The irony of the stereotype of foreigner with thai girl relationships

snake24

Would it be fair to say Destitution = prostitution and that greed or need = ignoring the truth. I know I could be banned, criticized but common sense tell me that apart from Thailand prostitution/crime is rife in Catholic controlled countries. Philippines, Venezuela, Mexico, Italy to name a few . Why, population allowed to explode and the rest is history

• Like 1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StreetCowboy, on 12 Oct 2013 - 22:08, said:
kotsak, on 12 Oct 2013 - 18:08, said:
StreetCowboy, on 12 Oct 2013 - 17:37, said:

FarangKino, on 12 Oct 2013 - 17:15, said:

Being a newbie - this information has me totally shocked!

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalRL?hc_location=stream

Greece 62 - 0 Thailand

just goes to show how little I know!

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiRugbyLeague

http://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/rlp-nations/thailand/532-rugby-league-planet-thailand

My apologies for any confusion I may have caused

SC

I am confused indeed.. I haven't even known that we have a rugby team.. :>

You need to get out more. Thailand just returned to Asian Division Two after a brief outing with the big boys.

I know its slightly off topic, but does anyonehave any suggestions on how to rescue a fly from a half empty beer glass before he drinks too much if it? He's struggling manfully up the side, I think he's going to make it... And he's away! No he's not, he's gone down for another swig, the cheeky little fly that he is. I've lost all sympathy for him now....

SC

lol!! I was not referring to Thailand ;)

StreetCowboy, on 12 Oct 2013 - 22:08, said:

kotsak, on 12 Oct 2013 - 18:08, said:

Greece 62 - 0 Thailand

http://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/rlp-nations/thailand/532-rugby-league-planet-thailand

SC

You need to get out more. Thailand just returned to Asian Division Two after a brief outing with the big boys.

I know its slightly off topic, but does anyonehave any suggestions on how to rescue a fly from a half empty beer glass before he drinks too much if it? He's struggling manfully up the side, I think he's going to make it... And he's away! No he's not, he's gone down for another swig, the cheeky little fly that he is. I've lost all sympathy for him now....

SC

lol!! I was not referring to Thailand ;)

I take it then that you are a compatriot of our dearly beloved though frankly outspoken Royal Consort the Duke of Edinburgh, His Royal Highness Phil the Greek. I am sure, were he here with us, he would be the first to highlight the benefits of rugby in bringing people together and overcoming prejudice, such as exhibited by the OP to this thread. You may recall that it was the thirteen man code that was the first football code to co-opt one of our commonwealth cousins to the National Team

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

As for Thais looking at foreigners with Thai and assuming their relationship isn't legitimate or that the woman is only after money, I really think that isn't true at all. Most Thais actually can tell what social class someone comes from in how they communicate and even carry themselves. I know in my relationship with my wife, we have never encountered ignorance from Thais but plenty from foreigners. The ones that judge are pretty much the ones that are doing just what they are judging others by.

This is a good point. Thais can generally tell the class of the Thai girls that are with farangs. From the way they dress to how they speak, or just their mannerism. But foreigners--especially western tourists--are quick to assume immediately that every Thai girl with a farang are/were bargirls.

• Like 2

Greece 62 - 0 Thailand

SC

SC

Whilst I totally agree that society as a whole would benefit if the rules of rugby union were universally adopted, I have to draw the line at the acceptance of flies drinking one's beer.

In researching this topic for my forthcoming book, 'Teardrops in Siam', it is not quite such a clear cut issue as it might seem !

I have talked to girls from Isaan, who have looked me in the eye and asked why I should consider their trade immoral, when they are in fact now able to look after their families back home who would otherwise be struggling on $2 per day, and in doing good for them, they should be earning merits at the Temple !

The main objection amongst Thais that I have encountered, is when they see a 'farang' who is not only far older than the Thai girl he is going out with, but is grossly unattractive and would never be able to find a girlfriend back home in his own country, but can effectively 'buy' the company of one here!

As one of your correspondents said, it is comparatively easy to judge the class of Thai girl who is going out with a 'farang', and know straight away whether she is a bar girl or ex-bar girl. Those who are not, can be counted amongst some of the most conservative women you can find anywhere!. Some genuinely seek out 'farangs' as they are fed up with the 'butterfly' mentality of some Thai men !

