Current scams, the list

ttthailand

I'd like to know why those that lose money in scams consider themselves to be victims, when they are (in the majority of cases) just victims of their own stupidity.

And their greed, in most cases.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ultimate and number1 scam is (and remains):

- Thai lady marrying Farang (wearing rose colored glasses) with the sole intent of milking him financially.

This must be the number 1 scam and ongoing. The financial damage done to Farangs by this scam dwarfs any damage done by petty Jet-Ski-scams, etc etc....

Perfectly legal and Thai-Legislation supports this scam.

Cheers.

I have very little, to no sympathy for these men who get taken by Thai women. It's financial Darwinism as far as I'm concerned.

Be fair....some lonely guys about the planet that seek some warmth and affection, not their fault at times they believe everything they are told by a little sweety and lose the plot.

• Like 1

I'd like to know why those that lose money in scams consider themselves to be victims, when they are (in the majority of cases) just victims of their own stupidity.

Then they are indeed victims of their own stupidity, are they not?

It's hard to live a life without trust.

Sometimes you need to trust your wife, children, financial advisor, bank manager, stock broker, solicitor, employer, friends, government.

Unfortunately all too often you discover you have misplaced your trust in one or some of these people.

Hardly stupid on your part, the untrustworthy ones usually practise very hard to appear trustworthy.

They don't make money by appearing too obviously to be crooks.

So far in my life, from that list, I have been proven wrong about trusting 1 wife, 2 children, 3 IFAs, 1 solicitor, several friends and my government. So how stupid am I?

Indeed, you have a point. Not ever trusting creates a very unhappy cynic. But, if you're smart and learn from your experiences you can become better at detecting the liars and scammers.

As a reminder ... the word "con man" comes from "confidence man" ... i.e., someone who gains your confidence in order to scam you. Some people are very good at it. Fortunately, in these days of the internet and social media, it's much easier to check out someone and their story.

Meanwhile, anyone interested in a fail-safe investment?

As a reminder ... the word "con man" comes from "confidence man" ... i.e., someone who gains your confidence in order to scam you. Some people are very good at it. Fortunately, in these days of the internet and social media, it's much easier to check out someone and their story.

Not in Thailand where defamation laws are strange.

You name someone, true or not, anywhere on the internet or social media, and your post will be removed.

Don't believe me, point to a post on TV (or any other Thai info source) where a Thai based con man/company has been named?

Edited by FiftyTwo

The scam of tourists coming to Thailand and pretending to be very wealthy people. They spend big, impressing Thai ladies by throwing money around on them and their families. The tourist may keep this scam going weeks/months or years. When the tourist snares his prize of either a longterm girlfriend or wife. He then decides it is time to stop pretending to be wealthy. He cuts back drastically and dramatically on his spending and generosity. This leaves the Thai lady being suckered into a relationship based on deception and untruth, which leads to terrible disillusionment on her part in her trust for her scamming bf/husband.

For all of those who took offence i do believe there is an element of sarcasm in this post .whistling.gif not to be taken too seriously !!!!, but true all the same !!!!!

To those that took "offense" I think they doth protest too much. Why such a harsh reaction, fellows? Perhaps you were betrayed by a woman ... Thai or otherwise ... and are a bit bitter? 555

Coconut scam in Vietnam - this one almost happened to A friend and I. We were Walking around HCM city in Vietnam and a guy carrying two baskets of coconuts held on a pole on his shoulder walked along side of us and smiled and handed the entire thing to my friend. My friend thinking nothing puts the pole across his shoulders and walks a little ways laughing and joking how heavy it is. The guy asks us " do you like coconuts" we say yes. He very quickly opens two coconuts and hands to us. We think ok not a problem and take a drink and chat for a few seconds. After he said we owed him about 10 dollars US for the two coconuts.... Hahaha. Refusing to get scammed I saw a guy up the street selling coconuts in a booth and ran up and asked how much. They were about a dollar each. When back gave the guy two dollars and walked away. He didn't like it but lived with it.... You think Thailand is bad... Everyone in Vietnam is looking for a way to extract money from tourists.

That hasn't been my experience in Vietnam ... not at all. Maybe it's you.

