Would you fight for Thailand?

Deserted

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quaint to pay off coppers as a way of life until you need them to actually do their jobs. The negatives just eventually outweighed the positives, least of which was the realisation that Thailand will never be my country in any way. I will always be a visitor.

So fight for what?

If you're looking to get silly you had better go back to from where you came, because the cops don't need you and man they expect the same.

Bob Dylan ---Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

Huh? Get silly?

As for the cops. Yes, they are useless. I should have said legal system. Just look at the Chinese girl molested in phuket.

How would one live with oneself if that was ones daughter, and the punishment was a suspended sentence.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Thais as a rule look down on foreigners, that's their prerogative. I have some great friends there, but as a rule, have run out of love for the place and most of the people.

I owe the place nothing, and have left. Fair deal. I was there for 18 years and realised I was no closer to being accepted than the day I got there. I was just a farang.

Without my contribution several Thais would now be dead, one wouldn't have got his degree and 3 owe their successful careers to be getting them jobs up front.

How many are truly grateful? A couple.

Thais look down on foreigners, and many foreigners look down on Thais. With the disrespect I see for Thais on this board, could that have anything to do with it? I don't know very many Thais personally, but those I do I really like. I would come closer to saying that I don't trust Thais until I get to know them, but the same is true everywhere I go. I do see more deliberate rip-offs and scams and tea money than I see in the US by far. Would an American woman marry for money? Many would, but the stakes would be higher. Would she later dump the guy for a big settlement? Yep.

I'm going to say that I believe that many farangs go to Thailand to take advantage of Thais. Farangs are seen as wealthier and can attract a woman half their age. Is there any surprise that this is resented by many? I have seen farangs of all countries be rude to Thai food servers. I think we all pay the price for those who came before us.

If Thais don't like farangs, I think the farangs are at least partly to blame. Who likes anyone who tries to buy his way through life with extra money, and who thinks he is superior and entitled because of it?

Well I don't fit most of those stereotypes.

I know hundreds of Thais, and came when I was 21. My wife has 30 cousins by direct relatives. I don't think I look down in Thai people and try to avoid sweeping statements as I made above. I do feel that Thailand is becoming more nationalistic and I don't like it.

I genuinely feel sorry for the situation that the country is in, and worry it's all going to go very pear shaped like 97. I'm just lucky I can leave.

• Like 1

Thaiatheart, please do not put me in the same bracket as your 4th paragraph above, although I accept you haven't made tat allusion. But I am questioning the statement by you and others you gain nothing from Thailand

Here is my statement on this subject.

All my income, except for money earned on savings interest, I obtain from abroad as pensions, which I have worked for most of my life. (No applause, please). And not expecting any medals. Thats how I get my income, just stating my case.

I qualify to stay here under the imposed Immigration regulations for retirement and spend all my income in Thailand and most of what I have left over I deposit in Thai bank accounts as savings, some for a rainy day, medical, unexpected events and so on.

In exchange I can live in Thailand for cheaper and enjoy a better standard of living and lifestyle than in my own country. So it`s a mutual benefit thing, I bring and spend foreign money into Thailand in exchange for a decent living here. In other words it`s give and take and I pay my way. What Thailand has given me is, the pleasure of allowing me to stay here, but I have and still do pay for everything, fully independent. The old saying in Thailand, no money, no honey is spot on.

Yes, I could say that over the years, Thailand has housed me, fed me, given me medical care when needed and educated my kids, in which I appreciate and deeply grateful. But again, I have paid for this; probably well over the odds farang prices on most occasions. But, going back to the original question, would you fight for Thailand? My answer is, only as a citizen and made to feel that I really belong here, not just as a wannabe or make believe Im a valid part of Thai society. That`s not enough if I had to consider placing my life on the line for a cause worth fighting for.

This is the only way I can explain, and sorry if it`s too complex for you to take in and understand.

In short; thanks but no thanks !

Yes, This is my home!!

You reckon ? Oooooops your Thai thumbsup.gif . If not,for sure it is where you rest your head but..........................facepalm.gif

Yes Thailand is my home, I have an excellent wife, great in-laws, a good life, a paid off house, great Thai family and friends that I find worth fighting for.

