The Juicing Thread

tropo

@tolly,

THat is the hurum juicer, i love it still use it a lot and it definately works good. Only the leafy vegetables can be a bit tricky that they clog up the exit. If you take care it does not happen and just use other vegetables to get them pushed out.

In general i start with some garlic / ginger and then the leafy vegetables after those the stuff like beet root and carrot and lime ect. I am quite happy with it it helps me more then the vitamins i took and i really feel i am getting enough vegetables now in my diet.

A good diet / healthy food is a great basis for the body.

I know your crazy about organic but I don't even try to get that here.

@tolly,

THat is the hurum juicer, i love it still use it a lot and it definately works good. Only the leafy vegetables can be a bit tricky that they clog up the exit. If you take care it does not happen and just use other vegetables to get them pushed out.

In general i start with some garlic / ginger and then the leafy vegetables after those the stuff like beet root and carrot and lime ect. I am quite happy with it it helps me more then the vitamins i took and i really feel i am getting enough vegetables now in my diet.

A good diet / healthy food is a great basis for the body.

I know your crazy about organic but I don't even try to get that here.

Do you get a lot of pulp in your juice? Using the black (fine) screen I get a large amount of pulp. I also get seepage under the juicing attachment where it attaches to the motor - do you get this? I'm concerned my unit maybe faulty. I juice quite a bit at a time - about 1.5 - 2 litres on average and at least a third of that is from leafy vegetables (broccoli, water spinach, celery, bok choi, cabbage etc). I cut the stems into small pieces to avoid threads clogging up the machine.

I got loads of pulp but i use the orange strainer. i almost never have leakage and when i do its just minor like 1 drip.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How much juice are you making each batch. Are you using many green vegetables with fiber (threads) in their stems?

I got loads of pulp but i use the orange strainer. i almost never have leakage and when i do its just minor like 1 drip.

How much juice are you making each batch. Are you using many green vegetables with fiber (threads) in their stems?

Every batch fills the container and I use just 300 grams of green leafy vegetables.. the rest is made up from garlic / ginger a carrot some limes 2 beet roots.. a cucumber and some tomatoes

Every batch fills the container and I use just 300 grams of green leafy vegetables.. the rest is made up from garlic / ginger a carrot some limes 2 beet roots.. a cucumber and some tomatoes

What proportion of liquid would come from the leafy vegetables? I would assume that carrots, beetroots, tomatoes and cucumbers would make up most of your liquid volume. The reason I'm asking is because I believe it's the threads from stalks which is clogging up my juicer and making it leak through the bottom. Some of my batches are nearly 1 litre from the green vegetables alone.

After reading about your garlic excursions I decided to try some in my last batch. I put in 3 cloves (in about 1.6 litres of juice). The wife has requested that I discontinue this as I'm "damaging my breath" (in her wordssmile.png). I shall take her advice as I don't appreciate garlic breath too much myself either. I thought maybe in juice form it will clear from the system more quickly than the cooked and eaten version.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this arrived from Korea today. Total VAT and duty came to 1173 baht. The people that sent it put a value of $100 on the waybill.

IMG_20131219_170256_zps5a581f70.jpg

Just made my first glass of raw V8 juice. Not bad at all, and full of good stuff. smile.png

So you paid about 10,300 baht in total. You did well as that model was 12,900 in Central. It has the foam cap on the front of the juice exit tube. That could become a bit of a nuisance if you're juicing lots of green vegetables with threads as it may become clogged.

So you bought it online... and it arrives safely, I cannot find one in Samui, could you please send me the link, it would be kind, so I could buy the same at the same place, I really do miss a good juicer.

My juices vary according to the season and what I find in my organic coop.

Also I try to add variety and pleasure to it but put some sweet vegetable/fruits so it does not taste too bad

these days it's :

- 5/6 Lotus sticks

- 1 small head of oak leaves salad

- 1/2 bunch of spinach

- 1/2 Grapefruit (some of the white stuff included)

- 2 small Turnips (they are actually fruits that look like turnips, sweet and crunchy, like apples but much cheaper)

- 1 small Bottle Gourd or Mara (quiet sweet also)

- 1 beetroot (so it's not always a green liquid)

- ginger

Edited by Kitsune

I am still keeping up the juicing, in a week i might forget it once. I have even gone so far as to ad protein powder to my brew, and use a mixer to mix it all up. I am replacing the plastic juice jug with a glass one as its easier to clean.