Sure there are scammers ... everywhere ... but I've experienced a lot less in Vietnam than in Thailand.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 2

The scam of tourists coming to Thailand and pretending to be very wealthy people. They spend big, impressing Thai ladies by throwing money around on them and their families. The tourist may keep this scam going weeks/months or years. When the tourist snares his prize of either a longterm girlfriend or wife. He then decides it is time to stop pretending to be wealthy. He cuts back drastically and dramatically on his spending and generosity. This leaves the Thai lady being suckered into a relationship based on deception and untruth, which leads to terrible disillusionment on her part in her trust for her scamming bf/husband.

what a load of bull... get real .where are you living . in noddyland

To be honest though, there are plenty of two week millionaires - they arrive, play Mr Big for two weeks, and then sod of back to their homeland on a below average salary, living in a council house and driving a 15 year old Ford Focus and then save up for their annual trip

And if that's what the poor guy wants & chooses to do with his own hard-earned money, how is that absolutely any interest of yours? My only comment would be that if he then has nothing to retire on or deal with an emergency, the taxpayers shouldn't have to bail him out with welfare.

Coconut scam in Vietnam - this one almost happened to A friend and I. We were Walking around HCM city in Vietnam and a guy carrying two baskets of coconuts held on a pole on his shoulder walked along side of us and smiled and handed the entire thing to my friend. My friend thinking nothing puts the pole across his shoulders and walks a little ways laughing and joking how heavy it is. The guy asks us " do you like coconuts" we say yes. He very quickly opens two coconuts and hands to us. We think ok not a problem and take a drink and chat for a few seconds. After he said we owed him about 10 dollars US for the two coconuts.... Hahaha. Refusing to get scammed I saw a guy up the street selling coconuts in a booth and ran up and asked how much. They were about a dollar each. When back gave the guy two dollars and walked away. He didn't like it but lived with it.... You think Thailand is bad... Everyone in Vietnam is looking for a way to extract money from tourists.

Maybe it's me ???

The ultimate and number1 scam is (and remains):

- Thai lady marrying Farang (wearing rose colored glasses) with the sole intent of milking him financially.

This must be the number 1 scam and ongoing. The financial damage done to Farangs by this scam dwarfs any damage done by petty Jet-Ski-scams, etc etc....

Perfectly legal and Thai-Legislation supports this scam.

Cheers.

I have very little, to no sympathy for these men who get taken by Thai women. It's financial Darwinism as far as I'm concerned.

Be fair....some lonely guys about the planet that seek some warmth and affection, not their fault at times they believe everything they are told by a little sweety and lose the plot.

Hey, mate ... I've been one of those foolish guys. 5555 And it retrospect, I have no sympathy for myself either ... but I do have a sense of humor and can laugh at myself.

Actually, I think the old-farang/young-Thai-girl dance is quite fair. She wants my money and I want a hot young and sexy lady. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Fortunately I've done the dance so long and often that I finally lucked out and figured out how to find and keep a loving and trustworthy Thai woman. I did it on www.thailovelinks.com. Yeah, I know ... there's lots of scammers on there also, but there's also a lot of sincere ladies if you have the time, patience and skill to sort them out. Practice makes perfect.

Not in Thailand where defamation laws are strange.

You name someone, true or not, anywhere on the internet or social media, and your post will be removed.

Don't believe me, point to a post on TV (or any other Thai info source) where a Thai based con man/company has been named?

I'm speaking more generally than just in Thailand. But even so, you can still check out if someone has given you a bogus name, or history, or address, or company, etc. And I'm not talking about me personally naming someone.

Edited by HerbalEd

Pension, SIPP, QROPS and Trust fund scams (all over Thailand).

Can you provide and detail into what these scams are about.

Foreigner men in Thailand trying to convince UK citizens to put their pension plans into SIPP, QROPs, or trust funds.

They can get a better return on your money, they can save you paying income tax, etc.

They often invest your funds in whatever gives them the biggest commission while taking extreme risks with your pension.

(Companies about to go under usually offer the biggest commissions to IFAs)

Leave it in the UK, lots of rules to protect you there, nothing at all to protect you in Thailand.

Anyone ever made money in a QROP?

(I think not)

Wow thanks for that insightful run down (LIES) on QROPS. I take it you have pension qualifications and experience in the industry, knowing the mechanics of how QROPS work?

Look I don't mean to be rude but QROPS are most definitely not a scam and to think this response hasn't been deleted by moderators is a but worrying.

