Question about Thai with Dual Citizenship Going-to/Coming-from Thailand

Okay, this is not an urgent issue or anything, and I don't have any real stake in it (I also don't have all the information in the story!), it's more that I'm curious:

A close Thai friend of mine's younger sister has lived in Australia (and is married to an Australian) for a while now (almost 20 years, I believe) and is an Australian citizen. She insists that she's still a Thai citizen as well.

Well, my friend tells me that every time her sister comes to Thailand for a visit of longer than a month, she has to leave for a neighboring country "in order to get a stamp" (my friend's words, in Thai) so she can stay in Thailand longer.

I'm no expert on dual citizenship, but this sounds totally unbelievable to me. If you're a citizen of a country (the country of your birth no less), and you return there for a visit while living abroad, isn't it just a given that you can stay as long as you want...I mean, for the rest of your life, in theory...and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone, much less go to Laos "to get a stamp" that will enable you to stay in Thailand longer than a month.

Now granted, I do not know all the details of this particular situation, having only heard it from my friend, but one thing seems clear to me: my friend's sister must certainly be lying to her about SOME aspect of this...right?

My suspicion is that her sister did in fact give up her Thai citizenship and has entered Thailand on an Australian passport, requiring her to leave the country and return, as she only gets 30-day stay without a visa. Yet, as I said, my friend said her sister insists that she has a current Thai passport and has (recently) entered Thailand on it. Yet she is indeed making plans to leave for Laos soon, so she can come back to Thailand for another month. So again, for whatever reason, it seems the sister is lying to my friend. My friend told me "I guess this is one of Australia's laws or something?" Which again, sounds ludicrous to me...it's none of the Australian government's business how long a THAI citizen stays in Thailand if she enters on a Thai passport, right?

Like I said, haha, not a life-and-death matter, but can someone with experience of this nature (e.g. your Thai wife has dual citizenship with your home country--preferably Australia!--and returns to Thailand for stays longer than a month with no problem) address this, so I can tell my friend (again) with some certainty that her sister is lying to her in some way?

Thanks.

(note: these are not youngsters we're talking about, haha, both women, my friend and her sister, are over 40...)

Far as I know if she has a Thai passport of course she doesn't have to leave. Vice versa if she holds an Australian passport. She is a dual citizen.

I know several years back there was a law that you couldn't hold both passports. A guy at the Thai consulate here in Australia was telling me. He was working in Thailand, had been there for some 20 years and had to either surrender his Aussie or Thai passport. For the record he kept his Aussie passport and therefore his citizenship. The law has since changed, now I don't know who's law it is, I assume it must be an agreement of both countries?

So perhaps since your friends sister has been around long enough she did give up her Thai citizenship?

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

• Like 1

Far as I know if she has a Thai passport of course she doesn't have to leave. Vice versa if she holds an Australian passport. She is a dual citizen.

I know several years back there was a law that you couldn't hold both passports. A guy at the Thai consulate here in Australia was telling me. He was working in Thailand, had been there for some 20 years and had to either surrender his Aussie or Thai passport. For the record he kept his Aussie passport and therefore his citizenship. The law has since changed, now I don't know who's law it is, I assume it must be an agreement of both countries?

So perhaps since your friends sister has been around long enough she did give up her Thai citizenship?

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

Thanks...that sounds very likely. I'm thinking she was embarrassed (in front of her family) about giving up her Thai citizenship, hence the lie...

• Like 1

To the post above, as I said there was a time that would have been about 20 years ago you couldn't hold dual citizenship between Australia and Thailand. Perhaps she and her husband decided Australia was home therefore take the Australian citizenship and forfeit the Thai citizenship. It wouldn't have taken a request to do this, I mean who would request that anyway, it would have been demanded by the government as part of becoming an Australian citizen. She perhaps didn't have to hand her Thai passport in, it was just cancelled. This would explain her still having a now old Thai passport.

I repeat I'm slightly speculating here, having a guess. Got a feeling I'm close though!

Op, if you don't get the answer from here but you do find out, it would be great if you came back and let us know. Thanks.

• Like 1

If she goes into Thailand and wants to stay more than 30 days, she can by going to Thai Immigration and get an extension of stay for 1 year for 1900 Baht. This is because her Australian Passport shows her birth place as Thailand. She can make this multi-entry for another 3800 Baht. She does have to provide a letter giving her reason for extending, eg mother sick, buffalo sick. She does not have to leave the Kingdom.

My wife does this all the time, as I wont allow her to have a Thai Passport, for many reasons.

