Chiang Mai Getting Ready to Open Kiw Pa Wok Border Crossing to Burma in Chang Dao

khwaibah

Was in Anurothai yesterday (Oct 12) and saw this at the bordercrossing:

(photo is 1604 pixels wide)

arunothai_border.jpg

Just makes me wonder what's on the other side and will we be able to penetrate into Burma?? My recollection of the area is that all the mountains are stripped bare of the beautiful trees that used to be.

Yes, this IS the place! Beyond the gate are locals farming in a "No Man's Land" of a few hundred meters, then the border.

I think someone mentioned the border patrol station before you get to this point. Smart, rcpilot, not to have taken the RC camera out of the box! Hello! No joke! You were in a secure military zone! You would certainly have spooked the guards of the Thai border detachment at the gate. (On the other hand, it would have startled them out of their normal quiet, pleasant friendly mood of posing for the occasional picture with pretty tourists) and given them something to make the day truly exciting. Besides, the relatively high tree cover and the scene beyond wouldn't have been TV Chiang Mai and YouTube big box office hits like some of your earlier triumphs locally.

This is a beautiful area. The town is quite simple but very pleasant in a relatively rich agricultural area. Many settled Kumingtang, I believe. It is NOT at all a commercial zone like Mae Sai - Tachieik, one of the junkiest "cheap bargain centers" of the world. Above are some good descriptions of the area which, once visited --- if you like nice places --- you'd probably rather not see it turned into a tourist, visa run bargain hunter destination. I do, of course, suspect, that the point of view of the dirt poor on the Burmese side probably have a different view.

If you look at the settlement and road system in the area (especially in Myanmar), one has to wonder about the promise of tourism for this area. Nonetheless, the ride from Chiang Mai is a two-hour ride, with simple routing provided above.

Rcpilot, if you want to have some fun locally, not to travel two hours NW, just launch your camera-equipped airship over the fighter-trainer hangers along the Wing 41 bypass! Might indeed attract some attention!! biggrin.png Your fans here, of course, will have to bail you out if they'll even consider bail rather than putting you on a plane back "home!"

• Like 1

Then take route 1249 towards fang and back to Chiang mai.

Great. How much does the Burmese visa cost? Last I remember is is much less than Laos and this would be a great area to tour by motorcycle.

My nearest option is Nong Khai (about 100 km) but I always like to go north.

Any safe place to park the motorcycle? (big bike)

Great. How much does the Burmese visa cost? Last I remember is is much less than Laos and this would be a great area to tour by motorcycle.

My nearest option is Nong Khai (about 100 km) but I always like to go north.

Any safe place to park the motorcycle? (big bike)

The border post has not opened yet.

I have seen many big bikes on the road there.

Thanks guys for all the info. I have totally changed my travel plans to squeeze in Arunothai -- love traditional markets, tribal cultures, authentic locals.

May I please ask some advice. I'm arriving Chiang Mai Thurs 14 Nov around noon. The plan is to get in the rental car, scoot straight up to someplace near Arunothai & stay the night....so I can wake early to catch the Friday market. Lots of options in Fang, Doi Angkhang etc should I be staying in Chiang Dao?

By the way, after Arunothai I'm heading off to Thoed Thai so that I can catch Hua Mae Kham (sunflower festival) next day, Sat 16 Nov.

Then onto Chiang Saen for Loy Krathong. Cross fingers that the rental car & GPS are in good condition :-)

May I please ask some advice. I'm arriving Chiang Mai Thurs 14 Nov around noon. The plan is to get in the rental car, scoot straight up to someplace near Arunothai & stay the night....so I can wake early to catch the Friday market. Lots of options in Fang, Doi Angkhang etc should I be staying in Chiang Dao?

There are some guesthouses in AronaThai, but never been to one as I have a house 12 Km away.

That's in Ban Nahwai, they have some Bungalows for rent at the national park center there.

Other option is a french guy that rents out bungalows in Ban Nahwai. (the other falang)

http://www.baanfamui.com/

Suggested travel plan:

First you must stop at Chiang dao caves at the bottom of doi Chiang dao.

http://www.visitchiangmai.com.au/chiang_dao_caves.html

Travel a further 30 km to Ban Nahwai, see the waterfall and the hot springs.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style2/default.asp?npid=167&lg=2

Wake up early, 5.30 Am.

Best action at the market is between 6 AM and 8 AM, market closes before noon.

IMPORTANT.

In Aronathai, you must try the Yunnan noodles and the Gyoza.

My favorite spot is on the left side of the road going to the market, 50 meter before the SCB ATM.(There are two ATM's in Aronathai.)

• Like 1