Flood situation critical in many provinces

Lite Beer

Flood situation critical in many provinces
By English News

13813008969856-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 9 - The flood situation in many Thai provinces including Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Ratchaburi, and Phichit is still critical, as governors of flood hit provinces were instructed to provide emergency care to victims.

In Prachin Buri, the flood is still spreading more widely, with main roads impassable after water flowed in from the nearby province of Sa Kaeo adding to already flooded areas.

Floodwater in Kabin Buri district has risen by 20cm, inundated and cutting Road No 304 (Phanom Sarakham-Kabin Bur)i and Road No 33 (Kabin Buri-Sa Kaeo).

Flooding in Aranyaprathet municipality market in Sa Kaeo remains critical, with growing numbers of residents facing economic losses of at least Bt100 million.

Forest runoff from Tenasserim mountain range eroded and cut the road to Maenam Pachee Wildlife Sanctuary in Ratchaburi last night. Some 130 students from Benjamarachutit Ratchaburi School attending a forest camp were stranded.

Foresters and border patrol police have built a makeshift bridge to rescue the students, but rain continues and more forest runoff is expected.

Flood water in Phichit has damaged more than 20,000 rai of paddy fields for more than a week, with no sign of receding. Farmers must use pumps to drain the water.

A Phichit Irrigation Office official said the flood would stabilise for 2-3 weeks before receding.

Wiboon Sanguanpong, Permanent Secretary for Interior, instructed governors in flood-hit provinces to closely monitor the situation and strictly observe regulations in providing assistance to flood victims. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-09

And next day the headline says "Bangkok only Bangkok is not affected, but other provinces are

And the following day the headline says Bangkok MIGHT get flooded, while other provinces already are

And the day after the following day, the headline will say "Bangkok only Bangkok must share the flooding, while other provinces already served as a sh****tload dump

And the day after the following day after the previous following day, the headline will say "Bangkok only Bangkok will be resolved after 7 days, while other provinces already served as a sh****tload dump

And the day after the following day after the previous following day after the previous previous following day, the headline will say "is in trouble, while other provinces already served as a sh****tload dump

Tremble in terror while you can,

• Like 1

This sounds like 2011 all over again. God does not take orders from politicians. God does not care on how important the politicians think they are. Most problems in the world are caused by politicians.coffee1.gif

But since God created politicians...........

• Like 2

You can't change natural forces like flooding etc. but you can learn to live around them. Other species on Earth manage to adapt and even prepare for the worst, birds are careful to build nests in safe places, and so forth. The difference is that humans have built this enormous ridiculous house-of-cards society and spend the whole time adjusting bits here and there and wasting time on frivolous nonsense instead of preparing for natural events. If anything we should cope better than other species because we are tool-using and have tech. But we perform worse, because our leaders are too busy ensuring their packed lunches are Just Right so they wont have to eat food at foreign state dinners, and other silly meaningless activities, instead of perfecting the art of building a safe nest (metaphorically speaking).

• Like 1

Klongs in Lam lukka have lots of water the worry here is what happens if they open the gates.

I had a good look at them today as too. A number of the gates are opened considerably more than they were two weeks ago and in fact some of them are fully open.

The Khlong's don't seem anywhere near as high as the two weeks prior to the 2011 debacle.

Like you and many others, I hope we don't get a repeat.

The latest ESRI Map gives cause for concern and it has changed a lot over the past week.

It's unbelievable how much water hyacinth is still blocking Khlong Hok Wa. A disgrace to those responsible.

With the gaps left open in the flood wall along the Rangsit Canal, they needn't have bothered building the stupid thing anyway. It'll be as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike if and when it is needed.

Time will tell.

You can't change natural forces like flooding etc. but you can learn to live around them. Other species on Earth manage to adapt and even prepare for the worst, birds are careful to build nests in safe places, and so forth. The difference is that humans have built this enormous ridiculous house-of-cards society and spend the whole time adjusting bits here and there and wasting time on frivolous nonsense instead of preparing for natural events. If anything we should cope better than other species because we are tool-using and have tech. But we perform worse, because our leaders are too busy ensuring their packed lunches are Just Right so they wont have to eat food at foreign state dinners, and other silly meaningless activities, instead of perfecting the art of building a safe nest (metaphorically speaking).

No you can change natural forces like flooding with floodwalls and good drainage.

