of that is likely to occur.

It´s not like the Thais never felt the pressure of any farang or alien power. We all know that the history taught here has a very narrow view of the world. One reason why they treat and talk bad about their neighbours is because of the selfmade fake myth of their superiority. But thats ok, the world is changing and the Thai are not in a prison like the poor North Koreans, so step after step they will learn and see by theirself who they are. And actually Thailand is only another chinese outpost anyway, they have been colonized secretly long ago. It´s only show biggrin.png

So we all want to have some more civil rights which we actually "deserve". But the Thais are afraid of the evil "foreigners" for whatever reasons. Some said it is good like it is right now, to keep the "crap farangs" out of the country. But if you´re married to a Thai national, you´re very close of beeing a citizen already, that´s a whole different thing, you´re not a tourist, you´re not a retiree. You married one of their own and you promised to love and take care and all you get is 90 days coffee1.gif

That should really be changed, it´s not bitching or bashing, just justice.

Nope, it´s not about the 90 days. But why do they deny basic rights to foreigners? In theory they could even separate families when the farang hasn´t got enough money. Even if it´s 3-4 times more than the average Thai it´s not enough for a visa?! 555. I will never have this problem, so i could say i don´t care as it doesn´t affect me anyway. But on the other side, my wife lived with me in Europe for a very long time and we get treated fair! So i do mind this unfair laws.

They don´t need to allow tourists or retiress more than now, and then 95% of the farang are coverd anyway. But the 5 or 10% who really try to live here and mostly bring money or try to contribute otherwise to this country are treated unfair. Period smile.png

Edited by I knew this would happen

As the only country on Earth that was never conquered by a Western Power, Thailand has never had to deal as a Vassal to foreigners.

It's not the only country that was never colonized by the West...

Libera, Japan, Thailand, Bhutan, Iran etc.