Thai Education Min Chaturon: Coupons won't replace free tablets

webfact

Coupons won't replace free tablets: Chaturon
The Nation

30216082-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang has downplayed reports that the government will offer a cash coupon worth Bt3,000 in place of a tablet computer for each student.

"It's just an idea. It's not a conclusion," he said during his working trip to France.

He also explained that even if cash coupons were handed out, they would be given only to those students planning to buy tablets, perhaps with better specifications, for themselves. Other students would still get free tablet computers from the government, he said.

"Some wealthier parents may want a better device for their children, so some officials proposed the coupon option," Chaturon said.

He dismissed rumours that the coupon proposal had been prompted by the delayed procurement of tablets over the past two years.

He said the Education Ministry planned to review the procurement process over the last two fiscal years to identify obstacles and disadvantages and to address problems such as delays.

The tablet procurement is part of the government's One Tablet PC Per Child Project, a much-touted election promise made by the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-02

Has there actually been any feedback as to what positive benefits this scheme has produced?

How much better were the 'tablet armed' students than those 'book armed' students pre-tablet?

I think it is too early to see whether any benefits come from this crazy scheme (other than for the government as an election carrot)

'book armed' you don't see many of these, with the exception of 'comic books'

The majority of Thai children through to and including teenagers lack any real "passion for learning, hunger for knowledge, desire for academic

excellence, and commitment to learn" which is exacerbated by their teachers who in general don't know shyt from Shinola.

The teachers own academic qualifications are so very often bought in any event coffee1.gif

Has there actually been any feedback as to what positive benefits this scheme has produced?

How much better were the 'tablet armed' students than those 'book armed' students pre-tablet?

I think it is too early to see whether any benefits come from this crazy scheme (other than for the government as an election carrot)

'book armed' you don't see many of these, with the exception of 'comic books'

The majority of Thai children through to and including teenagers lack any real "passion for learning, hunger for knowledge, desire for academic

excellence, and commitment to learn" which is exacerbated by their teachers who in general don't know shyt from Shinola.

The teachers own academic qualifications are so very often bought in any event Posted Image

You're right of course, it is early days. Presumably though there are some 'end of semester exam' comparisons.

I share any belief that the Thai education system revolves around teachers teaching, rather than students learning.

"Some wealthier parents may want a better device for their children, so some officials proposed the coupon option," Chaturon said

Shouldn't everyone be using the same tablet. Just like they wear the same uniforms and have the same haircuts.

How wealthy are some of the parents? Best way is to see what car they drive into school in in the morning. If a nice car, they're 'obviously' wealthy and need no assistance. That's how it works, right?

It's true that it's just an idea, but it's a very poorly thought out idea. It's one thing having a bad idea in the confines of your cushy office meeting room - it's another thing declaring a poor idea in public and then defending it by saying "It's just an idea". What next? "It wasn't even my idea! It was hers" (Pointing at some low level secretary who takes minutes of meeting)

I was just thinking looking at that picture that half of those kids have an expression that says something like, "Do I have to be photographed with this piece of junk when I have a much better one at home."

That's assuming they have a clue what they're standing there for. "Teacher said stand here and hold this" why? "Teacher said stand here and hold this" ......... Thai education in action.
  • Like 1

The powers that be are still working on the commission they will receive on a survey poll. The test scores have to be screened for any texting during the tests as well as receipt of monies for the eary test copies which were delivered on a deferred payment basis.(intrest rate inflation needs to be considered)

Yes.... I was at several schools in the North and the teachers told me that tablets were no good and having a lot of problems. However, the added that they understood that the latest batch of tablets would meet the required standard. Of course the tablets are being given to the students because many of the teachers are low paid and not well qualified. Many of them relied on books with "Join The Dots" answers for the children to learn by themselves. The tablets just take this one step further,

He dismissed rumours that the coupon proposal had been prompted by the delayed procurement of tablets over the past two years.

News flash for the previously banned for electoral fraud Education Minister.

