£10,000 / $16,000 how long personally...

ryro88

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 Years I reckon

2000 baht apartment x 48 months = (96'000 baht)

2 cups of 20 baht mama noodles x 1456 days = (58'240 baht)

1 bottle of 40 baht Lao Kao wine x 1456 days = (58'240 baht)

8 double entry visa runs at 9000 baht = (72'000 baht)

8 border runs at 2500 baht = (20'000 baht)

8 x sandals at 300 baht = 2400 baht

48 Beer chang singlet shirts = 7200 baht

Total 313'600 baht = $10'000

change $6000

You'll do fine biggrin.png

Great! specially about "mama noodles" hahahaha

I would presume to say most of these types are SERIOUS alcoholics and sex addicts and spend spend spend. For me, I live on about $12,000 a year, so we are talking about a little less than a year and a half. for those of you who can only make it 5 weeks or even 5 months for that matter, you better have a good look in the mirror at your excesses

I presume to say you presume too much...

I presume to say that you must either be a bones of their arse "English teacher" or a retired gertiatric cheap charlie, whose pension has gone down the toilet with the exchange rates.

The point being how somebody spends of their own money has got FA to do with you.

I enjoy your assumption that I am an English teacher. Actually I am 35 year old retiree who cashed out with a net worth of $5 million. So I am neither of what you said I was. Even if I tried my damned hardest, spending 15 grand IN 5 months is a hard thing to do... nice try anyway!

I would presume to say most of these types are SERIOUS alcoholics and sex addicts and spend spend spend. For me, I live on about $12,000 a year, so we are talking about a little less than a year and a half. for those of you who can only make it 5 weeks or even 5 months for that matter, you better have a good look in the mirror at your excesses

I presume to say you presume too much...

I presume to say that you must either be a bones of their arse "English teacher" or a retired gertiatric cheap charlie, whose pension has gone down the toilet with the exchange rates.

The point being how somebody spends of their own money has got FA to do with you.

I enjoy your assumption that I am an English teacher. Actually I am 35 year old retiree who cashed out with a net worth of $5 million. So I am neither of what you said I was. Even if I tried my damned hardest, spending 15 grand IN 5 months is a hard thing to do... nice try anyway!

Good for you 35 years old, a multi millionaire and retired to boot, EX-SAS, Navy seal, Delta force or CIA by any chance ?

You can be Bill Gates for all I care....but your presumptions are still a crock

Edited by Soutpeel

Then what ARE people spending $16,000 every five weeks on if it's not on alcohol and women??? (buying name brand bags, clothes etc. for girlfriends is included in that category)

Maybe they just like Green Curry SO much that they buy $16,000 worth.

Are they giving it to charity? Are they gambling? Maybe when they Tam Boon they give away a couple thousand a shot

Granted there is incidental spending, buying a new car, property or a house, but that doesn't happen every five weeks or months...So if you put the incidentals aside.... pray tell......WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING??? I really am curious and would like you to enlighten me...my bet is in the majority of the cases where someone is using that much money in that short a time period, it's going to toward alcohol OR satisfying ones member...again this is based on years of personal experiences with Falangs in this country

Finally, yes your finances have "FA" to do with me, but if you are interested in dispelling this notion I have, maybe you'd wanna let me in on how you widdle away $8,000 a month if not on booze or girlfriends/gifts for girlfriends.

Nothing would make me happier if you could prove me wrong. I'd like facts and examples and it doesn't have to be your own examples I just want to know how it is possible... maybe my presumptions are "a crock" So please counter my assumptions/presumptions with some specifics

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 2

£10,000? For normal living around 18-20 months. With incidentals 12 months. Let the kids loose at Tesco and add in kids mobile phone bills, take that down to 6 months. Actually there seems to be endless cost and I'm a single parent with no extended 'family' to support.

I had argued in another thread that it was still cheap in Issan. It ain't now. I apologise.

Finally, yes your finances have "FA" to do with me, but if you are interested in dispelling this notion I have, maybe you'd wanna let me in on how you widdle away $8,000 a month if not on booze or girlfriends/gifts for girlfriends.

8000 USD = 240000 Baht (approximately).

This could be consumed very easily by, for example, 100K in rent and 100K in school fees.

But I do agree that claiming to spend 8000 USD per month and then stressing that the actual breakdown has "FA" to do with anyone else is VERY SUSPICIOUS.

• Like 1

£10,000? For normal living around 18-20 months. With incidentals 12 months. Let the kids loose at Tesco and add in kids mobile phone bills, take that down to 6 months. Actually there seems to be endless cost and I'm a single parent with no extended 'family' to support.

I had argued in another thread that it was still cheap in Issan. It ain't now. I apologise

Yep, that's more like it...actually good on you if you can make it to 20 months

On the booze front dear boy, I very rarely drink - typically 3-4 beers in a 2 month period and dont have a girl friend, I got a wife,

and once again I will state, I dont have a habit of publishing a detailed breakdown of how I spend money every month on an internet forum, for all TV finest start commenting one and huffing and puffing so from that perspective its got FA to do with anyone

but lets just say "Mr Average" is getting closer:

Accomadation/property

education, and let me add a few

Vehicles

Insurances both local and international

Private Pension schemes - international

Investments - international

Regular holidays outside the country, typically once every 2 months to somewhere "international"

Regular dinners out with collegues and friends

and must confess, I have no problem spending quite a bit money on buying decent food at Villa/Tops/Foodland etc and would guess I spend more money on food than some peoples whole budget for the month, but hey I enjoy good food

The point being, as stated previously, I have established a certain standard of living in Thailand which is the same as other countries I have lived and worked in and have no problem paying for it as on a monthly basis as its relatively a small portion of my total income and in the long term, I will be pretty comfortable from a asset point of view when I get to retirement age, from that perspective I dont really have to budget down to the last penny to live in Thailand.