If she goes into Thailand and wants to stay more than 30 days, she can by going to Thai Immigration and get an extension of stay for 1 year for 1900 Baht. This is because her Australian Passport shows her birth place as Thailand. She can make this multi-entry for another 3800 Baht. She does have to provide a letter giving her reason for extending, eg mother sick, buffalo sick. She does not have to leave the Kingdom.

My wife does this all the time, as I wont allow her to have a Thai Passport, for many reasons.

What reasonable reasons are there?

As far as I am aware, there is no transaction that a foreigner can perform with the Australian govt that will result in his renouncing his Thai citizenship, including surrendering a passport. Renouncing one's citizenship requires a transaction between the citizen and the govt of his home country. Formerly, the US govt did not recognize dual citizenship and required a foreigner to foreswear allegiance to his home country on accepting American citizenship. However, those actions in themselves had no impact on the actual status of his original citizenship, which requires the permission and action of the home country. In addition, some countries, such as France and the former USSR (and probably the current govt of Russia) do not permit citizens to renounce their citizenship period under any circumstances.

During the period that the US refused to recognize dual citizenship, many Jewish Americans nevertheless took out citizenship in Israel. Although the US State Dept expressed its displeasure over such transactions it was powerless to stop them. Indeed, it was the influence of these dual US-Israeli citizens that induced the State Dept to change its policy to a more favorable one with respect to dual citizenship in general.

I am pretty sure the woman in question simply needs to apply for a Thai passport which will then enable her to enter and remain in Thailand at will.

To the post above, as I said there was a time that would have been about 20 years ago you couldn't hold dual citizenship between Australia and Thailand. Perhaps she and her husband decided Australia was home therefore take the Australian citizenship and forfeit the Thai citizenship. It wouldn't have taken a request to do this, I mean who would request that anyway, it would have been demanded by the government as part of becoming an Australian citizen. She perhaps didn't have to hand her Thai passport in, it was just cancelled. This would explain her still having a now old Thai passport.

I repeat I'm slightly speculating here, having a guess. Got a feeling I'm close though!
Op, if you don't get the answer from here but you do find out, it would be great if you came back and let us know. Thanks.

Edited by CaptHaddock
  • Like 1

Australia used to not allow dual citizenship but that changed in, I think, 1984. They were never very serious about it. There are about a million Australians who are also British citizens who never surrendered their British citizenship when it was illegal for Australians to have both. Finally Oz must have realised it was a rather pointless and unenforceable law.

If she became an Australian 20 years ago, it was possible that she was told she wasn't allowed to have two passports under the law as it was then. She may not be aware that the Oz law changed and is probably still travelling to Thailand on her Oz passport, having let her Thai one lapse many years ago. However, Oz has never demanded proof of renunciation of other citizenship and renouncing Thai nationality is a fairly complex process for you have to make a specific application at an embassy or Special Branch in Thailand and await the Interior Minister's approval. Then your name is published in the Royal Gazette which makes the renunciation final. If she has never applied to renounce and her name has never been published in the RG, she is still Thai. She can just apply for a new passport. In Thailand she will have to get on a tabian baan and obtain an ID card first. At an embassy I believe they just need proof she is Thai, perhaps in the form of an expired passport.

Even after entering Thailand on a foreign passport a Thai citizen can go to Immigration and get a one year extension without the need to go to a neighbouring country. I think you need an ID card to do this though. So she may as well just herself a Thai passport again.

• Like 1

Australia used to not allow dual citizenship but that changed in, I think, 1984. They were never very serious about it. There are about a million Australians who are also British citizens who never surrendered their British citizenship when it was illegal for Australians to have both. Finally Oz must have realised it was a rather pointless and unenforceable law.

If she became an Australian 20 years ago, it was possible that she was told she wasn't allowed to have two passports under the law as it was then. She may not be aware that the Oz law changed and is probably still travelling to Thailand on her Oz passport, having let her Thai one lapse many years ago. However, Oz has never demanded proof of renunciation of other citizenship and renouncing Thai nationality is a fairly complex process for you have to make a specific application at an embassy or Special Branch in Thailand and await the Interior Minister's approval. Then your name is published in the Royal Gazette which makes the renunciation final. If she has never applied to renounce and her name has never been published in the RG, she is still Thai. She can just apply for a new passport. In Thailand she will have to get on a tabian baan and obtain an ID card first. At an embassy I believe they just need proof she is Thai, perhaps in the form of an expired passport.

