I would like to open an account with Bangkok Bank. The nearest branch to me is 60 kilos from where I live, and they don't speak English. Would I be allowed to open an account with the branch at Paragon in Bangkok? or do I have to open an account with the branch nearest my home? I read good reports about the manager at the Paragon branch here on this forum recently.

You can open an account at any branch in Thailand but you may be restricted in some services that are required to be done at the main branch your account was created when using another branch.

Thanks, I do go to Bangkok from time to time, so if anything has to be done at the bank my account is at, that should not be too much of a problem.

You can do most Bangkok Bank things via Internet Banking.

Yes, that's what I will do. I have a Kasikorn Bank account just now, and when I tried to get online banking, they gave me a lot of hassle. I will go to Bangkok next week and hopefully open an account with the Bangkok Bank.

Bangkok bank is generally much harder for foreigners to get internetbanking then Kasikorn!

You will need at least a 1 year extension on your visa, or a workpermit.

And make sure they register the account as "resident". If not you will not be able to activate internet banking!

Also make sure you register your account in the same province as where you live/use the account, or you will pay extra "inter province" fees on every deposit or withdrawal!

Bangkok bank is generally much harder for foreigners to get internetbanking then Kasikorn!

And make sure they register the account as "resident". If not you will not be able to activate internet banking!

Also make sure you register your account in the same province as where you live/use the account, or you will pay extra "inter province" fees on every deposit or withdrawal!

Sorry but that is rubbish, all you need to ask for is a B1st account to get internet Banking

Also no bank charges you to withdraw money from your own account, I think you are confusing that with transfers to other accounts

And be aware if a joint account you can not set up internet banking via ATM. And branch may insist as a foreigner you can not set up at all (as happened to me only last year here in Bangkok where they should know better).

Sorry but that is rubbish, all you need to ask for is a B1st account to get internet Banking

Also no bank charges you to withdraw money from your own account, I think you are confusing that with transfers to other accounts

Not true, on both your remarks.

If you withdraw funds from an ATM (the way most people draw cash on their accounts I would guess) in a different province then where your account is opened, you WILL be charged a fee.

Go to :http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/WEBSERVICES/HELPCENTER/Pages/FeeTable.aspx

scroll down to ATM services and you'll see

• Inter-region Bangkok Bank ATM cash withdrawal 15Bt per transaction

Bangkok Bank has strict rule as to who it allows internet banking. People on a tourist visa will NOT get internet banking, eventhough they will get a be1st ATM card.

Trying to use that card online or at an ATM to activate your iBanking will result in an error (unsuficient information).

If you for example have a 1 year extension, or maybe simply a non immigrant visa, it will be registered slightly different in their computer and then you WILL be able to register for iBanking.

Look here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

Confirmed by personal experience.

My apologies, I stand corrected I had no idea that you were charged the fee and I have been with BB for years

Point's noted Mr Geordieman, thanks.

noted, thanks.

And the internet banking issue is also confirmed by a member who works for Bkk bank:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644643-bangkok-bank-question/page-2#entry6496923

We do not allow people to use iBanking who are not living in Thailand, at least part of the year. So we do not give people iBanking on a tourist visa.

No problem, my 2nd ext due in November, I am resident, and have both Thai car and MB licenses ( 5 year) it that counts for anything.

And be aware if a joint account you can not set up internet banking via ATM. And branch may insist as a foreigner you can not set up at all (as happened to me only last year here in Bangkok where they should know better).

Was that the branch at Paragon? I think maybe banks are like immigration offices, they make up their own rules TIT. I did read on this forum that the Manager at Paragon was Farang friendly.

As other members have mentioned taking care of certain account issues or problems at other than the branch you opened the account can be problematic. For some issues you must go to the branch you opened the account at....and if that branch is a l....o....n.....g way off then it can be a pain and lots of unneeded travel. Additionally, you will experience fees when doing certain transfers/ATM withdrawals done outside of your branch's region (I.e., inter region fees). While a debit card is issued no problem when opening an account, getting internet banking can be more challenging depending on what type of visa/extension you have, whether it's a joint or single account, etc. Personally, I would recommend you open an account at Bangkok Bank "in your area" if you are staying in Thailand pretty much full time...or at least a branch you can get to within an hour or two when issues/problems arise...and they will.

• Like 1

And the internet banking issue is also confirmed by a member who works for Bkk bank:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644643-bangkok-bank-question/page-2#entry6496923

We do not allow people to use iBanking who are not living in Thailand, at least part of the year. So we do not give people iBanking on a tourist visa.