I have worked in the industry for several years, I am qualified to consultant level in Singapore and I have first hand experience in dealing with QROPS (in some case £500k +). I really find it disrespectful to the amount of hard work I have put into my career when I come accross people like yourself who spread lies, but hey ho I guess thats the internet.

Look the main puropose of a QROPS, is not as you state to get better returns. It is a pension product therefore returns will generally be low due to the low risk outlook it will be put under as the safety of the capital is paramount. The main purpose is for people who DO NOT (let me state that emphatically as these are designed for people staying offshore for life) plan to return to the UK, to receive tax benefits including -

- No Inheritance Tax (so important, so that if you pass away then your family receive your full pension, instead of the UK Government taking around half of it)

- No Capital Gains Tax (same as UK Pension)

- No Income Tax

To say we only invest in whatever fund give the biggest commission is libelous and it is unbelievable you can even get away with saying that. We work together with clients to create the portfolio that makes up their plan, where we look at their risk profile and we generally take a very cautious approach to ensure maximum safety. It has absolutely nothing to do with commission.

You say leave it in the UK. Wow great advice and I would like to see your financial qualifications to give advice on the matter. However as mentioned it will will be liable to different taxes. And you say it will be protected and nothing to protect it in Thailand. Again more Lies. QROPS are placed in offshore jurisdictions with safety protections to guard the funds and all plans are approved by HRMC can be viewed on their website.

And making money off QROPS. As mentioned it is not to make money, it is to save expats on tax that the shouldn't be liable for as they don't live in the country. But they can actually make money through good management, if that is a clients desire. As a company we have an in-house portfolio team who manage these according to our clients desires.

I'm sorry if some of this seems a bit rude but it is pure lies and gives my industry a terrible name when information like this is share. I just thought I would clear that up. If anybody has any questions please feel free to message me and I will try to answer any queries.

Cheers

David McCulloch

• Like 1

Maybe it's me ???

Hey, mate ... don't take it personally. I don't know you from Adam. Speaking generally ... I'm just saying that certain people attract scammers more than other people do. A skilled con man is very good at sniffing out the gullible ... e.g., the classic rubber-necking tourist who is obviously a newbie ... or the guy who appears to lack self confidence ... etc..

Foreigner men in Thailand trying to convince UK citizens to put their pension plans into SIPP, QROPs, or trust funds.

They can get a better return on your money, they can save you paying income tax, etc.

They often invest your funds in whatever gives them the biggest commission while taking extreme risks with your pension.

Leave it in the UK, lots of rules to protect you there, nothing at all to protect you in Thailand.

(I think not)

Wow thanks for that insightful run down (LIES) on QROPS. I take it you have pension qualifications and experience in the industry, knowing the mechanics of how QROPS work?

Look I don't mean to be rude but QROPS are most definitely not a scam and to think this response hasn't been deleted by moderators is a but worrying.

I have worked in the industry for several years, I am qualified to consultant level in Singapore and I have first hand experience in dealing with QROPS (in some case £500k +). I really find it disrespectful to the amount of hard work I have put into my career when I come accross people like yourself who spread lies, but hey ho I guess thats the internet.

Look the main puropose of a QROPS, is not as you state to get better returns. It is a pension product therefore returns will generally be low due to the low risk outlook it will be put under as the safety of the capital is paramount. The main purpose is for people who DO NOT (let me state that emphatically as these are designed for people staying offshore for life) plan to return to the UK, to receive tax benefits including -

- No Inheritance Tax (so important, so that if you pass away then your family receive your full pension, instead of the UK Government taking around half of it)

- No Income Tax

To say we only invest in whatever fund give the biggest commission is libelous and it is unbelievable you can even get away with saying that. We work together with clients to create the portfolio that makes up their plan, where we look at their risk profile and we generally take a very cautious approach to ensure maximum safety. It has absolutely nothing to do with commission.

You say leave it in the UK. Wow great advice and I would like to see your financial qualifications to give advice on the matter. However as mentioned it will will be liable to different taxes. And you say it will be protected and nothing to protect it in Thailand. Again more Lies. QROPS are placed in offshore jurisdictions with safety protections to guard the funds and all plans are approved by HRMC can be viewed on their website.

And making money off QROPS. As mentioned it is not to make money, it is to save expats on tax that the shouldn't be liable for as they don't live in the country. But they can actually make money through good management, if that is a clients desire. As a company we have an in-house portfolio team who manage these according to our clients desires.

