The Juicing Thread

tropo

About 3 weeks ago I bought a Hurom slow juicer at Central. http://www.slowjuicer.com/

...so I'm getting right into this new hobby and making some pretty nasty tasting juices. My idea is to make juices with the maximum nutritional punch irrespective of flavour. They're down the hatch jobs.

I'm interested to hear what other people are juicing up.

Here's an example of one I made up today:

1. 1 carrot

2. 1 cucumber

3. 1 beetroot

4. 1 lemon

5. 1 stick of celery

6. a bunch of parsley

7. a bunch of kale

8. 1/2 small white cabbage.

9. 2 inch chunk of ginger. (too much ginger makes it very spicy)

That made 1 litre of juice, I drink half in the evening and half in the morning.

The lemon helps take away some of the bitterness. It's not great tasting, but it's pretty easy to get down.

I also juice broccoli if I have it on hand. I use all sorts of green leafy Thai vegetables.

When I want a very pleasant drink I juice apple, orange and pineapple together. Pineapple is the great because I don't need to peel it for this juicer and a medium sized pineapple can make nearly a litre of juice. The juicer comes with 2 filters, so I can have more or less pulp depending on my preference.

• Like 1

Nice machine.. what i want to know what is the cleaning like unlike you I am not retired and am quite busy that is why I try to spend as less time as possible on stuff like this. On the other hand I am a total planner so that means once I start I would do it regularly and that means a lot of shopping. I think juicing especially of vegetables could be quite healthy as it has never proven vitamins from tablets (we both take those) are absorbed in the same way.

Tell me about the cleaning I am interested. Also what kind of price range should I be thinking of.

I've been making juices for years, and been through a few machines. At the moment am using a cheapish Sharp 800w blender. I either juice only vegetables or only fruits

The fruit I juice is a mixture of 3 fruits, taken from pomelo, oranges, watermelon,pineapple,lemon, and lots of berries (raspberry, blackberry, cranberry,blueberry etc etc) and I most always add a helping of powdered whey protein to the mixture.

The vegetables I juice are always raw and usually always consist of broccoli, couple of garlic gloves, maybe a half carrot, bit of ginger, cabbage and a lemon. The lemon is needed to take away

the bitterness of the raw broccoli and the spiciness of the garlic and ginger. The taste took a bit of getting used to, but now everything goes down just fine.

Winnie, A-bombs, D-bombs, Tren, Test...

Sorry for the offtopic but that's what I thought it would be about after reading the title. biggrin.png

Hahahaha you just associate bodybuilders with the other kind of juice.. it is indeed a common term for using.

• Like 1

My only question is ... WHY?

Health David

Though fruit juices are not that good (missing out on the fibers) The same cannot be said for vegetables.

I'm interested to know how juicing makes either fruit or veg more healthy? Or is it just the convenience factor?

Nice machine.. what i want to know what is the cleaning like unlike you I am not retired and am quite busy that is why I try to spend as less time as possible on stuff like this. On the other hand I am a total planner so that means once I start I would do it regularly and that means a lot of shopping. I think juicing especially of vegetables could be quite healthy as it has never proven vitamins from tablets (we both take those) are absorbed in the same way.

Tell me about the cleaning I am interested. Also what kind of price range should I be thinking of.

I went to Central to buy a regular centrifugal juicer, but when I saw this on special I couldn't resist. The regular price was 13,000 baht. I got it for 10,000.

Here's the video I saw in the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXTEPUggyuw

There's lots of YouTube videos singing their praise. When you see the Omega juicer, that's the same machine with a different badge for the US market.

They call it a slow juicer, but that's not because it makes juice slowly (it's actually faster as you can see in the video), but because it's a slow moving corkscrew which presses the juice out of the vegetables and fruit rather than chopping them up as in a regular juicer.

The cleaning is quick and easy - that's one of the great features... much faster than cleaning a regular juicer. About 2 minutes when you get the hang of it.

Even better, you can put water through it to clean it between different types of juices. You'll see this on the video too.

