Return to YouTube's old way of buffering

PoorSucker

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some peoples connections are so bad/slow being able buffer the video for a minute or more before viewing (i.e., buffer more of the video) allows them to view the video without the constant stop and go buffering which DASH can cause on a slow connection. Yeap, DASH saves bandwidth...sometimes it saves bandwidth simply due to a person with a slow connection becoming frustrated with the buffering DASH method and just quits the video.

When I was on TOT ADSL several years back with a slow international connection the only way I could usually view a YouTube video was to let it buffer for a while before hitting the play button. But I guess now days you can't do that due to DASH unless disabling DASH. I don't open have a buffering problem now days that I'm on True DOCSIS/cable internet, but I'm still going to look into Crossy's post about turning DASH off.

• Like 1

Why would you want to revert back to old days of youtube? when clearly the current YouTube is optimized to save global bandwidth

not very helpful when you are on a very sow connection... but as long as it works ok for you, who cares about anyone else eh??

totster :)

Why would you want to revert back to old days of youtube? when clearly the current YouTube is optimized to save global bandwidth

it specially saves my bandwidth as it stops every 5 seconds and I can't use it.

I know Thailands crap Internet is the reason, but before I could press play and the pause it and half an hour later I could watch it.

• Like 1

it specially saves my bandwidth as it stops every 5 seconds and I can't use it.

I know Thailands crap Internet is the reason, but before I could press play and the pause it and half an hour later I could watch it.

Actually this is kind of works best for me now, (i have less and less desire to install more software.)

I wait for the vid to start to play for a few seconds then hit pause and go about my business elsewhere, when i come back usually it is much easier to watch and a good deal has pre-loaded, however replay does not do the trick anymore.

Downloading the video first and then viewing it will definitely work, but it's just extra effort and time to watch a video you might decide after watching a little bit of it you don't like it/it's not what you thought it would be and you don't even finish viewing it. I much prefer just viewing it straight from YouTube.

• Like 1

Just installed the FF addon and disabled DASH and the continuous buffering after pausing works great. I was doing that in the past when there were slowdowns in the network and paused it and did something else and come back with nearly completely buffered video.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Downloading the video first and then viewing it will definitely work, but it's just extra effort and time to watch a video you might decide after watching a little bit of it you don't like it/it's not what you thought it would be and you don't even finish viewing it. I much prefer just viewing it straight from YouTube.

Anyone know of a good current YouTube downloader for Mac? It seems like the most popular 4 or 5 Mac downloaders have not been updated for YouTube's recent tweaks, and do not work.

Sent from my tin can via string.

Anyone know of a good current YouTube downloader for Mac? It seems like the most popular 4 or 5 Mac downloaders have not been updated for YouTube's recent tweaks, and do not work.

Firefox then search YouTube download in ya add ons. First one that comes up "you tube downloader" I think is called is really really good

This one works great for Mac...I use it on Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloader-professi/elicpjhcidhpjomhibiffojpinpmmpil?hl=en

This one works great for Mac...I use it on Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloader-professi/elicpjhcidhpjomhibiffojpinpmmpil?hl=en

The first practical, definitive piece of advice to help answer my question. Thank you! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Tell that to my two year old son when he's cartoon stops every 30 seconds for buffering.

You could tell his dad to get a faster Internet connection.......

It will not get faster because of the limited bandwith out from Thailand.

Works great now without DASH buffering.

Tell that to my two year old son when he's cartoon stops every 30 seconds for buffering.

You could tell his dad to get a faster Internet connection.......

It will not get faster because of the limited bandwith out from Thailand.

Works great now without DASH buffering.

Is the International bandwidth really a limitation anymore or is it just an old myth back from the days where the providers openly advertised with different national and international bandwidth?

Sometimes I get download speeds of 1 MB/sec (10 Mbit/sec) of documentaries I find hard to believe are seeded in Thailand.

Is the International bandwidth really a limitation anymore or is it just an old myth back from the days where the providers openly advertised with different national and international bandwidth?

Sometimes I get download speeds of 1 MB/sec (10 Mbit/sec) of documentaries I find hard to believe are seeded in Thailand.

I don't think your download passes through the governments censorship servers.

• 2 weeks later...

Before i re-read this thread or try anything:

1-is this software you must install or a website you open and use online?

2-will it REPLAY the old way, without re-load or buffering?

pleas and thanks

There are browser addons for most browsers and can be found here - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114002

DASH is the option to enable or disable continuous buffering or standard block buffering. Info here - DASH Playback

One caveat though - "Please note that by disabling Dash Playback will result in 480p and 1080p not being available. This is because of a recent YouTube change."

• Like 1

Before i re-read this thread or try anything:

1-is this software you must install or a website you open and use online?

2-will it REPLAY the old way, without re-load or buffering?

pleas and thanks

1. Software, browser plug-in.

2. Yes

• Like 1