Any flooding in Pattaya now or expected in the next day?

yougivemebaby

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This website helps me but I don't see that they report on floods as they happen. Perhaps someone can point out where they do if they do. They do warn about storms.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

Thanks. Good website. Birds are flyin around all crazy. I think a storms a brewin. Time to get some drinks and have a party with me myself and I. haha

The past 2 days it has been raining continuously here in East Pattaya. The water in my swimming pool is about 15 cm above the edge.

15cm ABOVE the edge?

Strange things are going on on the Darkside...strange things indeed!

• Like 1

Had about an average of 21/2 inches on the dark side for the last 3 to 4 days, just looked up the Thai weather and they forecast heavy rain for the next 3 days to heavy to medium for the remainder of the week. Have to siphon the fish tank again, been doing it every day with this weather. Oddly enough it seems to run somewhere, glad I'm not at that somewhere.

Go to this site, click on Eastern and click onto Pattaya.

http://au.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdMrMWFFSNm8AZw436At.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWgwN285BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11c1qf0m4/EXP=1381091660/**http%3a//www.tmd.go.th/en/

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

...and further to that, unless you're a shop owner, flash floods are a day of fun and curiosity for most tourists.

i have friends (tourists) here now from Uraguay since last Monday

30 hours+ in Transit to get here

i can tell you that their feelings on the current weather in Pattaya are not remotely associated to fun and curiosity

i suspect they will not be alone either, i expect most tourists feel exactly the same

i mean who goes on holiday and has fun in constant rain?

Utter nonsense Tropo

The flash flooding around the streets after heavy rain dissipates rapidly.

it might be where you live on a high floor condo on the face of a hill but not where i live in a house on the darkside

roads remain flooded and can be un-passable for many hours

just because all is well in Tropoworld does not mean its the same for everyone

...and further to that, unless you're a shop owner, flash floods are a day of fun and curiosity for most tourists.

i can tell you that their feelings on the current weather in Pattaya are not remotely associated to fun and curiosity

i suspect they will not be alone either, i expect most tourists feel exactly the same

Utter nonsense Tropo

Constant rain isn't fun indeed, but the flush floods in a middle of a hot and sunny week are fun. It's not the case at the moment unfortunately, I have a brother and a buddy came to visit, the first time in Thailand and it's pouring all the time, on top of that it was me who suggested they come in October as it's still a low season with not too many tourists... :(

• Like 1

it might be where you live on a high floor condo on the face of a hill but not where i live in a house on the darkside

It's not just in Tropoworld, many areas in Patts don't have high standing water, it seems you're in one of the low laying area.

I've never really understood why people choose to live in areas that are subject to flooding when other areas nearby never get flooded.

Certainly when I picked my condo building I did so based on it being near to shops and bahtbus routes, and not being at all subject to flooding (unless perhaps we get a 30m high tidal wave).

But I recall that in 2011 several condo buildings have been flooded in Pattaya. It's easy to choose a location near baht bus routes and shops, it's however not so easy to find out if an area will be flooded or not, unless you of course you monitor that area for an entire rain season, but even then circumstances can change after you moved in.

Where I live in East Pattaya there hasn't been any flooding in the past 4 years, not even water excessive water on the road, just the water in my pool piling up biggrin.png

Utter nonsense Tropo

You just can't help yourself, can you Blackman? You just have to flame don't you? (the correct way to respond is to say that you don't agree and then offer your reason)

I believe I was talking about "flash floods". These are hardly ever caused by "constant rain", but extremely heavy rain over a short period.

Apart from that, the flash flooding is fun for a lot of people, as long as they don't have affected businesses or their travel plans aren't affected (like getting here or back to the airport).

I've never minded it one bit. It's fascinating to see streets turn to rivers and I'm not the only one. As long as the water isn't too high I enjoy riding my bike through it.

