T-Mobile Galaxy S3 / AIS 3G problem

Dork

I have a friend that has just moved to BKK from the US. He brought his T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with him and bought a One2Call SIM card and a 3G package. However the phone only shows the "E" icon for Edge and won't make a 3G connection. He has spoken with the AIS helpdesk who have tried to help but so far no success.

I have a Lumia 920 on AIS postpaid. When I put the One2Call SIM in the lumia 3G works fine. Also when I put the AIS SIM into the Galaxy 3G (H or H+) also work fine (strangely the Galaxy shows a 4G icon) and speedtest results are fine.

The only combination where 3G won't work is the One2Call SIM in the Galaxy. I guess the APN etc. must be set correctly because 3G works with the AIS postpaid.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

Assuming the model no; is SGH-T999, and that it is unlocked, it seems like it should work on AIS/One-2-Call's3G/2100 MHz network, provided there is coverage and the unit is properly configured. Maybe manually configure the APN, add value and subscribe to a 3G plan.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

It would also work with CAT/TrueMove/850 MHz, TrueMove H (2100 MHz) and DTAC/Happy (850/2100 MHz). It will not work with AIS's 900 MHz/3G network.

Assuming the model no; is SGH-T999, and that it is unlocked, it seems like it should work on AIS/One-2-Call's3G/2100 MHz network, provided there is coverage and the unit is properly configured. Maybe manually configure the APN, add value and subscribe to a 3G plan.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

It would also work with CAT/TrueMove/850 MHz, TrueMove H (2100 MHz) and DTAC/Happy (850/2100 MHz). It will not work with AIS's 900 MHz/3G network.

Aha thanks. From your last sentence I realised that SIM card was still on the 900MHz network. I had assumed that because it was purchased recently it would already be on the 2100MHz network but apparently that was wrong.

Anyway, I upgraded it to 2100MHz and it's working perfectly so thanks again.

Strange that the phone shows that it is connected to 4G. Doesn't matter though.

Strange that the phone shows that it is connected to 4G.

I suspect this is merely an anomaly of this model/firmware/baseband? Since it is on 3G (here in Thailand) and/or 2100 MHz it assumes it is on T-Mo's "4G" network, even though that runs on AWS (1700 x 2100), or re-farmed 1900 MHz..

AIS Freedom 2100 MHz SIMs are labeled as such, and relatively ubiquitous in the retails channels now.