Thai Army helicopter hits power lines, crashes

webfact

hi-tech! Helicopter used in inspecting high voltage transmission. What country have you heard of using helicopter for that job? In USA, , Germany, Japan or Cambodia? Oh no. i am sure they don't. Only in Thailand...

Yes they do in all those countries and many more.......they even use them to wash all the bits.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Gentleman Jim...those men in that helo were very lucky.

Usually when a helo, or any aircraft, hits a power line nobody get's

out alive. Luck was on their side...and a good bit of flying by the

pilot too I may add.

Yeah, very good flying, he flew into the wires. Not as though he didn't know where they were, they in fact were inspecting them, a little too close, or he turned and the tail rotor came into contact, which would cause a lose of control but still have enough to give a reasonable soft landing. I guess as things go it will be a fault of the wires NOT a pilot error.

Just so others may understand..."and a good bit of flying by the pilot too I may add"...

pertains to being able to still somewhat control the helo AFTER they hit the wires.

And since we do not know just how the helo came into contact with said wires

let's not speculate how the bangup happened. I'm not a helo pilot although I have

rode in them hundreds of times and have had a few scary incidents; one into the

water another into primary rainforest on autorotate (all 5 survived), a few more

nasties during wars...most helo pilots I have known, Thai's included, are pretty

dam_n good at their job.

Just so you understand, I fly choppers, contact by the main rotors would normal spiral out of control as the main blades usually break, the fuselage starts to rotate, even at such a low altitude this is often, especially with so many on board, fatal, or very serious. The fact they all survived indicates some control, hence my suggestion as to the tail strike. Anyway, in the final report it will be the fault of the transmission line, a mechanical failure(who ever heard of that ever happening, in Thailand) or a bird strike, and the pilot will be hail a hero, complete with more medals and ribbons.. oh and of course the photo ops.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

I wonder why they hit the wires.

Knowing the Thai way however.....I can see it now.... Officer says to pilot " move in closer I can not see"

Pilot thinks maybe not good idea but follows directions for senior officer.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't onboard and now I know. Thank you.

Not only can they not drive or ride on the roads properly, they can't fly either.

Thank you for your expert insight into these activities. It's interesting to read a post from someone who has met all Thai drivers and all Thai pilots. Can you comment on all Thai boats operators perhaps?

• Like 1

pilot too I may add.

Yeah, very good flying, he flew into the wires. Not as though he didn't know where they were, they in fact were inspecting them, a little too close, or he turned and the tail rotor came into contact, which would cause a lose of control but still have enough to give a reasonable soft landing. I guess as things go it will be a fault of the wires NOT a pilot error.

Just so others may understand..."and a good bit of flying by the pilot too I may add"...

pertains to being able to still somewhat control the helo AFTER they hit the wires.

let's not speculate how the bangup happened. I'm not a helo pilot although I have

water another into primary rainforest on autorotate (all 5 survived), a few more

nasties during wars...most helo pilots I have known, Thai's included, are pretty

dam_n good at their job.

Just so you understand, I fly choppers, contact by the main rotors would normal spiral out of control as the main blades usually break, the fuselage starts to rotate, even at such a low altitude this is often, especially with so many on board, fatal, or very serious. The fact they all survived indicates some control, hence my suggestion as to the tail strike. Anyway, in the final report it will be the fault of the transmission line, a mechanical failure(who ever heard of that ever happening, in Thailand) or a bird strike, and the pilot will be hail a hero, complete with more medals and ribbons.. oh and of course the photo ops.

Ok 'chopper pilot' please explain why you say a tail rotor strike will let him have a soft landing and striking a main rotor blade will make him spiral out of control? Will a tail rotor strike make him spiral out of control? What kind of 'chopper pilot' are you?

• Like 2

As usual all the "armchair experts" out in force.

Anyone out there know what ACTUALLY happened?? I think not.

Just say for e.g. that there was a mechanical problem before it hit the wires. There is not much time to go into autorotate when flying low.

For what it's worth, I've flown with both Thai navy and Army helicopter pilots and they are bloody good. Espescially when you see the how old (ex-Vietnam) most of the aircraft are.

• Like 2

pilot too I may add.

dam_n good at their job.

You made a pretty stupid comment then didn't you for a heli pilot.....

Nobody knows yet the circumstances....maybe tail strike, maybe mains, maybe some wires not seen, not the high voltage ones...who knows, the pilot does and he is not here to say for himself......maybe an engine failure that then went into the wires.

Regardless, if he was responsible for putting it down safely somewhat afterwards and not nosing it into the ground or upside down, then yes he has done a good job at the end of the day.

His day may not have started off so great but.

• Like 1

dam_n good at their job.