I certainly believe that juicing is giving me health benefits.

• Like 1

I want to address a very important consideration: Allergies to vegetable juices.

I've been thinking for a while now that maybe I have an allergy to one or more of the ingredients in my juice concoction.

I've been experiencing a lot of rhinitis since I started juicing. At first I thought it was probably coincidence and pollen from outside has been responsible. I've even been blaming dust from the construction site next door, but I now believe that I'm suffering from an allergy to one of my juice ingredients.

A couple of days ago I was really suffering. It felt like I had a very bad cold - blocked nose, sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose.

I threw out my juice and the next day I made a more simple concoction as I plan to find out what I'm allergic too by the process of elimination. After taking a day off juice and changing it up I had a clear nose yesterday. The only green vegetable I juiced was celery. I eliminated all the weird Thai vegetables.

I have suffered from hay fever most of my life, but I have never had too much of a problem in Thailand until this time - the last 3 months since I've been juicing.

If you are allergic to certain plant pollens it follows that you can easily react to the raw juices of certain plants. I'm suspecting one or more of the green leafy vegetables which I've been juicing.

I've even read that constantly drinking the same juices can cause an allergy to develop.

Food for thought for all you juicers out there.

Edited by tropo

I want to address a very important consideration: Allergies to vegetable juices.

I've been thinking for a while now that maybe I have an allergy to one or more of the ingredients in my juice concoction.

I've been experiencing a lot of rhinitis since I started juicing. At first I thought it was probably coincidence and pollen from outside has been responsible. I've even been blaming dust from the construction site next door, but I now believe that I'm suffering from an allergy to one of my juice ingredients.

A couple of days ago I was really suffering. It felt like I had a very bad cold - blocked nose, sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose.

I threw out my juice and the next day I made a more simple concoction as I plan to find out what I'm allergic too by the process of elimination. After taking a day off juice and changing it up I had a clear nose yesterday. The only green vegetable I juiced was celery. I eliminated all the weird Thai vegetables.

I have suffered from hay fever most of my life, but I have never had too much of a problem in Thailand until this time - the last 3 months since I've been juicing.

If you are allergic to certain plant pollens it follows that you can easily react to the raw juices of certain plants. I'm suspecting one or more of the green leafy vegetables which I've been juicing.

I've even read that constantly drinking the same juices can cause an allergy to develop.

I am not so sure about drinking the same juice causing an allergy to develop, that is like saying eating the same food will give you an allergy. Of course if you take high levels of stuff instead of normal levels you can cause an allergy.

As for your other remark it seems quite plausible but it might be hard to find out what is bothering you.

OK, this arrived from Korea today. Total VAT and duty came to 1173 baht. The people that sent it put a value of $100 on the waybill.

IMG_20131219_170256_zps5a581f70.jpg

Just made my first glass of raw V8 juice. Not bad at all, and full of good stuff. smile.png

So you paid about 10,300 baht in total. You did well as that model was 12,900 in Central. It has the foam cap on the front of the juice exit tube. That could become a bit of a nuisance if you're juicing lots of green vegetables with threads as it may become clogged.

So you bought it online... and it arrives safely, I cannot find one in Samui, could you please send me the link, it would be kind, so I could buy the same at the same place, I really do miss a good juicer.

Do a search for Hurom juicer on ebay. Make sure you include international sellers. There are several people in Korea selling them.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not so sure about drinking the same juice causing an allergy to develop, that is like saying eating the same food will give you an allergy. Of course if you take high levels of stuff instead of normal levels you can cause an allergy.

As for your other remark it seems quite plausible but it might be hard to find out what is bothering you.

In susceptible people, overdosing on specific foods is the very way that allergies can occur. This is an established fact. One reason is because the histamine level associated with the allergy increases as exposure increases. Think of it as a glass that you're filling up with water. As long as you keep the level below the rim you're ok.... fill too much you have an overflow.

My wife has this problem. When her histamine levels "overflow" she starts reacting to most everything. If she keeps it in check she can handle foods that normally cause problems.

