Current scams, the list

ttthailand

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it sounds to good to be true, gentlemen and ladies, you know what to do...

For some reason the scammers seem to think there's a high concentration of easily "scammable farang" in Thailand and, interestingly, those scammed love to share their naiveté & gullibility and tales of woe on message boards. Of course the victim in these tales of woe is always described as a friend or someone the story teller heard about ... it's never the person posting the message ... un huh.

are20you20gullible.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Black money scam ?

Here is my contribution for TV members:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCNNWCNFahE&list=PLsnYF66zMjjKPG5KMaLOMsHhitblgWsE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjG2TSbZ3Ks&list=PLsnYF66zMjjKPG5KMaLOMsHhitblgWsE0

follow these links, you will find a lot of useful information, (most of these clips are thoroughly edit).

Pension, SIPP, QROPS and Trust fund scams (all over Thailand).

Can you provide and detail into what these scams are about.

Foreigner men in Thailand trying to convince UK citizens to put their pension plans into SIPP, QROPs, or trust funds.

They can get a better return on your money, they can save you paying income tax, etc.

They often invest your funds in whatever gives them the biggest commission while taking extreme risks with your pension.

(Companies about to go under usually offer the biggest commissions to IFAs)

Leave it in the UK, lots of rules to protect you there, nothing at all to protect you in Thailand.

Anyone ever made money in a QROP?

(I think not)

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, QROPs is registered and promoted by HM government, your money stays in the UK and is perfectly safe. I save over 2,000 GBP a year on tax and now with the new changes this year in the UK tax system even more. Suggest you get you fact straight before you make a blanket criticism.

The scam of tourists coming to Thailand and pretending to be very wealthy people. They spend big, impressing Thai ladies by throwing money around on them and their families. The tourist may keep this scam going weeks/months or years. When the tourist snares his prize of either a longterm girlfriend or wife. He then decides it is time to stop pretending to be wealthy. He cuts back drastically and dramatically on his spending and generosity. This leaves the Thai lady being suckered into a relationship based on deception and untruth, which leads to terrible disillusionment on her part in her trust for her scamming bf/husband.

and so she walks out the door...right?

Thai girls/women being paid a kick back after a purchase. I've had that happen with as little as a B100 tuk tuk fare, inflated to B100 from what it should have been.....B40!! I saw the B60 not to discreetly change hands as I scrambled out of the tuk tuk.

She bought her own dinner that evening, and I never saw her again.

I know many Thais are poor by our standards, but 60 baht? $2.00!!

I'd like to know why those that lose money in scams consider themselves to be victims, when they are (in the majority of cases) just victims of their own stupidity.

Then they are indeed victims of their own stupidity, are they not?

It's hard to live a life without trust.

Sometimes you need to trust your wife, children, financial advisor, bank manager, stock broker, solicitor, employer, friends, government.

Unfortunately all too often you discover you have misplaced your trust in one or some of these people.

Hardly stupid on your part, the untrustworthy ones usually practise very hard to appear trustworthy.

They don't make money by appearing too obviously to be crooks.

So far in my life, from that list, I have been proven wrong about trusting 1 wife, 2 children, 3 IFAs, 1 solicitor, several friends and my government. So how stupid am I?

May be not stupid, just a believer? Buddha says get rid of all attachments and you will be happy. Maybe trust is another form of 'attachment'?

No beliefs - no disappointment! But it's hard, I know.smile.png

• Like 1

Pension, SIPP, QROPS and Trust fund scams (all over Thailand).

Can you provide and detail into what these scams are about.
Foreigner men in Thailand trying to convince UK citizens to put their pension plans into SIPP, QROPs, or trust funds.

They can get a better return on your money, they can save you paying income tax, etc.

They often invest your funds in whatever gives them the biggest commission while taking extreme risks with your pension.

(Companies about to go under usually offer the biggest commissions to IFAs)

Leave it in the UK, lots of rules to protect you there, nothing at all to protect you in Thailand.

Anyone ever made money in a QROP?

(I think not)

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, QROPs is registered and promoted by HM government, your money stays in the UK and is perfectly safe. I save over 2,000 GBP a year on tax and now with the new changes this year in the UK tax system even more. Suggest you get you fact straight before you make a blanket criticism.

how can a non thai get QROPs?appreciate info

I was chatting with a Thai Taxi driver about this topic not ong ago, and he put it as succinctly as I have ever heard. "If there are no buyers, there will be no seller"

I do think we should distinguish between those milked in Get Rich scams, who are most definitely victims of their own greed and stupidity, but are distinct from people who are otherwise minding their own business enjoying their vacation and are duped by unscrupulus predators like the Jet Ski and Palace closed scams.

• Like 2

The scam of tourists coming to Thailand and pretending to be very wealthy people. They spend big, impressing Thai ladies by throwing money around on them and their families. The tourist may keep this scam going weeks/months or years. When the tourist snares his prize of either a longterm girlfriend or wife. He then decides it is time to stop pretending to be wealthy. He cuts back drastically and dramatically on his spending and generosity. This leaves the Thai lady being suckered into a relationship based on deception and untruth, which leads to terrible disillusionment on her part in her trust for her scamming bf/husband.