Ok 'chopper pilot' please explain why you say a tail rotor strike will let him have a soft landing and striking a main rotor blade will make him spiral out of control? Will a tail rotor strike make him spiral out of control? What kind of 'chopper pilot' are you?

Depends on so many variables....height, speed and such.

Main rotor strike also depends on the size of the wires, large heavy high voltage wires at height would cause catastrophic damage and most likely rip the blades out, then fall to the ground.

A tail strike can spin you out of control but the subsequent crash could be very close to the ground and at virtually no forward speed....turning the machine into pieces, but occupants could be relatively unhurt.

Im curious, been here 15 years and can count the private aircraft I've seen on two hands. Never see private planes anywhere around the country. What about Helicopters, I've never seen a single private/company helicopter. Granted, I don't spend much time in Bangkok. My question, is civil aviation really that non existent in Thailand? My next question, where do the Military and Commercial Pilots learn to fly? Straight from Video game to Simulator to Passenger Jet or Military Jet or Helicopter?

Im curious, been here 15 years and can count the private aircraft I've seen on two hands. Never see private planes anywhere around the country. What about Helicopters, I've never seen a single private/company helicopter. Granted, I don't spend much time in Bangkok. My question, is civil aviation really that non existent in Thailand? My next question, where do the Military and Commercial Pilots learn to fly? Straight from Video game to Simulator to Passenger Jet or Military Jet or Helicopter?

As an example initial one year training for commercial pilots for Thai Airways at the Civil Aviation Centre, Hua Hin. Commercial heli license 9 month training program, 2.15 million baht

http://www.catc.or.th/2013/index.php/en/contacts/hua-hin-airport/

hi-tech! Helicopter used in inspecting high voltage transmission. What country have you heard of using helicopter for that job? In USA, , Germany, Japan or Cambodia? Oh no. i am sure they don't. Only in Thailand...

9. Helicopter Linemen (UK)

job-9.jpg

Helicopter Linemen

Although it looks risky, working on high voltage transmission line from air is saver than from the ground. The dangerous things are coming from the helicopter rotor blades, loose safety harness or winds. Every Helicopter Lineman received special training before working on any transmission line field and their salary is better than the Skyscraper Windows

http://smartestengineer.blogspot.com/2012/01/10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-world.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVD0vWg3Kgo&hl=en-GB&gl=SG

• Like 1

Private helicopter or aircraft ownership is illegal here, with a few exceptions.

Private helicopter or aircraft ownership is illegal here, with a few exceptions.

you know your talking crap dont you..

• Like 2

There are quite large fleets of choppers owned and run by a private commerical company that services oil & gas in the Gulf of Thailand and the Thai pilots are typically ex-Thai miltary along with expat pilots and they are excellent and they are based nowhere near BKK...and one assumes there are a few other companies as well..

• Like 1

frogs....sh....cough...

pilot too I may add.

Luck has nothing to do with they must have made merit like the railways.

In 'developed' countries toys have age range stamped on the box .

Yet a place where even 19 century rails, medieaval flood prevention the Dutch brought to Boston and the fens seems beyond an accountable leaders.

Time to start building bigger Jatukom amulets in preparation for EGATs Thai Nuclear waste management prog,planning millenia ahead.

Quite amazing with an incident of that nature especially into water that everyone got out alive, really amazing in fact.

Before everyone starts making comments similar to soi41's above, wire strikes are a common hazard faced by military helicopters all over the world. Whatever happened the forced landing was a good one for everyone to get out, almost all unhurt. Lucky guys!

Flying in poor visibility & at high speed; yes, inspecting wires at low speed; no.

Another reason please Mr military?

I reckon there's more than just a "few" FT.

Google helicopter charter companies Thailand....have a look at the numbers.

Some repeats sure..but more than a few. I use Skydance when needed &

highly recommend them.

pilot too I may add.

dam_n good at their job.

If you reside in LOS...who do you fly for?

Just curious that's all.

There are quite large fleets of choppers owned and run by a private commerical company that services oil & gas in the Gulf of Thailand and the Thai pilots are typically ex-Thai miltary along with expat pilots and they are excellent and they are based nowhere near BKK...and one assumes there are a few other companies as well..

They have special dispensation and operate through oil and gas companies connected to national companies such as Chevron/PTT. Funnily enough I fly with them on a regular basis to go to work.

Further to my previous statement I should have said; private individuals cannot own helicopters or aircraft without the dispensation; Carabao was refused it.

Here is the current list of all civil helicopters registered in Thailand. About half of those 42 listed will belong to the companies you mentioned in your post. Many won't fly at all.

http://www.rotorspot.nl/current/hs-c.php