In Defence of Pattaya and in defiance to the Haters

Sigurris

mancub, if there is one thing that shines through in the Pattaya forum on this board, its that many who live in close proximity to the 'strip' that constitutes what most folk consider 'Pattaya' can still laugh about the insanity of it all. I'm sorry, but I just cant say the same for many of the BKK brigade on TV, particularly those who seem to have a holier-than-thou axe to grind. I don't know if its the traffic, or their jobs, or what, but Bangkok seems to grind people down. Again, that's wild speculation based on random observations of anonymous postings on an internet forum, but is it any more speculative than declaring everyone who chooses Pattaya as a retirement destination a 'sexpat' ?

Bangkok is a cesspit,and will grind anybody down, the pollution makes the expats crazy, and there are no hookers, freelancers of bargirls in Bangkok

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

mancub, if there is one thing that shines through in the Pattaya forum on this board, its that many who live in close proximity to the 'strip' that constitutes what most folk consider 'Pattaya' can still laugh about the insanity of it all. I'm sorry, but I just cant say the same for many of the BKK brigade on TV, particularly those who seem to have a holier-than-thou axe to grind. I don't know if its the traffic, or their jobs, or what, but Bangkok seems to grind people down. Again, that's wild speculation based on random observations of anonymous postings on an internet forum, but is it any more speculative than declaring everyone who chooses Pattaya as a retirement destination a 'sexpat' ?

Bangkok is a cesspit,and will grind anybody down, the pollution makes the expats crazy, and there are no hookers, freelancers of bargirls in Bangkok

You just quoted an 8 month old statement - how does that make you feel?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You just quoted an 8 month old statement - how does that make you feel?

I replied to an 8 month post, not quoted, are you a teacher in Bangkok?????

First came to Pattaya nearly 30 years ago and thought it was pretty unpleasant - can't say my opinion has changed. I think it depends a lot on what you've experienced. It's like saying Thailand has great beaches - yeah when you have only been to Torremolinas or it has great international restaurants when you have only been to Brighton. The honest truth is that the town is full of old men who couldn't get laid in a million years back where they came from propping up the economy of a town that no one in their right mind would come to for a holiday. I met an Indian gentleman in Bombay who told me he had been sold a holiday in Pattaya because of it's sophisticated restaurants, shopping and golden sands and he just laughed and said to me as Indians do "You must be joking!" and that just about sums up Pattaya!!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by leggo

A well written OP, but one comment..

Pattaya has a beach ?....tongue.png

Oddly, its one of only two things I really dislike about Patts - the beach-chair industry, the maniacs driving powerboats and the fact that the environment is a disgrace. The other is that endless loop of traffic in central Pattaya, but that is only going to get worse. Hua Hin's beaches are better, but I havent seen anything in Asia to compare to the surf beaches I grew up alongside in Sydney (Bondi, Maroubra, Cronulla).

The rest of the distractions - tourists, old blokes walking hand-in-hand with young girls, girls screeching 'Heloooo' etc - these are no worse than dodging Arabs in Bangkok and I just dont see why so many TVers get so hot under the collar about them. If the Thais wanted to 'clean up' Pattaya, they would have done it decades ago - clearly, there is way too much money to be made. C'est La Vie.

Why should anyone worry about what happens in Pattaya, the thai,s certainly don't!!the beach in pattaya used to be as golden as any other tropical beach, it was also used as the main road in the wet season, but apart from a couple of fisher families there was no one else there, pattaya did not exist, that came later!!we were there when the first bar opened and a mammasan and a few girls moved down from Chumphon to take up residence, the same thing happened with Phuket, only one main road to the one hotel in Phuket old town, in what is now patong the jungle used to come down to the beach, our fishing camp was a couple 10 man tents, the old black and white photo,s of our escapades early 60,s Thailand are here on TV, but I digress,comparing Australian beaches to thai beaches is a bit unfair ,I had the pleasure of living on Bribie Island Queensland for over 10 years, in those the population on the Island grew from a 1000 to 15000, also the rate of developmentin 20kms surrounding areas where 1000,s and 1000,s of houses and units were built , resulting in pollution and beach closures,dolphins ,and dugongs left the area and fishing inshore became practically none existent,I remember reading some where the coastal population from Huahin to Sattahib was almost as many as the whole of Australia,but Australia is a developed country, but it still does not stop them pumping untreated sewage into the coastal waters when they think no one is looking, so lets leave pattaya alone hey, just think of it as Blackpool with Sunshine!!