I'm sorry if some of this seems a bit rude but it is pure lies and gives my industry a terrible name when information like this is share. I just thought I would clear that up. If anybody has any questions please feel free to message me and I will try to answer any queries.

Cheers

David McCulloch

Might take you up on that. thumbsup.gif

I would just like to say that the comment concerning the pension and QROPS so called scams is completely wrong and a disgraceful thing to say. The truth is that

these Quailifying Recognised Overseas Pensions Schemes are at least as heavily regulated (and sometimes more so) than any pension in the UK. This is the

first time I have posted on this site but really the advice to leave your pension in the Uk is just nonsense. I have lived here for nearly three years with my English

wife and daughter and we decided to move two of our pensions from the Uk into QROPS to fund our daughters further education. We were allowed to utilise 30%

immediately as a lump sum and get a much better return on the remaining funds. This may not be relevant in our case but don't forget that the first thing that

happens to a pension in the UK when the person named dies is that the government take 55% of what's left. How is that good for anybody ? Pensions in the UK

are a mess, and have been for some years.

Tell us what funds your QROPs is invested in, we'll tell you which ones are now worthless.

For a start anything with 'LM' in the name, went bust earlier this year, no loss admitted to many fund holders yet.

And this investment was very, very popular with Thai based IFAs, because they had up to a 15% commission from LM.

Has you IFA been buying and selling portfolio items on his own? 5% loss to your pension every time he does it.

Have you allowed an IFA to act as an Intermediary on your QROP? If you have watch out!

I have just replied to another post and I will keep this one shorter and let you read that. I know you are replying to someone else but I'll give my thoughts.

"Tell us what funds your QROPS are invested in" -- What a specific question, However the company I work for have hundreds of clients who have QROPS in place. Within each of them, each portfolio that makes up their QROPS is created in a bespoke manner, meaning each person has a different fund holding. This is created through various meetings with the client to establish their goals, desires, risk profile, personal circumstances and many more factors. We take a consultative approach to creating these and make sure they reflect these factors as best as we possibly can. Our CFA qualified portfolio team would probably take some offence to your view on how they operate. So to answer this question - with regards to my company - we have hundreds of different funds we use (all of which substantial due-diligence is carried out on) and they are all approved my the large organisations/QROPS providers we work with who also carry out their own due-dilligence.

You mention one fund that went bust. You say it is very popular with many Thai FA's due to the commission generated. To make a claim like that I hope you have some solid proof and can post it on here for others to see. I can guarantee you my company have not invested any of our clients fund in this fund.

You say IFA's buy/sell funds on our own - otherwise know as 'churning'. Again this would not have even have a remote chance of happening in my organisation and especially not to make commission.

I think when you start spouting lies you should specify who you are talking about instead of tarring the whole industry with the same brush.

Maybe it's me ???
Hey, mate ... don't take it personally. I don't know you from Adam. Speaking generally ... I'm just saying that certain people attract scammers more than other people do. A skilled con man is very good at sniffing out the gullible ... e.g., the classic rubber-necking tourist who is obviously a newbie ... or the guy who appears to lack self confidence ... etc..
lacking self confidence is not me for sure... Hahaha.... However, being first time in Vietnam was the case. I have however lived in Asia going on 20 years. Traveled to every country in Asia. I spent two weeks and traveled from HCM up the coast to Hanoi. Taxis going the long way around to increase meter, coconut scam, some of the bars and girls were just funny in some of the stuff they tried to pull, hookers on motorbikes, travel agents doing some crazy stuff, etc etc.... I must say that it was silly stuff and most of the time I just had to laugh and think <deleted> .... It just seemed everyone wanted to try to get a little slice of the pie...Hahaha. Going in a disco, lady serving drinks and sits down and pours half my beer in her glass... No invite or any discussion just did it.... No big deal but different. If she was hot maybe it would have been ok .... Made me laugh.
  • Like 1

Cheers

David McCulloch

Here are some questions.

Did your company ever invest any clients money in an Australian company, LM?

What is the biggest percentage of a clients fund that your company has ever invested in one client's portfolio item, and what percentage would you personally recommend as a maximum if different?

Are any of your clients unhappy with the performance of their QROP?, if so how many?