First thing in the day I make a fruit juice mix that I drink later on with my protein powder. Then I put water through it and leave it for later on when I make the vegetable juice.... so you could use it many times in a day without cleaning it and doing that at the end of the day, once only... and quick.

Health David

Though fruit juices are not that good (missing out on the fibers) The same cannot be said for vegetables.

I'm interested to know how juicing makes either fruit or veg more healthy? Or is it just the convenience factor?

It doesn't make the vegetables more healthy, but it increases the amount of vegetables you can consume and in a raw state.

Robblok, you can get a lot of fiber with this juicer. If you use the coarse filter, you're getting a lot of pulp. You can make very pulpy carrot, orange and pineapple juice.

Another feature is that the juices stay fresh longer than from a regular juicer, because you're not chopping up the cells, but pressing them. A good example is the colour of tomato juice done in this juicer vs a regular juicer. The juice is red from this juicer and orange in a regular juicer. It tasted different too.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Winnie, A-bombs, D-bombs, Tren, Test...

Sorry for the offtopic but that's what I thought it would be about after reading the title. biggrin.png

Hahahaha you just associate bodybuilders with the other kind of juice.. it is indeed a common term for using.

LOL. I didn't even think about that when choosing a title.

Health David

It doesn't make the vegetables more healthy, but it increases the amount of vegetables you can consume and in a raw state.

Robblok, you can get a lot of fiber with this juicer. If you use the course filter, you're getting a lot of pulp. You can make very pulpy carrot, orange and pineapple juice.

Another feature is that the juices stay fresh longer than from a regular juicer, because you're not chopping up the cells, but pressing them. A good example is the colour of tomato juice done in this juicer vs a regular juicer. The juice is red from this juicer and orange in a regular juicer. It tasted different too.

"It doesn't make the vegetables more healthy, but it increases the amount of vegetables you can consume and in a raw state."

OK, I'll buy that. I always assumed that it was one of those fads that come and go but I see your logic.

Just be careful not to have too much carrot juice or fruit juice without diluting it with vegetables that don't have much sugar. I know that you are watching your blood sugar.

No problems with 1 carrot, or 1/2 sometimes. I think fruit juice made with this machine will benefit people with sugar problems due to the extra nutrient intake as long as they moderate according to their individual tolerance. You can make a very pulpy pineapple juice - with lots of fiber. You can also make your carrot juice very pulpy - again loaded with fiber.

It can almost be like blending the fruit instead of juicing it if I use the coarse filter.

Edited by tropo

Health David

It does not make the fruit of veg more healthy.. actually if your watching your weight they will tell you not to drink fruit juices as you can consume a lot of it. If you were to eat the fruits itself you would be full faster because of the fiber.

For juicing vegetables I think its more healthy as you get in a load more vegetables as you would normally eat plus vegetables in general are not caloric dense so no weight implications. Plus your not cooking it and (maybe) destroying some of its benefits.

That is just my take on it, supported by some websites.

@tropo hefty price but I seen the vids and it looks like a great machine.

Initially I was struggling with the price, but I'm really happy I bought it now. There's just no comparison with a regular juicer. It has a 5 year warranty. In the US they give the Omega (same machine) a 10 year warranty, so it is very high quality.

Also, you can't juice leafy vegetables with a regular juicer.

"It doesn't make the vegetables more healthy, but it increases the amount of vegetables you can consume and in a raw state."

OK, I'll buy that. I always assumed that it was one of those fads that come and go but I see your logic.

Juicing is no fad. It's a very respected way to increase nutrient intake and improve health.

One of the things which always puts people off juicing is cleaning the machines. This new machine addresses that problem.

Edited by tropo

Juicing is no fad. It's a very respected way to increase nutrient intake and health.

One of the things which always puts people off juicing is cleaning the machines. This new machine addresses that problem.

Actually the cleaning was reason that i never started juicing. I have had juicers before.. hard to clean ect. The price is high but I can afford it i want. I think its a good thing to get more nutrients for people like me who eat not that much vegetables.

