£10,000 / $16,000 how long personally...

ryro88

This is roughly the annual salary of a teacher (One of most popular jobs in Thailand) so I would say you can live quite comfortably for 1 year.

Obviously if you lived the high life you would get through it quicker.

Remember its a lot more than most Thais make.

• Like 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking about living on a daily basis, not going full steam at it every night in pattaya!

It absolutely depends on how much free time you have and what you want to do with your free time.

- I stay most of the time at home (a nice 12k/mo in Ekkamai, 36sqm with a stove and washing machine to cook and wash occasionally) and do programming stuff.

- Use BTS like 30 times a month to go to my Thai class and shopping (Tesco mostly).

- Usually eat Thai food, sometimes KFC, Chester, etc. I also eat a good amount of fruit daily.

- Go out on weekends with friends to a disco or cinema and places like that.

- Signed up for a Bt750/month True ADSL.

An ordinary life all for 30k/mo. If you like fancy nice western coffees/lunches/dinners/stuff you should go up to 40k or even more. On the other hand if you rent a cheaper house you can spend more on going out and having fun.

Half a million baht ? Roughly one afternoon on Suk Soi 101 ;)

http://piyanas.com/shopping/product_brand.php

OK, OK - something a little more serious:

Bangkok/ KL / Jakarta - ~3 months (possibly less in KL ..)

Penang/ Rayong / Yogyakarta - ~6 months

As others have said, this is 'how long is a piece of string', and I've yet to see consensus in these threads. Anyone who can remain teetotal in Thailand is well ahead of the curve, IMO, but that just isnt me. Anyone drawing up budgets based on iron self-restraint really needs to ask themselves exactly what they plan to be doing at night - I dont know any saints, but YMMV.

• Like 1

I think it is easy to live just fine on that for about a year (but I am not in BKK or an expensive area). However, I would prefer to have about double that amount for a year, so, six months. These estimates are based on the assumption that you already have a motorbike or car plus all the stuff you need for living...dunno...computer, fridge, etc. If you come here only with that and have to buy everything from scratch, it would run out a lot more quickly.

No English classes you can teach today ?

$ 16k....2 months or there abouts to answer your question

You must be leading quite an expensive up scale life. $16K for 2 months means about 240K to 250K Baht per month!

Depends on whether you want 'holiday mode' vs 'survival mode' - as many have said, we just arent going to get any agreement on this question.

• Like 1

You must be leading quite an expensive up scale life. $16K for 2 months means about 240K to 250K Baht per month!

not at all...I live what I consider a normal life style no different from anywhere else I have lived or worked

11.627906 months. I am single and live in Lumpini which is in the heart of Bangkok, that is an average of 43,253.85 THB per month for the last two years. I get out on the town once a week and live well on that amount. I do not own a car here and really do not need one, the subway is a city block away, the bus stop even closer and I have an electric bicycle that I also run around on. Life is good for me, I love it here.

• Like 1

not at all...I live what I consider a normal life style no different from anywhere else I have lived or worked

I agree about 2 to 3 months and thats not extravagant. Kids in international school, mortgage on a nice house in a safe compound, new car, only go out about once a week and thats just beers with buddies, so 500 - 750 once a week for that. Maybe out for dinner with the family once a week, so 1,500 there.

If your living here trying to be on a budget I am sure many people can stretch it farther, if you are raising a family and want to own a nice house, be sure they goto the best schools and use the best hospitals, life is going to cost you the same as back home (where ever your home may be).

About 6 months.

My house is nice but small ( 90 sq m) , and incs cable , water , fast internet for 12k in Phuket ( not Patong) not far from a good beach ( free recreation).

Electric is a 1k extra.

I run a pickup and 2 scooters , by the time fuel , tax , repairs and insurance are added in , they must cost 6k a month.

I eat falang out maybe 3 or 4 nights a week , plus shopping Im guessing we eat about 15k a month.

Not a big drinker , maybe 2 x 6 drinks a week , but throw in a massage etc and entertainment must cost 12 to 18k a month.

I give the gf 12k a month.

Insurance ( health ) is a further 2k a month , and medication probably another 2k.

Then theres 'tours' that average $100 a day , and I do them about every 2 months , so maybe another 8k there on av. per month.

I note nobody seems to have included visa and multi-entry charges , nor a trip home.

So all up about 70 to 80k is the cost per month of my 'simple life '... no great bargain as those back home may think ...

i would say about 9 months, i find it very interesting many of the posts are saying 2000baht a month health insurance.. well im 50 years old and the cheapest quote i have had so far is 2,500 pounds approx 125,000 baht just over 10 thousand baht a month, would anyone who is paying roughly 2000 baht a month please send me the details..many thanks in advance..

Edited by nongmai07

You could last up to 24 months. I've been working in Bangkok for 6 months now and I've spent AUS$4000

That has covered all my expenses -rent, food, transport, entertainment etc plus my border trip and my flight home.

It might be a bit easier for me though, my girlfriend is Thai, so she makes sure I don't get taken advantage of. No Farang tax for me :D

Edited by huwgo

You can exist about one 14-15 month, or live around 6 month.The correct calculations are made already in other post.

The only interesting thing is that the average Thai would have to live with that amount of money exactly 3 years sad.png (14k is still the average income?)

but on your average Thai calculation of 14k/m = 3 years assumes this is the "salary" they have coming in, not the amount they need to live on, in most cases at this sort of income level people are taking out loans/borrowing money off people to top up this amount to live on.

your assuming the "books" balance at the end of every month, but we know this is not the case, lets pose this question, if you gave the "average Thai" $ 16k cash money how long do you think it would really last ?.....my bet 6 months or less..

My bet is closer to six days.

i would say about 9 months, i find it very interesting many of the posts are saying 2000baht a month health insurance.. well im 50 years old and the cheapest quote i have had so far is 2,500 pounds approx 125,000 baht just over 10 thousand baht a month, would anyone who is paying roughly 2000 baht a month please send me the details..many thanks in advance..

The op does not give enough info so i was just basing the 2000b on my last policy i took out when i was 39

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app