Thai Disease Control Dept promises enforcement of law to curb new drinkers

webfact

Disease Control Department promises enforcement of law to curb new drinkers

BANGKOK, 3 October 2013 (NNT) – The Department of Disease Control has asserted it will strictly enforce available laws to curb the sale of alcohol around universities, to help reduce the number of new drinkers.

Around 30 members of alcoholic drinks monitoring groups and student groups on Wednesday met with the Disease Control Department chief to hand over information the networks have compiled regarding alcohol sales around campuses.

The networks called for measures to be issued to ban alcohol sale in a 300 meters radius around campuses, a proposal scaled down from the networks' earlier call for a 500 meters radius.

The activists also called for stricter enforcement of the alcoholic beverage control law.

Furthermore, the networks lobbied the Disease Control Department to consider banning the use of celebrities and athletes to present alcoholic beverages, whether directly or indirectly.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-03 footer_n.gif

Ye Gods, Thailand is fast becoming a true "nanny state"!

We already have the ridiculous afternoon prohibition allegedly to stop schoolchildren from buying booze on their way home - a law that is totally ignored by every mum-and-pop shop - now this new proposal. What this has to do with the Disease Control Dept. I don't know, just another bunch of self serving do-gooders determined to spead misery all round!

• Like 2

Quote: The activists also called for stricter enforcement of the alcoholic beverage control law.

How do you enforce the utterly unenforceable?

Quote: Furthermore, the networks lobbied the Disease Control Department to consider banning the use of celebrities and athletes to present alcoholic beverages, whether directly or indirectly.

So which is it to be then, money, or business ethics and corporate social responsibility?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle so to speak, so limiting access and harm prevention are all that is left.The proposal offered may seem laughable to the ill informed, but I dont see any of the critics offering a viable alternative. Hope this idea catches on. If it prevents or at least delays some of the misery of addiction then I applaud the initiative.

In a country where it is law for all their people to carry identity cards, why do they not impose this law if in doubt of the person buying alcohol? No ID, no sale!

You never know, maybe this idea will catch on in other countries scattered around the world.......................rolleyes.gif

To me, the trouble with developing countries, with increasing middle class 'heros' is the number of half thought out ideas on how to correct the issue.

The sale of alcohol to minors a perfect example of this. Instead of using laws already in place, why not disrupt the population of legal users/buyers and introduce a new law with sales restriction times on cigarettes & alcohol aimed at school kids who should be in school during the restricted periods anyway? This to me presents a lovely picture to all visitors to their country who are here to enjoy themselves.

This apparently makes a lot of sense to the people living in their ivory towers with no idea of what really happens on the street...............thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

In a country where it is law for all their people to carry identity cards, why do they not impose this law if in doubt of the person buying alcohol? No ID, no sale!

You never know, maybe this idea will catch on in other countries scattered around the world.......................rolleyes.gif

To me, the trouble with developing countries, with increasing middle class 'heros' is the number of half thought out ideas on how to correct the issue.

The sale of alcohol to minors a perfect example of this. Instead of using laws already in place, why not disrupt the population of legal users/buyers and introduce a new law with sales restriction times on cigarettes & alcohol aimed at school kids who should be in school during the restricted periods anyway? This to me presents a lovely picture to all visitors to their country who are here to enjoy themselves.

This apparently makes a lot of sense to the people living in their ivory towers with no idea of what really happens on the street...............thumbsup.gif

The idea are half thought out because they are genuinely half witted.

Truly pathetic, these so called exclusion zones are useless. Who's going to say to themselves......"well, I can't get a drink within 300 minutes of the campus so that's it, I'll never touch a drop of alcohol".

Idiotic.

This is as ridiculous as the ' permitted hours ' to buy from shops etc. and in my part of Isan the ban on bars and restaurants from displaying anything advertising alcohol as it may be seen by children, as if they don't see it at home, on the football shirts they wear, on TV coverage of sporting events etc.

Convincing celebrities and athletes not to advertise drink is one thing but what of alcohol companies who are amongst the biggest sponsors of sporting events and what better example than the recent successful World Volleyball Championships won by Thailand where every second advertising banner and board was for Chang beer ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle so to speak, so limiting access and harm prevention are all that is left.The proposal offered may seem laughable to the ill informed, but I dont see any of the critics offering a viable alternative. Hope this idea catches on. If it prevents or at least delays some of the misery of addiction then I applaud the initiative.

Well how about trying something that will actually work. Such as education.

How about a health campain using public service messages on TV and Radio 24/7/365. And let's put all those oversized obnoxious outdoor TVs to use in the campain too.

