Return to YouTube's old way of buffering

PoorSucker

sounds like its worth a try

is there anyway to determine the safety of a download or and installation in regards to malware and/or tracking and privacy?

i scan my downloads with anti virus before i execute or install them but that is only part of the answer to my concerns

on top of that issue the more software install = slower system?

i try to install as little as possible but this one might be well worth it!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst thing i find is if i need to go back just a few seconds the whole thing freezes up, dreadful.

I suppose i MUST try this suggestion.

On a related note, i find streaming or watching online is actually with a slower rate of data transfer than if i simply download and view. Almost always.

• 2 weeks later...

and this at the bottom of the article

Windows users, take note: my fellow How To blogger Nicole Cozma tested YouTube Center with both Chrome and Firefox on a Windows machine and the extension did not work. To conclude, your mileage may vary.

Curious as I'm running FF 25.0 under Windows 7 and the YouTube Center extension works fine for me.

Windows users, take note: my fellow How To blogger Nicole Cozma tested YouTube Center with both Chrome and Firefox on a Windows machine and the extension did not work. To conclude, your mileage may vary.

Curious as I'm running FF 25.0 under Windows 7 and the YouTube Center extension works fine for me.

I am running FF 17 (did i fail to mention) and it clearly is not desined to wrok with such.

I am running FF 17 (did i fail to mention) and it clearly is not desined to wrok with such.

Why don't you update FF ? Always best to keep software updated.

totster :)

I HATE updates, PERIOD but that is just me.

I have already been burned once by a FF update on an older computer.

Good idea but i will do without for as long as possible.

Thanks.

Well, then you can hardly complain when new software won't work with your old and outdated version.

totster smile.png

and there was this as well:

at the bottom of the article

so even if i took the plunge it still may not work

yep i will hold out for ff

i tired it on chrome and noticed NO difference with DASH off

but could be my slow connection

very hard to say at this point

Edited by infinity11

With Chrome I tried another extension called "YouTube Options" which allows you to disable DASH. But when disabling DASH in the extension YouTube would still just buffer X-amount ahead (i.e., DASH still working). Whether DASH was enabled or disabled in the extension it didn't make any difference in how YouTube buffered. Your results may vary.

Maybe YouTube is using countermeasures against extensions which try to disable DASH.

• Like 1

YT Control Center with DASH disabled, working as advertised for me on FF.

Short & medium sized videos will load all the way to the end like they used, including continued loading if on pause.

Movies (1 hr +), even on high resolution settings, usually keep an inch or so ahead of play.

• Like 1

OK, I installed "Youtube Center"...got it directly from the developer's web site as identified by the OP since it's not in the Chrome Store (or I didn't find it)...disabled DASH in the extension and DASH buffering no longer occurs.

Note: there is a extension in the Chrome Store also named "Youtube Center" but it's different and gets low review ratings...I'm pretty sure it's completely different since it has a different developer's name and icon than the YouTube Center extension I just installed. I didn't install the YouTube Center extension in the Chrome store since it had a low rating...and at the time really didn't care about DASH buffering because on my True 15Mb DOCSIS plan I really don't have any Youtube viewing/buffering issues. With DASH enabled my videos are usually bufferred about 1 minute ahead which is plenty.

The other extension I tried which is named "Youtube Options" in the Chrome Store and which I mentioned in my post #46 does not disable DASH buffering when disabling DASH in the extension's settings...at least it don't work on my 'puter. In fact, I just noticed in that extension when changing that DASH enable/disable setting it basically says you can give the DASH enable/disable toggle a try but it may break things...a statement like that don't give a person a lot of warm fuzzies does it. Well, it didn't break anything but it just don't work on my 'puter.

Anyway the Youtube Center extension you get from the links in the OP's post does work...at least on my 'puter which is running Win 7 and Chrome. Just goes to show various apps/add-ons/extensions which suppose to do the same thing may or may not work as advertised for all people.

And for Youtube "downloads" I tried 3 different extensions before I found one that worked...that is, allowing super easy download of Youtube video which Google don't want you to do/extension developers to put in extensions...in fact, supposedly extensions are not allowed in the Chrome Store if they do allow download also...that function must be disabled in case the extension did other things also to remain in the Chrome Store. Anyway, the extension I ended up using is called "Ultimate Youtube Downloader" available from the ChromeExtensions website.

