Have We Been Conned?

mesquite

By "we" I mean we farangs living in Chiang Mai.

We have been told to speak in a soft voice, to wai correctly, to respect Thai culture, to be polite. Learn to speak the Thai language, or at least a few words, they've said.

I for one bought into this hook, line and sinker.

But now come the Chinese. Have you ever seen them in a restaurant or massage shop? Yelling, no attempt to wai, loudly demanding discounts, otherwise rude behavior, etc.

And it seems to be working! The Thais put those special Chinese floats in the moat a couple of months ago as well as those statue-type things on the side of the moat. They seem to be catering to the Chinese. There are many Chinese signs around town now.

Why should we be polite, speak softly and wai, when yelling seems to work better? We can learn from the Chinese.

• Like 2

I spoke with a tour guide just across from Thape he said he avoids them as much as he can . If he has a choice between farrang and Chinese he will take the farrang first ..... I asked him why and he just shook his head and said bad customer never want to pay , always complain too much ...

The Thais put those special Chinese floats in the moat a couple of months ago as well as those statue-type things on the side of the moat.

That was actually for the Vegetarian Festival ( Ahan Jay ) not Chinese per se'

Although I did wonder why they took them down so quick this year

Edited by meechai