Thai Talk: BAD HABITS that keep us underdeveloped

webfact

Good habits. Thais are always above board in their personal and business dealings. Their word is their bond. Charitable giving by the Thai rich is massive and publicly known. Thais take so much responsibility for their actions and behavior it makes others feel inferior. Thais never expect anything special or to be treated differently. Thai respect for law and rules of the road is amazing. Thais work very diligently , always deliver on promise, and know and understand the concept of achievement. Thais respect others in every endeavor especially the poor and foreign persons. Thais are extremely knowledgable and well read. Thais hold personal character and morality in very high esteem and would never sell out.

Great satirical post and I agree with your general reverse sentiment.

But honestly, I look at my country and I see exactly the same shortcomings. I look at other countries in the west and I also see the same shortcomings.

Your post is similar to the Aussie v Kiwi joke, or the English v Wales joke where the punch line can be altered to deride either nationality depending upon the teller of the joke.

The western world has largely gone to hell in a handcart and ethics and morals died in the 60's and 70's.

Read Noitom's post again and insert YOUR COUNTRY'S name - see if you really think we are any better in the west, or are we really that smug that we think our own societies are utopia compared to Thai society. coffee1.gif

Nowhere is a utopia. The question is how much effort does society want to make a bit of introspection and genuine self criticism? For hell's sake, Cameron just stood up yesterday and said that NO ONE under the age of 25 is going to be on the dole or claiming housing benefit. Strewth. If that doesn't shake things up, nothing will.

The issue is setting out where you want to be and trying to get there. Thailand doesn't really know where it wants to to, or how to get there, or care whether it arrives, as long as a few people get a bit richer on the way.

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You read what the Man said......'The list hasn't attracted much attention on Facebook as yet'..... it won't because Thai's like things the way they are and will read it and delete rather than comment with anything positive. It's not a subject they would even bring up in conversation with friends or family as they are generally brainwashed 'into the system' from when they are very small children.

Thailand does not have corruption. Thailand has "boon khun"

why is everyone so pissed off at thai's why did you even come to thailand in the first place ????? falangs are not perfect ..... typical falangs think there better than everybody else thailand is getting fuller and fuller of these d@#kheads with there exagerated opinions.

Bad behavior and unprofessional ethics start from the top

I find this true with many thai's in Tourist Area's. I live way in the sticks with the nearest farang living 15 killometers from me. I find the thai people to be honest,helpful and extreamly nice people.

problem is half these guys on here wont make it out of pattya or patong and couldnt see the nicer side of thailand if it socked them in there mouth and booted em in the ass.

Edited by jackandjim

Bad behavior and unprofessional ethics start from the top

I find this true with many thai's in Tourist Area's. I live way in the sticks with the nearest farang living 15 killometers from me. I find the thai people to be honest,helpful and extreamly nice people.

problem is half these guys on here wont make it out of pattya or patong and couldnt see the nicer side of thailand if it socked them in there mouth and booted em in the ass.

Problem is, that a Thai wrote the article....

• Like 2

Good habits. Thais are always above board in their personal and business dealings. Their word is their bond. Charitable giving by the Thai rich is massive and publicly known. Thais take so much responsibility for their actions and behavior it makes others feel inferior. Thais never expect anything special or to be treated differently. Thai respect for law and rules of the road is amazing. Thais work very diligently , always deliver on promise, and know and understand the concept of achievement. Thais respect others in every endeavor especially the poor and foreign persons. Thais are extremely knowledgable and well read. Thais hold personal character and morality in very high esteem and would never sell out.

blink.png

I can't imagine anybody in any country wanting to be told that what they are doing is wrong and should be changed.

If everything seems to be muddling along, it would be an effort to make someone who wants to improve, to change.

The top-down seems to be the answer, especially education. A system which churns out the same non-thinking, robotic yes-men, year after year, will not make Thailand better.

So, it would take at least 20 years for a new Thailand to even start to get better. That assumes a massive change of priorities NOW.

Thailand doesn't appear to be governed for Thais. If the powers-that-be see no benefit to themselves it won't change. There won't be a ground-swell of support for change, because the population are brain-washed into not thinking that anything needs to change.

You feel like grabbing them by the shoulders and shaking some sense into them!