I've got internet banking, applied for it whilst I was on a 30 day exempt stamp. So, it all depends who, and possibly where, you ask for it :)

Was that the branch at Paragon? I think maybe banks are like immigration offices, they make up their own rules TIT. I did read on this forum that the Manager at Paragon was Farang friendly.

No it was not Paragon and yes indeed they often do have very different views from branch to branch.

I've got internet banking, applied for it whilst I was on a 30 day exempt stamp. So, it all depends who, and possibly where, you ask for it smile.png

Indeed!

Friend of mine simply showed a rental contract to prove to the bankmanager he actually lived here on and of, and he promptly activated the internet banking.

Go to the next branch and you likely will not get anywhere without Work Permit!

Welcome to Thailand!

But Bangkok Bank does have a directive, clearly posted on their website, that for "advanced" functions such as internet banking and cheque books, you need to be more then just a visitor.

Kasikorn for example has no such requirements! Once you get an atm card from them you can activate everything through ATM without talking to anybody!

I opened my Bangkok Bank account years ago at the main branch on Silom. Other than the infrequent requirement to go to the main branch to update information - such as a new passport number - I have had a very positive experience with Bangkok Bank. No problem with signing up with internet banking and I just started using my debit card more frequently to avoid running to the ATM all the time. In addition, I have found the security of using Bangkok Bank to be better than banking institutions in the US. Every time I log-in to my internet account, an email is sent to me to make me aware of activity on my account. In addition, for a 10 baht fee, you can get an sms for each time your debit card is used or a deposit or withdrawal from your account is made IF the transaction exceeds 500 baht. If you have a problem, you can contact customer service and find a person who is an excellent speaker of English as well. Thanks to the others who have educated me about other service charge issues.

You can do most Bangkok Bank things via Internet Banking.

I opened mine at the Emporium branch, but anywhere you like. After that I do pretty much everything online.

In the case of rare problems (always my fault) I find them extremely helpful and all staff speak good English.

As other members have mentioned taking care of certain account issues or problems at other than the branch you opened the account can be problematic. For some issues you must go to the branch you opened the account at....and if that branch is a l....o....n.....g way off then it can be a pain and lots of unneeded travel. Additionally, you will experience fees when doing certain transfers/ATM withdrawals done outside of your branch's region (I.e., inter region fees). While a debit card is issued no problem when opening an account, getting internet banking can be more challenging depending on what type of visa/extension you have, whether it's a joint or single account, etc. Personally, I would recommend you open an account at Bangkok Bank "in your area" if you are staying in Thailand pretty much full time...or at least a branch you can get to within an hour or two when issues/problems arise...and they will.

There is a Bangkok bank about 60 Ks from where I stay, but they don't speak English, I do go to Bangkok several times a year. about the problems you say which will arrive, that's why I want online banking. The Kasikorn Bank where I stay did not refuse me online banking, they just messed me around so much I told them to forget it.

I also found out only when withdrawing cash in a different province, but only 15 km away from my home branch!

Just being over the border between provinces can be enough to get charged that fee!

To with draw cash from another province is only 15 Baht, and I only do that once or twice a month.

I opened up A bank account with Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok.I just showed them my passport and an address,and money.

Yup, no problem at all.

It's just getting the internet banking that can be more problematic...

It is online banking I want, I am resident in Thailand on retirement extensions, have Thai motorbike and car licenses. Also Bangkok bank has a branch in London which could be an advantage when I want to transfer money from my UK bank account.

I opened up A bank account with Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok.I just showed them my passport and an address,and money.

Yup, no problem at all.

It's just getting the internet banking that can be more problematic...

What did you use for proof of your address? a copy of the house blue book?

I opened my Bangkok Bank account years ago at the main branch on Silom. Other than the infrequent requirement to go to the main branch to update information - such as a new passport number - I have had a very positive experience with Bangkok Bank. No problem with signing up with internet banking and I just started using my debit card more frequently to avoid running to the ATM all the time. In addition, I have found the security of using Bangkok Bank to be better than banking institutions in the US. Every time I log-in to my internet account, an email is sent to me to make me aware of activity on my account. In addition, for a 10 baht fee, you can get an sms for each time your debit card is used or a deposit or withdrawal from your account is made IF the transaction exceeds 500 baht. If you have a problem, you can contact customer service and find a person who is an excellent speaker of English as well. Thanks to the others who have educated me about other service charge issues.

Thanks mate, that's very helpful.