• Like 1

Klongs in Lam lukka have lots of water the worry here is what happens if they open the gates.

I had a good look at them today as too. A number of the gates are opened considerably more than they were two weeks ago and in fact some of them are fully open.

The Khlong's don't seem anywhere near as high as the two weeks prior to the 2011 debacle.

The latest ESRI Map gives cause for concern and it has changed a lot over the past week.

It's unbelievable how much water hyacinth is still blocking Khlong Hok Wa. A disgrace to those responsible.

With the gaps left open in the flood wall along the Rangsit Canal, they needn't have bothered building the stupid thing anyway. It'll be as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike if and when it is needed.

Time will tell.

Same as here in Bangyai its high but not even close to prior 2011. Sure there is flooding over Thailand but a repeat of 2011 it is not and I would wager it will not either. Actually I am wagering my house on it again and my car.

Time will tell.

Same as here in Bangyai its high but not even close to prior 2011. Sure there is flooding over Thailand but a repeat of 2011 it is not and I would wager it will not either. Actually I am wagering my house on it again and my car.

Hope this is the last TS this year. Nobody knows what this one will bring, hopefully little. But how fast things do change?

wp201324_5day.gif

go north on the main road, 1st water way, after the end of the new building of BTS line, noticed 15:20 yesterday sandbags were 10 high and water was coming over the top of that, the down and under U-turn just past the Chevy showroom had flood water covering the road..

As I remember same as 2011 at this time, by November even the main road there and end of my road was impassible, all 12 lanes were over 1.5 meters high with water.

Edit: people I spoke to in the Fish Market area yesterday and that expensive housing project behind are already preparing for another 2011

Edited by ignis

This sounds like 2011 all over again. God does not take orders from politicians. God does not care on how important the politicians think they are. Most problems in the world are caused by politicians.coffee1.gif

Unfortunately, Thailand's chief politician is currently not in Thailand, as she is advising the rest of the ASEAN nations on how to deal with flooding ....!!

(Note that I refrain from using the term Prime Minister, as you might think I was talking about someone else).

• Like 1

go north on the main road, 1st water way, after the end of the new building of BTS line, noticed 15:20 yesterday sandbags were 10 high and water was coming over the top of that, the down and under U-turn just past the Chevy showroom had flood water covering the road..

As I remember same as 2011 at this time, by November even the main road there and end of my road was impassible, all 12 lanes were over 1.5 meters high with water.

Edit: people I spoke to in the Fish Market area yesterday and that expensive housing project behind are already preparing for another 2011

It always floods there but I am a bit higher as that actually quite close to the place. I live in the village behind the Izzusu. Like i said I dont worry one bit. This village only flooded in 2011 and in the other 50 years never while the parts your talking about flooded quite often. I have seen water covering U turns quite often in almost any year without any major flooding. The secret is those big dams and they are not a problem this time. The small damm that they are talking about will impact lower places but not this.

Indeed in November the main road ( i lived there for 2 months during the flooding) was at some parts 1,5 meter but it was mostly like 80 cm ect. But way before that time it was already far worse as it is now. I am not downplaying this flood as it is bad for those that are hit. But its still not close to 2011.. the 2 big dams that account for 80 percent of the volume of all the dams (except the southern ones) play a large part in this.

Are they blind ? Or they refuse to see the reality once again ? Instead of traveling around the world the PM should be in Thailand to take care of those in need .....

They don't care about serfs and see them as just that; peasants to serve them and provide a lavish lifestyle for their little family & future generation of their offspring. Its so old world its almost unbelievable.

It is very clear this family are neo-feudalists.

Wish the general public would really come together and rise up against them rather than tolerate the crimes of this family- or one day, say "enough" and decide to put up a real fight to bring this little oligarchy crashing down. Seems like generally people here are rather docile if not too docile, unless you rent a mob.

• Like 1

Are they blind ? Or they refuse to see the reality once again ? Instead of traveling around the world the PM should be in Thailand to take care of those in need .....

They don't care about serfs and see them as just that; peasants to serve them and provide a lavish lifestyle for their little family & future generation of their offspring. Its so old world its almost unbelievable.

It is very clear this family are neo-feudalists.

Wish the general public would really come together and rise up against them rather than tolerate the crimes of this family- or one day, say "enough" and decide to put up a real fight to bring this little oligarchy crashing down. Seems like generally people here are rather docile if not too docile, unless you rent a mob.

