Chiang Mai Getting Ready to Open Kiw Pa Wok Border Crossing to Burma in Chang Dao

khwaibah

Chiang Mai Getting Ready to Open Kiw Pa Wok Border Crossing to Burma in Chang Dao Oct 10, 2013

Lifestyle

flag_th.jpg

CityNews – Chiang Mai is getting ready to open the Kiw Pa Wok Border crossing in Chiang Dao District, which connects Thailand and Burma, in order to boost tourism and border trade in five districts around Chiang Mai.

1381405913.jpg
Pairoj Kullawanich

Pairoj Kullawanich, a representative from the Office of Commercial Affairs Chiang Mai, said that due to the conference on 14th June 2013 concerning strategies to promote tourism and trade between Thailand and Burma, it was agreed that Kiw Pa Wok Checkpoint would open and governmental staff in five districts (Wiang Haeng, Chiang Dao, Mae Ai, Fang and Chaiprakarn) will now work on tourism integration.

Source : http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2465

So, what kind of tourist attractions are there in the jungle behind Chiang Dao and will there be a Immigration office for those that need a stamp in their passport?? If so, then this will be a big boost to tourism in Chiang Dao and a much quicker border crossing than MaeSai.

• Like 1

re

I thank you'll find the crossing at this point. 19.768698, 98.949885 (Kew Pha Wok border route . About 5 km further north

hes right !

im going out for a beer now but ill post some more pics on how i got to the border fence asap ?

dave2

post-42592-0-85004800-1381498602_thumb.j

The scenery (and food) around Arunothai and continuing to Doi Ang Khan is beautiful. I've been to some of the locations in PoorSucker's videos and will gladly go again. Looking forward to the opening of the new border crossing/immigration building, the sooner the better.

Was just up there a month or two ago and stopped in Baan Arunothai. Really nice scenery. Spoke with a lady who had a museum? up there but I could not find it. I called her but she could not give good directions and then as it turned out the museum is only open a few months out of the year and she said to try again after the rainy season. I think the Chinese restaurants are closed during the rainy season as well. We couldn't find one open. I would go back. Very nice up there.

• Like 1

re

ill post some more pics on how i got to the border fence asap ?

here ya go smile.png

i had a ride up there in march 06 and when i saw the sign to the border i thought id go up and see if the border was a river or what ? as i was in no hurry to go anywhere and had no idea where id end up that night

after what seemed forever on this tiny little road i saw some army people under the bonnet of what i thought was a dead hummer so i did the sign language for can i go to take a pic of the border and they looked at me said something and pointed back the way i came

i pointed towards the border and said 5 minits please and an older man said ok come and pointed to the border

so we rode up there i took this pic which is the same gate in poor suckers picture but the fence is higher / new in his taken ? after 06

so we went back , said goodbye to them and i ended up in beautiful doi ang khang that night

another great day in paradise smile.png

dave2

ps ... after that i rode along the border road to chiang rai and saw lots of thai and myanmar soldiers / flags and got stopped a few times but had no problems from them smile.png

Thanks for the update great photos. Date to open as I said before...IF and WHEN..whistling.gif

good idea half the distance for that stamp you need

It is certainly a shorter distance but small roads through the mountains may make it much the same time wise? It looks like a great alternative either way.

CMJoe it's only 40/45k's off 107 and if you try a Google Maps Street View,the whole roads covered,I had a good look at it today I think you can do half the distance in about half the time.I think the Cheshire Goat might be able to add to this or at least suggest a time from experience.

re

Was in Anurothai yesterday (Oct 12) and saw this at the bordercrossing

wow rc pilot great pic smile.png

ive compared my pic poor suckers and yours and thats exactly the same place !

the pic of the king and queen , what looks like a small gate next to the sentry box ,that huge road and the drain are all new so maybe the thais have been thinking about opening the border there for sometime ?

dave2

ps .. im hope you didnt get your little toy

out up there or we could be having a war

not a celebration sad.png

pic .. doi suthep 10 minits ago smile.png

post-42592-0-45334300-1381623924_thumb.j

re

wow rc pilot great pic smile.png

ive compared my pic poor suckers and yours and thats exactly the same place !

the pic of the king and queen , what looks like a small gate next to the sentry box ,that huge road and the drain are all new so maybe the thais have been thinking about opening the border there for sometime ?

dave2

ps .. im hope you didnt get your little toy

out up there or we could be having a war

not a celebration sad.png

pic .. doi suthep 10 minits ago smile.png

Thanks for the compliment, Dave2!

As you stated, I did not want to confuse the military/guards/boys, so left my copter in the car.

Btw, can you give me directions where to find how to post attached thumbnails?

re

directions where to find how to post attached thumbnails?

im not sure what you mean by this

99.9% of my pictures i crop and re size

to 1280 x 960 so they fill my computer, phone and tablet screens and they are what i post here

how they would look on a big tv ive no idea

khwaibah

re

Dave2 your photo in post 16 is not the same location as rcpilot in post 20.

im sorry but ive compared the pics and i

think your wrong sad.png

what makes you think that the blue sign , the tree in the mid right is not the same one in my pic ,poor suckers or rcpiots ?

just interested smile.png

dave2

pic ... 1280 x 960

post-42592-0-22806600-1381635052_thumb.j

re

directions where to find how to post attached thumbnails?

im not sure what you mean by this

99.9% of my pictures i crop and re size

to 1280 x 960 so they fill my computer, phone and tablet screens and they are what i post here

how they would look on a big tv ive no idea

khwaibah

re

Dave2 your photo in post 16 is not the same location as rcpilot in post 20.

im sorry but ive compared the pics and i

think your wrong xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.7cckm4BQla.webp

what makes you think that the blue sign , the tree in the mid right is not the same one in my pic ,poor suckers or rcpiots ?

just interested xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

dave2

pic ... 1280 x 960

My fault.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif I put my specks on and see you took your photos in March 06. Things do change.

Was in Anurothai yesterday (Oct 12) and saw this at the bordercrossing:

(photo is 1604 pixels wide)

arunothai_border.jpg

Just makes me wonder what's on the other side and will we be able to penetrate into Burma?? My recollection of the area is that all the mountains are stripped bare of the beautiful trees that used to be.

Just makes me wonder what's on the other side and will we be able to penetrate into Burma?? My recollection of the area is that all the mountains are stripped bare of the beautiful trees that used to be.

Well, although the Thai truck just passed the barrier after a few words, I was not allowed to walk on to the Birman side, which is a 300m walk, the military/guards/boys told me.

Seems normal, I see the same happening on any Thai border when I am there.

post-168649-0-08620500-1381645944_thumb.

Well, although the Thai truck just passed the barrier after a few words, I was not allowed to walk on to the Birman side, which is a 300m walk, the military/guards/boys told me.

Seems normal, I see the same happening on any Thai border when I am there.

Its a crossing for locals only not for a foreigner. Nice to see that it is being used.