What If We All Disappeared Tomorrow?

klubex99

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look! Another 'they don't appreciate us' thread has turned into an Isaan whore bash... my, how unusual.

Erm..... Since when was this a 'they don't appreciate us' thread?

This thread actually is in response to all the other 'they don't appreciate us' threads. Because it shows statistically what our value here is the Thailand and its economy and what good it brings in relation to employment etc. Rather than just whinging about this and that with no real statistical data, at least this thread opens up the eyes and minds to show many who were not aware of the data.

With regards to Isaan whore bashing. I know someone mentioned Thais working abroad and sending money back to isaan. Since when was that whore bashing? Who said everyone from Isaan is a whore? .... YOU DID! by your very statement.

Look, I know its just gone midnight and you are probably pissed on chang. Which would explain your irrational outburst there.

I hate it when people bash Newcastle Utd, because i like Newcastle United. I hate it when people bash rock music, because I like rock music, I hate it when people bash smoking, because I enjoy smoking..... I can see why you hate it when people bash Isaan whores ;)

There is a huge difference between bashing smoking etc. and racism.

Let's look at things a little differently. There was an article last year that stated there were over 100,000 foreign husbands living JUST IN ISSAN.

"Husbands" = families. Wife, kids, extended families, houses, cars, motorbikes. etc.

Let's estimate they spend an average of 50k baht a month. I'm going "low ball" on this figure, as every one I know here in CNX, including myself, spends well over that.

SO 100,000 x 50,000 = 5,000,000,000 a month x 12 = 60,000,000,000 a year.

And that's just in Issan, and not including the rest of LOS.

BS there was 22 million tourist that came to Thailand in 2012, the biggest year for tourism in Thailand. they spend a lot more money than expats that claim 100 - 200 baht is too expensive for them to visit Thailand's tourist sites, they also complain that the cost of living is becoming to expensive. Most spend their money on Booze and women.

As most tourist are going to be here for a short time, they pay top dollar for every thing, during the high season most of the more expensive hotel are fully occupied, you would need a very large expat community to spend more money than 22 million tourist.

Expat greatly exaggerate their financial contribution to the Thai economy. You leave and some other retiree will move to take you place..

Cheers:wai2.gif

This is absolutely true.

While Thailand has a huge tourism industry if all the expats went home it would not effect GDP in anyway.

Lets not confuse what Tourists spend with what Expats living here spend.

Thailand generates about 70% of GDP from Exports. 7% from tourism.

What expats spend (and most live a fairly frugal existence) doesn't effect Thailand as a whole.

So as kikoman correctly points out "Expat greatly exaggerate their financial contribution to the Thai economy."

This statement is absolutely spot on.

You blokes don't get it.Let me put it this way.If tourist numbers equalled expats(250,000),would they spend more money than us.Over1month,maybe,but then they're gone,and i'm still here spending my pittance.In the next 11months I catch up,if not sooner.Expats also have a wider range to spend their money.No tourists out here spending money down the local shop,school,wat,ect.Direct injection of funds to local communities.Where does tourists money go?

• Like 1

Oh look! Another 'they don't appreciate us' thread has turned into an Isaan whore bash... my, how unusual.

Erm..... Since when was this a 'they don't appreciate us' thread?

This thread actually is in response to all the other 'they don't appreciate us' threads. Because it shows statistically what our value here is the Thailand and its economy and what good it brings in relation to employment etc. Rather than just whinging about this and that with no real statistical data, at least this thread opens up the eyes and minds to show many who were not aware of the data.

With regards to Isaan whore bashing. I know someone mentioned Thais working abroad and sending money back to isaan. Since when was that whore bashing? Who said everyone from Isaan is a whore? .... YOU DID! by your very statement.

Look, I know its just gone midnight and you are probably pissed on chang. Which would explain your irrational outburst there.

I hate it when people bash Newcastle Utd, because i like Newcastle United. I hate it when people bash rock music, because I like rock music, I hate it when people bash smoking, because I enjoy smoking..... I can see why you hate it when people bash Isaan whores wink.png

There is a huge difference between bashing smoking etc. and racism.

So don't be a racist then.

Or is this an apologist in the extreme who is attempting to extract racist commentary from the OP where none exists?

Man.... You apologists really do scrape the bottom of the barrel at times.

BS there was 22 million tourist that came to Thailand in 2012, the biggest year for tourism in Thailand. they spend a lot more money than expats that claim 100 - 200 baht is too expensive for them to visit Thailand's tourist sites, they also complain that the cost of living is becoming to expensive. Most spend their money on Booze and women.