Well it is also the media....TV and newspapers aren't critic. And who is critic get pressured.

So many people don't know what is happening.

Many people say, it isn't important who they vote for because they all are equal corrupt. Which isn't complete wrong.

No you can change natural forces like flooding with floodwalls and good drainage.

OK well read my post, and then read your "reply." I said you can not change natural forces ie. floods, but you can adapt to them, the adapting to floods would obviously cover all aspects of drainage and flood barriers. You can not change torrential rain and build up of water. But you can adapt to it. Was my point. Your reply seems flippant and nit-picking, and you aren't even right when you say "no you can change natural forces", you can't, you can only build around them lol. Am surprised you would stoop to that kind of semantic pettiness but maybe you were feeling bored tongue.png

• Like 2

Floods to hit more Bangkok riverside communities

PNDAT561010001000201_10102013_013215.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 October 2013 (NNT) - The National Disaster Warning Center has urged Bangkok riverside communities to brace for possible floods next week.

According to NDWC chief Somsak Kaosuwan, high tide and runoffs from the central provinces will flood communities on the banks of the Chaopraya river in Bangkok and Nonthaburi. The areas located outside of flood barriers will be inundated by flood water of nearly 2 meters in height.

High tide which affected many residents on Wednesday and Thursday will reach its peak on October 17. The NDWC has urged relevant agencies to quickly implement measures to cushion the impact of the rising water levels.

The Drainage and Sewerage Department earlier reported that more than 150 homes in Santi Songkro community, located under Arun Amarin bridge have already been submerged.

In addition, parts of Prachaup Kirikhan province will be hit by a monsoon trough, which will worsen the ongoing flood. Prachin Buri, Trat, Chanthaburi and Sa Kaew are slated to be belted by more heavy rains as well.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-10 footer_n.gif

Nonthaburi - Pathumthani alerted for floods

BANGKOK, 10 October 2013 (NNT) - Two provinces just north of Bangkok have just been hit by floods; local residents have been warned to brace themselves for rising water levels.

Authorities in Nonthaburi and Pathumthani have just issued warnings to those living along the Chao Phraya river to move their belongings to higher ground and keep their eyes on water levels.

Four eastern districts of Bangkok - Minburi, Nong Chok, Klong Sam Wa, and Lard Krabang- have already been inundated. As many as 150 houses under Arun Amarin bridge in the heart of Bangkok have also been submerged, while other communities on the banks of the Chao PhraYa river are also bracing themselves for inundation, especially those located out of Bangkok's water barriers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-10 footer_n.gif

OK well read my post, and then read your "reply." I said you can not change natural forces ie. floods, but you can adapt to them, the adapting to floods would obviously cover all aspects of drainage and flood barriers. You can not change torrential rain and build up of water. But you can adapt to it. Was my point. Your reply seems flippant and nit-picking, and you aren't even right when you say "no you can change natural forces", you can't, you can only build around them lol. Am surprised you would stoop to that kind of semantic pettiness but maybe you were feeling bored tongue.png

OK, sorry I misunderstood your previous posting......You are right...just ignore my posting smile.png

• Like 1

Schools closed as flooding hits Thai provinces
By English News

13813893562777-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 10 – Flooding has prompted temporary closure of some 500 schools across northern, northeastern and central Thailand.

The Ministry of Education Office of the Basic Education Commission reported on Thursday that 582 schools; 484 primary schools and 98 secondary schools in 18 provinces have been affected by flooding since September 23.

Sakchai Bannasan, an elementary education official in Sa Kaeo province, said 27 schools are still closed since the beginning of October despite receding floodwaters.

Students are unable to take mid-term examinations as their schools are now flooded by 50-80 centimetres of water, but they should be able to return to classes next week if there is no more rain.

Nakhon Ratchasima province also reported six schools are now affected by flooding.

Disaster-hit provinces include Surin, Si Sa Ket, Chaiyaphum, Prachin Buri, Sara Buri, Nakhonsawan, Pichit, Lop Buri, Ubon Ratchathani, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Chachoengsao, Pitsanulok, Phetchabun, Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Ratchasima and Sa Kaeo. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-10

Some schools never really close. During the month of October there will be Science camps and English camps. There will be students who need to take re-tests to pass their exams and other special classes.

There are also admissions for the next semester, which means an admission test etc.

If you take a look around, you will see a lot of kids still wearing school uniforms.