Do you ask your clients to sign a form giving your company the right to buy and sell their portfolio items, acting as an intermediary? If so why? Do you explain they don't need to sign this form to operate their QROP?

I am glad to hear that your company is honest and reliable.

Our problem,

How could we tell your honest company from an unscrupulous company, some of which you must admit do exist in Thailand.

Some helpful pointers please?

PS

No need to call me names, your industry already has a terrible reputation, as far as I can tell.

This reputation is not down to me, but attributed to the people who are often found working there and the products they sell.

Edited by FiftyTwo

(I think not)

- No Income Tax

Cheers

David McCulloch

Oh dear another TV snake oil salesman! :)

• Like 2

A friend just got done yesterday at the motorway toll booth on the way down to Pattaya. Police pull him over out of site, they are wearing scarves covering most of their face and get 1500 out of him for speeding and no license on him. They wanted 2,000 but he got it down.

They are obviously worried about videos on you tube these days !

Amazing now they are wearing masks. They will say they do not want to get brown ?

It's hardly a scam if he was speeding and driving with no license, he got what he asked for.

I would just like to say that the comment concerning the pension and QROPS so called scams is completely wrong and a disgraceful thing to say. The truth is that

these Quailifying Recognised Overseas Pensions Schemes are at least as heavily regulated (and sometimes more so) than any pension in the UK. This is the

first time I have posted on this site but really the advice to leave your pension in the Uk is just nonsense. I have lived here for nearly three years with my English

wife and daughter and we decided to move two of our pensions from the Uk into QROPS to fund our daughters further education. We were allowed to utilise 30%

immediately as a lump sum and get a much better return on the remaining funds. This may not be relevant in our case but don't forget that the first thing that

happens to a pension in the UK when the person named dies is that the government take 55% of what's left. How is that good for anybody ? Pensions in the UK

Tell us what funds your QROPs is invested in, we'll tell you which ones are now worthless.

For a start anything with 'LM' in the name, went bust earlier this year, no loss admitted to many fund holders yet.

And this investment was very, very popular with Thai based IFAs, because they had up to a 15% commission from LM.

Has you IFA been buying and selling portfolio items on his own? 5% loss to your pension every time he does it.

Have you allowed an IFA to act as an Intermediary on your QROP? If you have watch out!

LM. Please pm with the name.

Sounds as if your still in denial, sorry for your loss when the penny drops.

I'd love you to enlighten me with some specific information rather than some halfwit generic comment that means absolutely nothing. If you've got some

information that might be useful please share it.

Wow, can't believe you bit.... one born every minute

Oh dear, just returned to find this comment. Is this what you really what you want to say ? You're obviously the brains of the outfit. Decent discussion

not possible on this site. Time to go.

lacking self confidence is not me for sure... Hahaha.... However, being first time in Vietnam was the case. I have however lived in Asia going on 20 years. Traveled to every country in Asia. I spent two weeks and traveled from HCM up the coast to Hanoi. Taxis going the long way around to increase meter, coconut scam, some of the bars and girls were just funny in some of the stuff they tried to pull, hookers on motorbikes, travel agents doing some crazy stuff, etc etc.... I must say that it was silly stuff and most of the time I just had to laugh and think <deleted> .... It just seemed everyone wanted to try to get a little slice of the pie...Hahaha. Going in a disco, lady serving drinks and sits down and pours half my beer in her glass... No invite or any discussion just did it.... No big deal but different. If she was hot maybe it would have been ok .... Made me laugh.

Good for you ttthailand. You've got the right attitude. I try not to take any of it too seriously or personally ... otherwise you go nuts and don't have any fun. It is what it is. Hell traveling to far-away exotic places wouldn't be near as much fun if it was always comfortable, and safe-&-sound like at home. And, actually, some of my best memories and favorite yarns to spin are about what was at the time a bad experience. It's called adventure!

• Like 1

This one was pulled on me today.

I have a car for sale online. A thai woman calls me this wednesday evening, speaks decent english, says her american husband, who is currently at work overseas, saw my car online and is interested in buying it. Next day she comes to take a look with her thai "brother" on a motorbike. Very nice and very polite. They check the car, they like it and we agree on a price. She tells me she is waiting for her husband to transfer the money but she will get it tomorrow. We arrange that we can go together to transfer the name friday, which is actually today.