As most tourist are going to be here for a short time, they pay top dollar for every thing, during the high season most of the more expensive hotel are fully occupied, you would need a very large expat community to spend more money than 22 million tourist.

Expat greatly exaggerate their financial contribution to the Thai economy. You leave and some other retiree will move to take you place..

This is absolutely true.

While Thailand has a huge tourism industry if all the expats went home it would not effect GDP in anyway.

What expats spend (and most live a fairly frugal existence) doesn't effect Thailand as a whole.

So as kikoman correctly points out "Expat greatly exaggerate their financial contribution to the Thai economy."

You blokes don't get it.Let me put it this way.If tourist numbers equalled expats(250,000),would they spend more money than us.Over1month,maybe,but then they're gone,and i'm still here spending my pittance.In the next 11months I catch up,if not sooner.Expats also have a wider range to spend their money.No tourists out here spending money down the local shop,school,wat,ect.Direct injection of funds to local communities.Where does tourists money go?

Don't worry about it. I am sure the penny will drop eventually. You have to expect that some are slower than others to understand basic English and some just flat out will never be able to understand it. Then you have the ones who will just read what they want to read between the lines to throw up some pointless argument that they will refuse to let go of..... The rest will just be apologists trolling round the threads.

You totally get it. :)

Edited by klubex99

Klubex99,

Please do not attempt to manipulate what I stated in my post, The question the OP (you) asked was, "What if we all disappeared tomorrow" what effect would it have on the Thai economy,

Your point is that on a one to one bases a expat spends more than a tourist, while I would also dispute that, it was not the question that you as the OP asked, plain and simple!

The underlying message is that the expat population contributes more to the Thai economy that tourism, which no matter how you "extrapolate" it, is not accurate,

Your conservative figure of $500. dollars expat spending per month, a tourist spends that amount on a 5 star hotel room in 2 days.

You are comparing apples to oranges.If an Expat stayed in a 5 star hotel for a year he would obviously spend more.If there were 22million expats we would be spending a lot more than a visa on arrival 1 month tourist( free).Expats are thousands of baht in front before tourists get through immi.

There would be a revolution In Isaan. Definite.

Can you imagine the amount of money that would drain from the province? blink.png

The Isaan bar girl brigade would totter towards BKK on their over sized kitten heels and demand the return of we farangs, and they would be backed by an army of p*ssed of relatives that suddenly had to find jobs.

Has Isaan become a province?

No,it's another world.

This is absolutely true.

Don't worry about it. I am sure the penny will drop eventually. You have to expect that some are slower than others to understand basic English and some just flat out will never be able to understand it. Then you have the ones who will just read what they want to read between the lines to throw up some pointless argument that they will refuse to let go of..... The rest will just be apologists trolling round the threads.

You totally get it. smile.png

"You blokes don't get it"

"No tourists out here spending money down the local shop"

Supporting your local community (whilst admirable) has has nothing to do with GDP (Look into microeconomics)

GDP on the other hand deals with macroeconomics as in Thailand as a whole.

70% GDP exports

7% Tourism Thats 23million tourists.

If Foreign expats went home pales into insignificance becuase you are not grasping the bigger picture.

The fact that you spending money and supporting your community is good but on sheer population and numbers it doesn't effect Thailand as a whole.

This is hypothetical as we are not all going to tomorrow but we should not over state our importance.

This number presented are only tourists. It doesn't include export and exports are massive.

If 23,000 million tourists only account for 7% of GDP what difference do us expats make?

A lot of the new breed of tourists from Russians, Chinese and other emerging economies are dropping bick bucks on their Thai trips. You see see Pattaya lately Centara, Hilton big name 5 star hotels have moved in. Most expats are on pensions. Its delusional to think that if we went home it would make a difference.

...and this is your argument.

"No tourists out here spending money down the local shop"

Read: macroeconomics vs microeconomics

• Like 1

This is absolutely true.

You state that (using your figures) 250,000 western expat, spending $500. (whatever currency) monthly for 12 months = $6000 yearly (Euro) for each of 250,000 expats.

While in 2012 there was a total of 22 million tourist came to Thailand.

The projected tourist numbers for 2013 is 27 million tourist visited Thailand.

So in 2012 in a month average of 1,800,000 tourist visit Thailand each month.

7.5 times as many tourist per month (7.5 tourist per each expat per month).

Using Your projected Tourist visiting Thailand in 2013, 27 million an average 2,200,000. monthly

8.8 as many tourist per expat visit monthly in 2013 (8.8 tourist = 1 expat).

