Riding in the back of the Pick-Up ... lunacy or practical reality?

David48

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't allow anyone to ride in the back of my ute, I read through the insurance information, according to the insurance if anyone is riding in the back of the vehicle and the car is involved in an accident, the insurance won't pay.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think its a totally insane practice. Yeah sure its the law to have seat belts on in the front seats but if you sit in the back..........NO PROBLEM.

please note that the video is disturbing. This is what happens when things go south! http://youtu.be/vTQqrAi_jbs

But Carl64 ... a question for you.

If you don't have other practical alternative ... what would you do?

Edited by David48

Last time I was back in Singapore, they had limits posted on each vehicle regarding the number of people allowed to be carried in the back of the truck.

SC

EDIT: When I was a young lad I used to ride to school sitting on the wheel arch of an estate Renault 4 panel van. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, but not deemed unreasonable 35 years ago. I'm not in a position to do the cost benefit analysis to make an objective recommendation on what should be allowed and not.

True. And in Singapore, like Thailand, passengers in the 'cab' are required to wear seat-belts, but there's no such requirement for people (usually foreign workers) riding in the back... Have been some nasty accidents as a result.

Very well said - Amazing how those who like to ride in the back of trucks or without helmets on motorcycles quote freedom - yet the taxpayers quite often have to pay for their hospital care - which sadly is needed quite often.

Yes, it is amazing to me that taxpayers are required to pay for anyone's hospital care. People should have the freedom to be careless about their safety, as long as it does not create a hazard to others. Along with that freedom, they should have the responsibility for the consequences of their carelessness, not the taxpayer.

FredLee ... I can see your point, but, adapting that logic do we deny ...

Healthcare to smokers with cancer

Drinkers with liver failure

AIDS suffers

Rehab for drug takers

The list is near endless

I'm not unsympathetic to your argument ... but where is the line drawn in the sand?

I think its a totally insane practice. Yeah sure its the law to have seat belts on in the front seats but if you sit in the back..........NO PROBLEM.

please note that the video is disturbing. This is what happens when things go south! http://youtu.be/vTQqrAi_jbs

But Carl64 ... a question for you.

If you don't have other practical alternative ... what would you do?

Whilst this practice is legal there never will be a practical alternative. that's the problem!

Edited by Tywais
Fixed quote

You mean this one?

Humm ... now I see you've found this.

On behalf of this thread, I would like to absolve myself that this is not a typical Ambulance journey.

Where did they get that stretcher from?

Edited by David48

And added danger but an acceptable one in the right circumstances, in my view. The right circumstances being a 3 or 4 people going a few miles down a quiet road on a sunny day. When I see 20 people crammed into the back of an ancient truck with bald tyres and the front wheels off the ground piling down the motorway, then it's just stupid.

The latter is no more stupid than the former, it is just that you have the possible outcome of up to 20 people dead or 3 - 4

100 meters is no safer than 500 kilometres it is only the odds / or likelihood have changed.

Why do you think the practice is banned in all civilized 1st world countries? (and there is no crap of a THB 200 fine or equivalent)

And in the realm add in the increased risk due to the fact Thais cannot drive "safely" for shyt.

But go ahead because I don't really give a shyt anyway / either way. coffee1.gif

Edited by johnlandy

Like my wife being saved from serious injury while wearing her crash-helmet, it only hits home when you see the effects of it.

My (step) brother-in-law's wife is permanently paralyzed. She was the most seriously injured of 4 people in the back of a truck which left the road in Doi Inthanon.

When will an accident affect you? Obviously reckless motorcyclists and pick-up passengers know.

Being on any form of transport in Thailand is dangerous enough, without asking for trouble.

Thanks for that ... but, as a point of netiquette, might have been nice if you acknowledged Morden who posted that yesterday here.

Just looking at that truck, it either suffered a severe mechanical failure, but I saw that as the driver hooning a bit ... with disastrous consequences.

thats what happen when a vehicle is rear heavy, just a slight turn or a bump the rear will lose traction, and the fish tail begins

"A third class ride beats a first class walk." I beg to differ. Although I still am at risk from drivers, since sidewalks are "secondary roads" here. Walking is good for health and clearing mind, two things missing from third class rides I would suspect.