Edited by tropo

to put the record straight for all of you

i do not live an immediate area that is subject to flooding unless you count the Darkside as an area close to my house

i live on a hill and all the water goes past my door

to avoid it i simply go up the hill and another way into town

condo living, no thanks

I'll give you a hint. I live in Central Pattaya. I'm talking about the streets in the tourist area. We have a lot of choices of streets to get around flashflooded areas. I don't have any idea what happens in Blackmanworld and I imagine it's nothing exciting, but relax and try to see things in context.

It's not just in Tropoworld, many areas in Patts don't have high standing water, it seems you're in one of the low laying area.

edit deleted after rimmers warning

Edited by blackman

Wow! Whatever it is you're having I want some of it. Maybe something for the TAT to promote as a new campaign:

"Come to Thailand and experience days of fun and curiosity sitting on your hotel balcony watching the river that was once a road!"

The rainy season was far too dry until the last 2 days of September, the last flash floods were as far back as in June. What a turnaround, though, 2 days with rain in excess of 100 mm per day, and 1 more with even more than 200 mm. Worse than the floods in September 2011. The Thai meteo website is good for nothing anymore, better go to the Weather Underground. It has 2 stations in Pattaya independent from the Thai one, 1 on Jomtien Beach next to the police building, 1 on the dark side. Updates every ten minutes of temperature, wind direction and speed, pressure, rainfall, and weather maps. Also detailed statistics. When you compare the records of Jomtien and the dark side, it's surprising by how much the weather differs for locations just a few miles apart. The dark side is hotter and has less wind, but gets twice as much rain in the year.

The junctions of the major streets were bad. Pattaya Klang and 3ed road. Soi bukhao at soi LK metro. The best method I use is look at the asian satellite weather map. The last few days it showed quite a string of storm areas running east to west that were moving slowly across the region. That is why we had pretty steady drizzle and rain. kind of unusual as I usually see more intense shorter duration rain here. The weather sattelite is the best large scale prediction I can see. Locally, expect a night rain when the air cools and the moisture condenses out.

But I recall that in 2011 several condo buildings have been flooded in Pattaya. It's easy to choose a location near baht bus routes and shops, it's however not so easy to find out if an area will be flooded or not, unless you of course you monitor that area for an entire rain season, but even then circumstances can change after you moved in.

I disagree. The condos that flooded in 2011 were (as far as I remember) underground garages and such-like. It doesnt take much common sense to work out that underground garages in areas that are largely flat (ie behind The Avenue) stand a very good chance of flooding at some point. The same applies to places at the bottom of a slope.

My condo is built on a slope and there is direct line of flow from the car park straight to Jomtien beach. So it should come as no surprise that the road downstream from my place regularly floods but my condo and car park never do. I see no reason why this should ever change and this was one of the things I took into account when I selected my building. It seemed pretty obvious to me.

I disagree. The condos that flooded in 2011 were (as far as I remember) underground garages and such-like. It doesnt take much common sense to work out that underground garages in areas that are largely flat (ie behind The Avenue) stand a very good chance of flooding at some point. The same applies to places at the bottom of a slope.

My condo is built on a slope and there is direct line of flow from the car park straight to Jomtien beach. So it should come as no surprise that the road downstream from my place regularly floods but my condo and car park never do. I see no reason why this should ever change and this was one of the things I took into account when I selected my building. It seemed pretty obvious to me.

You are correct that it was the condo buildings behind the Avenue., but would you have considered one year prior to the flooding that those particular condo buildings would be flooded ?

I also have a feeling that you bought your condo shortly after the 2011 flooding, and had the condo's I mention in your mind when you made your choice.

Wow! Whatever it is you're having I want some of it. Maybe something for the TAT to promote as a new campaign:

"Come to Thailand and experience days of fun and curiosity sitting on your hotel balcony watching the river that was once a road!"

There's no need to exaggerate. These floods happen maybe a couple of times a year. Really bad ones maybe only once every 3 or 4 years. The streets recover very quickly. It's nothing like regular flooding which goes on for days or weeks.

Edited by tropo