The irony of the stereotype of foreigner with thai girl relationships

snake24

Out of interest, can anyone give any feedback on how their Thai lady-friends are enjoying the Heineken Cup?

I went to my local to see if they were showing it, but he said "Heineken bottle, can.  Can also can, but Heineken Cup cannot."

Let's hope for better luck with the up-coming World Cup, starting next week.

SC

Brilliant post SC.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, can anyone give any feedback on how their Thai lady-friends are enjoying the Heineken Cup?

I went to my local to see if they were showing it, but he said "Heineken bottle, can. Can also can, but Heineken Cup cannot."

SC

Brilliant post SC.

You need two posts for a goal

I went to my local to see if they were showing it, but he said "Heineken bottle, can.  Can also can, but Heineken Cup cannot."

SC

Brilliant post SC.

You need two posts for a goal

Yeah but people keep moving them

Posts and thoughts as of the OP always amaze me.

Captain obvious or bible-thumper springs to mind.

What is there not to understand in "c'est la vie" ?

French?

"Yoor raight theur, Cawboy. Theur's meny as deun't oonderstand Engulish, Haoweveur cleur it's speuk. Isn't that raight, Allan"

"Verry raight indeed, Ray, niver maind fawrrun languages"

Edited by StreetCowboy

French?

"Yoor raight theur, Cawboy. Theur's meny as deun't oonderstand Engulish, Haoweveur cleur it's speuk. Isn't that raight, Allan"

arfff... "that's life" better?

German: "So ist das Leben"

Russian: "jisn takaia"

Can someone help me for Thai please?

Edited by manarak

French?

I'm sure there's many Americans on this thread would be wishing they'd been sat with their girlfriends streaming the game on the internet from Toulouse this afternoon, in order to establish their nation's sporting credentials. It's certainly looking bleak for us heathen scotch gits when we get to Barton on Irwell in a few weeks' time.

Anyway, as you English say, c'est la vie. Surprisement, la presse francaise n'a rien a dire.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/18/rugby-league-world-cup-2013-usa-france

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Whilst we're on the subject of bar-girls, has anyone been able to explain the principles of the offside rule to a bar-girl to the extent that she can properly understand rucking and mauling?

Personally, I think league would be more easily understood, although Thailand is a staunchly union country.

SC

I once tried explaining the difference between Rugby Union and League to an American backpacker girl once but I'd have been better trying to explain to a Thai BG - at least I'd have got a shag after the game.
  • Like 2

French?

Perhaps "loom loom don don" (lowland highland)which is an idiom meaning something like the above.

Edited by Neeranam

Whilst we're on the subject of bar-girls, has anyone been able to explain the principles of the offside rule to a bar-girl to the extent that she can properly understand rucking and mauling?

Personally, I think league would be more easily understood, although Thailand is a staunchly union country.

SC

I once tried explaining the difference between Rugby Union and League to an American backpacker girl once but I'd have been better trying to explain to a Thai BG - at least I'd have got a shag after the game.

I'm not so sure; there's nothing worse than being distracted

Ref Trainspotting: "I haven't felt this good since Archie Gemmill scored .... " (sorry I couldn't find a Youtube clip)

SC

• Like 1

Surprisement

Surprenamment

You are welcome :-)

That's the sort of thing a Frenchman would say

Come on, the French don't have a monopoly.

Blindes Huhn findet manchmal auch ein Korn

;-)

Edited by manarak

Surprisement

Surprenamment

It's the French that are going to bugger things up if Toulon (the current Heineken Cup holders) carry out their threatened boycott! And how do you explain the cap on foreign players to a BG? The mind boggles!

Surprisement

Surprenamment

It's the French that are going to bugger things up if Toulon (the current Heineken Cup holders) carry out their threatened boycott! And how do you explain the cap on foreign players to a BG? The mind boggles!

I think bargirls are used to requiring a cap on foreign players. It's the safest option.

• Like 2

I've got to express my gratitude to Snake24 for starting this thread. It;s rare indeed we get a rugby league thread on the General forum, and one in which we get such diverse yet amicable input across codes is to be treasured indeed.