So sorry I cant live up to your preception that anyone who spends $ 8k/m in Thailand must be an alcoholic & sexpat...but guess I must bow down to your superior knowlege of everything Thai based on all your years in Thailand...whistling.gif

But hey what do you care your a multi millionaire in dollar terms ?

relative to what??

$8,000/month comes out to $96,000 a year which is a lot more than the average European or American makes in one year...You are just lucky, as I feel I am. I also go to Tops market, pay insurance, invest and what not..I am not quite at the point of spending damn near 100K a year, but hats off to you for doing that

relative to what??

$8,000/month comes out to $96,000 a year which is a lot more than the average European or American makes in one year...You are just lucky, as I feel I am. I also go to Tops market, pay insurance, invest and what not..I am not quite at the point of spending dam_n near 100K a year, but hats off to you for doing that

Average is key word, but not everyone falls into the average catagory, to be an average, there must be people who are earning more and other earning less you agree ?

The point being everyone to their own, as long as they are happpy, and yes there maybe there are are people in Thailand who do spend significant amounts of money on wine, women and song, its their choice, its their money, and as long as they are not hurting anyone in the process, who are we to judge ? (one of the major problems on TV BTW)

But your very wrong to try an infer that all farangs who spend XXX amount of money every month can only be sending that money because they are sexpats or alcoholic's which is were this all started in the first place.

• Like 1

relative to what??

$8,000/month comes out to $96,000 a year which is a lot more than the average European or American makes in one year...You are just lucky, as I feel I am. I also go to Tops market, pay insurance, invest and what not..I am not quite at the point of spending dam_n near 100K a year, but hats off to you for doing that

Average is key word, but not everyone falls into the average catagory, to be an average, there must be people who are earning more and other earning less you agree ?

The point being everyone to their own, as long as they are happpy, and yes there maybe there are are people in Thailand who do spend significant amounts of money on wine, women and song, its their choice, its their money, and as long as they are not hurting anyone in the process, who are we to judge ? (one of the major problems on TV BTW)

But your very wrong to try an infer that all farangs who spend XXX amount of money every month can only be sending that money because they are sexpats or alcoholic's which is were this all started in the first place.

I agree with this. I'd say you could easily get through $8k a month on upscale high end living in Bangkok without living the expat stereotype lifestyle of booze and ladies.

It is possible to live at all levels in this country. You can spend a little. You can definitely spend a lot.

relative to what??

I agree with this. I'd say you could easily get through $8k a month on upscale high end living in Bangkok without living the expat stereotype lifestyle of booze and ladies.

It is possible to live at all levels in this country. You can spend a little. You can definitely spend a lot.

Decent condo 150k, sending kid to some school for spoiled brats 100k, thats us at 250k or $8k, thats before food on the table or other such necessities, never mind luxuries.

• Like 1

Waste of time very few of the "you can't live in Thailand for under 10 million baht a month" brigade ever break down their expenses.

I suspect if they did their spending wouldn't quite add up to what they claim and obviously they don't want to tell the world how much they spend on lady drinks and p4p so it wouldn't be realistic anyway.

• Like 1

Waste of time very few of the "you can't live in Thailand for under 10 million baht a month" brigade ever break down their expenses.

I suspect if they did their spending wouldn't quite add up to what they claim and obviously they don't want to tell the world how much they spend on lady drinks and p4p so it wouldn't be realistic anyway.

What's p4p? Is it the new PlayStation?

The games can be very expensive.

You quite clearly have no idea how much a crate of fine port costs in Thailand.

• Like 2

and lest not forget the costs of the Bolly,Stolli, Beluga, wild scottish smoked salmon, Cuban cigars, maintaining and running the Aston/Bentley

without these essentionals, life is just not worth living old chap.....wink.png

i'm not taking the bait! laugh.png

If one say lived a in funky little guesthouse somewhere hidden, worked out by going hiking and or biking, entertainment was say hanging out with new friends and making your own parties, rented a motorbike now and then, split with people on transport to great locations, maybe got hooked up with some sort of work trade (like you want to sit around all day) .. and shopped very smartly... You could live for maybe 2-3 years max, more likely just over a year as you will chicken out and go to mc donalds, want to go spend a fortune on coffee/beer at fancy places..

You can live very very well anywhere on small amounts of money, shopping second hand, and being thrifty.. but you do need a small income stream to strech that out, like if you could make an extra $200 a month online or something you might be good.. it would help to be very fun to be around so maybe people will want to hook you up with cheap digs ..

if you go it alone with the typical cheap charles every man for himself and i hate everyone outlook.. the world becomes expensive, better start being usefull to people in teh world.

• Like 1