There have been colossal procurement problems regarding the tablet scam non-stop since its implementation.
Even his own Office of Basic Education Commission was just telling us yesterday:

Anek went on to say that the cash-coupon plan was seen as a way of helping with the state agency's procurement problems

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671588-obec-considers-cash-coupon-plan-for-tablets/#entry6877446

Yes.... I was at several schools in the North and the teachers told me that tablets were no good and having a lot of problems. However, the added that they understood that the latest batch of tablets would meet the required standard. Of course the tablets are being given to the students because many of the teachers are low paid and not well qualified. Many of them relied on books with "Join The Dots" answers for the children to learn by themselves. The tablets just take this one step further,

"He said the Education Ministry planned to review the procurement process over the last two fiscal years to identify obstacles and disadvantages and to address problems such as delays."

In other words there is no feed back on the value of the software programs just the quality of the hardware and inability of the government to get it's corruption money in time to allow a timely delivery of the machines.

What they want is machines that will teach them to connect the dots for a longer period of time.

so now we have a minister of education coming in and saying that he completely agrees with his predecessor that the whole system needs changing from top to bottom and them proceeds to defend the system in use. Did any one ask him if he planned on running electricity into all schools?

The man fits right in to the parade of elephants trunk hooked to tail. You know thw one called the PTP parade.

• Like 1

My son is now in P2 and he brought his tablet home. It looks okay, but why is the he still carrying 5 to 7 kilograms of textbooks everyday. I would think the school textbooks should now be on his tablet.

The answer's probably TIT!

I still wonder about any actual benefit to the education of the STUDENTS.

We are aware of the political benefits and the 'we are the hub of bringing electronic gadgets into the classroom' which they seem to think the international community want to hear.

Bearing in mind the requirement for the tablets didn't come from the teaching professionals, and they are the ones who are expected to provide an integrated electronic/hard copy education, I personally believe there are little, if any benefits. If anything, there are probably detrimental results as the teachers try to juggle the school's 'you must use them', against the 'I wonder how'.

Possibly I'm being unfair to the Thai education professionals, but they don't strike me as being the most pro-active, innovative people to be given this task.

My son is now in P2 and he brought his tablet home. It looks okay, but why is the he still carrying 5 to 7 kilograms of textbooks everyday. I would think the school textbooks should now be on his tablet.

Daughter in P2 as well. The tab is now at the school, came preinstalled with a couple of silly apps and that's it. They haven't used it for anything and I don't think they will. The teachers don't have a clue and there are no apps. I fiddled with the tab, got a 7" and a 10.1" Samsung myself, it's seems adequate enough. One would think there would be great business opportunities in creating the school apps, but I guess it's a project the politicians would much rather have dead, buried and forgotten than actually functioning.

I'm currently in Isaan, one of the kids here had the same tab. Apparently there is a jailbreak or some such, as she has been able to install a few games on it. Now that tab really does see some real action.

• Like 1

"He said the Education Ministry planned to review the procurement process over the last two fiscal years to identify obstacles and disadvantages and to address problems such as delays."

In other words there is no feed back on the value of the software programs just the quality of the hardware and inability of the government to get it's corruption money in time to allow a timely delivery of the machines.

What they want is machines that will teach them to connect the dots for a longer period of time.

so now we have a minister of education coming in and saying that he completely agrees with his predecessor that the whole system needs changing from top to bottom and them proceeds to defend the system in use. Did any one ask him if he planned on running electricity into all schools?

The man fits right in to the parade of elephants trunk hooked to tail. You know thw one called the PTP parade.

Excellent points.

The often forgotten issue that the Government's focus is the supply (as per their manifesto) rather than educational benefit of these tablets.

Can't really blame the minister for not changing things. Presumably he's getting ready for the next 'all change' in his ministry.

Btw, why is he in France? Obviously a chance for him to show off his French language skills, but is he there to amuse the French by promoting the Thai education system or to learn about the French system?

Can't think of either benefitting Thai students. Incorporating change, especially non-Thai change, doesn't readily spring to mind when considering the way things are done in Thailand.