I want to live in Chiang Mai, but I'm a terrible driver.

LionMG

When I first came to Chiang Mai, I wanted to drive, but kept putting it off watching how horrible the drivers were here. I enquired about taking driving lessons (with an English speaking teacher) especially to drive on the left hand side of the road, but couldn't find one. One day, I said "enough is enough", and got in a car and drove....and I am glad I did. No more trying to explain exact directions to song-taew drivers, no more being limited to the city area. The only problem that I encountered and it quickly vanished was making the right turn from a left lane. Nowadays, I drive everywhere all over the country, and Bangkok is no worse than my home town of Toronto.

• Like 1

Do not publicize your current negative driving style problem, just keep it private until it becomes a matter of the past

In the meantime get some effective Western style driving lessons and instructions to solve and finalize your current driving problems in order to avoid any potential road accidents.

When your western style driving lesson is completed, then try and target Sebastian Vettel !! ...

Thanks guys I've definitely re-considered. I was initially going to get a 6 month-1 year lease in BKK, but now I'll stay at a guest house/serviced apartment for 1 month only and see how I like Bangkok. Then I'll try 1 month in Chiang Mai and see which I like better.

It's a shame I'll miss the festival in November, but ah well, always next year.

The first big problem I can see with your driving is your trying keep a smartphone wedged between your chin and neck to film it... this can be quite disorientating and greatly restricts head movement essential for good driving. As a work around try mounting a piece of re-bar to the handles and use gaffa tape to fix your phone next time!

I'd be happy to teach you to ride a motorbike if you come to Chiangmai, the drivers are relatively good here and it's easy to get around town. It's probably best to leave it a month or so though as you might have heard on the news Chiangmai is having a clampdown on "bad foreign drivers".

Although "clampdown on bad foreign drivers" is of course just a euphemism for "annual police fundraiser" it will probably knock your confidence if you end up unfairly contributing to the police Xmas fund on your first few days of driving.

Edited by johnkypri
  • Like 2

You are doing fine. If this is allowed here, contact me (10+ year CM resident) for open discussion of this lovely place to live... and drive or <removed>

Edited by LivinginKata
email removed as per forum rules
  • Like 1

Stop worrying and start trying. As long as you don't immediately start racing at 100km/hr around the ring roads you will be fine. IMO the the worst that will happen if you start off in or around the old city is falling off/getting knocked off at low speed and grazing a knee.

Go where you feel you would be happier and do not worry about driving motor scooter. Just keep to the basic safety rules, indicate at least 5 seconds before you want to turn and always look in the mirror, keep to a speed you are happy with. Do not get annoyed at other drivers.

I think if I was not sure of my driving skills I would get on a motorbike...I've riden everything from Ducati's to Gold Wings and most track, climbing, and fast bikes in between.....

In Thailand I have not gotten a bike - the Harley guys have suggested but every time I think seriously about it TV comes up with a story in which someone has lost their head, been dismembered, or cut in half.....I would venture to say that at least 1/2 the funerals I've known about motorbikes were involved.

It's that little second of indecision that gets even the most accoplished riders - or - if like me maybe too aggressive.

I've thought about a motor scooter for the short haul to the local Rim Ping - one uncrowded street but so far have not gotten one. I know it will lead to the next trip/bike.......

I DO know that in the last 100 years or so that even in a simple accident the CONCRETE IS UNDEFEATED.....I didn't live this long to grind off a shoulder or lower leg due to the off chance of a pot hole, water, other substances, or other drivers doing unexpected maneuvers - really stupid sh!t at the worst possible moment......

Chiang Mai is a great place - maybe move inside the city and get a bicycle to learn the city and it's short cuts first then graduate to another form of transportation. You might find you don't need anything - or find a tuk tuk driver who will befriend/guide/drive you somewhere along the way that will work for getting around the city.

Good luck.....

For a young guy i think you have a wish to be spending money on hair dye to cover up all those grey hairs that'll soon be sprouting through unnecessary worry.