Even after entering Thailand on a foreign passport a Thai citizen can go to Immigration and get a one year extension without the need to go to a neighbouring country. I think you need an ID card to do this though. So she may as well just herself a Thai passport again.

Yes, I think now after reading your response (and previous responses) that this is very likely what happened; she just let the passport run out and didn't bother to renew it. I'll tell my friend to encourage her sister to renew it now, it would make her life a lot easier!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

is she not an adult

Edited by steve187

Yes, I think now after reading your response (and previous responses) that this is very likely what happened; she just let the passport run out and didn't bother to renew it. I'll tell my friend to encourage her sister to renew it now, it would make her life a lot easier!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Just remember your friends’ wife must have a Thai ID card to obtain a new Thai passport, costs 1,000 baht, details at:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

Australian law has generally always allowed foreigners who take up Australian citizenship to keep their old nationalities. So dual nationality was allowed in that sense.

The problem and unfairness lay (with some exceptions), when an Australian citizen voluntarily took up a new citizenship (that they didn't already have) and as a consequence, automatically lost their Australian citizenship as a result. However, as most people know, that law was done away with in 2004. Though, to my mind, that provision would have never affected the OP's situation.

To the OP:

The younger sister is still a Thai national, in addition to being an Australian citizen. Unless she voluntarily renounced her Thai citizenship (by this I mean filling out forms at the Thai embassy and then having that revocation offically approved in the Royal Gazette in Thailand) then she is still a Thai national.

What is left is a simple issue of passport usage.

IF she entered Thailand on her Thai PP, she can stay as long as she likes without having to go anywhere. Just like any other Thai citizen.

If she entered Thailand on her Australian passport, despite being a Thai citizen still, she's subjected herself to immigration rules applied to Australian citizens. So yes, 30 day border hops unless she gets a long stay visa put in her Australian PP, which she can do upon showing evidence of also holding Thai nationality.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

You keep her chained up as well?

As a Thai/Australian PP holder, I can't yet find one reason why not to use my Thai PP. I'd be interested to hear what slipshod theories you have?

a woman I know allowed her thai passport to expire after she obtained canadian citizenship and began travelling on a canadian passport. a few years ago she applied for another thai passport so she wouldnt have to do border runs required by the visa in her canadian passport. now she enters and leaves thailand on her thai passport. she leaves and enters canada on her canadian passport.

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

As a Thai/Australian PP holder, I can't yet find one reason why not to use my Thai PP. I'd be interested to hear what slipshod theories you have?

As a person who married a Thai, probably many years before you were born,(from following many of your previous posts) and having two Thai sons that would surely kick your a$$ if they heard you speak to their father like that.

Regardless of this I will demean myself to answer your questions.

1. You know very little about older Northern Thai women if you think any mere male could keep them in any form of physical or emotional chains. Especially my wife.

2. When we married her national rights were removed and all of here various property and business interests, over the years, are in her maiden name. For her to rearrange her affairs to get a Thai Passport in her married name, the only way the double passport evasion of Visa fees works in this high security world is just too much trouble.

The reason you may not of thought of this is possibly your Thai male inherent arrogance.

Yes you touched a nerve as do many of your "know it all" posts

As a person who married a Thai, probably many years before you were born,(from following many of your previous posts) and having two Thai sons that would surely kick your a$$ if they heard you speak to their father like that.

1. You know very little about older Northern Thai women if you think any mere male could keep them in any form of physical or emotional chains. Especially my wife.

2. When we married her national rights were removed and all of here various property and business interests, over the years, are in her maiden name. For her to rearrange her affairs to get a Thai Passport in her married name, the only way the double passport evasion of Visa fees works in this high security world is just too much trouble.

The reason you may not of thought of this is possibly your Thai male inherent arrogance.

how did they know to remove her rights? what year was this??

Oxymoron, please remain civil. Threats of violence are impolite, even if unexercisable.

If you were in a relationship with your wife before the ministerial regulation to do with Thais with foreign spouses buying land came in 1999, your wife would have indeed lost her rights to buy land but could have continued to hold any land she owned before that. These regulations applied to Thai women cohabiting with foreigners regardless of whether they were legally married or not but obviously having a foreign surname would have been a red flag to land officials and in those days it was compulsory for a woman to take her husband's surname, if the marriage was registered in Thailand. In addition, children born to a Thai mother before Feb 1992 were not Thai, if their birth certificate showed they had a foreign father, although they are now retroactively. Regarding business investments there has never been any regulation under the Foreign Business Act or its predecessor to prevent Thais with foreign spouses from owning majority stakes in companies or other business entities.