Once I've established that juicing is causing my problem finding out which is the offending vegetable is a relatively easy process of elimination and reintroduction.

In susceptible people, overdosing on specific foods is the very way that allergies can occur. This is an established fact. One reason is because the histamine level associated with the allergy increases as exposure increases. Think of it as a glass that you're filling up with water. As long as you keep the level below the rim you're ok.... fill too much you have an overflow.

My wife has this problem. When her histamine levels "overflow" she starts reacting to most everything. If she keeps it in check she can handle foods that normally cause problems.

Once I've established that juicing is causing my problem finding out which is the offending vegetable is a relatively easy process of elimination and reintroduction.

Yes overdosing.... and susceptible people. Not normal people.

Overdosing is the word we are talking about. I am not using more vegetables then could be eaten on a day.

I am not sure if your process is easy as you have no idea how long it takes for the symptom to appear or ease. If you knew that then it would be easy.

Overdosing is the word we are talking about. I am not using more vegetables then could be eaten on a day.

I am not sure if your process is easy as you have no idea how long it takes for the symptom to appear or ease. If you knew that then it would be easy.

LOL. You're definitely in an argumentative mood today - lets continue....

By susceptible people I'm talking about people (like me, my wife and my whole family) who tend to have allergies, which is a very large group of people. In particular, with vegetable juice I'm talking about people who have plant allergies such as hay fever. The two are related. I read that up to 30% of the US population have allergic rhinitis to some degree. If these people are allergic to seeds/spores/pollen, it's likely they'll also be allergic to the juice of these plants.

We're also talking about raw food, not denatured cooked food. "Overdosing" is a subjective term, but most people who juice would be consuming far more raw juice than they would ever consume by eating raw vegetables. Can you imagine how much raw vegetable matter I would have to consume to equal the 600 ml of juice I consumed the other day? Don't get raw vegetable juice confused with cooked vegetables. Cooking can eliminate allergic reactions in many allergic people. Many people can be allergic to a raw food but can handle it cooked.

The process of elimination is quite easy. Before I had my really bad day (the day before yesterday), I had gone 2 days without juice. There was nothing different about my bad day other than my large consumption of juice containing about 10 ingredients and on this particular day I consumed the juice twice. My symptoms were shocking in their severity.

Food allergies are quite notorious for creating symptoms quickly.

You may not be sure about anything, but I'm feeling confident that I will soon discover the rogue vegetable/s. I already have 3 on my suspect list. One of them is bitter gourd, the others Chinese broccoli and bok choy. Parsley and ginger also need to be tested. I'm clear on all the rest as I've been feeling good the last 2 days on carrot, beetroot, lime, cucumber and celery.

Edited by tropo

LOL. You're definitely in an argumentative mood today - lets continue....

By susceptible people I'm talking about people (like me, my wife and my whole family) who tend to have allergies, which is a very large group of people. In particular, with vegetable juice I'm talking about people who have plant allergies such as hay fever. The two are related. I read that up to 30% of the US population have allergic rhinitis to some degree. If these people are allergic to seeds/spores/pollen, it's likely they'll also be allergic to the juice of these plants.

We're also talking about raw food, not denatured cooked food. "Overdosing" is a subjective term, but most people who juice would be consuming far more raw juice than they would ever consume by eating raw vegetables. Can you imagine how much raw vegetable matter I would have to consume to equal the 600 ml of juice I consumed the other day? Don't get raw vegetable juice confused with cooked vegetables. Cooking can eliminate allergic reactions in many allergic people. Many people can be allergic to a raw food but can handle it cooked.

The process of elimination is quite easy. Before I had my really bad day (the day before yesterday), I had gone 2 days without juice. There was nothing different about my bad day other than my large consumption of juice containing about 10 ingredients and on this particular day I consumed the juice twice. My symptoms were shocking in their severity.

Food allergies are quite notorious for creating symptoms quickly.

You may not be sure about anything, but I'm feeling confident that I will soon discover the rogue vegetable/s. I already have 3 on my suspect list. One of them is bitter gourd, the others Chinese broccoli and bok choy. Parsley and ginger also need to be tested. I'm clear on all the rest as I've been feeling good the last 2 days on carrot, beetroot, lime, cucumber and celery.

