US Embassy in Bangkok still open despite US's shutdown

webfact

I hope America falls flat on her face like the USSR...

How can you not afford to keep your government open, but have enough cash to fight false flag wars?

coffee1.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Except the us hasn't run out of money (or rather, people willing to lend them money), just disagreement on where the money should go. But hey, continue to sprout out your ignorance to the world. Btw I find it ironic that you call CNN communist but cite Russia Today as a credible news source when they literally have not reported a single news item which paints russia inca negative light and have been calling for a US collapse since 2008

Well, having to borrow money every month to fund your outgoings, would seem to fullfill the entire concept of the meaning of "run out of money" to me. Not all debt is bad, but reality is, the amount of debt that the USA has, is essentially unfundable, without massive devaluation.

So true. I have a budget and live with it. Unfortunately for my country, the budget and deficit is out of control and an economic meltdown is a possibility. For the worlds largest economy to tumble, even our enemies will be caught up in the ensuing financial tsunami.

It won't tumble, they will just pay back in less value. I.e. devalue the currency

It's inevitable.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope social security processes their monthly deposits.

My SSN money was deposited into my account today.

Same here. Mine was deposited on the 2nd. This partial shut down does not affect SS payments but Messiah Obama stated this week if there is a total shut down next month the SS checks will be delayed.

• Like 1

+1. Maybe it IS better that Russia or China took over, that way all these idiots complaining about the US can be quickly shipped of to the gulags they so love and adore.

I'm hoping Thailand takes over, then nothing will ever change in the world....Peace and serenity will ensue. Plus the Tourism Authority of Thailand can say Thailand is the Hub of the World...come visit us.

"As always, our priorities remain greasing the skids for multinational corporations, providing cover for CIA, DEA, CPB, FBI, IRS, NSA and (?), and doing as little as possible for ordinary lowlife American citizens."

I've been treated decently at the American Consulate in CM, for routine matters like income statements, notary services, etc. Never been to the Embassy in Bangkok, but the one in KL Malaysia did all right by me, no complaints.

My only complaint about this shutdown is none of the above-named agencies will be affected at all. This is what we get when know-nothing Tea party dickheads, financed by evil entities like the Koch Crime family, are voted in by Fox News addicts. Pitiful.

And of course the Democrats have a complete vision. Go put your head in some ice water and sober up.

I've sent a copy of this thread and all it's anti-american, communistic replies to Langly, VA. Some of you should be expecting a little visit from the C.I.A. whistling.gif

just as soon as they reopen. cheesy.gif

The NSA will be checking them out first. Of course, when they re open.

U.S. Consulates are primarily funded through user fees versus appropriations from Congress so the govt shutdown will probably have little affect on most of their operations. And any consulate folks who may be funded by direct appropriations are probably exempted (i.e, considered essential) and must continue to work as normal...no furloughs or missed paychecks for them.

Are you saying that the salaries for everyone stationed there and locals, security, benefits, perqs, and t & e for dinners, cocktail parties, travel..etc are covered by "user fees?" That's a preposterous consideration.

I agree with this. I don't know about the embassy in BKK but certainly the one here in Laos isn't generating enough user fees to wean itself off of the treasuries teats.

How do you know what the consulate fee revenue is unless maybe you work there? Plus, since the fees are the same for all consulates worldwide, whether it's fees collected from American citizens or foriegn nationals, I expect you have some consulates who operate at a profit, some at a loss, but the worldwide fee total breaks even and are consolidated into one big U.S. State Dept pot which funds "all" the consulates/allows all to stay open. By U.S. law the consulates are predominately funded from users fees and access to appropriated funds is limited. Guess this funding approach definitely works good to minimize impacts on foreign nationals and U.S. expats needing to get some document issued whether or not a budget food fight is occurring in D.C. Also allows foreign nationals, like when they are getting a visa to enter the U.S., to fund part of the operational costs with U.S. expats picking up the rest of the cost.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

If they are funded from the central treasury, then all of this talk about them being funded by user fees is laughable. They are essential services under the law. Go on and tell me about how the embassy in VTE or for that matter Baghdad is self sufficient. Also as you mentioned earlier I don't work there so wouldn't know. So what is your name ambassador?

Edited by anotheruser

If they are funded from the central treasury, then all of this talk about them being funded by user fees is laughable. They are essential services under the law. Go on and tell me about how the embassy in VTE or for that matter Baghdad is self sufficient. Also as you mentioned earlier I don't work there so wouldn't know. So what is your name ambassador?

All you have to do is google a little bit to find the answer...I'm sure you can find a source of info that will satisfy you...or you can review the links already given in this thread.

I hope social security processes their monthly deposits.

My SSN money was deposited into my account today.

can i get my check which is coming soon direct deposit to Bangkok Bank.