I fought for the U.S. at the time of wide-spread segregation, and racial prejudice, which had to legislate equal rights for ALL of it citizens 200 years after the birth of the land of the free.

Mohamed Ali the Heavyweight Champion, stood by his principals (when refusing conscription) saying "Those Viet-Cong never called me N####R" I always admired him for that. I joined the service because that was one of the only jobs open to me.

You may question your decision of what you have in Thailand is not worth fighting for, but do not question mine (it is worth fighting for)

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

I would only fight for Thailand if it was to defend my family. However, if there was a revolution, where the poor rose up against the rich and corrupt; count me in.

So your communist then ?....whistling.gif

he did not mention which side.

I would only fight for Thailand if it was to defend my family. However, if there was a revolution, where the poor rose up against the rich and corrupt; count me in.

So your communist then ?....whistling.gif

he did not mention which side.

of course but suggesting he would support the violent overthrow of a "democratically elected" goverment cetainly smells rather "Red" to me, of course he could be facist also...

I would but I don't have a work permit so cannot

Lucky for me I read through the posts!! I was going to post the almost exact same thing? I wonder if they would give people on overstay an amnesty? (that was not a serious question before anybody starts giving it large!!)

Interesting responses, I started fighting for people's freedom in Viet Nam. Sadly my own government did not have the spine to finish the job. I was 17 when I first went there. I learned at that young age that freedom is what allows people to become what they want. Doesn't matter if they want to be an advanced culture moving into the space age or they just want to be farmers. In the 25 years of my time with the Navy and Marine Corps I went to other places to help people in gaining their freedom.

I am old and worn out but i someone asks me to help gain their freedom, I will still give of myself for them to gain their freedom. Not their government, but the common people. Not the country but the common people in the country.

How they manage their freedom is their choice.

Unfortunately, you may fight for their freedom but afterwards you will still never be accepted. Take a look at your Visa wording.

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

I fought for another country.. They were very happy and I still get treated nicely when i visit. EWould i get the same from Thailand? Probably not but there again, when I fought before I didn't do it for a big thank you, I did it because it was the right thing to do way back then. I would probably fight for Thailand but not if it was up against my home country (or my second home country). Or maybe I would just b*llox and take my missus and go somewhere else and chill out!!!

Interesting responses, I started fighting for people's freedom in Viet Nam.

That's a rather absurdly simplistic way of describing the American war in Vietnam. I was fighting back then too ... on the streets with the likes of John Kerry.

post-37101-0-78279100-1381049179_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Thaiatheart, please do not put me in the same bracket as your 4th paragraph above, although I accept you haven't made tat allusion. But I am questioning the statement by you and others you gain nothing from Thailand

Thais as a rule look down on foreigners, that's their prerogative. I have some great friends there, but as a rule, have run out of love for the place and most of the people.

I owe the place nothing, and have left. Fair deal. I was there for 18 years and realised I was no closer to being accepted than the day I got there. I was just a farang.

Without my contribution several Thais would now be dead, one wouldn't have got his degree and 3 owe their successful careers to be getting them jobs up front.

How many are truly grateful? A couple.

A couple means you are in credit karma wise - you've done good and changed lives for the better - that is reward indeed.

Depends. What are the hours?

(I wouldn't fight for any country.)

hehehe reminds me of Spike Milligan's book - Adolf Hitler - My Part in his downfall.

He begins his months in military training at Bexhill-on-Sea. It starts with Milligan joining his regiment (56th Heavy Regiment Royal Artillery) late, and immediately being singled out as a troublemaker. He learns disrespect for certain officers within a few sentences, and commences sniping:

"I suppose," said Suitcase, "you know you are three months late arriving?"

"I'll make up for it sir, I'll fight nights as well!"

Edited by cpofc
  • Like 2

Yes or No is easy to say as I sit safely in front of my computer monitor. However, how bad would the world situation have to be for Thailand to go to war? If it get's to the point of foreigners being asked to bear arms to protect Thailand, the rest of the world has already gone to hell.

• Like 1