You're young and if i were you i would take notice of ''DABLOODYMESS" posting above.Never stop living your life because ''what if'' otherwise you'll be scared to strain whilst taking a dump over fear of a heart attack.I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

I would go for my Thai motorbike dl asap. You should make certain that your travel insurance cover you for driving a bike. If you buy a bike its beter to get a dl to avoid potential problems with your insurance if you go into a Lambo or Merc.

It seems that making a choice between BKK and Chiang Mai revolves around riding a motorcycle in CM.

So here are my thoughts on riding a motorcycle here. If you're going to ride a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand - check out the fine print in your insurance policy, then do something about getting the appropriate licence.

I ride a motorcycle in Australia and CM, I have an Australian motorcycle rider's licence and an international driver's licence (a proper IDP, not a bullshit one issued by any number of scam artists on the internet). Because I have a licence, my insurance policy covers me if I have an accident (providing the bike's only small capacity, less than 200cc).

If you don't have insurance, the financial cost can almost as painful as the accident. Treatment might be cheaper here but it's still going to be expensive if you have an accident, and your insurance won't cover you. I've seen some very unhappy accident 'victims' hanging around Chiang Mai RAM hospital - always worth a visit to see what can go wrong!

I don't think your Canadian licence as you have described it would pass scrutiny by an insurance company checking out your ability to claim. I doubt that the issuing authority would give you an IDP for a motorcycle, either.

If you're going to be in Thailand for an extended period of time, you need to get a Thai licence, anyway (and there are numerous threads on this but from what I've heard it's not that difficult).

Someone said 'there are no rules.' There are rules, in my opinion. Rule #1: keep your eyes open and accommodate the craziness of other drivers, as they will for you. In my country, we 'paint by numbers' when we drive - "40 here, now 50, now 35, now 60." Here it's use your common sense. Driving here than becomes a matter of looking out for everyone else, and for the most part, I think it's pretty sane.

(Rule #2? If you have an accident and you're a farang, it's almost certainly going to be your fault - so don't have accidents, and if you do have the misfortune of an accident make sure you have a valid licence and insurance that will cover you).

Accommodating other drivers works in all kinds of ways. For example, I agree with not necessarily stopping at a light that's just turned red - mainly because the person coming up behind you might clean you up. They're not intending to stop, and they're not expecting you to stop, either. So accommodate them, go through the red light a second late, and you might just save your own neck, as well (and hopefully, you won't get taken out by someone on the cross street jumping the green).

Somebody else mentioned riding around the city - I would do that and I would stay off roads where there's a big speed difference between my own capabilities (or my bike's), and those of the car drivers around me. I still don't like going on the Super Highway, just because it's so difficult to stay with the traffic on a 110 cc bike. And also because Thai drivers seem to be worse, much worse, on fast roads than they are on slow ones.

In the old city, and within the moat - I don't have too much of a problem riding a bike. And outside CM, there are some beautiful back roads, that are just idyllic to ride on, even on a scooter.

I find a disk braked 100-150 cc bike is fine around town and easy to ride. I ride a Honda NC700 in Australia, but actually prefer the 110 cc step-through I ride in CM.

When I'm riding, I tend to wear shirt, shorts and sandals which means if I come off the bike I'm likely to lose quite a lot of skin and end up looking like some of the people I've seen at Chiang Mai Ram. All the more reason for riding defensively, and avoiding an accident, if possible. However, I ALWAYS wear a helmet, a full face one in my case bought for about B700 from a shop near the moat.. Lots of people here don't, or do really stupid things, like carry their helmet in the front basket of the bike in case there's a roadblock (helmet stops are a great source of revenue for the police). I can live with losing some skin (I hope), but I wouldn't expect to survive landing on my head without a helmet.

I don't ride much after 8 pm, and I would avoid riding late at night entirely. There's a greater percentage of drunk/drugged drivers on the road late at night. And driving after a few drinks ... you're less likely to end up in jail in CM, maybe, but in a word, it's dangerous.

For me, I enjoy riding a motorcycle, have been riding on and off here for four years, haven't had an accident yet, and prefer CM to Bangkok.