I used to visit Thailand on a regular basis for business from 2002 to 2008.

Used to amaze me about the numbers of people sitting in the back on the pick ups.

I even saw a girl dancing on the back gate of a " pick up " bus once. We were on the way back from the Eastern Seaboard Estate, and were doing about 120 km/hour or so, and this girl was dancing . Hate to see what would have happened if the hinges and straps broke.

"Similiarly like the 4 or sometimes more on a motorcycle. Great until something happens.

The pick ups Ive seem with planks across the back forming rows of seating for building workers, front wheels barely on the ground , ridiculous, and when you see one that has been in an accident with bodies strewn all over the carriageway the reality and stupidity hits.

Probably natural progression from all being loaded on the farmers type trailer, big difference is the pick ups can go much faster and not so easy to stop with that weight on them.

In todays modern world I think its total stupidity, but can understand the necessity for many."
Very well said - Amazing how those who like to ride in the back of trucks or without helmets on motorcycles quote freedom - yet the taxpayers quite often have to pay for their hospital care - which sadly is needed quite often.
Although I can undertsand how at times those who can't afford a safe car simply must take unsafe transportation - sad but life...

Yes, it is amazing to me that taxpayers are required to pay for anyone's hospital care. People should have the freedom to be careless about their safety, as long as it does not create a hazard to others. Along with that freedom, they should have the responsibility for the consequences of their carelessness, not the taxpayer.

Happens the world over. Many times people have accident insurance and the government does not need to pay for it. I do not drive but I have accident insurance that would cover me cheap to get.

Last time I was back in Singapore, they had limits posted on each vehicle regarding the number of people allowed to be carried in the back of the truck.

SC

EDIT: When I was a young lad I used to ride to school sitting on the wheel arch of an estate Renault 4 panel van. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, but not deemed unreasonable 35 years ago. I'm not in a position to do the cost benefit analysis to make an objective recommendation on what should be allowed and not.

True. And in Singapore, like Thailand, passengers in the 'cab' are required to wear seat-belts, but there's no such requirement for people (usually foreign workers) riding in the back... Have been some nasty accidents as a result.

This whole thread is based on the fact that Thailand is not a nanny state and people are advocating for it to be one. If it is would they still live here. That of course does not apply to people forced to work here by their foreign employer.

When considering the answer to that question stop and think could you afford to. I could but I would get out any how. If I want the government to hold my hand I can go back to where I come from I can afford that. Taking responsibility for my self is a good feeling for me.

I have noticed that out of 55 posts only two have seen an accident with riders in the back of the truck.

Edited by hellodolly

As a kid growing up in semi-rural New York State I often rode in the back of pick-ups.

Then things changed and it became illegal.

Then things changed again and I moved to Thailand.

I hope I don't see any more changes.

Good point. Growing up in Australia in the 60s and 70s I remember it was common for people to ride in the back of a "ute", wearing seatbelts was not compulsory, and driving drunk was only a problem if you caused an accident. As with so many other areas of development, critics of Thailand and other developing countries often overlook the fact that processes and attitudes took a very long time to evolve in the west.

The funniest (Or most dangerous) passengers I have seen were in Kandahar, AFGHANISTAN. Picture early night time and the main road leading out of the city. Big smoke belching truck was coming towards us, it was obviously quite old and had large bumpers (Fenders) up front. The headlights didnt work as was obvious by one of the passengers sitting on the front bumper with a very dim torch. He wasnt the only passenger sitting there...there were about 4 of them and the truck wasnt going slow.

I have no idea how they would manage to stay on the bumper if the driver suddenly applied the brakes....scary thought really.

But getting back to the original topic, I concur with most of the replies. Necessity is the mother of invention and I just pray that the driver has the sense and driving skills to keep those on the back safe.

FredLee ... I can see your point, but, adapting that logic do we deny ...

Healthcare to smokers with cancer

Drinkers with liver failure

AIDS suffers

Rehab for drug takers

The list is near endless

I'm not unsympathetic to your argument ... but where is the line drawn in the sand?

David, I did not recommend or mention denying health care to anyone. I merely make the point that along with freedom comes personal responsibility. A lessening of either diminishes the other.