As I have no usa bank account

Sure just setup a direct deposit account with Bangkok Bank then you provide your local Bangkok Bank dirct deposit account number and the Bangkok Bank New York branch routing number to the SSA. In fact Bangkok Bank may even mail the direct deposit form to the SSA for you, but I recommend you provide the bank info to the SSA. Just go to the Bangkok Bank web site and read up on Direct Deposit accounts for U.S. govt pensions (they are a little different than a standard savings account with certain restrictions) and international funds ACH transfers via their New York branch. Total fees per deposit will be around $11-$12 for a typical pension payment under $2000. Easy and low cost. You should also setup a regular saving account so you can transfer the funds from the direct deposit account to the regular savings with debit card as needed.

All you have to do is google a little bit to find the answer...I'm sure you can find a source of info that will satisfy you...or you can review the links already given in this thread.

In addition to the other posts/links in this thread stating how user fees cover operating expenses of consulate operations due to a U.S. law requiring such, here is another Link from the U.S. Consulate in Jordan that I think sums it up pretty good...below is a cut and paste from the web site. Keep in mind when reviewing this link it only showing the fees for American citizens, not the fees that are also charged to foreign citizens for visas and other things they must get from the U.S. Consulate. This big pot of money then predominately pays the bills/salaries/etc., for the hundreds of overseas consulates and other consulate services domestic and overseas. But as I mentioned in another post I expect X-amount of folks in the embassy such as the Ambassador and certain other federal employees get paid by another State Dept pot of money since these employees are probably exempted...plus the Ambassador is a political appointee...these exempted folks always get paid just like the President and Congress continues to get paid. I still remember when the last U.S. State Dept fee study was underway in late 2009 and it was open for public comment and showing the new proposed fees, because I submitted comments (a bitch) about the notary fee jumping from $30 (already expensive) to $50 (really expensive)....I'm sure many other folks did also. There use to be a ThaiVisa thread on it...maybe it's still in ThaiVisa archive somewhere.

Increase of Consular Fees to Take Effect July 13, 2010.

On June 28, 2010, the U.S. Department of State published its Schedule of Fees for Consular Services in the Federal Register. The schedule includes fees for passports, immigrant visas and other consular services. The changes will take effect on July 13, 2010, 15 days after publication in the Federal Register. The revised fees will cover actual operating expenses for the 301 overseas consular posts, 23 domestic passport agencies and other centers that provide these consular services to U.S. and foreign citizens.

The 27 adjusted fees are based on a Cost of Service Study completed by the Bureau of Consular Affairs in June 2009. The study, which was the most detailed and exhaustive ever conducted by the U.S. Department of State, established the true cost of providing these consular services, which the Department recovers through the collection of fees.

• 6 months later...

I hope America falls flat on her face like the USSR...

How can you not afford to keep your government open, but have enough cash to fight false flag wars?

coffee1.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

I hope you are right. I mean if you didn't like how America ran they show, you are going to love how the Chinese do it.

while the situations are totally different the US government is on par with the Thai government as far as getting anything done! The US republicans are the Democrats of Thailand as far as getting policies past into law!

Just Like Rome the US has had its day, regrettably you might be right about the Chinese. Not wanting to be paranoid, but with the latest fiasco in Ukraine, I wonder if these as*hole Politicians are looking for a world war!

U.S. Consulates are primarily funded through user fees versus appropriations from Congress so the govt shutdown will probably have little affect on most of their operations. And any consulate folks who may be funded by direct appropriations are probably exempted (i.e, considered essential) and must continue to work as normal...no furloughs or missed paychecks for them.

Are you saying that the salaries for everyone stationed there and locals, security, benefits, perqs, and t & e for dinners, cocktail parties, travel..etc are covered by "user fees?" That's a preposterous consideration.

I agree with this. I don't know about the embassy in BKK but certainly the one here in Laos isn't generating enough user fees to wean itself off of the treasuries teats.

How do you know what the consulate fee revenue is unless maybe you work there? Plus, since the fees are the same for all consulates worldwide, whether it's fees collected from American citizens or foriegn nationals, I expect you have some consulates who operate at a profit, some at a loss, but the worldwide fee total breaks even and are consolidated into one big U.S. State Dept pot which funds "all" the consulates/allows all to stay open. By U.S. law the consulates are predominately funded from users fees and access to appropriated funds is limited. Guess this funding approach definitely works good to minimize impacts on foreign nationals and U.S. expats needing to get some document issued whether or not a budget food fight is occurring in D.C. Also allows foreign nationals, like when they are getting a visa to enter the U.S., to fund part of the operational costs with U.S. expats picking up the rest of the cost.

You are right, I don't work at the embassy in Laos. I am just guessing that the half a dozen or so passport renewals they get per year don't pay the bills.