Woman-only taxis may launch in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they explain further, I am sceptical.

In all my years to / in Thailand, I had just 2 female taxi- drivers ever and you are NOT telling me, you make "women only"- taxis with MALE drivers, do you?!

Male drivers would be like giving the keys of the asylum to the inmates. Especially in the realm where most of the perps

committing the rapes are the drivers themselves.

It is a sound idea but it has as much hope of success as an snowflake in he!!, and doomed to be a non-starter.

This proposal has about the same forethought as the majority of programs, suggestions and press releases we have been subjected to over the past 2 years. Where does the talent for the government payroll come from? Is there a hidden valley within the Thai borders composed of a cross between rednecks and gomers, with prolonged interbreeding thrown in?

This is an excellent idea...but it will only be effective and make sense if the DRIVERS of all of these cabs are female as well.

You guys do not know the fear felt by many Thai women taking taxis alone at night...and they're afraid of the drivers.

This is an excellent idea...but it will only be effective and make sense if the DRIVERS of all of these cabs are female as well.

You guys do not know the fear felt by many Thai women taking taxis alone at night...and they're afraid of the drivers.

When is the last time a woman was killed by a samurai waving taxi driver? Yes, I DO understand the fear of women in taxis, but it's not all that much safer for men.

Seems to be mostly men on here saying it's not a good idea. Many Thai women won't travel in taxis on their own, especially at night, because of the perceived danger. If they can call a women-only taxi, then they will fell safer, and that is a good thing. I don't think many men on here realize that it can be quite dangerous for women to travel alone in taxis late at night in some parts of Bangkok.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 2

Yeah, they have all-female train cars in Tokyo. But that's to avoid "chikan" -- groping.

But in BKK, unless they hire all female taxi drivers, I'm not convinced that the current problem of Bangkok taxi drivers putting the moves on female fares will decrease.

you could also screen reliable male taxi driver....

I heard of a male taxi driver who tried to accost a lone female over here one day. Tried pressuring her to go to a hotel

She sms'd ahead and the family beat the shit out of him

He knew what he'd done the moment 8 blokes penned him in and dragged him out of the taxi - wai-ing and "kor todding" furiously

Family even called the police, they took photos and asked if any one wanted compensation from the driver - all declined and they left the scene

That story made me smile

But it is true, all Thai women are wary of being alone in taxis, day or night. Their track record ain't good

How will customers identify them - easy - paint them PINK!

There are already of those. Besides it's about time we stop to associate women with pink. I find it a horrible colour.

Anyway, as a woman I really don't see the point of this... There are taxis everywhere so I wouldn't wait around for a Woman only taxi. And on top of that pay more expensive.

Are the drivers going to be female? Otherwise what is the point? The point of the women only buses is to prevent sexual harassment. Female Tax drivers for only female passengers make sense. It provides a rape-free taxi experience while also protecting the female taxi driver from male passengers.

Once the Tom's figure out they have a captive audience, that idea will be out the window!

I take taxis every week in Bangkok and have never encountered men who aren't helping me with my bags etc., and are usually polite and friendly too. Obviously there is a risk of predators in any demographic group. But you can't live your life in fear because of the 0.001% of people who are predators. The media will report any sex attack that takes place in a taxi, but they will not report the quadrillions of taxi journeys that have occured without incident. I think maybe some women lobbied for taxis that are cleaner and don't smell bad, which is a far more common problem than predatory drivers. But I will always get the first taxi I see, whatever happens is Fate anyway.

My girlfriend was in a taxi about 2 months ago.

The driver locked the doors and only unlocked them, when she gave him her telephone number and agreed to meet with him the following day!

The threat is very real, folks!

But unless the "plan" is fully thought through and on solid ground (female drivers, maybe certain service- points all over town, with free- phones to call a taxi if non is waiting) it makes no sense to talk about it!

By the way: my girlfriend called the taxi-company the next day, to complain.

a) we never heard from them again and b ) my girlfriend knew, that nothing would happen, even before sh called!

