Getting a new passport with the Retirement visa in the old passport.

I have not to many pages left in my passport, soon I will get a new Retirement Visa, when I go back to the UK I will have to apply for a new passport, if I remember correctly I apply and send my old passport along with the application and I can request the passport to be returned to me, but how does this now work? I would have a cancelled passport with my visa in it along with my re entry stamp and a new passport, can someone advise me how this now works? Thanks for any useful imformation.

Nong38. When you are in the UK it would be possible to get an OA visa without a lot of dificulty and this haw the advantage you do not have to season or have the money in a THai bank for two years if you do it right. (Exiting the country and reentering just before the one year permission of stay expires.) In the UK a doctors report and police report are easy to get and even though you have to send it to London I believe it would still be worth it.

Nong38.  When you are in the UK it would be possible to get an OA visa without a lot of dificulty and this haw the advantage you do not have to season or have the money in a THai bank for two years if you do it right. (Exiting the country and reentering just before the one year permission of stay expires.) In the UK a doctors report and police report are easy to get and even though you have to send it to London I believe it would still be worth it.

Why would he want to that?

He will already have a extension of stay and re-entry permit.

• Like 1

Your re-entry will remain valid in old passport all you need to do is use both passports when you return showing re-entry permit in old passport.

Then go to immigration to have stamps transferred.

And when he returns he will have until the end of the time he has on the extension he has and then will have to extend again.. I believe from past posts the OP has to make a very long trip for extension of his visa. This way he kills two birds with one stone for two years. Als he will have to transfer his stamps...if he has to go to immigration to do this I believe he needs to get a letter from the embassy at a potentially high cost to do so.

Of course he can do either...I am suggesting an option he may not have thought of which may benifit him.

I did not want to get a O-A visa as I will already have paid for a Retirement Visa. The returned old passport will have pages withdrawn or cancelled on it, I am not sure then when I arrive at BKK I will have to show both passports to the Immigration Officer and hope he understands the situation. An early visit to my local Immigration to then see where we go from there?

This must have happened to others before, surely.

I did not want to get a O-A visa as I will already have paid for a Retirement Visa. The returned old passport will have pages withdrawn or cancelled on it, I am not sure then when I arrive at BKK I will have to show both passports to the Immigration Officer and hope he understands the situation. An early visit to my local Immigration to then see where we go from there?

Not sure that other's advice will help. THere were some posts on here about a change in policy about extensions on renewed pasports changing recently....I will try to hunt it up.

When new UK Passports were issued, the top RHS corner used to be clipped off, any pages with still valid visas were folded in first so that these pages did not have the top RHS removed when the passport was clipped.

The above process ensures that any remaining visas, etc were ok/undamaged and could thus be shown along with the new passport for entry/transfer, etc.

If you apply for a new passport whilst still in Thailand you will not loose up to the last 6 months before expiry, as these will be credited i.e added added to the expiry date of your new passport.

The old UK passport is retained by you at all stages during the renewal process which takes 4-6 weeks and is thus not defaced in any way; however the cost is much much higher than a renewal in the UK.

Not sure that other's advice will help. THere were some posts on here about a change in policy about extensions on renewed pasports changing recently....I will try to hunt it up.

The change in Policy only applies to extensions issued Sep 2013 onwards.

yes this is the post I refered to.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/page-12?hl=new+passport#entry6788978

Immigrations will not top up an extension for a full year, as they did in the past, if you received an extension when your passport had less than a year's validity remaining. If he's getting a replacement passport because he needs more pages and not because it has expired, the extension of stay will be transferred to the new passport.

Presenting the old and new passports to Immigrations upon re-entry will not be a problem.

yes this is the post I refered to.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/page-12?hl=new+passport#entry6788978

Yes, and the key words are : "Starting from 26 August 2013, the visa extension will be permitted only up to the expiry date of the applicant's passport, if the remaining validity of the passport is less than one year. "

If the O/P got an extension for a full year, because the passport was valid for a full year, then this does not apply. He's getting a new passport because he needs more pages and, presumably, he got a full year's extension the last time he applied since there would have been no reason to given him less than a full year.

Edited by Suradit69

Did this last year. On arrival Thailand showed both passports, the expired passport had the vias and re-entry stamp. No problem, arrival stamp in new passport. When time for annual extension, immigration transfered all necessary stamps into new passport, a lot of "Stamping" took about 40 minutes, no extra charge, just usual renewal fee and re-entry stamp which I always get for "just in case".

Just did this. Tho my passport is valid until Aug of '14, I had no pages left. I got a new passport

from the Embassy, in BKK, (USA to add pages $82, new passport for 10 years$110). Today I

went to Thai Immigration, one form to complete, they need your old passport, copies of Visa and

don't forget your multiple entry stamp or you'll be stuck with a 30 day rentry at the airport. It took

about 20 minutes and no charge. The US Embassy enclosed a letter with my new passport that

requested Thai Inmmigration to transfer my visa stamp to my new passport.

Just did this. Tho my passport is valid until Aug of '14, I had no pages left. I got a new passport

from the Embassy, in BKK, (USA to add pages $82, new passport for 10 years$110). Today I

went to Thai Immigration, one form to complete, they need your old passport, copies of Visa and

don't forget your multiple entry stamp or you'll be stuck with a 30 day rentry at the airport. It took

about 20 minutes and no charge. The US Embassy enclosed a letter with my new passport that

requested Thai Inmmigration to transfer my visa stamp to my new passport.

What you appear to have done is transferred an arrival stamp/extension of stay stamp. Visas are never transferred and if actually on a visa entry you take care of the process at exit point now if you have both passports.