Won't happen. Any positive change will only happen if Thais move abroad. Instead of non-Thais wanting to improve their Thai families lot on the back of a new Thailand, they will have to take them away from their country and culture, to a massively different way of living.

Do we have the right to expect that?

Thailand won't change for generations.

Well done. I wish I could agree with any of it.

If your tongue goes any further into your cheek you will need a surgeon to remove it!

Well done. I wish I could agree with any of it.

If your tongue goes any further into your cheek you will need a surgeon to remove it!

Can't you see sincerity when it's staring you in the face?
  • Like 1

Absolutely brilliant reply,and well deserving of so many likes.I take it your not being serious?Haha.

Coups and a refusal to accept the Thai people's will, would be up there as habits that keep the country underdeveloped. While opportunity is mostly only allowed to a small group human capital (to use a vile expression) is greatly underutilized resulting in underdevelopment.

• Like 1

Why should they change or do anything about it?

Seems to me most expats living in Thailand want to change the Thais and Thailand to be more like people and country they left behind, the same country and people they continually complain about...

Concur. The new, lazy man's version of journalism. Facebook, Twitter etc. (Anti) Social Media seems to be running the show in the world right now.

Buddha help us.

Doesn't say much for many of their neighbours in the region then.

Edited by cpofc

why is everyone so pissed off at thai's why did you even come to thailand in the first place ????? falangs are not perfect ..... typical falangs think there better than everybody else thailand is getting fuller and fuller of these d@#kheads with there exagerated opinions.

I question your viewpoint as I have not seen any 'angry' posts. Is it 'kind' to politely ignore bad behavior? As for Farangs feeling superior, the Thais have us beat, three ways to Sunday, in their thinking that Thailand is the center of the Universe and in their pride of being Thai. There is nothing wrong with that but your condemnation of Farangs is not justified; especially, for the fact that you think you are better than us because you lecture us on our attitudes.

p.s. thanks for calling us 'd@#kheads' : another example of you superior-to-us attitude and maybe even an 'exaggerated opinion'.

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

Many people complain that foreigners think they are better or are wrong to comment about issues in Thailand because it is not their country. I say that is cobblers. Sure the Thais don't like being told they are doing something stupid, or things would be better another way and I am sure many people would feel similarly if the roles were reversed.

However I believe the Thais are a long way behind in many things and I think it is right to comment on it and try to change things for the better through discussions with others and examination of different opinions. I think the West is also a long way behind the Thais in some things too, politeness in relationships, respect for the family elders and supporting one another in the family for example.

I don't think they can offer anything about how to educate their children, national financial economics or anything that requires high level knowledge.

My children grow up in this society and I think I have a right to want it to be better and to say so. I would like to see some of the obviously better systems of government and law, education and maybe morals in business of the western nations, learnt from and improved here through open minded implementation. If wanting Thailand to improve is a bad thing then that is a very twisted point of view to adopt.

morals in business of the Western Nations?

you're a comedian, right?

Many people complain that foreigners think they are better or are wrong to comment about issues in Thailand because it is not their country. I say that is cobblers. Sure the Thais don't like being told they are doing something stupid, or things would be better another way and I am sure many people would feel similarly if the roles were reversed.

However I believe the Thais are a long way behind in many things and I think it is right to comment on it and try to change things for the better through discussions with others and examination of different opinions. I think the West is also a long way behind the Thais in some things too, politeness in relationships, respect for the family elders and supporting one another in the family for example.

I don't think they can offer anything about how to educate their children, national financial economics or anything that requires high level knowledge.

My children grow up in this society and I think I have a right to want it to be better and to say so. I would like to see some of the obviously better systems of government and law, education and maybe morals in business of the western nations, learnt from and improved here through open minded implementation. If wanting Thailand to improve is a bad thing then that is a very twisted point of view to adopt.

Don't need morals for business, just laws.

• Like 1

Someone posted among these comments, "Thais never expect anything special or to be treated differently." Tell that to any cyclist run off the road by a spoiled 'hi-so' Thai teenager in daddy's BMW! Lesson here: never say never!

Inconsiderate roadside manner isn't limited to the realm of the rich. As a wise friend recently quipped, "Thais aren't half as friendly as they think they are...or they wouldn't drive the way they do." I suspect large chunks of the legendary Thai hospitality may have been supplanted by prosperity.