Yes I am a bit argumentive, but i get your point also about overdosing. You are right normally i would not eat these amounts of vegetables a day while they are still in the normal range to eat.

Good to hear that it comes on fast (not good that you have it) but that makes it a lot easier to diagnose.

Yes I am a bit argumentive, but i get your point also about overdosing. You are right normally i would not eat these amounts of vegetables a day while they are still in the normal range to eat.

Good to hear that it comes on fast (not good that you have it) but that makes it a lot easier to diagnose.

That is one of the features of food allergies - they tend to come on fast. Some people can notice an immediate swelling in the mouth from drinking juices they're allergic to. Perhaps you're thinking of food intolerances, which can be vague by comparison.

Histamine overdose (intolerance) is proving to be very problematic for my wife because the symptoms can take quite a long time to show - often overnight. In her case itchy hives over parts of her body.

Suffice to say, allergy to vegetable juices can be a problem for many people and something which I had not even considered and which isn't mentioned in many juicing articles or blogs. I think it is important to address this here because people juice to improve health and should be aware that there can be negative sides to it.

Edited by tropo

That is one of the features of food allergies - they tend to come on fast. Some people can notice an immediate swelling in the mouth from drinking juices they're allergic to. Perhaps you're thinking of food intolerances, which can be vague by comparison.

Histamine overdose (intolerance) is proving to be very problematic for my wife because the symptoms can take quite a long time to show - often overnight. In her case itchy hives over parts of her body.

Suffice to say, allergy to vegetable juices can be a problem for many people and something which I had not even considered and which isn't mentioned in many juicing articles or blogs. I think it is important to address this here because people juice to improve health and should be aware that there can be negative sides to it.

Agree about that now.. at first i thought it was a cry wolf thing but you explained it well to me.

Agree about that now.. at first i thought it was a cry wolf thing but you explained it well to me.

Although I definitely got improved energy from juicing, I suspected I may have a problem associated with it way back in September when I started. It was almost a case of sticking my head in the sand because I didn't want to admit that something this good could be bad.... it wasn't until my very severe reaction the other day that I had to face the reality and poured my expensive juice down the sink. I even had to take anti-histamines and cold medication to get through that day.

Although I definitely got improved energy from juicing, I suspected I may have a problem associated with it way back in September when I started. It was almost a case of sticking my head in the sand because I didn't want to admit that something this good could be bad.... it wasn't until my very severe reaction the other day that I had to face the reality and poured my expensive juice down the sink. I even had to take anti-histamines and cold medication to get through that day.

So far I had no ill effects my sinus problem is still the same as before.

My energy levels have been up. So for me no ill effects (noticeable)

This is a great thread, lots of good tips. I have been juicing every morning for two years except during visits to my home country. Back in Europe I always notice a drop in my energy levels. Also, my mood gets down especially during winter visits when there's only few daylight hours.

There’s yet a recent(ish) study to support what we juicers have always known or suspected: increasing your fruit and vegetable intake to 7-8 servings a day boosts your energy and mood and helps you coping stress better up to 48 hours.

(More info of the study http://www.otago.ac.nz/psychology/otago057493.pdf or http://sg.news.yahoo.com/boost-mood-more-fruits-vegetables-143109604.html )

Are you putting any citrus in your juices?

Yes, initially lemons and limes but I've cut out the lemons to reduce cost as the limes are far better value for money. I juice the rind as well.

Yes, initially lemons and limes but I've cut out the lemons to reduce cost as the limes are far better value for money. I juice the rind as well.

It is possible that citrus is the culprit. A lot of people have allergies to citrus.

It is possible that citrus is the culprit. A lot of people have allergies to citrus.

I've been adding lime the last 2 days and felt fine. I've always been good with citrus.

Well the only way to tell is to eliminate different veggies until you find the culprit.

I would keep the juices simpler and just add a couple of veggies to each juice.

That would make it easier.

That's how I'm doing it - but I'm pretty nervous about trying the ones I suspect.

Have you tried adding bee pollen ?

http://www.webmd.com/balance/bee-pollen-benefits-and-side-effects

There is a shop on Theprasit Road , across from the night market and a few doors away from the tennis store

that sells it.

I'm glad you brought this up as I was thinking of giving it a go.

Have you had much benefit from consuming it?