Field of vision test for monocular driving

thailauren

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had been asked to do the field of vision test for monocular vision driving. (Driving with sight in only one eye)

Since i suffer from this the DL office has asked me to get this special doctor cert.

Have bee driving with license for over 13 years in my home country.

I did get my 1st one year DL and now when i went to get the 5 year extension they asked for this.

If anyone has any experience in getting this i would appreciate.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I cannot comment on the doctors certificate but I am generally impressed with how they treat people with disabilites att the driving centre.

In my case though I did not need to do a driving test by the book as I had an existing licence they made me do one and checked that I was capable of operating the car. Much less of a problem than they give in my home country.

This is not really an answer to your question but a totally unsolicited opinion. Since retiring I've lost much of the vision in one eye and I decided to stop driving. If I were back in the US I would have continued and made it a point to drive at times and in places where there was less traffic.

If you're in a rural area, this may not be so important, but in urban areas like Pattaya where I stay or Bangkok or CM, the vehicular traffic, motorcycles everywhere, pedestrians, tuk-tuks, food vendors, school children ... I decided the convenience of being able to drive was not as important as the increased risk for others if I insisted on driving. I'm pretty sure in your country things were not so chaotic. In most places in Thailand it's cheap enough to use some other form of transport or, as I've done, have someone else drive me. I would feel horrible if I injured someone because my field of vision was limited and, aside from regretting that happening, the consequences for you as a foreign driver could be pretty bad too.

Sorry if that comes across as pontificating. I've driven for over 45 years in places in Pakistan, Africa, the UAE and the US and sometimes miss it, and other times enjoy sitting back and letting someone else deal with the chaos.

Excellent, (sensible) conclusion. I have just recently lost an eye and have decided that it is not worth the risk to continue driving. I have had a life-time of excellent vision and have driven everything imaginable- airplanes, dirt-bikes, trucks,... but, now I think I will "let-it-go" and find other means of transportation and let others deal with all the chaos, risks, stress and dangers. If, however, I am in a rural setting- (no traffic!) and have a little motorbike at my disposal, I would enjoy a little putt-putt to enjoy some scenery. smile.png