Juicing is no fad. It's a very respected way to increase nutrient intake and health.

Actually the cleaning was reason that i never started juicing. I have had juicers before.. hard to clean ect. The price is high but I can afford it i want. I think its a good thing to get more nutrients for people like me who eat not that much vegetables.

That's my main concern too. I just don't eat enough variety of vegetables and I'm not much of a salad person.

It's not expensive if you consider the benefits.

I used a regular juicer for years back in Australia.... but as I said, you can't juice leafy vegetables in a regular juicer, and these pack the biggest nutritional punch of all.

Just as you are, I'm starting to consider the limitations of vitamin supplements. I'll save on vitamin supplements and spend that money on fresh vegetables.

Edited by tropo

I want this one : Angel Juicer 5500 / 7500 / 8500 review and demonstration

Lots of the 'life-force' or goodness (vitamins, enzymes etc) is destroyed in fast / high intensity action blenders and juicers. This is readily reflected in how blitzed juices go off much faster than the slow juiced kind. Ever had a glass of juice and thought *bang!* "there's some life in that!" ?

I know it that it sounds odd to describe how squeezing juice out of something can be gentle, but the 'gentler' (but no less strong) the action, the more goodness is preserved

That made 1 litre of juice, I drink half in the evening and half in the morning.

OP - you're better not to let the juice sit for several hours, but to drink it a straight after juicing.

We've been juicing for ten years. Used to be apples, carrots, celery and ginger, but now with a new juicer - Philips Viva Collection, with a large "neck", we juice kale, guava, apple, carrot, celery and ginger, the fruit cuts the bitterness of the kale. The juicer is easy to clean, and with the wider neck there is very little chopping required.

OP - you're better not to let the juice sit for several hours, but to drink it a straight after juicing.

We've been juicing for ten years. Used to be apples, carrots, celery and ginger, but now with a new juicer - Philips Viva Collection, with a large "neck", we juice kale, guava, apple, carrot, celery and ginger, the fruit cuts the bitterness of the kale. The juicer is easy to clean, and with the wider neck there is very little chopping required.

Actually I don't believe that is the case with juice made by slow action squeezing. The manufacturers claim it is good for 3 days, I don't leave it much more than 8 hours - and it tastes exactly the same as the freshly squeezed batch.

I am a bit of juice fanatic from way back but dont really juice much these days.

First off the best juicers are the hand pressed ones that preserves most of the vital enzymes so the slow juicer sounds like the next best option for juicers.

You can store the juice but is best taken straight away as a lot of the good stuff oxidises in the first 20 minutes.

You should try to get organic veggies if possible not so easy in Thailand i know.

You should also chew your juices macrobiotic style for maximum benefit ie dont gulp them straight down.

Fresh veggie juices can help many problems. They are highly recommended for anybody really because they give you a huge blast of vitamins and minerals in one go.

My favourite is carrot celery and beetroot..ideal for many health conditions

Here is a good link for what the colour of vegetables mean and which vegetables are likely to help with certain conditions.

http://www.nutritionstyle.net/what-do-the-colors-of-vegetables-mean/

There are also some good books out there on what combination of juices may help certain conditions.

And before anybody makes a wisecrack. This is not intended as a cure or remedy just as a suggestion as there has probably never been and never will be any extensive research on the subject.

A lot of that left over fibre from juicing can be used to make nice healthy fritters, carrots eg. Just mix it up in a little batter and/or egg, however you prefer to do it, and shallow fry in whatever oil you prefer. Add a bit of spice. Tastes pretty good.

• Like 1

@tropo hefty price but I seen the vids and it looks like a great machine.

Initially I was struggling with the price, but I'm really happy I bought it now. There's just no comparison with a regular juicer. It has a 5 year warranty. In the US they give the Omega (same machine) a 10 year warranty, so it is very high quality.

Also, you can't juice leafy vegetables with a regular juicer.

Looks a good buy i just checked the UK price 3rd gen is £329 from Amazone