Here's how I see it: taking care of one's family rates a +9. Being a bar girl to do it perhaps a -3. Net result is a gain of +6, so it is okay. And considering the woeful state of education available to less well off combined with a system of cronyism, nepotism, connections, how else can the girl help out her family in a significant way? I admit the families often go overboard in their greed, but this is how I see it. The girls are the family buffalo.

• Like 2

In fact, with the exception of Pattaya, which can be accurately described as a cesspit of crime and prostitution, which probably tarnishes the reputation of the whole country, prostitution in Thailand is not all that prevalent, except for those who go looking for it, and that can apply to all countries.

Yes, in Bangkok alone, the hundreds of massage parlors and thousands of karaoke bars are exactly what they say they are.

• Like 1

I have 3 children with my Thai wife, 2 sons and 1 daughter.

1 son is a policeman, another son is studying to be a lawyer and my daughter works as an administrative secretary at the head office of a well-known bank. They are adults now, and since they were babies, although to me they are still my babies, no matter how big and ugly my sons are, I have always taken an active interest in their activities and welfare. I am a worldly man, done the rounds and not easily hoodwinked. If it was the scenario as described in the OP, than I would know about it, or would be extremely suspicious and investigate further. This is what good parenting is all about. Of course in 99% of cases, when a daughter becomes a woman of ill repute, the parents will know or at least be highly suspicious. Those who have claimed that they had no idea their daughter was on the game, I simply do not believe.

Another point is; Western perspectives of the country have applied the idea that Thailand is the world’s biggest brothel. Mostly by the Western media, in movies, books and those who could be described as the enemies of Thailand. In fact, with the exception of Pattaya, which can be accurately described as a cesspit of crime and prostitution, which probably tarnishes the reputation of the whole country, prostitution in Thailand is not all that prevalent, except for those who go looking for it, and that can apply to all countries.

Most decent working class, middle class and upper class Thai women would not consider hitching up with a deadbeat farang, they much prefer to keep to their own and mainly within their own class structures according to their circumstances and status within Thai society. There are some exceptions to the rule, but mainly the prostitute class originate from the underclasses of Thai society and should not be equated or compared with the general population as a whole. This again pertains to all nationalities in all countries.

Because in the past and is still happening today, there are older predatory Western men that visit certain third world countries seeking out much younger girls, even minors in a lot of cases, has stuck in the minds of the people and when they see an aging gross farang walking hand in hand with a girl young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter, they automatically assume that the girl is a prostitute or only with the guy for financial benefits. I admit I am often guilty of making these judgements myself. In some cases they would be correct in their assumptions, in other cases they maybe wrong and too quick to judge, because the obvious is not always the fact. This is now a stigma for Thailand that has stuck and I must say that I too do not like the sight of seeing some old granddad getting intimate with some slutty looking young Thai girl out in public. But this doesn’t mean that the majority of Thais are of the same elk, as they too feel the same way and have the same or similar opinions as we do.

Your last paragraph has real relevance for me. We live in Rayong and regularly go to Pattaya for our "farang" shopping or a day out. My Thai wife and I have been married for a long time and we have a 16 year old daughter. If just my daughter and i go into Pattaya , the looks of disdain that i sometimes get when we are walking down the street (not hand in hand) are very disturbing and embarassing for me. As you say people are quick to judge but are not always right.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

As for Thais looking at foreigners with Thai and assuming their relationship isn't legitimate or that the woman is only after money, I really think that isn't true at all. Most Thais actually can tell what social class someone comes from in how they communicate and even carry themselves. I know in my relationship with my wife, we have never encountered ignorance from Thais but plenty from foreigners. The ones that judge are pretty much the ones that are doing just what they are judging others by.

This is a good point. Thais can generally tell the class of the Thai girls that are with farangs. From the way they dress to how they speak, or just their mannerism. But foreigners--especially western tourists--are quick to assume immediately that every Thai girl with a farang are/were bargirls.

Also note that most foreigners--especially western tourists--cannot tell the difference between a Thai girl and a katoey.

From the mouth of the horse..several gals in the family, including my gal's sister, worked as a bar hooker in order to find a farang to pay for the credit. Back here at home, it is not really addressed at all. Her older sister (worked at 45 years old and snagged a bright Canadian bloke) had to pay the bills and ran down to Krabi to hook someone. Did it fast, paid the bills, and recommends it to every gal she sees. She says everyone doesn't really care what you did, as long as you come back with the cash and take care of the family. Justifies the whole deal...like it or not. She just finished buying her sixth brand new car in two years!

