Events to mark Patriarch's 100th birthday

webfact

Events to mark Patriarch's 100th birthday
Pakamas Jaichalard
The Nation

30216154-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Several ceremonies will be held in Bangkok to mark the Supreme Patriarch's 100 birthday today.

At 10.30am, HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn will attend a merit-making ceremony on behalf of His Majesty to celebrate Supreme Patriarch His Holiness Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara's centenary at Wat Bovornnives Vihara.

At 3pm, the Princess will go to Chulalongkorn Hospital to preside over a charity event to sponsor medical equipment. She will then attend another merit-making ceremony at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha at 5.30pm.

Phra Anil Sakya, an assistant secretary to the Supreme Patriarch, said a total of 278 representatives of the World Fellowship of Buddhists visited Wat Bovornnives Vihara to sign their best wishes on the occasion of his 100th birthday.

Also hundreds of people yesterday lined up to sign the book at the temply from early morning. Many visited important buildings of the temple, and there were dozens of booths offering free food at the temple.

The visitors came from 35 countries including China, India, Indonesia, South Korea, the United States, Germany, Nepal, Japan and Australia.

Phra Kru Sanghasitthikorn, a director of the Supreme Patriarch's Secretariat, said that since Tuesday, thousands of people have visited the 4D exhibition at Mahamakut Buddhist University related to the Supreme Patriarch's life.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-03

Special Report: Thailand Supreme Patriach turns 100

BANGKOK: In celebration of Supreme Patriarch His Holiness Somdej Phra Nyanasamvara' s 100th birthday anniversary on October 3rd, 2013, a seven-day celebration will be held at Wat Bovoranives to mark this auspicious occasion.

On this auspicious occasion, Wat Bovoranives, Bangkok, which is also the residence of the Supreme Patriarch, will be holding a seven-day celebration beginning from October 3.

During the 7 days many activities will be held, such as a 4-dimension exhibition on the life and work of his holiness, a display of his diaries and writings, merit making ceremonies and a series of sermons.

His Holiness Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara, the Supreme Patriarch of the Thailand (Suvaddhana Mahathera), whose name at birth was Charoen Gajavatra, was born in Kanchanaburi Province, on October 3,1913. His Holiness was ordained as a novice at Wat Devasangharam in Kanchanaburi when he was 14 years old. He enrolled for Dhamma study at Wat Bovoranives Vihara until he reached the minimum age required in order to be ordained as a monk. His Holiness was ordained as a full-fledged Buddhist monk at Wat Bovoranives Vihara by His Holiness Prince Kromma Luang Vajiranyanavamsa on February 15, 1933, and stayed there until he passed the ninth grade, the highest level of Pali study as constituted by the Thai Sangha in 1941.

His Holiness has served as the Supreme Patriarch since 1989. A highly studious person, he has always had the habit of acquiring new knowledge, especially languages. His self-study methods include reading English newspapers, listening to BBC English broadcasts, and reading English books on Buddhism. Besides English, His Holiness has also studied German and French and learned Chinese. He is the first Supreme Patriarch who did not come from a royal lineage.

His Holiness Somdej Phra Nyanasamvara, the Supreme Patriarch, turned 100 on October 3rd, 2013 and is also considered the longest living Supreme Patriarch in the Thai history. Recognized as one of the most important Buddhist scholars of our time, His Holiness the Supreme Patriarch has greatly contributed to the of the Buddhist education, administration, teaching, and dissemination.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-03 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Good news and happy birthday to the Supreme Patriarch. I had the good fortune to attend the 49th day of morning at the Thai Temple in Wimbledon UK for his deputy Somdet Phra Buddhacarya who had been acting Supreme Patriarch for a number of years. 4 monks had come over from Thailand who were learned in the royal mourning chant that is reserved only for members of the Royal Family and very senior monks. A most moving service and a deep tragic elegant chant that rips at the heart and articulates grief in a most poignant way and was extremely moving.

That said the upper echelons of Thai Buddhism are not without controversy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somdet_Kiaw

Edited by beautifulthailand99

Well its going to difficult for the flamers and the cynics to have a go at this piece of news.

Happy birthday to you.

I applaud your sentiments, but as you can see, it is difficult for some people to simply say something nice without sticking in an unnecessary and irrelevant jibe.

""That said the upper echelons of Thai Buddhism are not without controversy."

Good news and happy birthday to the Supreme Patriarch. I had the good fortune to attend the 49th day of morning at the Thai Temple in Wimbledon UK for his deputy Somdet Phra Buddhacarya who had been acting Supreme Patriarch for a number of years. 4 monks had come over from Thailand who were learned in the royal mourning chant that is reserved only for members of the Royal Family and very senior monks. A most moving service and a deep tragic elegant chant that rips at the heart and articulates grief in a most poignant way and was extremely moving.

Edited by Suradit69

Well its going to difficult for the flamers and the cynics to have a go at this piece of news.

Happy birthday to you.

I applaud your sentiments, but as you can see, it is difficult for some people to simply say something nice without sticking in an unnecessary and irrelevant jibe.

I was being diplomatic and sincere with my best wishes - but it is apparent to any that have eyes to see that much of Thai Buddhism has somewhat lost it's way. - though with many inspiring and notable exceptions, Buddhists are right to ask questions of those who profess to lead and seek moral guidance and inspiration from their practice and example. Sadly the Supreme Patriarch has been out of the driving seat for many years now owing to ill health and this cannot have been helpful and now the acting Supreme Patriarch is dead it is time for the Elders to take stock. Unquestioning authority may be the Thai way but it is not one that we falangs find easy or useful. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend of distract from his ripe old birthday

poor paraphrase of part of the Buddha’s teaching to the Kalamas, which runs like this

…don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering’ — then you should abandon them.

• Like 1

Happy birthday to you.

That particular example was a relatively mild matter of disagreement over governing the bureaucracy. There have been other, more serious rifts at this level that occurred earlier in the history of the office. Out of respect for this anniversary occasion, it is probably best not to dredge them up here .

I was fortunate enough to study meditation with Phra Somdet Phra Ariyavongsagatanana (Vasana Nilprapha) at Wat Bowinniwet the first year I was in Thailand. My lasting impression is that one doesn't reach the position of Supreme Patriarch without hard-sought spiritual accomplishments, nor without some envy or controversy along the way.

• Like 2