Oddly, its one of only two things I really dislike about Patts - the beach-chair industry, the maniacs driving powerboats and the fact that the environment is a disgrace. The other is that endless loop of traffic in central Pattaya, but that is only going to get worse. Hua Hin's beaches are better, but I havent seen anything in Asia to compare to the surf beaches I grew up alongside in Sydney (Bondi, Maroubra, Cronulla).

The rest of the distractions - tourists, old blokes walking hand-in-hand with young girls, girls screeching 'Heloooo' etc - these are no worse than dodging Arabs in Bangkok and I just dont see why so many TVers get so hot under the collar about them. If the Thais wanted to 'clean up' Pattaya, they would have done it decades ago - clearly, there is way too much money to be made. C'est La Vie.

Why should anyone worry about what happens in Pattaya, the thai,s certainly don't!!the beach in pattaya used to be as golden as any other tropical beach, it was also used as the main road in the wet season, but apart from a couple of fisher families there was no one else there, pattaya did not exist, that came later!!we were there when the first bar opened and a mammasan and a few girls moved down from Chumphon to take up residence, the same thing happened with Phuket, only one main road to the one hotel in Phuket old town, in what is now patong the jungle used to come down to the beach, our fishing camp was a couple 10 man tents, the old black and white photo,s of our escapades early 60,s Thailand are here on TV, but I digress,comparing Australian beaches to thai beaches is a bit unfair ,I had the pleasure of living on Bribie Island Queensland for over 10 years, in those the population on the Island grew from a 1000 to 15000, also the rate of developmentin 20kms surrounding areas where 1000,s and 1000,s of houses and units were built , resulting in pollution and beach closures,dolphins ,and dugongs left the area and fishing inshore became practically none existent,I remember reading some where the coastal population from Huahin to Sattahib was almost as many as the whole of Australia,but Australia is a developed country, but it still does not stop them pumping untreated sewage into the coastal waters when they think no one is looking, so lets leave pattaya alone hey, just think of it as Blackpool with Sunshine!!

Plenty of the Thais I work with in Bangkok visit Pattaya at weekends and on holidays.

• Like 1

By the way, I love Pattaya. Great gettaway place for the weekend and not far from Bangkok. The seediness is is not the same seediness one experiences in western cities. It is tropical seediness and that is exciting. The mix of farangs, Asians, Arabs, Russians etc is wonderfull, feels like a melting pot of cultures, all in a compact area. The general ''type'' of people there does not bother me, because I don't bother nobody. I do my own thing, mind my own business and my business is enjoyment. I don't give a monkeys arse about what people do there, to each their own. Again, it doesn't bother me, I do my own thing. I dont have the need to judge people.

Maybe the hates comes from their self image of being too hi-so now that they hang out with chinese-thai gf to say anything positive about the place they use to love...lol.

Or maybe they are married and can't do the same thing they use to do there and resent the place...lol.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Plenty of the Thais I work with in Bangkok visit Pattaya at weekends and on holidays.

Its A lot nearer and Cheaper than Huahincheesy.gif

"..... let us not forget that the concentration of excellent Golf courses is unparalleled in the world."

Well that is certainly one opinion on pattaya area golf...however I suspect that many would disagree.. Myrtle

Beach South Carolina alone has over 100 top notch courses. Hawaii has dozens of top notch courses. Not saying

that Pattaya doesn't have some good courses but "unparalled in the world" is a stretch.

• Like 1

What makes me laugh is, why do those who live there feel they have to defend their choice?

I spend my time between the dump that is Bkk and the paradise that is Chan, I dont have to defend my choice.

Me thinks you protest too much.

