What Would You Change (if you could)

klubex99

We all love Thai culture, that is the reason why so many of us are here. It's not all about economics, because many other countries have better economies to be taken advantage of for those only stretching their pensions as far as possible. Yet so many choose Thailand.

Thainess does have its infinite charms, but as I have read on here (and also posted) it also seems to have its fair share of faults.

So if you could wave a magic wand and eradicate certain aspects of the culture or way of life..... What would you target?

This is not to be turned into a Thai bashing thread, It isn't about that. It is about the fact we all have our certain little grumbles about things here, even though the positives far outweigh the negatives, but in your judgement, what are the niggly things that prevent LOS from being a veritable utopia?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might not want it to become a Thai bashing thread, but the outcome is predetermined. Give it four or five posts, and see what happens.

I don't think so really.

Most people may post that they wouldn't change a thing.

I have my gripes, but if I was asked to target any particular thing, I may find it difficult.

However, Those annoying Thai soaps may well find themselves in the cross hares.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

I think I would waive my magic wand and not change anything. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I think I said that last time we had this discussion... the one about the search engine was originally someone else's, though.

I'd probably try to improve people's spelling, and I'd like to teach the world to sing...

• Like 2

I would remove all of the restrictions on the employment of non Thais in Thailand.

I think both Thailand and many of the expats here would benefit greatly.

Also the reluctance to hire anyone ( Thai or not) over the age of 30.30 is just about the age where people have gained enough experience to be proficient and have learned a decent work ethic.

Just my thoughts.

I would remove all of the restrictions on the employment of non Thais in Thailand.

Also the reluctance to hire anyone ( Thai or not) over the age of 30.30 is just about the age where people have gained enough experience to be proficient and have learned a decent work ethic.

Just my thoughts.

Sure, I can just see all the wrinkly farang retirees,queuing up for a minimum wage job at 7 /11.or the local rice paddies.

Just my thoughts.

Sure, I can just see all the wrinkly farang retirees,queuing up for a minimum wage job at 7 /11.or the local rice paddies.

I did try, they said sorry, tooooooooooo wrinkly sad.png . Drat........coffee1.gif

The awful Thai comedy Thais watch and I'd love to change some of the racist attitudes. We've all heard the Indian putdowns. I'd also like to change "you farang, you rich" attitude. Nothing more annoying than a taxi driver, asking for tip because "you rich farang" - a sure fire way NOT to get a tip.

Apart, from that, nothing much as others have said, this country and culture is so welcoming and rich, you wouldn't want to change it.

Edited by Hawkman

Give us a decent status, stop 90 day reports and just use annual visa's, or 5 year permits for long stay retired, treat us more like people and not the well used "Aliens".

Agreed, AND eradicate ants and Mozzies. thumbsup.gif

CharlieH....agree with you and transam...live here married to Thai = 5 yr Permit...no questions asked. You divorce and back to the 90day reports. that keeps an eye on the undesireables, they don't want....

• Like 2

Just my thoughts.

It would be a money saving profit maker!

It takes 6-8 young Thais to operate a 7/11.

In other countries one wrinkly face can run the whole show...and more efficiently too!

P.S. This wrinkly face has been seen in his wife's rice paddy from time to time ( but not working of course!)

• Like 2

Just my thoughts.

It would be a money saving profit maker!

It takes 6-8 young Thais to operate a 7/11.

In other countries one wrinkly face can run the whole show...and more efficiently too!

P.S. This wrinkly face has been seen in his wife's rice paddy from time to time ( but not working of course!)

I do smile when in a LOS 7/11 or mini Tesco that there is always more staff than customers. smile.png

How they all linger and lounge around Star Buck all the time. I'm here now as a paying customer of over 400 baht worth of goods, and we're struggling to find a table. 90% of them don't even have a drink, just a book, uni notes and an Ipod, pretending to study.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Improvements for foreigners:

- make a retirement visa accessible regardless of age, as long as there are 10 million net in the bank

- allow foreigners to work as freelancers/entrepreneurs/companies without any restrictions, as long as their clients are exclusively abroad

- allow foreigners to own up to 6 rai of land in designated areas, only for their own/family residential purpose and/or to house their freelancer activity or company with foreign activity

Improvements for Thailand:

- education. English language should be a huge huge priority

- TV: the Thai government should put great effort into making one quality TV channel with intelligent news, scientific vulgarisation programmes and cultural openness programmes.

- police: the police needs to act better against dangerous behavior, not just when there is a crackdown, and courts have to be much harsher against repeat offenders. This includes technical inspections of buildings, boats, buses, etc.

- Thailand needs in general to improve its cleanness, in the fields near cities and on the beaches. I suggest creating a "trash police" who will examine trash and track and fine or jail offenders.