SC

• Like 1

I've got to express my gratitude to Snake24 for starting this thread.  It;s rare indeed we get a rugby league thread on the General forum, and one in which we get such diverse yet amicable input across codes is to be treasured indeed.

SC

Snakes - very popular amongst to BG community; particularly the one eyed trouser snake.

SC

Personally, I love a good ruck after a maul.

Offside - isn't that where you get it in the wrong...... (I had better stop there laugh.png )

SC

Personally, I love a good ruck after a maul.

Offside - isn't that where you get it in the wrong...... (I had better stop there laugh.png )

On a golfing note, you have to ask permission to play the back 9. :)

On a golfing note, you have to ask permission to play the back 9. :)

Not if you're putting like Tiger Woods..

"GET IN THE.." oh.. ummm... nevermind.. as you were ;)

Phew... That was awkward!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have 3 children with my Thai wife, 2 sons and 1 daughter.

1 son is a policeman, another son is studying to be a lawyer and my daughter works as an administrative secretary at the head office of a well-known bank. They are adults now, and since they were babies, although to me they are still my babies, no matter how big and ugly my sons are, I have always taken an active interest in their activities and welfare. I am a worldly man, done the rounds and not easily hoodwinked. If it was the scenario as described in the OP, than I would know about it, or would be extremely suspicious and investigate further. This is what good parenting is all about. Of course in 99% of cases, when a daughter becomes a woman of ill repute, the parents will know or at least be highly suspicious. Those who have claimed that they had no idea their daughter was on the game, I simply do not believe.

Another point is; Western perspectives of the country have applied the idea that Thailand is the world’s biggest brothel. Mostly by the Western media, in movies, books and those who could be described as the enemies of Thailand. In fact, with the exception of Pattaya, which can be accurately described as a cesspit of crime and prostitution, which probably tarnishes the reputation of the whole country, prostitution in Thailand is not all that prevalent, except for those who go looking for it, and that can apply to all countries.

Most decent working class, middle class and upper class Thai women would not consider hitching up with a deadbeat farang, they much prefer to keep to their own and mainly within their own class structures according to their circumstances and status within Thai society. There are some exceptions to the rule, but mainly the prostitute class originate from the underclasses of Thai society and should not be equated or compared with the general population as a whole. This again pertains to all nationalities in all countries.

Because in the past and is still happening today, there are older predatory Western men that visit certain third world countries seeking out much younger girls, even minors in a lot of cases, has stuck in the minds of the people and when they see an aging gross farang walking hand in hand with a girl young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter, they automatically assume that the girl is a prostitute or only with the guy for financial benefits. I admit I am often guilty of making these judgements myself. In some cases they would be correct in their assumptions, in other cases they maybe wrong and too quick to judge, because the obvious is not always the fact. This is now a stigma for Thailand that has stuck and I must say that I too do not like the sight of seeing some old granddad getting intimate with some slutty looking young Thai girl out in public. But this doesn’t mean that the majority of Thais are of the same elk, as they too feel the same way and have the same or similar opinions as we do.

Your last paragraph has real relevance for me. We live in Rayong and regularly go to Pattaya for our "farang" shopping or a day out. My Thai wife and I have been married for a long time and we have a 16 year old daughter. If just my daughter and i go into Pattaya , the looks of disdain that i sometimes get when we are walking down the street (not hand in hand) are very disturbing and embarassing for me. As you say people are quick to judge but are not always right.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did a piece about this some time ago ,my son who is now 20 and in uni ,is sometimes mistaken ,by tourists as my boy friend ,it amuses us both now ,i dread to think what they used to think when i held his hand when he was younger,funny this never happens in the UK ,people just assume he is my son.

• Like 1

I have 3 children with my Thai wife, 2 sons and 1 daughter.