Your last paragraph has real relevance for me. We live in Rayong and regularly go to Pattaya for our "farang" shopping or a day out. My Thai wife and I have been married for a long time and we have a 16 year old daughter. If just my daughter and i go into Pattaya , the looks of disdain that i sometimes get when we are walking down the street (not hand in hand) are very disturbing and embarassing for me. As you say people are quick to judge but are not always right.

Just a couple of questions;

1- What street(s) of the ones that you and your daughter walk down would you say gets you the highest amount of disdainful looks?

2- What percentage of people on the aforementioned street(s) give you these disdainful looks? I mean non-scientific, 'ballpark' figures, ie. everyone, every second one, one-in-three, one-in-ten...etc.?

Oh, while I am here, what does your daughter say? Does she even notice?

In fact, with the exception of Pattaya, which can be accurately described as a cesspit of crime and prostitution, which probably tarnishes the reputation of the whole country, prostitution in Thailand is not all that prevalent, except for those who go looking for it, and that can apply to all countries.

Yes, in Bangkok alone, the hundreds of massage parlors and thousands of karaoke bars are exactly what they say they are.

Every big(ger) city has prostitution. Beetlejuice has not been out much in recent decades from his ivory tower. Unbelievable from such a traveled person to make such a statement.

1- What street(s) of the ones that you and your daughter walk down would you say gets you the highest amount of disdainful looks?

2- What percentage of people on the aforementioned street(s) give you these disdainful looks? I mean non-scientific, 'ballpark' figures, ie. everyone, every second one, one-in-three, one-in-ten...etc.?

Interesting questions , let me think....

Starting at the bottom , i dont think she notices , or if she does, she doesn't show it or comment to me.

No. 2, i wouldn't say even 1 in 10 , i don't really count people passing but at a guess, i would say on a typical visit to Pattaya for say 4 hours, it would happen 3 or 4 times with the most notable ones being western women of unknown nationality. Most thais in Pattaya don't seem to care , but if you lived somewhere that had guys with AK47's walking down the street every few minutes you wouldn't react to that either.

No. 1. As we are usually there for shopping or movies it is usually around the tourist area, Beach and second roads. Central shopping centre appears to be the place where i notice it most often, that or walking down Beach Road.

End of survey

Just thought I'd mention that I get some VERY Penetrating looks from Thais when my 13 y.o. daughter and I are out shopping.

Since she was very little, she has always held my hand as we walk along. Over the past couple of years, this seems to have "caught the eye" of quite a number of people, both Thai and Farang who obviously assume the wrong thing. They see this fabulous looking kid with her Dad, walking along, laughing and enjoying ourselves..... and the first thought, sadly is....... "Dirty Old Farang with young Thai."

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 1

Interesting questions , let me think....

Starting at the bottom , i dont think she notices , or if she does, she doesn't show it or comment to me.

No. 2, i wouldn't say even 1 in 10 , i don't really count people passing but at a guess, i would say on a typical visit to Pattaya for say 4 hours, it would happen 3 or 4 times with the most notable ones being western women of unknown nationality. Most thais in Pattaya don't seem to care , but if you lived somewhere that had guys with AK47's walking down the street every few minutes you wouldn't react to that either.

No. 1. As we are usually there for shopping or movies it is usually around the tourist area, Beach and second roads. Central shopping centre appears to be the place where i notice it most often, that or walking down Beach Road.

End of survey

The other thing that probably doesn't help things is that, my daughter has spent a lot of her life in Australia so is quite western. Regardless of my complaints, she always wants to wear those short denim shorts that are so popular with teenage girls in Oz now. Appearance is everything, especially in somewhere like Pattaya!

Snake24 I think you need to get out a bit more and learn a bit more about Thai Culture while you are at it. You are trying to apply your own values to a totally different cultural scene. The sooner people on this site accept, THIS IS THAILAND, not Eastern Europe, not Western Europe or anywhere else in the World. C'mon peeps, get your heads out of the Chang and apply a bit of common sense. The next thing is you will be expecting snow in Bangkok for goodness sake!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1