Microsoft Starts Windows Auto-piracy Check Today

george

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?

Leave all those viruses, worms malware behind when you switch from Microsoft to one of the better systems. Macs are brilliant but Linux is free (or at least cheaper if you want all the bells and whistles you are used to with Windows) and you do not get all this shit when you update Suse.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the state of Linux. I am a heavy user of Windows and I hate it. If I could do what I need to do in Linux, I would dump windows in the trash where it belongs. I unfortuneatly have some killer apps that prevent me from using Linux.

I also make a boatload of money fixing Windows.

Go figure.

A Windows Genuine Advantage pop-up nags perpetrators...

(this may haqppened to you too)

Windows Genuine Advantage

PC owners "running a copy of Windows that has failed the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process" will see:

It appears that you could be a victim of software piracy. The copy of Windows installed on this computer is not considered to be genuine by Microsoft."

And they'll keep on seeing it until their computers are running "genuine Microsoft Windows".

They'll have two choices.

Click Resolve now or, click Remind me later.

There's also the dreaded Balloon Notification

"After you log on to a non-genuine copy of Windows XP, you receive a balloon notification message in the notification area that is specific to the validation failure. You can click the balloon notification or the notification area icon to open the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Failure Web page. This Web page gives you the specifics of the validation failure and the steps that you can take to make the operating system genuine."

Then the pervasive Desktop Banner Text which'll appear if perpetrators (or victims) choose Remind me later.

In that case, the following banner text appears on the "locked desktop":

"The copy of Windows installed on this computer is not considered to be genuine by Microsoft.

Luckily, if you had system restore running you could roll back the changes.

Hopefully, the remedy is on the way. (please PM me the details of the work around)

Edited by Condo_bk

It's a funny thing about Linux; back in '04 it was looking like Linux was taking over; stores had in many cases at least half of new computers loaded with Linux (in thailand); now suddenly the Linux has vanished. Long live Bill Gates for pulling that one off

Maybe they should lower their prices. I would buy it if the price was reasonable.

I had a registered original copy of windows xp home edition. It had so many problems I guess since it was made before SP1 that it didn't work well. It seemed like microsoft stopped supporting that version and concentrated on later releases.

It made more sence to get an uptodate from Pantip plaza than to waste more of my valuable time trying to fix a product I shouldn't have to fix.

From now on, I'll just get my updates from Pantip.

Edited by richard10365

A very big thanks to previous posters because yesterday I lost all the graphics/ toggles etc so I couldn't even post to ask for help.

All the avatars and little buttons disappeared. Obviously my XP came from a friend here in Thailand and my hardware is not very sophisticated.

Thanks again.

:D:o:D:D:D

Turn your auto updates off immediately.

Control Panel/System/Auto updates - disable, and also check that it's disabled in Control/Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Wait until the solution is found, then turn them back on. In the mean time try to get updates from Autopatcher, latest version is for April, and also there is/was a place called "Windiz updates" that lets you download patches without going through Windows validation screens, though they might not have responded to the latest Microsoft moves yet.

It's a funny thing about Linux; back in '04 it was looking like Linux was taking over; stores had in many cases at least half of new computers loaded with Linux (in thailand); now suddenly the Linux has vanished. Long live Bill Gates for pulling that one off

Simple really just threaten to take away their MS licence so they cannot get genuine MS s/w. Problem solved!

i had tried ubantu linux a while back on virtual machine....it was very easy to use and seems to work out of the box.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

it seems to have become really popular now

Ubuntu is the best OS for a newbie. It is stable, easy to install, have great support and has a huge software respository. Installing software is a breeze, just click on install applications, browse and click the ones you want to install, Ubuntu automatically downloads the apps, games, etc and installs them. Ubuntu is the way to go. The only thing they are light on is GPRS modem support.

i had tried ubantu linux a while back on virtual machine....it was very easy to use and seems to work out of the box.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

it seems to have become really popular now

Ubuntu is the best OS for a newbie. It is stable, easy to install, have great support and has a huge software respository. Installing software is a breeze, just click on install applications, browse and click the ones you want to install, Ubuntu automatically downloads the apps, games, etc and installs them. Ubuntu is the way to go. The only thing they are light on is GPRS modem support.

pretty much like Suse 10.0...with the added GPRS support! Actually, you don't need to download anuthing for Suse, it all comes on the CD and you cna choose what you want to install. If you want to add or remove something later, no problem, just click on it and put the CD in. No need for internet.

The hard part for me is still connecting comps and make them "talk" to each other.

I've been waiting to pay Microbitch for their ownership of my computer.

I know for sure that buying my computer from a dealer in Pantip Plaza I was safe though, of course... and just if I had the Linux removed to put a known program like windows on, does not by any means mean I was asking for a pirate copy of anything...

In fact I hope a Mircosoft robot kills G.W.Bushie and rules the world with an iron fist and instead of taxes we pay a communication fee to be allowed to associate with other living beings at risk of penalty of death for not making on time payments.

Otherwise robots should be our only source of contact outside the confines of our rooms which shall be defined as "cubicles per square person" by a Bush appointed district judge never to be accepted in challange by the Bush/Cheny Supreme court because it does not involve oil, christian rights or the removal of further freedoms for our own protection.

See if we get scared enough we just might allow everything the constitution provides us to be stripped away, just so long as we have a common enemy to keep away and to flag wave against, and our president speaks to us in a comforting "Gomer Pyle" sorta way that convinces most of us that he could never be malicious or anything but a "good ol' boy", and although oil company profits are at an all time high, Brad and Anjoline are a much more important story for us to consume than his connection to the oil barons getting rich on his war and rumors of further wars.

UGGGG...

nevermind...at least the Thai's did not put up with being sold down the river by their "Leaders" and as messed up as things often are here ya gotta respect their unwillingness to accept complete ownership of thier country for profit. Or perhaps consumerism has just not reached deep enough into the national psyche here to allow these things so long as they can afford satalitte tv, foreign wines and major chain store marketing.

good thing... and its not that a genuine copy costs alot.... the prof version is like 6000 baht in Panthip, so its worth it... or get a random key generator that makes new keys, and maybe get lucky...

I personally prefer to pay the 6000 Baht, and no, its not for the technical support, but that poor guy Bill Gates also needs to get some food on the table...

hehe

SD

A Windows Genuine Advantage pop-up nags perpetrators...

(this may haqppened to you too)

Windows Genuine Advantage

PC owners "running a copy of Windows that has failed the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process" will see:

It appears that you could be a victim of software piracy. The copy of Windows installed on this computer is not considered to be genuine by Microsoft."

And they'll keep on seeing it until their computers are running "genuine Microsoft Windows".

They'll have two choices.

Click Resolve now or, click Remind me later.

There's also the dreaded Balloon Notification

"After you log on to a non-genuine copy of Windows XP, you receive a balloon notification message in the notification area that is specific to the validation failure. You can click the balloon notification or the notification area icon to open the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Failure Web page. This Web page gives you the specifics of the validation failure and the steps that you can take to make the operating system genuine."

Then the pervasive Desktop Banner Text which'll appear if perpetrators (or victims) choose Remind me later.

In that case, the following banner text appears on the "locked desktop":

"The copy of Windows installed on this computer is not considered to be genuine by Microsoft.

Luckily, if you had system restore running you could roll back the changes.

Hopefully, the remedy is on the way. (please PM me the details of the work around)

Thank you Condo-bkk about the idea off roll back .

i got the download from microsoft yesterday , and got the surprise this morning .

did the restore and everything back to normal , stop the auto updates !