Home Schooling On US Curriculum

SaamBaht

Hello,

I'm considering home schooling with an online service from the US called Progress Academy. It was recommended by an American who has taught in Thailand for many years but chose to home school his children. The cost is low at about a thousand US dollars a year. I was curious who else might have decided to home school their children and how that is going. Any opinions on the service I'm using are welcomed. Link below.

I'm also thinking of combining the home school approach with a Thai school opened to accept my children part time to learn Thai and other essentials in the Thai education system. Home schooling takes about half or less of a school day I'm told. Other than Thai what would you consider important to learn at a Thai school?

Thank you for responding to this query.

http://www.progressacademy.org/

• 2 weeks later...

I might consider this blend method you are talking about, but I would tell the child not to worry at all about the grades in the Thai classes. It would just be for social interactions and cultural broadening. Then, of course, I'd try to get him into a good college in the US after the home schooling was completed.

One thing to consider would be where he will sit his SAT's, seeing though you are aiming for college in the US (you will also need to get some decent extra curricula activities to include on the application if you are aiming for a decent college). Just check at some of the private and international schools near you, as it is likely there will be one or two that are registered test centers. They will just charge you a fee for him to come there on test day - no need to enroll at the school or anything like that.

Another thing you will need to know is your childrens schedules, which will often change for no reason. The Thai specific classes will be mixed through out the day not in a block of only a few hours. This means you will be having to teach your kids at home for at least 3 hours a day after they have finished at the school. I will be surprised if the school will set a schedule to suit you and the kids only. I hope they can,so you have half a day with your kids at home and half at school but I doubt it. The Thai class will start in the morning and your kids will be waiting for the next class which will most likely be the last class of the day and then you will have to fill in the gaps til late when you take them home. Either completely home teach or put them full-time into school with you giving extra at the weekends for a few hours.