As for the issue of patronage, while it comes with the benefit of stability, this is vastly more beneficial to the 'haves'. The current system ensures they retain the lion's share of wealth and power. Meritocracy would be a better way forward for Thai society in general. After all, if there is no incentive for self improvement then who would bother?

Edited by SteveCNX

Dont try telling that to that nutter Stephen B Young and his lunatic organization. Bet he will be rearing his arrogant ugly head again soon to tell the Thai people what to do

Dont try telling that to that nutter Stephen B Young and his lunatic organization. Bet he will be rearing his arrogant ugly head again soon to tell the Thai people what to do

You can't force people to be moral, but you can sure as hell get them and businesses to comply with laws. Just look at the problem Cameron is having getting companies to pay their corporation tax in a moral manner.

The executives aren't evil, it's just that the laws won't allow them to give a penny away that they shouldn't.

Once I had a conversation during the bad floodings 2 years ago. I expressed my vision about Thais being so incredibly stubborn and therefore blind for the knowledge and skills of others. Thais always know better, by definition. My opinion wasn't much appreciated. Thais aren't realistic. Thailand is perfect, Thailand doesn't make mistakes. And Thais typically don't want to hear you say anything different. Just don't think outside the box please. Thai people should start learning from others just like everyone else. But until they overcome there somewhat hidden xenophobia things will never change.

Self reflection also doesn't exist in the Thai language I think. Some things are so much taboo that I almost don't even dare to think about them. Of course I'm referring to an important sticky post on this forum. Some holy images have yet to be shattered before things really change. It has to be possible to be politically entirely incorrect for a democracy to become truly effective. Thailand still has a long road ahead.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

perhaps the thais could start a learning institution to rival Harvard for foreigner who want to understand thai business economics.

thai business economics 101: The absolute importance of killing the golden goose.

your lecturer being none other than the most esteemed seconded lecturer available Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong (ref. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/675270-public-health-ministry-to-ask-thai-govt-to-collect-entry-fees-from-foreigners/ )

• Like 1

Don't worry I am sure right now at the Pantip forum Thais are resolving this matter....

[takes a look at Pantip forum]

post-60541-0-90270800-1382547113_thumb.j

"USS Enterprise of Star Trek does not need to enter earth's orbit, right?" [the hot topic right now]

...Oh, never mind.

The whole article is based on Western wants and customs. It is basically saying destroy every thing that is good in Thailand and be rich forget your families values. It even mentioned being a super power.. Good idea if the Republicans get back in Thailand could join them in there wars to bring freedom and Democracy to the world.36_12_4.gif

The whole article is based on Western wants and customs. It is basically saying destroy every thing that is good in Thailand and be rich forget your families values. It even mentioned being a super power.. Good idea if the Republicans get back in Thailand could join them in there wars to bring freedom and Democracy to the world.Posted Image

The number 1 priority in Thailand is money, or more importantly, how to get more of it. KT shows how you can never have too much money, he still wants more.

Behind that in priority are traditional Thai values. One of those relates to the positive aspects of the importance of families. Imagine my surprise when I realized that an important part of this is the financial support of elders when they can/will no longer work. The completion of automaton training, sorry Thai education, is to equip the next generation to finance the last. There is no concept of people assuming responsibility for themselves.

So, what are these glowing family values which Thailand has? Waiing parents? What are the Thai customs which must be preserved? Thailand deserves to be Thailand rather than a Western clone, but I can think of more negative aspects than positive.

What am I doing here then? Christ knows. Probably the importance I place on my family, trying unsuccessfully to understand WHY things are. Why for instance school kids need their names on uniforms.

Money is everything. Go to Pattaya, go to CM, the common aspect is money.

This is my belief.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

2 things that are to me not so good, that you said we could learn from, "Supporting one another in the family" mmmnnn,

In most cases the boy and girl after school are compelled to (send a large % of money that they earn working) to mother and father in repayment for their schooling over the years, this is common in rural areas.

The amount of stealing from family members is alarming, borrowing and never paying back. The family bond tends to be from mother father-grand parents there you can see support. Exploitation of kids by parents in rural areas. NOT ALL but majority.