Want to move-'o' visa questions...

All right...

I've checked around the internet to solve my dilemma, but answers haven't been too forthcoming, and some seem contradictory

I'm 25 in the US in California right now, and my wife, who is Thai, whom I married here, will move back to Thailand when I finish my next semester of classes and I intend to come with her to live in Bangkok in January.  She lives with her mother, who has already arranged a room for me at their house.

I am currently a student with a small income, and would like to look for work once I enter, but some sites claim you need a diploma to obtain a work permit (for something besides teaching English), and others simply say you need a resume in thai.  I could possibly obtain the 200,000 baht to transfer to a Thai bank and claim her as a dependent, but probably not for more than once.  It seems my best bet is to go to the Thai embassy in Los Angeles and try to come in on an 'O' Visa for 90 days and try to obtain one year extensions, but I'm not sure what my options are-I've read about coming in as a dependent of a Thai person (my wife?  Her mother?) and the Thai Consulate in Washington page  lists a type of O visa that falls under 'family reunion' which I thought might also apply. Any clarification or help on any of these points would be greatly appreciated....

First advise would be to reconsider the move (and continue the school).  Your chance of finding a real job here with no special experience to offer is slim at best.  Both of you would stand to make considerably more income somewhere in the US than here.  It may seem ok now but in a few years, when you have no choice (and no savings) believe you will both regret this decision.

You can obtain class 'O' non-immigrant visa and should be able to get a multi entry type with just your marriage that will allow you to stay 90 days at a time for up to 15 months before a new one is required.  You would not have to put any money into bank for this, unless you want to get a one year extension.

Well, currently I'm working on a Bachelor's Degree, but could leave now with an Associate's Degree, if the certification is a big issue for employment.  I was really more concerned with whether or not I should attempt for the dependent visa and try to juggle my bank account until I can try to get a resident visa (although I don't know how easy/hard that is) or what the restrictions are on either a dependent or "family reunion" O-visa.  Again, thanks to everyone...

You have my feelings that it is a mistake so will just say that BS is the least you should have for much chance of a real career here.  There are exceptions and perhaps your wants can be met but I still think you should give it more thought.

As for the visa and residence.  You can not obtain residence with multi entry type visas so you would have to prove support and extend a "O" visa for three years to even apply.  To prove support they are going to want to see money in the bank and probably the source of that money.  As this is somewhat a gray area you are going to be subject to perception as much as hard rules.  So we probably can not answer your questions very well.

Still, this is more solid advice than I've had so far in my somewhat exhaustive internet searches-Thank you very much.  Will continue from here by harassing my Thai friends here until I can get some sort of lead on my miscellaneous problems.  Thanks again.

without at least 200 to 300 thousand baht in a bank in Thailand there is no chance of a one year extension of

stay.   You will need a letter from your bank evidencing   funds each time you renew. The RTCG in LA is too tough

try Houston.     Your employment prospects are minimal.

Your qualifications and experience are not strong. Stay

home and build on experience and get that degree.

Sorry to add to previous wise caveats    :o

Hmmm....assuming I could get the 200+ thousand baht into a bank, which isn't too unlikely, what are my options for that?  Transfer it to a bank in Thailand?  If it was support from my family, is that viable as a means of 'support'?  I think I read elsewhere in another forum/webpage that I would have to show employment back home in order to stay on top of the bank account but I don't recall specifically.  And on a side note, can you attend school on an O Visa?  On a slightly happier note, I believe I may have solved my educational dilemma, and should have a Bachelor's Degree in Motion Picture and Video by the time I arrive.  So there's that at least....

Select a  Bank in Thailand  and open the account and transfer at least 250k to that bank from the US. Your wife's family can send you the paperwork or you could try Citibank or similar for help. But the funds must come direct into your account from abroad. That 250k translates to about USD 6250.which needs to be in the account when you seek your next extension. How will you support yourself and a wife ?  Your plan seems flawed you are even planning to borrow the required bank monies. Be aware that there are no social security benefits whatsoever. IF you get work it is likely to be on Thai wages which will be hard going for you. No house no effects no income a rethink might be the way to go.

I don't believe any Thai bank is going to open an account without you present in front of them; but that is not a problem as you can enter on a 90 day stay and have until the end of the time to get money into an account.  You have not told why wife is moving back to Thailand.  Perhaps if she is from an important family you/she will receive help.  If not, would think you both could do better to live/study/work in US for awhile.  If you do not have support/contacts you most likely will only be able to find a job teaching English.  This can be ok/good for those that like teaching but is unlikely to be much of an income earner unless you are at the top of the class.  As you don't have any work experience would not recommend it as a first job.

Well, unfortunately, the reason my wife wants to go back is she doesn't want to live in the US!!!  Since I don't want to make her stay, I'm willing to go along, but it seems like a lot of effort.  I'm willing to try, but as you have said-it's a lot of formalities, and I'm  not really in a place to make it any kind of easy move for the time being.  But I am willing to try the English teacher course, but it's hardly my first choice.  For now, I'm just going to try to see how things work out before I get too enthusiastic about going ahead.  I really can't say enough though, thanks for all your advice-It's a huge step ahead of all of the sifting through people and web pages I've done on my own.  Again-thank you all.