1 son is a policeman, another son is studying to be a lawyer and my daughter works as an administrative secretary at the head office of a well-known bank. They are adults now, and since they were babies, although to me they are still my babies, no matter how big and ugly my sons are, I have always taken an active interest in their activities and welfare. I am a worldly man, done the rounds and not easily hoodwinked. If it was the scenario as described in the OP, than I would know about it, or would be extremely suspicious and investigate further. This is what good parenting is all about. Of course in 99% of cases, when a daughter becomes a woman of ill repute, the parents will know or at least be highly suspicious. Those who have claimed that they had no idea their daughter was on the game, I simply do not believe.

Another point is; Western perspectives of the country have applied the idea that Thailand is the worlds biggest brothel. Mostly by the Western media, in movies, books and those who could be described as the enemies of Thailand. In fact, with the exception of Pattaya, which can be accurately described as a cesspit of crime and prostitution, which probably tarnishes the reputation of the whole country, prostitution in Thailand is not all that prevalent, except for those who go looking for it, and that can apply to all countries.

Most decent working class, middle class and upper class Thai women would not consider hitching up with a deadbeat farang, they much prefer to keep to their own and mainly within their own class structures according to their circumstances and status within Thai society. There are some exceptions to the rule, but mainly the prostitute class originate from the underclasses of Thai society and should not be equated or compared with the general population as a whole. This again pertains to all nationalities in all countries.

Because in the past and is still happening today, there are older predatory Western men that visit certain third world countries seeking out much younger girls, even minors in a lot of cases, has stuck in the minds of the people and when they see an aging gross farang walking hand in hand with a girl young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter, they automatically assume that the girl is a prostitute or only with the guy for financial benefits. I admit I am often guilty of making these judgements myself. In some cases they would be correct in their assumptions, in other cases they maybe wrong and too quick to judge, because the obvious is not always the fact. This is now a stigma for Thailand that has stuck and I must say that I too do not like the sight of seeing some old granddad getting intimate with some slutty looking young Thai girl out in public. But this doesnt mean that the majority of Thais are of the same elk, as they too feel the same way and have the same or similar opinions as we do.

Your last paragraph has real relevance for me. We live in Rayong and regularly go to Pattaya for our "farang" shopping or a day out. My Thai wife and I have been married for a long time and we have a 16 year old daughter. If just my daughter and i go into Pattaya , the looks of disdain that i sometimes get when we are walking down the street (not hand in hand) are very disturbing and embarassing for me. As you say people are quick to judge but are not always right.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did a piece about this some time ago ,my son who is now 20 and in uni ,is sometimes mistaken ,by tourists as my boy friend ,it amuses us both now ,i dread to think what they used to think when i held his hand when he was younger,funny this never happens in the UK ,people just assume he is my son.
Interesting - last night I was walking in Walking Street in Khon Kaen with my eldest daughter and thought that a couple of people mistook her for my girlfriend, especially when I walked with my arm around her. She is 160cm. I really don't give a toss and will continue to hold my daughter's hand in public.

Interesting - last night I was walking in Walking Street in Khon Kaen with my eldest daughter and thought that a couple of people mistook her for my girlfriend, especially when I walked with my arm around her. She is 160cm. I really don't give a toss and will continue to hold my daughter's hand in public.

Neeranam ... I've never been to Khon Kaen ... I've heard it's a nice place.

How does the Walking Street there compare to say the famous one in Pattaya?

Neeranam ... I've never been to Khon Kaen ... I've heard it's a nice place.

How does the Walking Street there compare to say the famous one in Pattaya?

Don't get too excited Dave mate it's a night market. biggrin.png

• Like 1

When there is no food on the table (or more realistically: when you owe on loans that compound daily or weekly, have a gambling habit, spend more than you make on whatever....), shame isn't on the table. Shame is out back turning tricks too... and since shame is out back... who cares about race issues or simple prejudices anymore?

smile.png

Edited by Heng

And yet, I meet prostitutes, and girls looking to sell themselves, everywhere I go in CM and the surrounding area.

This underclass you are talking about, you seem to be indicating it is small, where to me it appears very large.

And in CM at least, a lot of them appear to be university educated, and have fairly wealthy parents.

Nope, you're wrong, as far as I can see, it is prevalent in the general population as a whole.