Edit: after posting this and playing with YouTube Center a little I noticed a Youtube Center note regarding the disabling of DASH...and how it will result in 480p and 1080p not being made available which may be important to some....see the last sentence in below quote from the extension's Help:

Dash Playback

Dash Playback is a method on how a video should be buffered. If Dash Playback is enabled it will buffer the video in blocks. That means that every time you seek in the video it will have to rebuffer that block and it will not buffer the next block if you're not at the very end of the current block. If Dash Playback is turned off YouTube will load normally where you can pause the video and it will buffer to the end of the video and you can jump around in the video as much as you like.

YouTube's default option has Dash enabled, because it's buffering faster for people with a good internet connection. YouTube Center also have Dash Playback enabled by default.

Read more about Dash on Wikipedia

Please note that by disabling Dash Playback will result in 480p and 1080p not being available. This is because of a recent YouTube change.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Since Youtube Center (the one that actually works & not the one with the same name) is not on the Chrome Store but you can still load it by downloading it from the developer's website and then dragging-and-dropping the download into your Chrome Extensions area to install the extension, it appears come Jan 14 we won't be able to do that anymore. See this 7 Nov 13 PC Mag article.

Sounds like Chrome will be updated to prevent the adding of extensions not listed on/obtained from the Chrome Store...and since Google doesn't allow extensions that allow Youtube "downloading" it could get a little tough to maybe impossible loading extensions for other sites. I wonder how some extension developers will get around this issue.

• Like 1

Me no like Google or Chrome, Ug Ug (said while beating heavy club on stone cave floor). 

Edit to add:  Whilst wearing tin foil hat.  Ug Ug. 

Boy, you are in trouble now...the Google computers have probably spotted your anti-Google products/services comment and has turned the info over to the NSA for further monitoring. You have just pissed off the god of moderators--Google. ;)

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

• Like 2

Well now i did notice a difference in chrome BUT i do not think chrome likes it.

The vids do not always load the first time and must refresh.

Now for something completely different.

How freaking annoying are facebook pop up notifications while trying to type responses.

They pop up starting on the lower left and work their way up the screen.

I am looking into FB Purity as the most/only viable option so far.

Perhaps a topic for another thread.

An odd problem showing up now and that is an Error box shows up overlayed on top of the preview images when I move my cursor over it. Disabling YouTube center makes it go away but haven't found the specific option in the YouTube center that is causing it. Anyone else seeing it?

post-566-0-22973200-1385271718_thumb.jpg

An odd problem showing up now and that is an Error box shows up overlayed on top of the preview images when I move my cursor over it. Disabling YouTube center makes it go away but haven't found the specific option in the YouTube center that is causing it. Anyone else seeing it?

attachicon.gifYouTube.jpg

Same here with the error message appearing. Disable YouTube Center and the problem goes away. Have tried disabling/enabling several of the YouTube Center settings with negative results so far.

Same here with the error message appearing. Disable YouTube Center and the problem goes away. Have tried disabling/enabling several of the YouTube Center settings with negative results so far.

Me 3. Doesn't seem to impact anything though, vids come up alright when selected.

• Like 1

Me 3. Doesn't seem to impact anything though, vids come up alright when selected.

Yea, I can't see where its impacting anything...but I really haven't Youtubed much over the last few days. I tried disabling/enabling a bunch of settings in YouTube Center but it didn't get rid of the thumbnail error notice. When you look into the coding it appears to be some error with the Thumbnail Input/Output.

[VideoThumbnail Quality] IO Error => Error!

Yea, I can't see where its impacting anything...but I really haven't Youtubed much over the last few days. I tried disabling/enabling a bunch of settings in YouTube Center but it didn't get rid of the thumbnail error notice. When you look into the coding it appears to be some error with the Thumbnail Input/Output.

[VideoThumbnail Quality] IO Error => Error!

Did some Youtubing tonight and played around with the YouTube Center settings a little more. Remembered the post I made a few days ago about above error coding. In the settings I found a setting called "Quality" under the UI, VideoThumbnail menu. The Quality setting block was checked, I unchecked it, problem gone, no more Error! message appearing when you mouse over a video thumbnail.

• Like 2