• Like 1

I must admit the best lady boys i have seen have been there,not that i am into ,that,i was there with my wife,Derek.

Head to The Mall Bang Kapi, Paradise Park, Seacon Square or Fashion Island, plenty of knock out stunners, They are certainly way more woman like like than some of "the hotties" I see some guys parading about on their arm.

why 0on earth would anyone want to live in Pattaya if not for sex its a cesspit of sex and modern day sodden and gomora which is fines if your into that. Beaches are very polluted and much better facilities (except sex) in many other areas.

If you have a family do you really want your kids in an area full of low life forang but if your single and dont mind crap forang (not all of them) then I guess its fun for a while

ok its got a water park and some non sex bits but whole place is really 90% geared as a huge brothel.

why 0on earth would anyone want to live in Pattaya if not for sex its a cesspit of sex and modern day sodden and gomora which is fines if your into that. Beaches are very polluted and much better facilities (except sex) in many other areas.

If you have a family do you really want your kids in an area full of low life forang but if your single and dont mind crap forang (not all of them) then I guess its fun for a while

ok its got a water park and some non sex bits but whole place is really 90% geared as a huge brothel.

some of us live in the Pattaya area because we don't run into ignorant hypocrites like you who need to look up how to spell Sodom and Gomorrah.

tongue.png

• Like 2

This is better than any sex you have ever experienced and you can do it in Pattaya. Video shot at Bira Circuit Pattaya.

Most people can separate the two activities. For example my wife does not ask me if I want sex or ride on my new motorcycle.

• Like 1

I must admit the best lady boys i have seen have been there,not that i am into ,that,i was there with my wife,Derek.

Most definately. I have witnessed this as well. The ladyboys in Pattaya seem to be more beautiful than in BKK, or any other city in the world.

some of us live in the Pattaya area because we don't run into ignorant hypocrites like you who need to look up how to spell Sodom and Gomorrah.

tongue.png

Pearls before swine, my friend, pearls before swine. The haters are gonna hate and that's fine with me - just not sure how much repetition is needed in any given thread on Patts - there are only so many ways you can tell the world that you loathe Pattaya and this thread is well past its use-by date.

Op, everything else is there because of the flesh industry, not as well as it. That place was nothing a few decades ago until girls started servicing the GIs. The big industry is north and south.

why wouldnt there be a beach scene in a place like that so close to bangkok?

Op, everything else is there because of the flesh industry, not as well as it. That place was nothing a few decades ago until girls started servicing the GIs. The big industry is north and south.

Not really. Aussies were the first troops there. Yanks further up the pike at U-Tapao/Kilo Sip. Pattaya was hardly a pimple on a gnats bum when the boys from the USA left in 1975. First go go bar 1978. Tahitian Queen.

Not really. Aussies were the first troops there. Yanks further up the pike at U-Tapao/Kilo Sip. Pattaya was hardly a pimple on a gnats bum when the boys from the USA left in 1975. First go go bar 1978. Tahitian Queen.

Yikes, you mean for once Americans don't get the blame?.....Praise Be, Its's a Miracle....evil Aussies LOL

Maybe pollution scrambling brains????/

Although I've only been to pattaya once, never mind the crimes there, but I see many people enjoying there. So I guess overall pattaya is still worth visiting.

Only if you want to enjoy yourself. Apparently if you want to villify and berate your fellow man, there is no need; you can do so quite adequately from a distance, and without engaging him personally.

Personally, although I have been a couple of times on family holidays, I don't particularly like Pattaya, though my opinion might be changed if I were to indulge in the fleshpots of Walking Street and the neon quarter.

SC

actually, after having read the news on ATM scams, I do fear Pattaya in some sense. The police there do really need to improve on security.

So Bangkok and other cities of Thailand dont have ATM scams

I don't see many people who live in Wong Amat rushing off to Bangkok for the weekend, on the other hand, there's an awful lot of Bangkokians make the opposite trip.

Granted there not many Farangs with weekend Condos in Wong Amat, the average English teacher couldn't afford it, but many Wealthier Thais can and do.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1