There were a few warning signs, such as the very fast transfer of money, but it could be done using western union, athough it is very expensive and there might be a limit on transfer which I am not aware of. I was also a little suspicious about her brother who had a totally different skin complextion, much lighter than his "sister". I though that they might have convinced the american husband that he is her brother but not me, probably a boyfriend was my thought. She also said they were renting a car right now but that is too expensive. Weird when they show up on a motorbike. But they were very convincing so these warning signs was not enough at that stage for me to pull back.

Later Thursday evening she calls to confirm, that the money are transfered tomorrow and she will call me friday to settle the deal and transfer the name.

2 hours later same evening she calls me again and says she have talked to her parents and they say that friday is a very bad day in Thailand to buy a car. She wants to ask me a favour as the office is closed for the weekend and she really want the car before next week. She wants me to go and transfer the name to her name on Friday and then leave the car at my place until Saturday where she will pay as this day is a better day to buy, according to her very superstitious parents.

I tell her that I want the money transfered to my bank account or cash and then we can go together and change the name in the book. So I suggest that we will do it Monday. At this time I get very suspecious but she was an amazing actress playing the sweet but also a little naive so I guess some guys might have fallen for it.

All this happend Thursday and today Friday she calls me again and says that she and her american husband has had a fight and he will not allow her to buy the car, so she apologizes.

These two were actually extreemly convincing, except for the few suspecious points, but I am sure that they have been doing this many times because they were very skilled.

I don't have any photos but I will check with security tomorrow to see if we caught them on tape. I think they should be reported to the police. Maybe we can set a trap.

This one was pulled on me today.

I have a car for sale online. A thai woman calls me this wednesday evening, speaks decent english, says her american husband, who is currently at work overseas, saw my car online and is interested in buying it. Next day she comes to take a look with her thai "brother" on a motorbike. Very nice and very polite. They check the car, they like it and we agree on a price. She tells me she is waiting for her husband to transfer the money but she will get it tomorrow. We arrange that we can go together to transfer the name friday, which is actually today.

There were a few warning signs, such as the very fast transfer of money, but it could be done using western union, athough it is very expensive and there might be a limit on transfer which I am not aware of. I was also a little suspicious about her brother who had a totally different skin complextion, much lighter than his "sister". I though that they might have convinced the american husband that he is her brother but not me, probably a boyfriend was my thought. She also said they were renting a car right now but that is too expensive. Weird when they show up on a motorbike. But they were very convincing so these warning signs was not enough at that stage for me to pull back.

Later Thursday evening she calls to confirm, that the money are transfered tomorrow and she will call me friday to settle the deal and transfer the name.

2 hours later same evening she calls me again and says she have talked to her parents and they say that friday is a very bad day in Thailand to buy a car. She wants to ask me a favour as the office is closed for the weekend and she really want the car before next week. She wants me to go and transfer the name to her name on Friday and then leave the car at my place until Saturday where she will pay as this day is a better day to buy, according to her very superstitious parents.

I tell her that I want the money transfered to my bank account or cash and then we can go together and change the name in the book. So I suggest that we will do it Monday. At this time I get very suspecious but she was an amazing actress playing the sweet but also a little naive so I guess some guys might have fallen for it.

All this happend Thursday and today Friday she calls me again and says that she and her american husband has had a fight and he will not allow her to buy the car, so she apologizes.

These two were actually extreemly convincing, except for the few suspecious points, but I am sure that they have been doing this many times because they were very skilled.

I don't have any photos but I will check with security tomorrow to see if we caught them on tape. I think they should be reported to the police. Maybe we can set a trap.

It all sounded like a scam up until the very last part. She seems like a very courteous scammer/thief to call you and say the deal is off. Seems out of character to me.

Add the bank/personal check scam to the list : I know of at least three major Thai banks that hold your money waiting for the Thai baht exchange rate to improve before depositing the funds in your account, This has been going on for at least 25 years.

It works like this, say you take a $20k personal check to one of these fine Thai banks. You will be told "this will take up to 45 days to process". This is a lie of course as the check clears the bank in the foreign country (certainly in the US) in 10-14 days, sometimes only a week. When the money is deposited in the Thai bank, the rate may be say 32 to 1 USD. The bank will hold the funds for another month, maybe more, maybe less until the rate suddenly drops in their favor, say to 31 to 1 USD. The funds show up in your account at that crap rate and you have been scammed out of 20,000 baht!!