But to work it must be continuous. All day, every day. For YEARS. No two week campain. Those never work and are a total waste of money. The state should be raking in plenty of tax money from the tobacco monopoly to fund this.

Could even take this one step further, and use the taxes on alcohol to fund a similar campain against the use (over use) of alcohol, especially when driving..

But I won't hold my breath hoping a real solution will be tried. The quick knee jerk fixes that do not work seem prefered.

BANGKOK, 3 October 2013 (NNT) – The Department of Disease Control has asserted it will strictly enforce available laws to curb the sale of alcohol around universities, to help reduce the number of new drinkers.

I think it's a great idea, not the student drinking part, the part where it says they're going to enforce a law, it will be a novelty.

• Like 1

300 meter....I think there will be no way a student can overcome a 300 meter distance....no way....it is simply too far for humans....

it must be something like 30 seconds with the motorbike

• Like 1

Bring on prohibition I say.

• Like 1

You never know, maybe this idea will catch on in other countries scattered around the world.......................rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

This apparently makes a lot of sense to the people living in their ivory towers with no idea of what really happens on the street...............thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

The idea are half thought out because they are genuinely half witted.

smile.png

This has to be some kind of joke, I always see kids 14 or so buying alcohol in 7/11's, the staff just give it to them no questions asked. If they are serious about this it might pay to set up a legal age for buying it for a start, getting the police to actually do their job instead of sitting in their airconditioned office drinking would help too. It makes it hard when you see 14 y/o's buying grog then getting on motorbikes and riding off, parents need to be brought into this as well, they dont care what their kids do and even promote them breaking the law. This country has its brains in the toilet as far as kids are concerned, parents and the police dont give a sh*t what they do, moving grog 300 mtrs away wont do bugger all, policing is the only way to go and the parents need to be charged as well, maybe when they realize they are going to have to pay the fines etc we will see something happen but I doubt it, no one has the balls to do what is right.

100, 200, 300 meters all same really, won't change a thing.

Enforce the current laws and perhaps make a few adjustments.

1. Drunk driving make it tough on offenders, 10k baht, loose license for a year. Monkey house for repeat offenders.

2. Stop all sell after 2:00am, bars, clubs, 7/11 etc.

3. Check ID for legal age of 20

4. Perhaps limit TV advertisement show times.

Enough already !

Ye Gods, Thailand is fast becoming a true "nanny state"!

We already have the ridiculous afternoon prohibition allegedly to stop schoolchildren from buying booze on their way home - a law that is totally ignored by every mum-and-pop shop - now this new proposal. What this has to do with the Disease Control Dept. I don't know, just another bunch of self serving do-gooders determined to spead misery all round!

Make that a NINNY state. sad.png

Sometimes I feel this really is Groundhog Day and the date is April 1st. w00t.gif

• Like 2

Truly pathetic, these so called exclusion zones are useless. Who's going to say to themselves......"well, I can't get a drink within 300 minutes of the campus so that's it, Ill never touch a drop of alcohol".

Idiotic.

With 300 minutes exclusion zones, a few students might actually give up drinking!! rolleyes.gif

Certainly would stop me.

Does this been our beautiful Thailand National Volleyball (ASIAN CHAMPS 2013!) are going to have to stop wearing those Chang Shirts? Their fan base is predominantly very young.

The hypocrisy is palpable.

i sure those Chang shirts are advertising Chang WATER

Does this been our beautiful Thailand National Volleyball (ASIAN CHAMPS 2013!) are going to have to stop wearing those Chang Shirts? Their fan base is predominantly very young.

The hypocrisy is palpable.

i sure those Chang shirts are advertising Chang WATER

I am sure the Marlboro Water brand wouldn't be allowed, now would it.....The hypocrisy is still palpable

• Like 1

Bring on prohibition I say.

yeah like we haven't seen before how that will work out.... make prices ridiculously high so they just cant afford it might work

Edited by jviersel

I always thought that SIAM was translated as land of the free ?

Start to sound a bit like that other country that claims to be a symbol of freedom,

That would be free in a Thai context. A bit like Thai democracy, or Thai government or Thai police.

The reality is far removed from the perception.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it won't prevent or delay anything. History has shown that prohibition doesn't work - look at the failed war on drugs and prohibition in the US.

What you need is education, and a society that actually offers hope - but hey, one can dream!

Yeah, but it won't prevent or delay anything. History has shown that prohibition doesn't work - look at the failed war on drugs and prohibition in the US.

What you need is education, and a society that actually offers hope - but hey, one can dream!

Since kids can't buy it legally anyway, why is the issue where the shops are positioned anyway?