There is no way that 250,000 expats place more money in the Thai economy than Tourism, Tourist are more free spending than expats and in any given month in 2013 there is an average 8.8 tourist to 1 expat, while some expats have an excess of money to spend, most cheap charley expats just barely get by on a monthly budget.

You blokes don"t get it, you math is extremely fuzzy and your number just do not add up right.

And when you finally get it when the penny drops, jump out of the way as those financially challenged expat will grab it before it hits the floor!

• Like 1

If all the tourists dispappeared Thailand would have some problems, but it will never happen. If all us expats disappeared nobody except our nearest families would care at all.

Why would you think that the tourists disappearing would never happen?

One scenario.... What if some radical islamic general in the south decided to have the bright idea to start targeting tourists? Do you think this is an impossible idea? Because I think it could well happen. Nobody knows what they will do down there next, bombings and shootings daily, and neither side are making any headway.

So Mr General decides it's time to turn their attention to tourists and farangs. To obviously hit the economy and force the hand of the government. Or don't you think that these radicals are too decent to do such a nasty thing?

They would clear the entire south of foreigners within weeks, and then go for Pattaya and the North indisriminately murdering expats that remain. After all.... wouldn't be the most difficult campaign to pull off would it?

That could turn LOS into a ghost town.

Obviously god willing it would never happen, but I have thought in the past on more than one occasion that I am actually surprised they haven't got to that stage yet.

This is absolutely true.

You state that (using your figures) 250,000 western expat, spending $500. (whatever currency) monthly for 12 months = $6000 yearly (Euro) for each of 250,000 expats.

Using Your projected Tourist visiting Thailand in 2013, 27 million an average 2,200,000. monthly

There is no way that 250,000 expats place more money in the Thai economy than Tourism, Tourist are more free spending than expats and in any given month in 2013 there is an average 8.8 tourist to 1 expat, while some expats have an excess of money to spend, most cheap charley expats just barely get by on a monthly budget.

You blokes don"t get it, you math is extremely fuzzy and your number just do not add up right.

And when you finally get it when the penny drops, jump out of the way as those financially challenged expat will grab it before it hits the floor!

Hahaha.....

You still don't understand anything, and are now embarrassing yourself.

Everyone here can now see how backward you thinking is. Up to you mate.

I am so glad that this thread has affected you so much.... me..... just makes me laugh.

Carry on... But you will be talking to yourself from now on.

"What If We All Disappeared Tomorrow?"

Earth would probably recover within 2-5 thousand years. All trace of human destruction gone after 100k years.

The existence of our self-obsessed species is nothing more than a blink of time's eye.

Klubex99

Now we go into another part of your fairy tale world, the Islamic general Fairy Laden, targets tourist, now lets go from your make believe to reality, Mexico, there is a nation-wide war on drugs between drug cartel and the Army that has resulted in tens of thousand of deaths, while tourism did suffer a little at the beginning and has decreased in percentages of tourist they never "DISAPPEARED", US tourist still flock to Mexico, the war is in it 4th year, so you are wrong again.

I think you went to Melody-land school, near Disney-land in California, I find no way how 250,000 expats place so much money into the Thai economy then (27 million tourist) while using your figures, and understanding that most tourist come here from 2-weeks to a month (short term) there are still is an average of 2,2 million tourist in Thailand at any given month ratio 8.8 tourist to each expat, lets factor in each one is here for 3 weeks still leaves about 6 tourist to each expat, spending their money for eating, drinking, lodging, souvenirs and entertainment in Thailand each and every day they are here vs an expat that spends his money on monthly fixed living cost and some entertainment.. Please explain to me why, this is inaccurate.

I know that most people do not like the indication that their way of thinking is wrong, and will not admit so publicly, and look for a way to "save face', simply by trying to degrade the messenger and not the message.

Addressing again your primary question, "What if we all disappeared tomorrow, how will that effect Thailand's economy?"

As stated it will have a minimal effect if any.,

I know many Farang's would like to think that they are vital to the Thai economy and see the power of their finances as a bargaining tool to get their "god-given" equal rights they they deserve for having more economic value than a Thai.

Many of us Farang's would not disappear tomorrow and will stay here as Thailand is our home!!

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

Klubex99

Now we go into another part of your fairy tale world, the Islamic general Fairy Laden, targets tourist, now lets go from your make believe to reality, Mexico, there is a nation-wide war on drugs between drug cartel and the Army that has resulted in tens of thousand of deaths, while tourism did suffer a little at the beginning and has decreased in percentages of tourist they never "DISAPPEARED", US tourist still flock to Mexico, the war is in it 4th year, so you are wrong again.