Talk about "a plan" and "thinking it through"...coffee1.gif

Its extremely stupid idea. It will not work for conservative muslims (if thats why they want to do it) and higher fares will not be tolerated by female clients. Its not a prada bag, it is taxi for gods sake.

Besides, what if there is a couple? One female, one male, how they'll proceed? What about a monk? Aren't monks have the first priority in some seats in bts/mrt/bus?

Yet another not-tought idea.

Seems to be mostly men on here saying it's not a good idea. Many Thai women won't travel in taxis on their own, especially at night, because of the perceived danger. If they can call a women-only taxi, then they will fell safer, and that is a good thing. I don't think many men on here realize that it can be quite dangerous for women to travel alone in taxis late at night in some parts of Bangkok. 

Finally a sensible answer.

I'd feel at lot happier knowing my gf was taking one of these cabs home after an evening business meeting than any flagged down on the street.

Stupid idea. There are already so many taxis around that it's hard for them to find a customer.

Hard for Taxi drivers to find customers? What planet are you living on?

Usually it is the opposite, it is the customer who has a hard time finding a taxi driver who is willing to drive them.

When is the last time a woman was killed by a samurai waving taxi driver? Yes, I DO understand the fear of women in taxis, but it's not all that much safer for men.

What an utterly ridiculous, facile comparison. You know NOTHING of what Thai women face in Thai society.

You think your fear of "being killed by a samurai taxi driver" comes anywhere close to what Thai women feel getting into a taxi alone at night?

Did you grow up in a society that treats you slightly better than dog feces? Was your first experience of sex(ual violence) being diddled by your uncle or brother or cousin, or raped by a group of boys in the village? This is what it's like for MANY working-class and rural Thai women, who make up a very large percentage of the female population of Bangkok. And since taxis are actually affordable to the working class (not on a daily basis, but once in a while) in Thailand, unlike in the West (at least in the US), women actually take them from time to time.

You are most likely middle class, and live in a country (most countries in the West) where middle class women have more power than you (if you want a taste of this, just wander over to the Thai Visa "Ladies in Thailand" forum and voice an opinion or two, and watch how fast you get jumped on, suspended, or banned). Farang middle class women know NOTHING of oppression or fear from men, and neither do you.

Learn Thai fluently and talk to a few hundred Thai women, get close to them, learn their personal experiences, and you'll think twice about making such a ridiculous statement.

Yeah, they have all-female train cars in Tokyo. But that's to avoid "chikan" -- groping.

Groping is a VERY serious problem on Bangkok buses and, to a lesser extent, the Skytrain as well. I have a close Thai friend who is 47 and, as she would be the first to admit, no "beauty queen"...yet she is REGULARLY groped on buses and sometimes the Skytrain as well. If she's targeted, can you imagine what it's like for young, attractive women?! Women-only buses and Skytrain cars is an EXCELLENT idea.

OMG! shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png When I first read the title I thought to myself well maybe this is a good idea because people will maybe feel safer and more confident with a woman taxi-driver as far as driving, rules of the road, safety, knowledge, being personable, not intimidating and of course not bearing the mandatory 2 foot steel plated sword as standard equipment. Then I read the article and they are referring to the PASSENGERS!!!!crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I think they got this all wrong. Now if there was a number where I could call and get a female driver REGARDLESS if they spoke no english, had no knowledge of Bangkok and I had to pay more, I WOULD!!! Rather than take my chances on some unfriendly, unsafe, armed with a weapon, high on a substance, awake for 24hour male driver...

Once upon a time, there were "Whites only" seats.

In modern times, they want "Women only" seats.

The haters are back. Together with insecure "white knights".

Fortunately, this nonsense is originated from Western feminist NGOs and I don't believe it will ever be taken serious in Thailand.

you could also screen reliable male taxi driver....

You could, and here is the screening process.

Screener: "I see in your papers you have a record of rape?"

Taxi driver: "Yes, but I also have 500 baht for you!"

Screener: "Approved, but be gentle with the ladies :-)"

Finally a sensible answer.

I'd feel at lot happier knowing my gf was taking one of these cabs home after an evening business meeting than any flagged down on the street.

Ahh, love evening business meetings. I bow to whoever came up with that idea :-)