Rules to be set for foreign drivers renting cars

khwaibah

"After receiving numerous complaints from local people about foreign tourists..."

Yet another "blame the foreigner" campaign.

you must not come into the city much.

I have to actively avoid atleast 2 tourist per day.

They should add to the law and make it mandatory for all biking/motorbiking tourist to wear yellow helmets also, for easy identification.

You must not have seen how Thais drive in the city. To say foreigners are worse drivers is absurd.

Thailand blames foreigners for every problem.

• Like 1

"After receiving numerous complaints from local people about foreign tourists..."

What is your complain about? To me it sounds like they're stating the facts, and the fact is the Chinese are horrible drivers for the most part.

!

And the Thais are better?

you must not come into the city much.

I have to actively avoid atleast 2 tourist per day.

They should add to the law and make it mandatory for all biking/motorbiking tourist to wear yellow helmets also, for easy identification.

You must not have seen how Thais drive in the city. To say foreigners are worse drivers is absurd.

Thailand blames foreigners for every problem.

Where did i say foreigners are worse drivers?

Not all thai drivers are bad, the population density is just higher than where you came from, so it appears that way.

@ mesquite

I've seen a lot more bad Chinese drivers than Thais.

In Chiangmai, seriously?

How is that possible with so many awful Thai drivers on the roads everyday. Ah, I guess you are talking about Shanghai.

Edited by Thailand

Am I the only one that noticed this line in the news report?

complaints stemmed from foreign tourists from Europe, America, and Asia but especially the large influx of Chinese tourists that don’t follow traffic signs, drive the wrong way and cause traffic jams and accidents.

Given some of the behaviours of our Chinese visitors that I and my friends have witnessed around Chiang Mai this is well overdue.

If the problem is the recent influx of Chinese nationals causing accidents, then the solution is simple. Do not accept chinese DLs. Isn't that how car rentals operate in China? No Chinese DL, no self drive rental.

From my limited observations in the city, I also think they shouldn't allow bicycle rentals to Chinese nationals. "Accidents waiting to happen" IMHO

I'd also ban the rental of motorbikes to ANYONE without a m/c DL......

Just my thoughts.......

• Like 1

Things ive had to avoid, strictly related to either Chinese or Japanese tourist (cant tell)

1) riding extremely slow in middle of road.

2) sudden lane changes, without looking.

3) sudden right turns from far left lane.

4) in middle of road, going the complete opposite direction of traffic to make a passed turn.

5) parked on the right side of the road around the moat.

6) congregating on side of road effectively blocking 'p aths' for other bikes.

7) walking across a road without looking first

it's bad and sorry to say it is worse from the Chinese/Japanese....Thai people do not come close to the havoc these tourist are causing. They dont mean to do it, they just dont know where they are and forget to look before trying to catch a turn. Except for the ones that intentionally ride against flow of traffic to make a short cut.

considering that most thai drivers either dont have a licence, paid a "cash" gift for it if they do or have never done a driving test/know the actual road rules this is a joke. Just because the overseas renters actually obey the road rules which interefers with the way locals never respect the road laws and make them up as they go doesnt mean they need to be checked, would be better if the police actually made sure the locals have driving licences or know the road laws but this would put probably around 80% of thai drivers off the road which would definitely make driving a lot better hereclap2.gif

• Like 1

Things ive had to avoid, strictly related to either Chinese or Japanese tourist (cant tell)

4) in middle of road, going the complete opposite direction of traffic to make a passed turn.

it's bad and sorry to say it is worse from the Chinese/Japanese....Thai people do not come close to the havoc these tourist are causing. They dont mean to do it, they just dont know where they are and forget to look before trying to catch a turn. Except for the ones that intentionally ride against flow of traffic to make a short cut.

You can take it that they are Chinese .Japanese in general are good drivers and need to pass a real test to get a licence .

your taking the mickey obviouslty as this is exactly what thai drivers/riders do all the time. This morning I turned into a one way street and was almost hit by a thai driver coming the wrong way, this happens all the time as thais do not like having to take a longer route if they can avoid it and ignore the rules to do so. Mate, a good police force would take the licences of nearly all thai people due to their ignorance of the road rules, then you have all the underage drivers/riders to deal with as well. Thais do not understand one way, indicators, any road rules, double lines, that mirrors are not there purely to pick your pimples and that you do not have right of way because you are impatient/arrogant or drive a nice car(rich)

@ mesquite

I've seen a lot more bad Chinese drivers than Thais.

In Chiangmai, seriously?

How is that possible with so many awful Thai drivers on the roads everyday. Ah, I guess you are talking about Shanghai.

No, I'm talking in general. In Thailand there would obviously be more bad Thai drivers than any other nationalities, JUST BECAUSE more Thais live in Thailand than Chinese... duh...rolleyes.gif

Your argument would be "But we're talking about the CM!!" Well, Thais get along with each other just fine and most Westerners can fairly quickly adopt to the Thai ways, now throw a bunch of Chinese in there and all the hell breaks loose...

• Like 1