I think you went to Melody-land school, near Disney-land in California, I find no way how 250,000 expats place so much money into the Thai economy then (27 million tourist) while using your figures, and understanding that most tourist come here from 2-weeks to a month (short term) there are still is an average of 2,2 million tourist in Thailand at any given month ratio 8.8 tourist to each expat, lets factor in each one is here for 3 weeks still leaves about 6 tourist to each expat, spending their money for eating, drinking, lodging, souvenirs and entertainment in Thailand each and every day they are here vs an expat that spends his money on monthly fixed living cost and some entertainment.. Please explain to me why, this is inaccurate.

I know that most people do not like the indication that their way of thinking is wrong, and will not admit so publicly, and look for a way to "save face', simply by trying to degrade the messenger and not the message.

Addressing again your primary question, "What if we all disappeared tomorrow, how will that effect Thailand's economy?"

As stated it will have a minimal effect if any.,

I know many Farang's would like to think that they are vital to the Thai economy and see the power of their finances as a bargaining tool to get their "god-given" equal rights they they deserve for having more economic value than a Thai.

Many of us Farang's would not disappear tomorrow and will stay here as Thailand is our home!!

I find the OP amusing somewhat. Why is it that so many farangs have this somewhat apocalyptic take on things. That the Thai economy would not 'survive' without us. Of course it would. No problems at all. They are an Export Based Economy.

BTW, the 'average' tourist only spends around 5-7 days in the Kingdom.

We do have a tendency to over estimate, a trifle arrogantly at times, our value to the LOS. We are just icing on their cake really.

The Top 25 Tourist Dependant countries in the world are...... you will note Thailand is not one of them.

British Virgin Islands

Macau

Aruba

US Virgin Islands

Turks and Caicos

Cayman Islands

Luxembourg

Bahamas

Bermuda

Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda

Palau

Cook Islands

Cyprus

St Kitts and Nevis

French Polynesia

Malta

St Lucia

Austria

Croatia

Lebanon

Switzerland

Hong Kong

Egypt

Greece

I am waiting for the next History Channel Blockbuster 'Life After (farang) People In The LOS' hehehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY

If all the tourists dispappeared Thailand would have some problems, but it will never happen. If all us expats disappeared nobody except our nearest families would care at all.

Why would you think that the tourists disappearing would never happen?

One scenario.... What if some radical islamic general in the south decided to have the bright idea to start targeting tourists? Do you think this is an impossible idea? Because I think it could well happen. Nobody knows what they will do down there next, bombings and shootings daily, and neither side are making any headway.

So Mr General decides it's time to turn their attention to tourists and farangs. To obviously hit the economy and force the hand of the government. Or don't you think that these radicals are too decent to do such a nasty thing?

They would clear the entire south of foreigners within weeks, and then go for Pattaya and the North indisriminately murdering expats that remain. After all.... wouldn't be the most difficult campaign to pull off would it?

That could turn LOS into a ghost town.

Obviously god willing it would never happen, but I have thought in the past on more than one occasion that I am actually surprised they haven't got to that stage yet.

You are right, of course some terrorists could rock the tourist industry in Thailand, but only for some time. Just look at The

Philippines where there were a lot of kidnappings and bombs in Manila, look at Bali. After some time tourists come back again.

We don't matter as much as most of us farangs think. The attention we get while walking on the street pales in comparison to what exports and factory business brings in.

Yes, some big and small hotels would get hurt, some bars would get hurt, restaurants such as the Londoner and Senor Pico would get hurt, and the overall economy would feel it, but "we ain't shit" compared to the bigger pieces of the pie.

Thailand would be just fine.

Hahaha.....

You still don't understand anything, and are now embarrassing yourself.

Everyone here can now see how backward you thinking is. Up to you mate.

I am so glad that this thread has affected you so much.... me..... just makes me laugh.

Carry on... But you will be talking to yourself from now on.

Sorry, but the only person in this thread that is embarrassing themself is you. You post is laughable, if you can't debate then don't lower yourself to ridicule.. it's just childish.

totster smile.png

• Like 1

There would be a revolution In Isaan. Definite.

Can you imagine the amount of money that would drain from the province? blink.png

The Isaan bar girl brigade would totter towards BKK on their over sized kitten heels and demand the return of we farangs, and they would be backed by an army of p*ssed of relatives that suddenly had to find jobs.

lol, legendary imagery. So what what is the actual consensus then? Outside of cheap labor and tourism I don't see Thailand as having that much to offer. All of the nightlife and things that make it a great city to live in would dry up instantly. Aside from produce they have no great supply of raw materials.

Bascially, if the farangs left, Thailand would be boned.