It'll be interesting to hear what you decide. Good luck.

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1

Am I missing the point? The OP has anxiety issues about driving in large cities. But than chooses Bangkok over Chiang Mai?

Perhaps in Bangkok he may not need to ride a motorbike or drive a car. Bangkok has a number of public transport options available; BTS elevated train system, the MRT underground train, the Airport Rail link, boat ferry/taxi on the Chao Phraya river, and boat taxi's on canals. In Bangkok he could also use the bus system and taxi, although they both suffer from being stuck in the traffic jams.

Inner-city public transport options in Chiang Mai are a little more limited. Song-Theows, tuk-tuks, and normal taxi.

Chiang Mai does have some bus stops though! Unfortunately, no buses to stop at them! sad.png

post-152848-0-22271000-1381308184_thumb. post-152848-0-82536800-1381308284_thumb. post-152848-0-06770100-1381308411_thumb.

• Like 1

You should move to Chiang Mai, it's beautiful here! I moved here a couple of months ago from Nong Ki, Buri Ram. Make sure to get an international drivers license, along with your standard drivers license, before you come to Thailand. I think you can get one at AAA in Canada. I purchased a brand new Toyota double cab 4 by 4 turbo diesel for my transportation. I wouldn't recommend that vehicle for a new driver in Thailand. The roads are wicked-narrow sometimes and making U-turns is a real pain in the butt. You shouldn't have a problem if you're a new driver......all you have to do is drive like the rest of the Red-Plate-Lunatics on the road and you'll be fine. Good luck!

P.S. Possessing an international drivers license has helped me "wiggle" through police checkpoints without any hassle, so far. The checkpoints are common on the highways leading out of BKK. I've never encountered one in Chiang Mai, so that's another bonus point for moving here in my opinion.

Thanks guys I've definitely re-considered. I was initially going to get a 6 month-1 year lease in BKK, but now I'll stay at a guest house/serviced apartment for 1 month only and see how I like Bangkok. Then I'll try 1 month in Chiang Mai and see which I like better.

It's a shame I'll miss the festival in November, but ah well, always next year.

BKK definitely is better in terms of public transport. In CM, you really need your own transport, even a bike. But in terms of quality of life, CM wins hands-down. Now if you're a young guy looking for excitement, perhaps BKK offers more. Who knows but you.

I for one love driving in Thailand. It's not near as bad as what these other guys are saying. There is a rules-of-the-road here and once you've figured it out, it's cake. But then I drive a car. A motorbike can be dangerous, particularly for a novice. I think everyone knows someone who's been in a serious motorbike accident. But the only way to learn is to get out there and do it. Being cautious is much better than being cocky in this instance.

In my opinion, if you have no confidence in your driving skills, then don't drive in thailand. Many drivers in thailand don't adhere the traffic rules. So many people have lost their lives on the road daily.

I'm sure that nobody has lost their life daily.

A big reason that we decided to retire in Chiang Mai is because we didn't want to drive. Songthaews and tuk-tuks work just fine, especially after learning enough Thai to give directions and to get invited to sit upfront next to the songthaew driver so he can have a chat.

Everything you need is within walking, songthaew or tuk-tuk distance. The few times we have to go elsewhere, or don't want to arrive all wind-blown and sweaty we call for an aircon taxi. (not as cheap as Bangkok, though). Much cheaper than making a car payment and having that possession possess you.

I'd hate to be limited by the public transportation routes like you are in Bangkok -- although I'm sure you can find everything you need within walking distance of the BTS/MTR.

I decry Chiang Mai's recent urban sprawl and proliferation of malls outside of reasonable songthaew/tuk-tuk distance. Coming from the Detroit area, we saw what happens to a city when the suburbs grow and the urban core dies. We didn't want to live driving around in ring roads in our retirement. We want to be part of a vibrant, walkable, urban culture. So far, that's still Chiang Mai. It may be yet another homogenous suburban sprawl in 10 years if this insane car culture continues.

• Like 2