Ha ha, payback's a bitch lol cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Small scams can catch any of us. You take a bus and find you are left outside of town with only taxis and vans from the bus company as transport options - or a long walk with your bags. I call these situations 'being in the fish trap'. No easy way out once in, better to find a fake smile and chalk it up to experience. Bigger scams usually rely on your greed to succeed. I was caught in the - Grand Palace closed/free tuk tuk/tax holiday at gem store - scam 20 years ago (still going strong today, that one), and just lost a few hours at the Palace because I didn't think I could make a killing reselling bad quality (and wouldn't have thought so if they had been great quality) jewelry when I got home. Other things we might call scams seem to be more like extortion, like the jet ski 'scam'.

"This leaves the Thai lady being suckered into a relationship based on deception and untruth, which leads to terrible disillusionment on her part in her trust for her scamming bf/husband."

I think we may also call spending lots while dating "wining and dining". Her illusion that was "dis"ed seems to be her intention was to get a guy with money, regardless of what he was like as a person. Myself, I like the other approach, which is to just be average. If she is worthwhile and in it for me, then I may be generous. But not stupid, or too stupid! Friend of mine has lovely well maintained older car. Named it "freedom": very good at separating the "in it for the money and status" from the chai dee girls he may be interested in. Saves time, saves money.

I alerted TV to the Chiang Mai scam (well, for the 2nd time), but everyone says the same thing, "sucker." It is as if they think everyone dumb deserves to lose it all. sure, this is how the world works to some extent, but should we not show compassion for these "suckers"? Enlighten the masses. Like, when I see an old guy with a young bar girl......oh yea, i say nothing. hmmm.... ok, when i see people getting on a jet ski.....oh yea, i say nothing. hmmmm.. You either have common sense, or you don't. Maybe getting "suckered" allowed them to "live" and escape some other problem they had. There are a billion ways to get cash via shady operations, and some guys could care less about 100k baht and being a "sucker" if they get a girl for months. Let's be real, no clownshoes thinks he can love a thai girl 10 years younger when his only thai word is "kap", but he is trying to live differently i guess. anyhow, i'll go back to my coffee.... coffee1.gif

Online dating scams - lovely young lady or man makes contact or you make contact with them on dating site. After a few times chats and perhaps a few photos are exchanged they want to come to meet you but because they have no money they can not. They request that you send them money. Other money requests are also used. Always video chat to confirm you are talking to the person you believe it to

be and never send money to someone you never met in person.

The video chat is also a scam they have new software that looks like you are talking to the woman or man of your dreams, but it is not really them, they even blow you a kiss & wave but it's just a software program designed for that purpose with some Nigerian on the other end pushing the buttons.

For all of those who took offence i do believe there is an element of sarcasm in this post .whistling.gif not to be taken too seriously !!!!, but true all the same !!!!!

I'd like to know why those that lose money in scams consider themselves to be victims, when they are (in the majority of cases) just victims of their own stupidity.

There might be someone out there that is cleverer than you you know.

And some scams are quite convincing.

And some started out as legitimate deals and became scams later as things go wrong.

I do not believe I am stupid, but have lost money a few times in my life.

Sometimes ones good nature,trust in others and compassion is taken advantage of, if one has any.

• Like 2

The ultimate and number1 scam is (and remains):

- Thai lady marrying Farang (wearing rose colored glasses) with the sole intent of milking him financially.

This must be the number 1 scam and ongoing. The financial damage done to Farangs by this scam dwarfs any damage done by petty Jet-Ski-scams, etc etc....

Perfectly legal and Thai-Legislation supports this scam.

Cheers.

Yes, I agree with that. But also that many farang make promises to nice girls ( not bar girls) that they never keep. Scamming they way into their pants .

cheesy.gif No comment

Well i have to agree with you.The other is that they even tell fellow farangs that they have money, but can't access it, and then ask to borrow cash, and then of course disappear and on to the next mug.

So relating things to other posts, it's a 50/50 thing. The Thai women (but not all of them) are after the cash, and the Western guys are after sex. Nothing much changed in a couple of thousand years eh?

- Thai lady marrying Farang (wearing rose colored glasses) with the sole intent of milking him financially.

This must be the number 1 scam and ongoing. The financial damage done to Farangs by this scam dwarfs any damage done by petty Jet-Ski-scams, etc etc....

Cheers.

very true!!! so farangs out there be wise than Thai ladies. they are good at acting just to get your sympathy and trust. many are too deceitful just to get money easily from wealthy white men, and can even lead to your death.

Lets not forget the PatPong upstairs bar scams where you go watch a show have a few drinks and the bill is 5,000 baht or more. This can also happen in any off the path bar. Don't be shy to ask about prices prior to going in or drinking at any bar. Avoid bars that give you a bad vibe .... A few big ruff looking Thai guy hanging around the front door might be a clue that things may not be on the up and up.

Cheers.

very true!!! so farangs out there be wise than Thai ladies. they are good at acting just to get your sympathy and trust. many are too deceitful just to get money easily from wealthy white men, and can even lead to your death.

another newbie, knows everything about thai girls,

makes me laugh,,,

• Like 2

Send me $10,000 and I will call it the Post #3 Scam!

I sent you the 10k, but it seems that it is being held up in the bank for transfer

... Just need you help to send me USD 500 to take care of everything to get the fund released to your account

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1