Obviously how you and your wife arrange your personal travel documentation is your own affair. However, I would like to make clear to others that there is nothing to fear for a Thai woman with a foreign husband in having a Thai passport either in her maiden name or her married name. These days it makes no difference to her rights to buy land and it never affected her right to own a business. In addition children born to one or more Thai parents anywhere in the world are automatically Thai and have the option but not the obligation to renounce their Thai nationality at the age of 20. For most Thai dual nationals travelling to Thailand on a Thai passport makes the most sense.

• Like 2

[quote name="oxymoron" post="6921976" timestamp="1381726103"

And here I was for thinking it was my inhereted Australian arrogance for daring to call a spade a spade. People like myself just can't win. If it is isn't one racial stereotype being thrown out at me, it is another, no? But as the great Paul Keating once said, it is a bit like being flogged by wet lettuce when it comes from certain people.

Additionally, the reason I had not thought of it is, well, I know the law.

For what you are trying to say in (2), you are correct if we debating this on some chatboard pre-1992 when indeed all her rights as a Thai were removed from marrying a foreigner. But they have subsequently been reinstated automatically with the:

- Nationality Act (1992, version 3) ammendments which automatically restored her Thai citizenship and to your sons.

- The Supreme Court decision in 1999 which made bans on owning land by Thai's married to foreigners being declared unconsitutional.

- As of 2009 (?) onwards women were allowed to keep their maiden name if they so wish.

So any and all legal restrictions that applied against her in a sexist manner under Thai legislation are now gone.

So there is absolutely no reason why she can't get a passport in her maiden name. 1000 baht and three days wait and that is about it.

But it seems you are content with making her jump through hoops, and paying more, to satisfy some sort of security paranoia. So be it.

Each to their own Samran, let it slide. Oxymoron gave in more detail his reasons for the actions. He could have cleared the air in his first post, we all took it a bit bluntly. It was easily misunderstood imo also.

• Like 1

But it seems you are content with making her jump through hoops, and paying more, to satisfy some sort of security paranoia. So be it.

Off Topic I know - sorry ............. but I do wonder if your

"two Thai sons that would surely kick your a$$ if they heard you speak to their father like that"

are also being denied the benefit of their right to Dual Nationality by your totally ill-informed outlook and prejudices.

Patrick

Each to their own Samran, let it slide. Oxymoron gave in more detail his reasons for the actions. He could have cleared the air in his first post, we all took it a bit bluntly. It was easily misunderstood imo also.

There is no room at all for misunderstanding in the Post by Oxymoron.

"I wont allow her to have a Thai Passport, for many reasons"

How can any man think, even for a second, that his Marriage Contract gives him the right to "allow" or "dis-allow" the free will of his wife??

Patrick

• Like 2

"two Thai sons that would surely kick your a$$ if they heard you speak to their father like that"

are also being denied the benefit of their right to Dual Nationality by your totally ill-informed outlook and prejudices.

Patrick

And here I was Patrick thinking that all Australian's used the word 'arse' instead of the US 'ass'.

Musta been my Thai arrogance coming through on that one....

Patrick

And here I was Patrick thinking that all Australian's used the word 'arse' instead of the US 'ass'.

Musta been my Thai arrogance coming through on that one....

I do apologise Samran!

I totally Screwed up the "Quote" function when I tried to reply to "Oxymoron"!

It was to him my response was directed - definitely not at you!

I'm a Brit so you will know I would not waste a "$" unless absolutely necessary!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Sigh.... Getting back on topic. My wife has dual Aussie/Thai citizenship and passports, and we live in Thailand. When we go back to Oz she leaves Thailand on her Thai one and uses her Aussie one to enter Australia. Can be a problem with Thai immigration when leaving as no Oz visa in the Thai passport but showing the Oz passport if asked usually shuts them up.

Coming back to Thailand she always shows both passports at Sydney check in and explains we live in Thailand. She is then checked in with her Thai passport (I guess they are used to this) as a Thai. When going through Oz immigration she just shows her Oz passport and never a problem. If his wife is checking in at the Aussie airport with her Oz passport only she will more than likely have a problem using her Thai passport to enter Thailand as she is classed as an Australian. All of the above is from many trips that we have done. I know that checking in with Oz passport only, is a problem as my wife did it once and had a hell of a time trying to get into Thailand using the Thai passport. They wanted her to enter on the Oz one then do a land border exit, then re-enter on the Thai one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app